Of Rev, death and divine intervention

leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Of Rev, death and divine intervention

Post by leibniz » #350894

Often we ask ourselves, is rev worth it? Some say it is the worst mode and others say it is the best.

There is (or perhaps used to be) a saying among admins: "Rev is a hands off mode."
Which I have always disagreed with.
The literal interpretation is obviously false. The contextual meaning is that rev leads to murder that would not be acceptable in other modes.
Which takes us to the main question. How much more grief should we tolerate in rev?

I'll talk about the specific round that inspired me to reconsider things.
So, rev is in progress and there is chaos as usual. The round was dragging on. The HoS says on the radio that everyone should come to cargo for implants or they will be killed.
Later I see security entering chemistry and gunning down the unimplanted chemists who were just working.
I felt that this is where a line was crossed.
When you are simply moving from place to place and just killing everyone for simply not being explicitly on your team (as the "good guys"), we have strayed too far from the core SS13 gameplay, it is no longer a game of paranoia.
Indiscriminate killing like that eliminates decision making and leads to a game without depth.
Some time ago our idea of fair play was that you have to do something wrong before security wrecks you. But it is also said that security must go full Hitler in rev or they lose. (losing in a game because you did not use the tryhardest way of dealing with things? not acceptable)

After that I decided to send in a deathsquad with the default objective. I was not punishing security (they ended up winning), I simply wanted to take an already lengthy round to its logical conclusion and also appease ghost tears a bit.

When the HoS perished he complained the deathsquad are just killing everyone.
Will security players achieve self-awareness one day? We cannot know.
He said he'd make a complaint about me if he wasn't FNR banned but sadly I did not get to use the excuse that it was an """"event"""".

Who was in the wrong here?
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Of Rev, death and divine intervention

Post by oranges » #350898

you for making this stupid ass post
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #350899

thot_slayer wrote:you for making this stupid ass post
I'll post something nice on singulo too in a few days, no need to get jealous
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #350901

Wow why are people killing people who aren't on their team during team deathmatch I'd better send in the deathsquad to punish them
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #350903

Lazengann wrote:Wow why are people killing people who aren't on their team during team deathmatch I'd better send in the deathsquad to punish them
Yeah especially after that ultimatum to get implanted, gosh who would have thought disobeying direct orders during rev might get your killed!
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #350906

CPTANT wrote:
Lazengann wrote:Wow why are people killing people who aren't on their team during team deathmatch I'd better send in the deathsquad to punish them
Yeah especially after that ultimatum to get implanted, gosh who would have thought disobeying direct orders during rev might get your killed!
In that case just make everyone not implanted a rev after 15 minutes so they can at least fight back
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #350907

They can fight back
You're under no obligation to let yourself die

Then again maybe you shouldn't be surprised if you die when you do the thing security tells you not to do
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #350908

>Don't follow ultimatum
>You're not happy people suffer from consequences because of this
>Decide to abuse admin buttons
>Make a thread pinning this as the gamemode fault

Ebin
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #350909

that would just turn rev strategy into hiding for 15 minutes to automatically get all the crew under your control.

How security deals with a revolution comes down to their numbers and how pressured they feel. It can range from just arresting and implanting obvious revs to roaming death squads killing anyone without the flashing blue icon. Grouping up and stunning people who aren't implanted is the safest method. Killing them for being unimplanted is crude, but it skips out on the processing part which slows things down. Downside to killing unimplanted is you can't recruit the dead to your side, also it tends to turn the crew against you.

Personally I wouldn't mind a sort of Minor Victory/ Major Victory system like Nuclear Operatives have. For loyalists it might be keeping a certain percentage of the crew alive while eliminating the revolutionaries. For revolutionaries you might count how many crew members are part of the revolution and unimplanted crew members count when the round ends if they aren't dead (so small but quick revolutions are still rewarded). Minor victory is still a victory, but represents the fact you won with scorched earth tactics, so it's more of a pyrrhic victory.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #350911

We don't ask security to be punching bags in rev and unfortunately, the bar for violence set by revs is 'murder at any given moment by anyone', so security has had to respond in kind. This acknowledgement doesn't rule out security still doing something spectacularly stupid even with their lax rev rules, so depending on time of round, dead vs alive player count etc., deathsquad or other IC consequences are not out of the question.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #350918

Leibniz wrote:Who was in the wrong here?
In my opinion, Leibniz messed up here; divine intervention was not appropriate due to the fact that the crew had ample warning from the HoS for what is in fact routine behavior during on-station revolutionary uprisings; security is, to be blunt, forced to act in ways that may seem like unreasonable behaviour, furthermore, it seems that their frustration at the gamemode was inadvertently vented at security for performing their job.

However, by creating this thread and plainly asking for other people's view on this situation they've opened themselves up to input and expressed reasonable doubt in their own actions, something that I believe is sadly rare in the current incumbent administration team - it is for this reason that although this - in my opinion - was a mistake on their part, I implore the admin team to take this experience as a reaffirmation of Leibniz's solid judgement.

Mission success soldier.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #350923

"Everyone's getting implanted and everyone not implanted gets shot" is pretty standard practice. This is especially true if the round had drug on as long as the OP leads me to believe. I'm not sure what sec's offense was here? Command roles being authoritarian? In a mode simulating an uprising against those command roles?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #350926

If you dislike how the game mode turns security into a antagonist faction then consider removing rev.

In this scenario, security was well within their rights. They are dealing with a fully fledged rebellion where the rebels can instantly discern friend from foe, security has the disadvantage and the revs set the bar very low for how fast they'll murder someone.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #350954

Or you could just rework/remove revs. It's a glorified team deathmatch at its heart.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #350967

Not to mention how can sec know that chem isnt making deathmixes, bombs, or any of the other shit that chemistry can do? We can not make conversion modes lopsided and then complain when the disadvantaged side plays hard to regain the edge.

That said i always thought rev was shit but at least its short and i get why people like it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #350968

I don't really enjoy revolution due to how fast it moves and how it encourages a: "You must play this exact way or you are sabotaging your team" playstyle. A bad combination in my own opinion.

I've suggested giving revolutionaries imperfect information. Revheads able to identify other revheads and all revolutionaries while converted revolutionaries able to recognise the revheads and fellow revolutionaries who were converted by the same revhead.

The idea being to make revolutionaries less inclined to murder people on sight at the risk of accidentally killing another team member and encouraging the revheads to take charge as leaders for the revolutionaries to gather around and follow. It also allows the ability for unimplanted loyalist crewmembers (and the Heads of Staff) to avoid the revolutionary death squad by dressing up as one of the rabble.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #350984

Anonmare wrote:I don't really enjoy revolution due to how fast it moves and how it encourages a: "You must play this exact way or you are sabotaging your team" playstyle. A bad combination in my own opinion.

I've suggested giving revolutionaries imperfect information. Revheads able to identify other revheads and all revolutionaries while converted revolutionaries able to recognise the revheads and fellow revolutionaries who were converted by the same revhead.

The idea being to make revolutionaries less inclined to murder people on sight at the risk of accidentally killing another team member and encouraging the revheads to take charge as leaders for the revolutionaries to gather around and follow. It also allows the ability for unimplanted loyalist crewmembers (and the Heads of Staff) to avoid the revolutionary death squad by dressing up as one of the rabble.
It would be interesting to see this in action, would be going back to paranoia etc.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #350988

Anonmare wrote:I don't really enjoy revolution due to how fast it moves and how it encourages a: "You must play this exact way or you are sabotaging your team" playstyle. A bad combination in my own opinion.

this seems like a fucking awesome idea

- heads are still identifiable as targets when they're wearing head clothing/etc.
- revheads are identifiable so you don't ruin the round
- non revs can play along and try to bluff revs, but revheads can call them out

would likely create some admin headaches when people inevitably fuck up and attack eachother, but this sounds like it would make rev a lot more enjoyable and actually use some of the elements of ss13 that are good instead of it being a painful deathmatch
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #351001

We could remove all antagHUDs for all conversion antags and see how that goes down.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #351004

BeeSting12 wrote:We could remove all antagHUDs for all conversion antags and see how that goes down.
I don't know if that's as great of an idea
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #351006

I would heavily disagree with the first point and I don't see how your proposed solution would solve anything.

Rev is probably one of the most open-ended modes in the game
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #351008

leibniz wrote:appease ghost tears a bit.
Doing something to appease ghost tears is rarely a good idea if ever. If I did that, there'd be an ERT everyone round with more than ten casualties and half of deadchat would be spawned as a revenant or ninja. Let the round play out, they died so ctrl c ctrl v rule 10 into deadchat and leave it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #351009

ghost tears are retarded anyways, it made more sense when we had like just PAIs as a ghost role but now that there's so much shit you can do as a ghost that doesn't even include the RNG stuff like morphs or whatever that you have no real reason to complain

(imo)
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #351017

captain sawrge wrote:

I would heavily disagree with the first point and I don't see how your proposed solution would solve anything.

Rev is probably one of the most open-ended modes in the game
If it's open-ended I've never seen it. They almost always play out the same way with the odd outlier. There's no talking or interaction beyond chucking spears at anyone not on your team and if security doesn't powergame to hell and back they will be dead before the 15 minute mark.

It's always been a hands-off mode administratively (and don't tell me it isn't because I've adminned rev modes and the go-to solution was always "it's rev, don't bother") but slowing down the pace would finally give admins a foot in the door to do something when security goes too far and neutral palyers don't get shit on for the crime of not being a team antagonist or one of the few implanted before the roaming lynch squads roll out.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #351019

If you're set on staying neutral in a rev round, that's on you, but you better acknowledge that you're most likely to end up domed by one side or another if you're just going to try and pretend nothing is going on. If anything, it's unrealistic to expect people to simply ignore a hostile revolt in a closed environment.
Either join a side, stock up and shack up, hide, or be prepared to fight.

Any mode can boil down to "you hit the other side until they all die." Rev isn't bogged down by having its own set of unique mechanics and "meta." It expects either side to make use of the resources on the station granted to them by their respective control of the various departments in order to get the upper hand on the other side. Security has the natural advantage initially on account of holding the brig and armory, but it's up to the revs to use their numbers and resources to find a way to counter this, whether it's bombs, atmos, makeshift weapons, breaking and entering, hacking, subverting the AI, or whatever else they can come up with.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #351021

Alright, I've come to terms with my opinion and views being outdated.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #351023

leibniz wrote:Alright, I've come to terms with my opinion and views being outdated.
Rev has been this way since I started playing six years ago.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #351032

I told you it was a stupid post, rev hasn't changed in six years because there's literally nothing to change.

It's a blow off team deathmatch that happens hopefully not to often in a day and lets people let out some of their more murdery tendencies so they dont' fuck up other rounds instead.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #351049

thot_slayer wrote:I told you it was a stupid post, rev hasn't changed in six years because there's literally nothing to change.

It's a blow off team deathmatch that happens hopefully not to often in a day and lets people let out some of their more murdery tendencies so they dont' fuck up other rounds instead.
Revolution has a 12% chance of being the gamemod. It's not rare in the slightest. It's not uncommon to see 3-4 rev rounds happen one after another.

As for letting people let off steam, from what I've seen it just makes people form grudges and leads to frustration on non-rev rounds.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #351054

Ignore the abrasive thot slayer
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #351056

Yeah, rev is important to keep the murderboners sated.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #351171

Anyone who says rev has no paranoia in it has obviously never played Warden, watching as greyshits mill about outside the brig shouting for implants. Do they actually want implants? Or do they want to smash in my skull and steal my armory? Is it even fucking revs or are greyshits just wasting my implants so they can get leeway from stupid sec officers?

Also generally speaking while I disapprove of pre-emptive security deathsquads the "security have to be hardasses to win rev" is true in basically any rev round that doesn't end in 4 minutes because the headrev tried to flash the QM.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #351254

The game is basically: buy implants or die spectacularly, which, in its current state, isnt too bad. Actually one of my favourite moments was whenI was the last head and manged to hunt down and slaughter the last rev head
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #351341

I've always seen rev as a release valve for the playerbase.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #351378

Arianya wrote:Anyone who says rev has no paranoia in it has obviously never played Warden, watching as greyshits mill about outside the brig shouting for implants. Do they actually want implants? Or do they want to smash in my skull and steal my armory? Is it even fucking revs or are greyshits just wasting my implants so they can get leeway from stupid sec officers?
One of my more memorable rounds was as the CMO, when revs rushed and killed every other head and blew up the brig in record time leaving just me alive. Ducking and dodging through taser shots before finding a disguise and trying to identify who the rev heads could be without being seen feels like some rambo-lone survivor-underdog-incredible tension type paranoia. It's great
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #351383

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Arianya wrote:Anyone who says rev has no paranoia in it has obviously never played Warden, watching as greyshits mill about outside the brig shouting for implants. Do they actually want implants? Or do they want to smash in my skull and steal my armory? Is it even fucking revs or are greyshits just wasting my implants so they can get leeway from stupid sec officers?
One of my more memorable rounds was as the CMO, when revs rushed and killed every other head and blew up the brig in record time leaving just me alive. Ducking and dodging through taser shots before finding a disguise and trying to identify who the rev heads could be without being seen feels like some rambo-lone survivor-underdog-incredible tension type paranoia. It's great
I had a few really tense RD and handpicked science bodyguards vs the world moments. If you send Joe out for supplies and he comes back, is he still loyal? Find out when he stabs you all in the back or not!
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #351485

>I'm gonna kill you if you don't do x because the station is in danger
>person doesn't do x
>gets killed
>better press admin buttons to punish the people who clearly said exactly what they were going to do and gave the chemists a chance and warning to not get killed

Revs is a shit gamemode, why would you go out of your way to punish players playing it in an effective way because of that
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #352295

so long as the chemists/other unimplanted crew can assume that security is out to murder them and respond with their own lethal force after security declares "Do this or die", seems fine.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #352307

If x and do y then z equals a divided by b to the fourth times the second integral of root c over fuck you.
RedRaijiin
Byond Username: Saadb47

Post by RedRaijiin » #357271

I believe that either flashes have to be more common, or that the conversion method changes.

Like honestly, if you're caught with a flash, before the round antag has been identified, then RIP, I find that people are too quick to jump the boat, and i dont see why such a shitty stun item is so dangerous when a stunprod can do better and isnt countered by sunglasses