Naming and Honorifics

MollyKristoph
Byond Username: MollyKristoph

Naming and Honorifics

Post by MollyKristoph » #351162

IDK what happened in the past couple of years, but apparently honorifics are right out.
Honorifics I can understand taking an issue with are ones with actual roles on the station, such as Captain, or literally any military rank, or those related to the medical field.
But Sr(Senior), Jr(Junior), Esq(Esquire) and so on?
When was this disallowed?
Why is it not posted on the wiki rules page yet?
Why do some people get bwoinked for generational honorifics but not titular honorifics?
Why are people even getting bwoinked over stuff not on the wiki rules page?
Sincerely,
that insufferable catbeast-lover playing D. Armitage Quinn Esq.

Edit; Slightly unrelated, but does the player rules and admin rules need to be collated? I'd be happy to donate some time to this effort.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Naming and Honorifics

Post by Arianya » #351169

Esquire is a professionally associated honorific in the US, specifically associated with lawyers.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #351170

Arianya wrote:Esquire is a professionally associated honorific in the US, specifically associated with lawyers.
Its also legally protected in England if I'm not mistaken.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #351174

It was at one time, I believe more recent usage has it as a rather more general usage for any person of a certain level of respect, irrespective of any gentle birth or ancestry.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #351175

Arianya wrote:Esquire is a professionally associated honorific in the US, specifically associated with lawyers.
Yup, and Esquire is about the only honorific other than Dr and military ranking that i could see being vaguely protected, due to it being a formally-applied honorific by agencies outside of the family and social convention. I stuck it on there when I played D. as lawyer and never took it off, and it didn't seem to have a problem. I took it off in light of tonight's events.
cedarbridge wrote:
Its also legally protected in England if I'm not mistaken.
Oddly enough, I did have a discussion ICly some time ago about some BS backstory that only HRPfags would care about, along these same lines.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #351181

Wiki rarely gets updated because no one takes the time or because admins want to keep it semi-concise afaik
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #351198

Honestly honorifics could be okay if 1. They are Appended as ", Dr." and 2. Be reasonable for the job and 3. Theres not just a last name.
MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #351206

AdAstraPerAspera wrote:Honestly honorifics could be okay if 1. They are Appended as ", Dr." and 2. Be reasonable for the job and 3. Theres not just a last name.
I tend to agree, though it did cause me to ree because it wasn't listed on the wiki, and how the hell is a regular-ass player supposed to know there's a rule if it's not there? Only seasoned and dedicated players bother to make forum names, much less post anything.
If they want to keep the wiki concise, then the policies themselves as they affect players should be concise as well. If they want to disallow specific things, then it should be broached in the rules page since that's the fracking bible of do's and don't's for many beginning players. While we're at it, regarding antags, there should be a wiki posted ruling regarding spawncamping and why not to do it. Just this morning I saw such an incident, albeit so late in the round that it didn't matter.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #351208

They're supposed to know because admins bwoink them and tell them so. You're creating a problem where none exists by saying it's not right to bwoink someone about a ruling if its not on the wiki because how are players supposed to know but denying the legitimacy of using ahelps as a method of informing players of the rules.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #351209

I am of the opinion anything that isn't completely ridiculous should be allowed.
So even Ostrava of Nanotrasen should be allowed. (And of course Luck not needing a surname)
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #351212

Bawhoppennn wrote:I am of the opinion anything that isn't completely ridiculous should be allowed.
So even Ostrava of Nanotrasen should be allowed. (And of course Luck not needing a surname)
Seconded, we really dont need another name policy thread tbh
Signature Memes

MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #351214

Nilons wrote:They're supposed to know because admins bwoink them and tell them so. You're creating a problem where none exists by saying it's not right to bwoink someone about a ruling if its not on the wiki because how are players supposed to know but denying the legitimacy of using ahelps as a method of informing players of the rules.
At this point, I am salting about the fact that you rely on bwoinking on an unlisted rule rather than ramrodding a proper update to the rules, or a repeal of the ruling itself. It's not a healthy atmosphere in the slightest to rely on bwoinks when a culture of 'oh god what did I do' exists when hearing the sound.
Don't believe me? Just play the sound at any time when fun is involved, and see how many people shit their pants.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #351225

These kind of honorifics have been a thing people have used for a while.
If it becomes disallowed and it isn't on the wiki nor discussed/stated anywhere. How do you expect anyone to know they doing anything wrong?

But yeah.
Bawhoppennn wrote:I am of the opinion anything that isn't completely ridiculous should be allowed.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #351231

I'm not bwoinking anyone for a name unless it's utterly retarded such as xXXenoHunter420memesXx or something. I did tell a new player last night to change his name from Firstname.Lastname to firstname SPACE lastname but that's different. so tldr I don't care if you don't have a surname (as long as it isn't a totally retarded mononame) and I don't care if you place Dr, Esq, Sr, or Jr on the front. Captain or some shit wouldn't fly because that looks dumb on someone who isn't a captain.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #351233

BeeSting12 wrote:I'm not bwoinking anyone for a name unless it's utterly retarded such as xXXenoHunter420memesXx or something. I did tell a new player last night to change his name from Firstname.Lastname to firstname SPACE lastname but that's different. so tldr I don't care if you don't have a surname (as long as it isn't a totally retarded mononame) and I don't care if you place Dr, Esq, Sr, or Jr on the front. Captain or some shit wouldn't fly because that looks dumb on someone who isn't a captain.
T H A N K Y O U for this wonderful flash of what I thought was sense.

Though apparently it's still policy, so to CMA I went ahead and nixed it. I'm complying with the rule, I just want to see stuff like this actually reflected in the rules on the wiki, or at least in a nice idiot-accessible post on the forums in one spot.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #351234

MollyKristoph wrote:
Nilons wrote:They're supposed to know because admins bwoink them and tell them so. You're creating a problem where none exists by saying it's not right to bwoink someone about a ruling if its not on the wiki because how are players supposed to know but denying the legitimacy of using ahelps as a method of informing players of the rules.
At this point, I am salting about the fact that you rely on bwoinking on an unlisted rule rather than ramrodding a proper update to the rules, or a repeal of the ruling itself. It's not a healthy atmosphere in the slightest to rely on bwoinks when a culture of 'oh god what did I do' exists when hearing the sound.
Don't believe me? Just play the sound at any time when fun is involved, and see how many people shit their pants.
That is not the admins fault but rather a subsection of admins who have exclusive access to that part of the wiki.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #351238

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:
MollyKristoph wrote:
That is not the admins fault but rather a subsection of admins who have exclusive access to that part of the wiki.
In light of this, allow me to recuse myself in the quoted text;
"At this point, I am salting about the fact that you have to rely on bwoinking on an unlisted rule rather than having a proper update to the rules, or a repeal of the ruling itself."/snip
And my apologies for any ruffled feathers from my baseless accusation in this particular regard.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #351252

Who really cares? Will anyone be yanked out of their 'mursions because Fuck Flinstone put Sr. in the front of his name? Hell, lizard names need a pruning more than anything (Im looking at Notices-the-Bulge)
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #351275

Enforcing name policy is silly when we allow immersion breaking argonian names
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #351297

personally I think we should have fewer titles in names (Your title is in your job, trying to cram more authority into that is just strange) (argonian names are also dumb but its too entrenched now for us to enforce the coded lizard naming scheme, and occasionally they're amusing)

I dont enforce name policy beyond Xbox names though because it kept changing for so long I havent the faintest idea what it is.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #351299

Bwoinking people for little tidbit rules about names is very subjective and unknown to the normal player but I'm also quite sure I told admins to therefore compensate for that when they intervene. Therefore, it's usually just a request to pick a different name and notes/bans for names rarely happen unless the name is very very disappointing.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #351339

the only thing this thread has done is remind me that i can cause players emotional distress by playing the bwoink noise

i'd forgotten, thanks
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #351404

>bwoink "hey can you change your name we like to keep them semi sensible"
>reply "hey sure thing man no problem, thanks for letting me know"

Join us next time in the twilight zone
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #351406

I just generally put the line at atleast somewhat believable.

Edit: and of course my mental notes on headmin precedents for this stuff.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #351503

I can't shake this feeling that admins who jump on people using "jr." in the name are themselves against naming policy in the first place and are thus trying to prove a point.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #351518

Junior and senior make sense and aren't even honorifics.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #351520

If the name of your character is the name on your ID then honorifics gained from outside the station like and MD or PHD would probably be on there abbreviated.

Military ranks would be a tad hard considering if you use them after your out of the military you are supposed to mention you are retired after it and that looks REALLY silly as a name in game.

Using the abbreviation for captain is kinda odd when you arent the cap, but you could maybe roleplay yourself as a retired captain or captain of another vessel visiting the station, though it is kind of a bit character.