Enable IC_PRINTING in game_options.txt

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Enable IC_PRINTING in game_options.txt

Post by iamgoofball » #357954

Bottom post of the previous page:

Circuits are going to be replacing R&D pretty soon here with the techwebs merge and decentralization of R&D, and right now, why would I bother making anything complex if I can't save my work?

Things that can happen without the ability to back my work up:
"oh, rev/gang/wizard/cult/clockcult/nuke round just ended 15 minutes in, RIP my design I was halfway through building, no way to back it up before round restarts"
"hey check out this cool logic module I made to use in other configurations, too bad I can't save it and reuse the technology elsewhere"
"here's an example on how to set up locomotion, oh wait, I can't give you the design"

Potential issues:
"people will spam stun bots!"
we nerf the stunner/make it traitor only
"people will spam the same bots over and over again and wont improve their design"
they already do
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Enable IC_PRINTING in game_options.txt

Post by cedarbridge » #365190

Incomptinence wrote:Printing would be fine if the robots took damage from being attacked and parts were gated behind resource input other than pure iron.

Roundstart materials and you can make some pretty dreadful people seeking pneumatic cannon bots I am fairly sure no nades or guns required.

Some fuck just running around turning everything but the plating into damage immune killbots 10 minutes in if we allow scripting with things as they are.
IIRC the only thing we allow cross-round storage and printing for is books.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #365191

Incomptinence wrote:Printing would be fine if the robots took damage from being attacked and parts were gated behind resource input other than pure iron.

Roundstart materials and you can make some pretty dreadful people seeking pneumatic cannon bots I am fairly sure no nades or guns required.

Some fuck just running around turning everything but the plating into damage immune killbots 10 minutes in if we allow IC printing with things as they are.
Good one, when did this happen

Additionally you know you can just pick them up and stuff them in your backpack to disarm them right
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #365192

Does that really make much sense as a rock hard stance when dealing with a new feature though?
iamgoofball wrote:

Some fuck just running around turning everything but the plating into damage immune killbots 10 minutes in if we allow IC printing with things as they are.
Good one, when did this happen

Additionally you know you can just pick them up and stuff them in your backpack to disarm them right
It hasn't yet because as you said the process is laborious and crippled at present.

Also wouldn't kitting the resulting wounded crew be easy for a throw bot?

Then if we go to anything slightly more advanced than roundstart stuff that "counter" to IC droids would probably just lead to you having a primed grenade in your backpack.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #365193

Incomptinence wrote:Does that really make much sense as a rock hard stance when dealing with a new feature though?
What did he mean by this
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #365194

cedarbridge wrote:

Some fuck just running around turning everything but the plating into damage immune killbots 10 minutes in if we allow scripting with things as they are.
IIRC the only thing we allow cross-round storage and printing for is books.
So what here actually replies to the quote aside from repeating the same story because you're a fucking disgrace to debate?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #365195

I was responding to cedar and you posted while I did so.

Cedar's stance basically falls to bits when you realise some goober is just going to copy everything they input themselves to a separate document then scribble a diagram somewhere for the wiring.

Out of game tools again just like telescience!
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #365196

Incomptinence wrote:I was responding to cedar and you posted while I did so.

Cedar's stance basically falls to bits when you realise some goober is just going to copy everything they input themselves to a separate document then scribble a diagram somewhere for the wiring.
Not really. The wiki is full of listings of the things needed to make various chem compounds. It would save time immensely if I could just press 4 buttons to make meth instead of 12+. It would save even more time if I could skip the base components and just press "meth" because I figured out the things I needed last time and I'd rather cut out the busywork of making the thing and just print a beaker of meth. Drawing up a diagram somewhere does not produce a bot in-game. Nobody's asking you to relearn the system required to make circuits every round. They are expecting you to start from zero like everyone else in a round and work from nothing to create something. That means you don't get to just turn to the page you left a book mark on and forge on like the last round was still going.

"But circuits take too long for that. I'll never get anywhere in a round without a shortcut."
Then you have a shitty circuits system that is too involved and slow to fit into the game in its current form and adding cross-round storage is a bandaid on a bigger design issue.
Incomptinence wrote:Out of game tools again just like telescience!
Telesci was removed and space ruin locations were randomized. I'm not sure your point.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #365197

Data input makes for a bad time gate.

Someone will manage to optimise it without IC_Printing.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #365200

Just a word, the few persistent features we have are special BECAUSE they are an exception to the standard, using them to disprove the existence of that standard isn't valid.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #365208

how are we still arguing about this has this even been a problem over the last few weeks?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #365248

As far as i can see, ICs have two timesgates: finding the right way to program them, and actually doing it. The former carries between rounds already, you can take notes yourself. IC_Printing would get rid of the latter, which is currently slow due to a fairly unfriendly UI.

The problem here in my opinion is that there is no other timegate to circuits; materials are extremely cheap, the research to start circuiting is available early on and unlocks everything at once, components are printed instantly. Make the materials, especially the abusable stuff, have additional costs, either from research or materials, and minute one killbots will be much less of a problem.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #365309

are people actually making the minute one killbots though or are you people crying wolf
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #367012

Ahem. So now assemblies will be damageable.
Later I'll link printer to techwebs. So for advanced machines you'll need advanced tech.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #367013

Anout material cost I'll think about it
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #367034

Selea wrote:Anout material cost I'll think about it
There's a reason science stuff is locked behind it, stops people immediately spamming the top tier stuff until the miners get in.

Doesn't do much for long if you have one competent person to do each job but it stops roundstart being a clusterfuck.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy