onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Is it time for an assistant cap again?

Post by onleavedontatme » #358650

Bottom post of the previous page:

I see latejoin screens like this pretty regularly on basil
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Is it time for an assistant cap again?

Post by bandit » #361888

The only way to make people stop playing as assistant is to have a meaningful chain of command, where the downside to assistant actually is that "you answer directly to absolutely everyone." Unfortunately, this seems to be out of reach for the server's policy and has been as long as I've played here.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #361898

bandit wrote:The only way to make people stop playing as assistant is to have a meaningful chain of command, where the downside to assistant actually is that "you answer directly to absolutely everyone." Unfortunately, this seems to be out of reach for the server's policy and has been as long as I've played here.
Assistants don't really even make a lot of sense, the more I think about them. I mean, our lore is pretty damn vague, and we already make vague allowances for the clown and mime, but what the hell is the purpose of what are basically free-roaming civilians on a plasma research station? We don't have an economic system so its not like they are passing through. There are employment contracts for them all in the lawyer's office so they're apparently employed on the station for some purpose. They have no access to anything but maint (for some reason they have access to that anyway) so its not like they have a workplace to report to. They don't report to everyone because they don't report to anyone. Assistant was meant to be a pour-over job and turned into a default "do whatever you want" job functionally outside of the chain of command but somehow still part of the station crew.

Possible WIP solution:
- Assistants are no longer part of the crew until assigned to a department and given a real role. They are non-crew civilians until they get a job and shave that gross hippie beard.
- Non-crew on the station that cause trouble can be imprisoned, gulaged or deported (to lavaland or out an airlock) from the station for committing crimes befitting those punishments. This would apply to theoretical off-station, non-crew roles like traders in the future as well.
- Arrivals area customs offices and customs officer (new officer spawn point assigned to the HoP as a go between with security) can process new arrival non-crew at the arrivals shuttle lobby for employment on the station.
- Opens space for implementation of much bantered about economics system because now there are non-crew on the station that need a means of interfacing with the different departments on a station where nobody is obligated to give them anything, but would be inclined to sell them things in exchange for currency that can be used to order things from cargo, off station traders, etc.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #361922

I still say Assistants should lose their right to not be fucked with on account of them being literally no one important, but assistants can't do the same to non-assistants.

If I want to kidnap a greyshirt and perform experimental surgery on them then it's their own fault for choosing to wear grey.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #361928

Split newbie/no slots left on station assistants and "i dont want a real job" assistants into "Staff Assistants" and "Reserve Personnel" or something
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #361941

why won't you just increase the shaft miner job slots and make two lavaland z-levels, kor

even turn it into migrant-lite and make assistants spawn on lavaland
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #361943

imblyings wrote:why won't you just increase the shaft miner job slots and make two lavaland z-levels, kor

It's bad enough having one guy respawn as a vet or beach bum 6 times to keep trying to kill you.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #361966

Saegrimr wrote:
imblyings wrote:why won't you just increase the shaft miner job slots and make two lavaland z-levels, kor

It's bad enough having one guy respawn as a vet or beach bum 6 times to keep trying to kill you.
Haven't seen that since we banned the guy from space bartending.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #361984

Saegrimr wrote:

can just lower ruin chances
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #362316

IS IT TIME FOR A SECURITY CAP? (While im obviously joking this whole thread is silly, if anything my shitpost has some relevance because there's a pretty predictable relationship between security staff and total population that would only be exacerbated by something silly like an assistant cap).

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #362661

the dreaded red tide
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #362687

I'm amazed no one is mentioning antag rolling. That's the number one reason a lot of people happily admit to when picking assistant.

You roll for antag, if you don't get it you greytide to be a pseudo-antag. Hell I did the same shit. Greytide a lot to practice being robust then when you get that sweet antag you're better than most people (at non-competitive roleplaying game yes I'm a massive faggot) and get to kick over everyone's legos. I know almost all of the forever-assistant people on Sybil do it for that reason.

Lucky for me I'm an admin so I can use the genuine reason of "I want no commitment so I can bail and sort tickets" and I play other roles when more admins are online.

I don't think we should ban antag rolling because it's basically impossible to enforce and each individual person responsible for it isn't doing enough harm to other people for it to warrant punishment. It's a systemic problem.

I feel like maybe we could think of a solution eventually but that seems to be the key problem to me.

As for arrivals joiners, you're already distanced from the round somewhat, you have no idea the state of the station or each department and you didn't get to control it from the start so it's unlikely anything is going to go your way. No scientists, for example, will give up their station for a new-arrival, the good accessible loot is all gone, security is well-established or non-existent and you're basically at a disadvantage. Joining as an assistant is basically getting to interact with a round you have zero stake in. You're unlikely to be a hero if you weren't part of the that round's story from the beginning, so I think it's natural people pick a neutral option they can just run around as before they decide on what they want to do, if anything. I don't think the latejoin 'problem' really needs solving. It's a natural thing that's going to happen as a result of the way the game works I reckon.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #363792

bandit wrote:The only way to make people stop playing as assistant is to have a meaningful chain of command, where the downside to assistant actually is that "you answer directly to absolutely everyone." Unfortunately, this seems to be out of reach for the server's policy and has been as long as I've played here.
Assistants aren't indebted enough to actually want to assist since they are free citizens with no official repsonsibilities other than to get a job & basically mingle and doss around being troublesome, which is a split OOC/IC issue as all TG players have a mischievous streak.

In the same vein, outside of obvious equipment-creep it is a RP suggestion only to assist & act out heads of staff are superiors, actual genuine ("im going to listen to this guy") respect is commanded by static and repeatedly commended and publicised heads, meanwhile being a assistant with no job is viewed as a opportunistic chance to jump the queue into a job by hook or crook, steal the captains ID and become a impostor (which after 5 clown/assistant captains gets boring & annoying)

Answer is simple, restrict all non-humans to assistants & do not enforce a assistant cap so it is bloated. Then make all human & non-human assistants valid by security forces as undesirables under specific clauses. Dying horribly is the only thing assistants understand about the execution of station justice & power as they are prone to
re-offending, to be released back into their cycle of griefing and boredom, where they wont be chastised for being away & in prison.

- People shout over radio why isn't X in their office, or have time constrained projects they need to be doing like farming plants & slimes that being in prison is extremely unhelpful with that motivates them to stay out of that place.

- Human assistants are just executed off camera and there are de-escalated rules of the HOS/warden instead of the captain authorizing it.

Then make application to roundstart/latejoin heads of staff to be restricted to game hours & medals in which handing out progression based medals without actual credit clause is a admin enactable offence, greentext medal stealing contributes also +1 your score to enabling a head role.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #363794

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Answer is simple, restrict all non-humans to assistant
Fwoosh, I know you're not ACTUALLY retarded but you didn't think this would fly under the radar right?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #363796

I was just casting the net wide, non-human assistants are also some of the worst offenders with my prior arguement because they are already actively banned from jobs, which means that assistants seeking protection will get jobs.

There will naturally be less lizards & flies on the station (edit- Not in work, 1/3rd of the station population as per lore has applicable slots) that aren't being spaced by security compared to catpeople who are excluded from heads jobs by policy altogether, and this naturally controls the greytide & adds actual non-human disparity in overall population. Makes the AI and everyone's job easier and enforces the lore of Nanotren being pro-human and that these races aren't primarily integrated into the full workforce.

Thanks for taking the bait so i can explain that in depth rather than mention it later.

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #363800

cedarbridge wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Answer is simple, restrict all non-humans to assistant
Fwoosh, I know you're not ACTUALLY retarded but you didn't think this would fly under the radar right?
You read his posts?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #363804

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Thanks for taking the bait so i can explain that in depth rather than mention it later.
"I was just pretending" is still shitposting.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #363812

Apply the same commendation system tracked by the HOP to allow non-humans to enable roundstart jobs in the future, every single nonhuman has to prove they are employable or get removed by security without the AI caring, If the head selection process is thorough the HOP should be reliable enough to do this job competently.

Im actually throwing the non-human races a lifeline here to free themselves of their self-imposed views of oppression on the station, first day of a new char & race working from the bottom up not shitting all over the place as another assistant greytider and eventually they can brown nose themselves to a solid position like QM (or higher) free of majority discrimination. Also making them more interesting to play.
cedarbridge wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Thanks for taking the bait so i can explain that in depth rather than mention it later.
"I was just pretending" is still shitposting.
You're confusing "I was pretending" with "That was the deliberate plan dumbass" or least a inevitably happy accident.

Spoiler:
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #363817

outplayed
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #363822

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Split newbie/no slots left on station assistants and "i dont want a real job" assistants into "Staff Assistants" and "Reserve Personnel" or something
Naturally i support something like this to atleast make dossers distinct, but in my approach i was not trying to change the model of the game by switching around some titles to brand people, if you can't use the carrot to encourage people to play meaningful jobs in the game, you will need to lean towards using the stick, admins self confessed that tacking the greytide itself does not work so some alternative hardline resolution needs to be met.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #364407

I will admit I usually go assistant when I want to role antag (never works) or failing that just fuck around.

Honestly I would support changing the Assistant role to a lavaland spawn. Make them like Migrants from that game we shall no speak off and give thems shitty equipment in a hostile environment on a second lavaland z-level. They can try and make their way to the station or eek out an existence on Lavaland.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #364422

a trial run of switching assistants to migrants would be pretty cool

despite my initial gut reaction, this might also help new players - although assistant gives you a risk free way to learn the controls, it's a tossup nowadays if people will actually take a new player on board as an actual assistant, and having a job to do can give them some motivation to play

I think it's worth trying out
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #364423

Qbopper wrote:a trial run of switching assistants to migrants would be pretty cool

despite my initial gut reaction, this might also help new players - although assistant gives you a risk free way to learn the controls, it's a tossup nowadays if people will actually take a new player on board as an actual assistant, and having a job to do can give them some motivation to play

I'd wager that new players generally don't play assistant unless they join a round with all roles already taken.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #364424

cedarbridge wrote:
Qbopper wrote:a trial run of switching assistants to migrants would be pretty cool

I'd wager that new players generally don't play assistant unless they join a round with all roles already taken.
i'd bet otherwise but neither of us have actual data
Limey wrote:its too late.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #364426

If you really want assistants to be a new player role then do a inverse of how certain jobs and antag need you to have played for X days. Instead have it that the Assistant role is only unlocked for the first seven or so days you play on the server.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #364429

Steelpoint wrote:If you really want assistants to be a new player role then do a inverse of how certain jobs and antag need you to have played for X days. Instead have it that the Assistant role is only unlocked for the first seven or so days you play on the server.
Wouldn't work because assistant is also the overflow role. The only way you're going to see a marked decrease in the number of roundstart or non-obligatory assistants is by making the role undesireable for anything but learning the game or merely getting by. Fancy toys and run things are gated behind being useful for something and getting a job.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #364430

Then make migrants the overflow role.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #364432

Steelpoint wrote:Then make migrants the overflow role.
So you're going to gate roughly 50% of the player roles through the mining shuttle?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #364437

I'd argue that the migrants should have a alternative way to get to the station that does not come through the mining dock, and is somewhat automated and observable by the HoP or Captain if needed. Hence why it should be on a second lavaland z-level.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #364614

i can try throwing together a basic migrant framework this lunch break for planetstation
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #365023

Having thought about this for a while and seeing the issue with overpopulation on bagil I would agree to an assistant cap if there was also a hard cap on the number of people allowed on the server at once.

Otherwise we should go down the route of not making assistants actual crew. They are essentially visitors, interns, tourists, whatever the hell you want to call them though it should fit into the lore for a supposedly state of the art research station. Basically if they cause any shit then they're valid, it's in their NT contract that their life is forfeit if they cause any shit.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #365147

Rustledjimm wrote:Having thought about this for a while and seeing the issue with overpopulation on bagil I would agree to an assistant cap if there was also a hard cap on the number of people allowed on the server at once.

Otherwise we should go down the route of not making assistants actual crew. They are essentially visitors, interns, tourists, whatever the hell you want to call them though it should fit into the lore for a supposedly state of the art research station. Basically if they cause any shit then they're valid, it's in their NT contract that their life is forfeit if they cause any shit.
I unironically agree that the standard punishment for assistants doing anything more annoying then hacking vending machines should be summery execution, at least for a few weeks, but this would have to be paired with some changes to escalation rules and a good chunk of bans for people who don't follow those rules. I'm sure theres going to be a lot of resistance to this, but I legitimately think this is the only way to save the server from turning into hippie.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #365149

If you want to make being an assistant undesirable removing their maint access is a great way of making the role insufferable.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #365166

D&B wrote:If you want to make being an assistant undesirable removing their maint access is a great way of making the role insufferable.
I mean, this but unironically. Assistants currently have better access to 90% of the station than everyone but engineering.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #365246

cedarbridge wrote:
D&B wrote:If you want to make being an assistant undesirable removing their maint access is a great way of making the role insufferable.
I mean, this but unironically. Assistants currently have better access to 90% of the station than everyone but engineering.
This way for long time and there has been no real argument for them to have it. Just loud, incessant whining when assmaint was removed that it just sorta came back.
Make the job less easy for shit. Remove assmaint. Just to prove you can make changes for the good, do it and bloody keep it. This was a test way back when and tg failed by giving in.
Let's see if we can fix shit this time around.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #365254

Gamarr wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
This way for long time and there has been no real argument for them to have it. Just loud, incessant whining when assmaint was removed that it just sorta came back.
Make the job less easy for shit. Remove assmaint. Just to prove you can make changes for the good, do it and bloody keep it. This was a test way back when and tg failed by giving in.
Let's see if we can fix shit this time around.
As best I can tell the only "compelling" argument is that assistants will just break into maint anyway and leave maint bolted open to get back their freedom of travel.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #365273

It was tried before. The problem is that "work" is rarely fun, so people just pick assistants and do whatever. I despise commerce systems but at least it would force greys to get a job.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #365280

There's no reason to neuter assistants as a job when it's the players that are the problem
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #365283

Takeguru wrote:There's no reason to neuter assistants as a job when it's the players that are the problem
So you're saying you need someone to ban a bunch of greyshirts again, right? :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #365285

Saegrimr wrote:
Takeguru wrote:There's no reason to neuter assistants as a job when it's the players that are the problem
So you're saying you need someone to ban a bunch of greyshirts again, right? :^)
please come back saeg
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #365423

Last time we had the Assistants maint access debate it was mostly tied around the issue of Security Officers also having maintenance access.

People were arguing that if Assistants lost access then Security should as well, so 99% of the debate went to the value of maint for Sec and Ass.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #365464

Lumbermancer wrote:
It was tried before. The problem is that "work" is rarely fun, so people just pick assistants and do whatever. I despise commerce systems but at least it would force greys to get a job.
I mentioned this earlier. If we could take a mile-up view on this and adjust item values (including scarcity in a world that's mostly post-scarcity), and work out a sort of budgeting/economics system you could have greyshirts operate as civilian visitors to the station instead of just random fuckaround unassigned crew. Departments would sell their toys to greys, greys would do odd jobs for departments and assist in return for pay. HoPs and heads would hire greys as full time or temp staff in a pinch. If we took it as a budget control system instead of a random pay system then heads would have control to make sure that their employees were paid and were granted bonuses for doing extra well as well as using part of the allotment for required or wanted things from elsewhere. It would also reward space exploration. A greyshirt could explore space and return to station to hawk his wares to the different paying departments. The RD would probably pay top dollar for a xeno egg. The captain might pay really well for a gondola. There's a lot of design space but it would depend on making a lot of fairly substantial changes and it would also require a bit of adjustment to how the roles are played.

Additionally, shifting greyshirts from unassigned crew to visiting civilians means how sec treats them would change slightly too. Breaking and entering would be a more severe offense. Civies in usauthorized spaces on a secure corporate research station would be open to much more harsh treatment than "unassigned" crew. However, mistreating a civilian in the hallways would likely invite harsh reprisals against sec and the station in general if word got out that the crew was mistreating guests.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #365588

I'd see sec maint go if assistants lost it.

The detective should the sec guy with maint. Maybe maint can be something other than a secondary hallway for assistants and antagonists can do antagonistic things in maint without having to worry about a random assistant bumbling into their base of operations in search of valids
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #365597

Anonmare wrote:I'd see sec maint go if assistants lost it.
I'm not really following. Why would sec need to lose maint access too?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #365599

Welcome to the start of the arguments over sec maint access with assistant maint access.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #365602

Steelpoint wrote:Welcome to the start of the arguments over sec maint access with assistant maint access.

And so it begins.

EDIT: Actually I'm changing my post to say that this topic is not whether security should have maint access if assistants don't. So personally I think this thread should talk PURELY about what should be done regarding assistants and if their maint access is taken away a SEPARATE thread is made discussing security officer maint access.

Let's try to keep this thread as on-topic as possible please.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #365617

The idea that if something is taken away something must be given or taken away from someone else to be balanced is a logical fallacy.

Sometimes things just need to be nerfed, and forcing people to actually do jobs and not be shitlords when they dont roll antag may require a nerf of some kind. either by relaxing assistant escalation rules or nerfing access.

Personally I like the idea of making staff assistant a time limited job and making the latejoin or overflow role Civilians.

Dont give civilians IDs and give them escalation rules similar to other ghost roles. If you want to be protected by "nanotrasen corporate regulations" go see the head of personnel and get a fucking ID and job, even if it is a silly fluff one.