Silicon Policy

mikeike545
Byond Username: Mikeike545

Silicon Policy

Post by mikeike545 » #361853

So like is there a reason people don't have to read the rules let alone silicon policy before playing a silicon? I mean, it seems like it's a thing you should enforce? Why can't we do like VG and lock it for a set amount of time or at least until they open the page. Surely literally any vetting process whatsoever would be useful here.

And furthermore how about we actually fix the policy so it's not so shit and people can understand it, some admins don't even apparently.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: Silicon Policy

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #361856

They are locked behind a set amount of time iirc, same as head roles. It's been a long time since I was new though so maybe that's changed or I'm misremembering.

It's impossible to force people to read anything. Same as EULAs, people will just check off that they read it without actually doing so. It would just end up being a couple extra clicks for people wanting to play silicons.
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #361861

It isn't locked. I firmly remember being able to just pick silicon on TG. Also people are telling me it's a bad idea so it must not be. Also also at least open the wiki once. That's something.
Last edited by mikeike545 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #361869

Cyborg is locked behind a 30 day time window from when first connection I believe?

Personally I think it should be based off played time because you can literally connect once, return a month later and play AI/cyborg on your second connection.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #361870

mikeike545 wrote:It isn't locked. I firmly remember being able to just pick antag on TG. Also people are telling me it's a bad idea so it must not be. Also also at least open the wiki once. That's something.
What does your ability to select antag roles have to do with whether or not silicons are locked behind a 30 day time lock? (They are.)
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #361871

That would be perfect, if that's a thing you could do. I'm not aware of all of the ways you can possibly block off access to a role but time played would definitely be perfect actually. I mean if that's the case I kind of wonder why that isn't used since it seems to be the best way of actually vetting it out.

Also my fault fam I meant silicon lol lemme fix that
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #361886

People do have to read the rules before playing silicon or anything else...? And if they don't, they get banned...? :thinking:
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #361907

I've seen far too many people who just don't, some who don't get banned. Granted, a lot I've ahelped about have gotten in trouble, but a lot also haven't..... And the mere fact that I've had to kind of says some vetting should be necessary to me..... :thinking:

https://puu.sh/y1ENN/94194d7b0f.png
oh man this is one example, i told this borg to flash a dude and take him out and the borg just said no and xhius says this to me when i ahelped, which is why I mentioned it should be simpler or other scenarios should be given rulings since it's apparently really 'unclear'.
(hint the borg had.. no reason not to do it and also what the heck borgs dont get to choose lol. Also him not doing this got me caught and killed and im just supposed to be ok with the fact that my antag round was ruined with it. Cut him some slack, he merely ruined the game.)
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #361920

Are you sure the borg in question was Three Laws compliant at the time?

Granted if it wasn't, Xhuis shouldn't be mentioning its laws at all since that's information you shouldn't know while you're alive.
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #361924

I'd prefer not to derail much but yes, the borg had asimov, the borg was given a law 2 order, no one told him not to do it, the borg just said 'no' and that he was an engieborg, as if that stopped him from doing it.

Point being he was apparently of the belief that he didn't have to follow the law 2 request despite it being entirely valid. Not sure if he's new or old but that seems like a new person mistake rather than an old shitter. And I feel it'd still just be better than what we have currently, this isn't the only example I have of course and I'd like to think this is common among a lot of people, seeing some of the mini arguments that pop up even in regular chat when a borg makes a decision, or deadchat when they don't feel the borg did it's job. Especially when it comes to like security. That or I'm just extremely unlucky.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #361925

That's a PM from a coder and literally doesn't matter
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #361926

In that case the borg should have done as you asked, only orders that are either in violate of Law 1, impossible, deliberately obnoxious ("borg go count all the tiles on the station floor") or to destroy another silicon without good reason to are to be ignored.
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #361945

NikNakFlak wrote:That's a PM from a coder and literally doesn't matter
He was answering the ahelp.

And yeah I'm aware he should've but as I said, he didn't get in trouble and that tends to happen a lot too.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #361950

mikeike545 wrote:So like is there a reason people don't have to read the rules let alone silicon policy before playing a silicon? I mean, it seems like it's a thing you should enforce? Why can't we do like VG and lock it for a set amount of time or at least until they open the page. Surely literally any vetting process whatsoever would be useful here.

And furthermore how about we actually fix the policy so it's not so shit and people can understand it, some admins don't even apparently.
lets peep this out
mikeike545 wrote:So like is there a reason people don't have to read the rules let alone silicon policy before playing a silicon?
they do
mikeike545 wrote:I mean, it seems like it's a thing you should enforce?
we do
mikeike545 wrote:Why can't we do like VG and lock it for a set amount of time
we do
mikeike545 wrote:Surely literally any vetting process whatsoever would be useful here.
we have

this thread isn't that great but a system based around connections WOULD be nice.