Does the posession of Mapspawn traitor items make one valid?

Sweets
Byond Username: Reondin

Does the posession of Mapspawn traitor items make one valid?

Post by Sweets » #371785

On sybil today I picked up the box of throwing weapons on Metastation's bar while playing as clown, following that I took the Caps spare and ran around the station until I was tased by the warden. He found the box and then executed me. Upon Ahelping I was told that being in possession of traitor items makes you valid.

Now I have THREE conflicting scenarios that all involve this box on Meta.

The first occurred sometime early 2017 where I was killed for having that box. At the time, an admin ( I think it was PKP) told the person who killed me that it was not a valid kill and warned them while reviving me.

The second occured around this November. I was playing as warden and executed two engineers who were attempting to break into the HoS' office and used the weapons in the box against me. I was told in postround (it was nuke ops) that if they hadn't used the weapons on me, I would have been warned.

Finally the third scenario is what happened just recently.

This brings me into three specific questions.

1. Does a non-antag in possession of map spawn antag items immediately become valid for the rest of the crew?

2. Does Security have the authority to execute a nonantag crew member who has surrendered, not caused any harm or attacks and is in custody when there is an acting captain?

3. Should we just remove the spawn of Syndibox and Cards and make it 100% russian revolver chance to eliminate this from happening again? What about the EMP grenades in maint and the Stetchkin that can spawn in the armory?

Title edited and information on other items added.
Last edited by Sweets on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweets

Re: Does the posession of traitor items make one valid?

Post by Sweets » #371787

They are. A stetchkin can also spawn in the contraband locker of armory.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Does the posession of Mapspawn traitor items make one va

Post by oranges » #371791

These were originally added to metabreak, but if the policy is that it's okay to kill everyone with them, it kind of defeats the purpose so I would agree that we should adjust the loot tables if that's true.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #371792

the stetchkin isnt that bad since you cant reload it unless im just retarded and dont know how to print more mags from an autolathe
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #371795

You're only slightly retarded.

You print more ammo and use the ammo on the ejected mag to refill it.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #371796

oh I see it just takes forever
its no worse than the det revolver then
I will mention though sometimes bolas and throwing stars ALSO spawn in that armory locker on meta
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #371797

Sweets wrote:On sybil today I picked up the box of throwing weapons on Metastation's bar while playing as clown, following that I took the Caps spare and ran around the station until I was tased by the warden. .
>Breaking into captain's office
>stealing spare id
>Be surprised if you're valid and ahelp

I am surprised you didn't get warned for ban baiting.

Alas, if there's traitors and someone has traitor items you can generally assume they are tatortots, it's hard to know otherwise. Especially if that person is running around with all access.

I'd argue that when it's known they might be map spawned then they should be cautious, but considering you already committed high crime..

Act like an antag, be treated as an antag.
See rule 4.

Also yes security can kill antagonists, even surrendered ones. Generally it's expected that they be reasonable with this and they generally should ask the HoS and/or the captain.

As for 3. maybe, I think they are dumb to be available on map spawn and I've solely seen people using them to be shitters.
Sweets

Post by Sweets » #371802

Dax Dupont wrote:
Also yes security can kill antagonists, even surrendered ones. Generally it's expected that they be reasonable with this and they generally should ask the HoS and/or the captain.
Remove the tip that says only the acting Cap and HoS can authorize executions then. We don't need conflicting information everywhere.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #371808

Act like an antag get treated like one. Throwing weapons emp nades and stetchkins are all traitor items. If you get busted with them then you should fully expect to get killed or treated as a traitor
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Sweets

Post by Sweets » #371810

Is it "Acting" if you merely possess them however? If you find a syndie toolbox sitting in the middle of the hallway and take the combat gloves out of it, should you be killed on sight wordlessly by security before you can even explain?
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #371816

Probably not, but it would definitely factor into whether I ban the officer or not.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #371817

Sweets wrote:Is it "Acting" if you merely possess them however? If you find a syndie toolbox sitting in the middle of the hallway and take the combat gloves out of it, should you be killed on sight wordlessly by security before you can even explain?
Just possession, probably not. If however you've stole the captain's ID..

It's more or less compounding factors.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #371820

Why the hell does the map give traitor items

should this even be policy instead of removing them because that's dumb
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #371821

It will be handled on a case by case basis. It's crazy to expect 3 different admins in 3 different situations that happen to have one common factor to handle it the same way.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #371822

oranges wrote:These were originally added to metabreak, but if the policy is that it's okay to kill everyone with them, it kind of defeats the purpose so I would agree that we should adjust the loot tables if that's true.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #371825

what if we stopped intervening any time there is in IC conflict where one side isnt an antag?

What if we didnt make a game about misdirection and paranoia and then ban people when they guess wrong?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #371829

lasering everyone you see acting suspiciously isn't misdirection or paranoia
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #371831

>Steals captains ID and runs around with traitor weapons
>Is surprised he gets executed.

Warden could have executed you even without having the box.....
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #371833

In the lavaland, there are two possible tator items you can get. The first is a syndie legion, complete with red hardsuit, tactical turtleneck, and mask. No weapons, and the only obvious tator item being the hardsuit. The few times I find it, I openly announce it over the general channel, and carry the operative's ID card with me as proof that it was gained from a legion corpse. The other a stetchkin that spawns in the Queen's chamber in the xeno hive. Another contraband item is the Captain's laser pistol in the Snowdin dome.

Any miner worth their salt will A: Announce finding them item, and send a couple PDA messages to the Captain and HoS/Warden about the items they found. Of course, using said items on the crew makes you valid salad, but I do not believe you become valid simply for having them, more so if you've made it well known that you have them.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #371836

My thoughts on this has always been simple. If we allow people to meta, that should come with increased penalties for being wrong. If you want to assume shit, you better be right.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #371837

When you pick up what is normally exclusive to traitors why would you be surprised when you get bludgeoned to death and people think you're a traitor. It can be fun and meta breaking while simultaneously having consequences ICly.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #371838

Maybe if you hadn't been a tiding little shit they wouldn't have had reasons to execute you.

This is shut and close ban baiting.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #371839

Don't forget the various space goodies, syndie toolboxes, duffelbags, stetchkins, etc.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #371840

>player is memeing around

>security shuts that down

>player thinks security reacted too harshly

"BAN BAITING!!!!!!11"

This is a less clear cut example, but this trope will become the death of /tg/ and ss13 if not kept in check.

Not wanting security to rain on your parade while your being a little shit isn't ban baiting.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #371845

> running around with traitor gear that sometimes spawns on the map
Questionable, but not really "acting like an antag"

> breaking into the bridge and stealing all access
Kinda antaggish, very greytide, kinda makes you valid anyway

> Breaking into the bridge, stealing all access, then being found in possession of traitor gear when finally caught
oh you better berieve dat's varid
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #371847

Screemonster wrote:> running around with traitor gear that sometimes spawns on the map

> breaking into the bridge and stealing all access
Kinda antaggish, very greytide, kinda makes you valid anyway

> Breaking into the bridge, stealing all access, then being found in possession of traitor gear when finally caught
oh you better berieve dat's varid
Sweets

Post by Sweets » #371856

I understand that it's valid. I am not complaining TOO much about my death. The Warden could have handled it better than wordless point blank shotgun with no discussion, but I just wanted to get this matter settled and done.

So if a person has not done any tiding all shift or has a very minor record and are caught with mapspawn traitor gear, are they or are they not valid to security to wordlessly put a bullet in them with little to no explanation?
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #371909

Screemonster wrote:> running around with traitor gear that sometimes spawns on the map
Main part of that is "acting like an antag" If you are strolling about in your red hardsuit or tactical turtleneck, or maybe keeping your little pistol on your hip instead of a pocket, that's showing off trophies. Everyone likes to take antag toys. Like MSO said
MrStonedOne wrote:My thoughts on this has always been simple. If we allow people to meta, that should come with increased penalties for being wrong. If you want to assume shit, you better be right.
If you are going to blindly attack someone simply because they have an item, you get a bwoink if you are wrong.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #371935

MrStonedOne wrote:My thoughts on this has always been simple. If we allow people to meta, that should come with increased penalties for being wrong. If you want to assume shit, you better be right.
generally i agree, but there's a line that should be drawn somewhere

arresting somebody because they were carrying a piece of paper and might be a cultist is clearly a stupid, meta-motivated overreaction, but if somebody's toting around a stetchkin (and it's plainly obvious that it's not a toy, but the real-deal traitor-only gun) then it's much more understandable to bash them in on the spot
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #371941

Don't touch traitor items if you aren't ready to be mistaken for a traitor. Not a complicated rule.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #371956

>be me
>worried about meta
>what if i try to just trick everyone into thinking its x roundtype by making traitor/wiz/cult/whatever items show up as random loot
>everyone actually is tricked
>how could i have foreseen this
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #371985

It's not normally traitor exclusive if they lie around the station for people to pick up. In this case though, having stolen the ID he got what was coming to him. Any officer would assume that a syndicate item + stolen captain's ID is enough evidence of being a traitor. If I picked up a clown who hadn't done anything serious and found syndicate cards on him that he claimed he found in maint/bar I'd probably let him go.
--Crocodillo

feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #371998

So not to dig too deep into this one because I've kinda been avoiding it, but I want to reiterate that just because you find something in the hall or it's lying around somewhere doesn't mean that you're absolved of any IC consequences of having the item.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #372002

Hoarding items of limited quantity has been a powergaming staple for so long it's been normalized. If anyone thinks it a handy excuse to remove shitters from the round they better think again because now it's kill or be killed for having some syndie smokes and playing the game the way it's balanced to be played.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #372005

Iatots wrote:Hoarding items of limited quantity has been a powergaming staple for so long it's been normalized. If anyone thinks it a handy excuse to remove shitters from the round they better think again because now it's kill or be killed for having some syndie smokes and playing the game the way it's balanced to be played.
Dont do the crime if you cant do the time bitch
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #372007

Metabreakers are silly if you get banned for falling for them. Trying to IC trick players and then OOC punishing them for being tricked seems cruel

They're also more or less useless if you don't get banned for falling for them since you can just kill the suspicious player in question and be fine either way since you don't actually need any crew

I sometimes compare SS13 to mafia and say banning people for guessing wrong is like banning for a mislynch, but the flipside to that is mislynches actually cause you to lose the game in mafia.

No good answer here
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #372008

Kor wrote:No good answer here
removing them, we're going to have datum antags eventually anyways there will always be traitors in a round
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #372013

captain sawrge wrote:
Iatots wrote:Hoarding items of limited quantity has been a powergaming staple for so long it's been normalized. If anyone thinks it a handy excuse to remove shitters from the round they better think again because now it's kill or be killed for having some syndie smokes and playing the game the way it's balanced to be played.
Dont do the crime if you cant do the time bitch
More like don't expect anything other than the entire sec team being wiped after one officer sees an assistant with [fancy item].
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #372193

Having mapspawn traitor items as a metabreak is fine. The contributing factors are as ever, what maketh the crime. Carrying around a nonlethal traitor item when you get arrested for something minor while the station is fine should most likely not result in execution.

If you got pulled over for slipping an officer, they saw a syndie smoke grenade in your backpack and then executed you on the spot, I think most admins would be fairly comfortable saying sec was in the wrong, "traitor item" or no.

If you get pulled over for breaking into a high sec area, they see lethal contraband weaponry in your backpack and then execute you in a controlled manner (if perhaps not authorized by the HoS/Cap directly (was there even one of either?)), then its fairly clear that sec is not at fault here.

Also, the secondary (and arguably more important part) of metabreak items is to deceive sec about the roundtype, not just about one specific person.

If I catch shitbird a with a stetchkin after he tries to shoot the mime then I'm going to be fairly confident its traitors/traitling, even though in reality there's an insidious blood cult about to storm sec.

In summary: Don't commit two crimes at once.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #372231

I think it's a symptom of how loosely we treat Sec, which definitely has it's pros and cons. You don't have to grasp at too many straws to legitimize an execution if there's any grey area in the situation.

also, someone referred to 'datum antags', what's that? Not familiar with the term.
--Crocodillo

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #372236

Coders (mostly antur) are working hard on making game mode code non garbage, and all antag code compatible/standardized into antag datums. This would allow us to easily randomize and run mixed modes, which is what people on the forums are generally referring to as "datum antags"
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #372238

Ah ok, so you could do a rev round with a couple traitors running around, or a revolution with a changeling or something without having to have an admin morph a character into one manually. That could be interesting. And meta-breaking which would be nice. "IT'S REVS" got old a couple years ago.
--Crocodillo

WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #372253

I kinda think if we're going to have some random loot traitor items, we should expand the list to include all traitor items that aren't lethal weapons, and can't fuck up the whole station. Make it a little harder to meta if it's a real traitor or not. If it's a gun you'd know, but if someone found a chameleon projector in maintenance and was playing around with it they might not be.
--Crocodillo

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #372257

Lol remember Incoming's "Datum antags 2016" sig?

Pepperidge farm remembers
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #372303

Datum antags have been completed
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #372316

Jesus christ this is how far we've come.

IF YOU SEE AN ILLEGAL ITEM, AND DON'T WANT TO BE ARRESTED OR EXECUTED, REPORT IT TO SECURITY, LEAVE IT WHERE IT WAS OR PICK IT UP AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES.

It's fucking contraband. People are whining about getting fucked up for the highest-level of contraband. Just leave it on the fucking floor.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #372319

We also have to repeatedly explain to players:

* Entering the captain's office/armory/other high-security area and taking items has IC consequences
* Getting an AI or borg to open the door, or walking in through an already-hacked door, is not an open invitation which absolves you of any IC consequences
* Helping an antag do something can sometimes have IC consequences, even if you don't do so in a way that breaks rules
* Running around and shoving people or slipping security officers and heads isn't "doing nothing" and while if they kill you outright for it they're in the wrong, there still may be IC consequences
* Getting arrested for things you do ICly is not a violation of your rights as a player
* Getting the HoP to add access to your ID or change your job does not automatically make the person in charge of the department you beeline to accept you
* Being a security officer doesn't give you the automatic right to be a complete shithead to the crew for no reason, and being security does not absolve you of IC consequences for doing so
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #372351

feem wrote:We also have to repeatedly explain to players:

* Entering the captain's office/armory/other high-security area and taking items has IC consequences
* Getting an AI or borg to open the door, or walking in through an already-hacked door, is not an open invitation which absolves you of any IC consequences
* Helping an antag do something can sometimes have IC consequences, even if you don't do so in a way that breaks rules
* Running around and shoving people or slipping security officers and heads isn't "doing nothing" and while if they kill you outright for it they're in the wrong, there still may be IC consequences
* Getting arrested for things you do ICly is not a violation of your rights as a player
* Getting the HoP to add access to your ID or change your job does not automatically make the person in charge of the department you beeline to accept you
* Being a security officer doesn't give you the automatic right to be a complete shithead to the crew for no reason, and being security does not absolve you of IC consequences for doing so
This is excellent and should be saved on the wiki
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #372365

Stickymayhem wrote:Jesus christ this is how far we've come.

IF YOU SEE AN ILLEGAL ITEM, AND DON'T WANT TO BE ARRESTED OR EXECUTED, REPORT IT TO SECURITY, LEAVE IT WHERE IT WAS OR PICK IT UP AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES.

It's fucking contraband. People are whining about getting fucked up for the highest-level of contraband. Just leave it on the fucking floor.
"Huh, that traitor I managed to disarm/kill was carrying an emag and energy sword. Well, it's contraband, better just leave it on the floor and wait for security to come get it. Oh no, Joey Greytide just ran up and looted everything. If only I had picked it up to secure it, announcing it repeatedly over the radio, and made my way to security to drop it off. Yes, there is the chance I might be randomly searched, but I openly announced over the radio what I had found, and my intentions with them. If anything, the officer might take them from me, or escort me to the brig so I can explain the situation."

Yes, many items should be robust on sight outside of VERY certain circumstances, but there are plenty of times when it's not okay to kill someone simply because they have an item. I was brutally attacked for having a SMOKE grenade on my belt once. A fucking smoke grenade, something you can commonly find in maint, just lying around. Hell, once I was killed for having picked up the Dark Blessing, because it looks like a changeling blade. On Delta I found a toy pistol, and loaded it with riot foam rounds, which can be made at the autolathe. I was killed by a valid hunter as he saw me printing the ammo, because only tators have riot foam, right? It was a cult round.

Some items should be suspect, but flat out murdering someone simply because "That is a tator item. If they have it they must mean they are a tator, thus making them valid" should not be allowed. Having a desk of suspicious cards shouldn't make you an instant valid. Hell, the whole reason for a lot of arcade rewards are supposed to be metafuckery items, and potential valid bait. Seen people killed for wearing a replica red EVA suit, or pulling out a toy sword and running at someone with it.
oranges wrote:
feem wrote:We also have to repeatedly explain to players:

This is excellent and should be saved on the wiki
I second this.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #372418

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Jesus christ this is how far we've come.

"Huh, that traitor I managed to disarm/kill was carrying an emag and energy sword. Well, it's contraband, better just leave it on the floor and wait for security to come get it. Oh no, Joey Greytide just ran up and looted everything. If only I had picked it up to secure it, announcing it repeatedly over the radio, and made my way to security to drop it off. Yes, there is the chance I might be randomly searched, but I openly announced over the radio what I had found, and my intentions with them. If anything, the officer might take them from me, or escort me to the brig so I can explain the situation."
It says mapspawned in the title of the thread. A traitor's esword and emag are not mapspawned.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes