Why does IC revenge mitigate Admin intervention?

Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Why does IC revenge mitigate Admin intervention?

Post by Oldman Robustin » #372278

Bottom post of the previous page:

This is such a poor part of our policy.

Warnings are (and should be) the chief mechanic for guiding player behavior.

Retreating from a ban or a warning because someone got their shit stuffed in makes very little sense for guiding rule compliance. Getting killed by someone seeking revenge doesn't inform you whether or not your initial interaction (i.e. what you did to deserve getting killed) was valid. As long as we maintain the idea that there is "purely valid" escalation where non-antags can murder each other without violating the rules, settling Ahelps with "Resolved IC" just means you're kicking the can down the road for players who broke the rules and got killed for it - so some other admin can sort it out when the player starts the same shit but cosmic karma doesn't get them killed AND the victims ahelp with a coherent story.

Of course it also skews IC behavior in a far broader and unhealthier way too - with playing accounting for which admins are logged on and the likelihood of getting the other person banned - when deciding how to escalate against someone griefing them. I say if someone has done something to make themselves valid to you, you should be able to act out revenge without fear of foreclosing a proper ruling on their behavior from Admins. And for the griefer it's better for them to know that their behavior crossed a line so they can distinguish between behavior that can result in them becoming "valid" versus behavior that could get them banned.

This should mostly apply to warnings (See Line #2), if someone crossed a line, admins need to let them know and not hold back because they got killed in the process of breaking the rules. The outcome is still the same but everyone benefits from clearer guidance. If there's a ban on the table then it seems ludicrous that we actually PUNISH people for role-playing and acting on their IC-motivations.

"Hi it looks like you acted appropriately on your IC motivations, therefore we've decided to punish you by removing the Griefer's dayban and instead letting your revenge - partially removing them from the game, not even accounting for cloning/ghost roles - suffice instead. If you would like to see rule-breakers actually punished for rule-breaking, next time consider just standing still and getting beat to death while you shout into the heavens for our intervention - thats how we like to see conflict play out on SS13."

Sounds pretty silly huh? It might make sense if we dropped shorter bans on people, but as it stands its just a sloppy way to reduce admin workload at the cost of murkier policy and skewing IC behavior.
Oldman Robustin

Re: Why does IC revenge mitigate Admin intervention?

Post by Oldman Robustin » #373945

SpaceInaba wrote:>handle issue ic
>want ooc solution anyways
unless they were so bad and obnoxious that they literally fucked your mom IRL (lol get owned) I don't see why anything needs to be done
Because the issue wasn't "handled" in IC just because they ended up getting killed while breaking the rules. The standard punishment for an "invalid kill" is typically a dayban if they've been warned before. I see rule-breaking grief every day that either severely diminishes or ruins the round of MULTIPLE others. Turning the griefer sideways after they've done the damage does not mean the issue has been "handled IC".
Atlanta-Ned wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:I mean it shouldn't be a hard principle.

Rule breaking is rule breaking. Apply the punishment for the offense because as I've already written a small novel about, there's really no reason to ever hold back a warning or ban because someone got partially removed from a single round.

I strongly encourage you to play on a different server if this is how you want everything to be handled.
I've survived more bans than anyone else posting here, many of them downright laughable, I'm hardly a fan of bans. But like I've said multiple times I think warnings are an incredibly important tool for guiding unhealthy behavior and when those warnings go unspoken because "well he got lynched anyway" then all you're doing is reinforcing for that individual that their behavior was valid and that they can lube the shuttle any old time with the understanding that the inevitable lynching makes everything whole again. All you're doing is sending a mixed message about how our rules are enforced and it not only perpetuates rule-breaking behavior it even can be unfair for the rule-breaker when someone has an admin let them off the hook the first time but when a different admin sees them do it they get the hammer dropped.

What do you have against warnings and notes Atlanta?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #373947

Oldman Robustin wrote: Rule breaking is rule breaking.
This is a terrible way to admin and I'm disappointed to hear this coming from you. There are cases when rule breaking can make the round interesting and we only have these rules in place so that one guy doesn't have fun at the expense of everyone else's enjoyment of the round. (unless he wins the grief lottery in which case all that goes out the window)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #373949

what even is grief
is every time you get annoyed grief
why do we even have clowns if being annoying is grief
do you ahelp every time you slip on lube because it upset you for the 5 seconds you were on the floor
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #373963

I understand you got your big boy pants recently spaceInaba, but don't go shitting policy up just yet.
If you feel like contributing meaningfully you could start by telling me if you think players dealing with OOC problems ICly is the same as an admin bwoinking the perpetrator.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #373969

BeeSting12 wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote: Rule breaking is rule breaking.
This is a terrible way to admin and I'm disappointed to hear this coming from you. There are cases when rule breaking can make the round interesting and we only have these rules in place so that one guy doesn't have fun at the expense of everyone else's enjoyment of the round. (unless he wins the grief lottery in which case all that goes out the window)
The funfact is that there were no rules broken in this case in the first place but the admins stopped investigating as soon as he murdered the person.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #373972

This is a stupid thread because rules are enforced alongside IC intervention when it's a serious rule breaking. If you max cap the station and get killed before an admin can ban you you're not just suddenly off the hook, you get both. If someone crits you and you get healed before going to kill them you have the choice of ahelping it before you go valid them. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules you're right, it's completely up to you if you want to ask an admin to get involved instead of getting personal revenge but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374008

Iatots wrote:I understand you got your big boy pants recently spaceInaba, but don't go shitting policy up just yet.
If you feel like contributing meaningfully
literally no one will ever listen to you if you continue to be a fucking douchecanoe for no reason
Limey wrote:its too late.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #374055

From vague glancing over what oldman is defending, he's not completely wrong. Its case by case, but at some point admins are required to curb a behaviour and not just IC player punishments, because of the mixed messages reasoning but also because its far less common for players to seek out negative attention from admins than players. Double-dipping is something else that players do and that's something admins should deal with case by case.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #374096

imblyings wrote:From vague glancing over what oldman is defending, he's not completely wrong. Its case by case, but at some point admins are required to curb a behaviour and not just IC player punishments, because of the mixed messages reasoning but also because its far less common for players to seek out negative attention from admins than players. Double-dipping is something else that players do and that's something admins should deal with case by case.
Though I've already said my opinion is that this is a case by case situation I want to re-highlight here that ausops has said it far better than I ever could.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #374331

Dax Dupont wrote: The funfact is that there were no rules broken in this case in the first place but the admins stopped investigating as soon as he murdered the person.
"No rules were broken, I mean nobody ruled on it, but if they did the rules definitely weren't broken by me the person"

You told security I was a cultist for absolutely no reason, then crit me and left me for dead the next time you saw me despite me not hurting you at any point.

Earlier in the day you gunned me down as the CE while I was trying to recover the disk because I had reported on radio that you attacked an officer and stole their gun. Then once Ops arrived, I told the officer to release you because we needed everyone we could get to stop the Ops. So of course you followed me into the captain's office and attacked me too. While Nukeops were literally gunning people down right outside the door.

Definitely no rule-breaking going on there no sirrrr.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #374342

Oldman Robustin wrote:Definitely no rule-breaking going on there no sirrrr.
So we're coming around to "this is a ban request disguised as a policy thread" reveal phase. Man, that took a while.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #374349

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote: The funfact is that there were no rules broken in this case in the first place but the admins stopped investigating as soon as he murdered the person.
"No rules were broken, I mean nobody ruled on it, but if they did the rules definitely weren't broken by me the person"

You told security I was a cultist for absolutely no reason, then crit me and left me for dead the next time you saw me despite me not hurting you at any point.

Earlier in the day you gunned me down as the CE while I was trying to recover the disk because I had reported on radio that you attacked an officer and stole their gun. Then once Ops arrived, I told the officer to release you because we needed everyone we could get to stop the Ops. So of course you followed me into the captain's office and attacked me too. While Nukeops were literally gunning people down right outside the door.

Definitely no rule-breaking going on there no sirrrr.

>be medic
>actively responding to suit sensors
>greytide drops spear
>need something to defend against cult
>tell me you'll murder me for picking up a spear
>you're either being a cock or you're a cult, figure to play it safe, security has plenty of holy water.
>chase me with flash with intent to murder for like 3 minutes straight
>softcrit you so I get away
>was going to cuff and heal but there were two security officers so I had to skedaddle
>officers heal you as expected
>I get axed to death by you and hidden deep in maintenance and my head gets spaced, valid escalation I suppose.

>be smashing ed209 because someone set it to weapon mode
>you use loud mode and tell the AI I'm committing human harm "because I'm giving you a heart attack and you're old"
>say another 5 screen filling paragraphs on your loudmode headset trying to get me lynched by the AI and arrested
>nukies get revealed
>tase you and steal one of your power tools and leave
>no cuffs, no Ops near, just down a power tool and a 10 second stun

I never stole an officers gun and you never told anyone to release me. You made it a giant deal by quasi spamming comms about a smashing a bot. In retrospect i wonder if that was related to a earlier round where I cremated you as an antag along with others since you got really angry about that and you've kinda got a history of grudging.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374372

I am absolutely floored not surprised at all that this turned into a ban request
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #374377

Qbopper wrote:I am absolutely floored not surprised at all that this turned into a ban request
An invalid one at that.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #374382

Robustin king of the salt mines does it again
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #374390

Someone posted this on discord a week or so back.
You really need to let things go and stop holding a grudge. It's better for your heart.
Last edited by Dax Dupont on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #374394

Lol thats some epic cross-round salt
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374500

Dax Dupont wrote:Image
Someone posted this on discord a week or so back.
You really need to let things go and stop holding a grudge. It's better for your heart.
robustin is literally incapable of not holding grudges
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #374663

This is the problem with ban requests-disguised-as-policy-threads, half the people in the thread are debating high-level abstract policy questions while the other half are laser-focused on specific incidents that may or may not ever get identified or be related
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #375335

>Dont mention any specifics

>No intention of raising specifics or relitigating an old ahelp

>Nothing against the admins who made the decision since it was in-line with our policy

>Only issue with with the policy itself

>Dupont start shitposting about the specific incident and some other totally unrelated round that in no way contributes to the discussion

>I call her out

>Shitposter Gallery: OOOOOOH looks like Robustin turned the thread into a ban request!!!!!!

How does me yelling on radio about getting about 10 different rules violated against me during Warops as captain contribute to this discussion at all?

You're not even trying to conceal your shitposting Dupont I'm just disappointed the mods haven't cleaned this thread up. Who are you trying to convince by bullshitting anyway. The logs will prove you're lying about half the shit you type and common sense disproves the other half. Taking a spear from someone who is fighting marauders and then running around them for the next two minutes trying to play keep-away isn't "valid self defense" nor is reporting them as a cultist just because they finally got their weapon back from the grief-doctor. Only thing I'm guilty of it getting baited by your godawful posting.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #375365

>logs will reveal the truth
>lie about it being warops
It wasn't warops and you were the CE.
You can't even get your facts straight.
Come on robustin.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #375583

I've had this issue once before, but it's extremely rare I'll take matters into my own hands.

In my case I had argued with this player in previous rounds while trying to learn science. In previous rounds he had been caught trying to force borg people and called out for it. So it's a new round and I'm doing R&D, 40 minutes into the game this player joins as a roboticist, comes into R&D, flashes and wirecuffs me and takes me to toxins to loot all my stuff. Seems clear to me he isn't antag so I shoot admins a ahelp, but eh, the reply I get is they are eating or whatever so I'm sort of left locked in a room for 10 minutes seeing how it plays out.

Eventually someone comes by and I break out. Admins haven't done anything and the guy is still running around the station. Security is either dead or inactive (fairly low pop) so I get a flash and a circular saw together from robotics and take matters into my own hands. Eventually I find him, flash and bash him to death, search for my stuff to find he's stashed it or disposed of it, and I take the body to a airlock and just throw it out.

So on one hand, the matter was resolved in a sense. However it completely and utterly ruined my round, he wasn't some antag that killed me, nor was he someone who I started a fight with (or even interacted with that round) he's some player who joined and specifically decided to take me out of the round for 10+ minutes by putting me in a locked room with no ID or radio and take away all my hard work on the department. Sadly the fact I dealt with it meant when the admin did eventually reply to my ahelps following up on the issue, they considered it revolved.

I'm not going to look up the specific incident because it was like 4+ months ago and this is policy discussion. It's just something I agree with Robustin on. If it was a matter of escilation getting out of hand I wouldn't bat a eyelid at it. When it's clear someone joined specifically to grief, I don't think it matters if the crew eventually does something about them. That said, I understand admins have a lot on their plate and you can't trust the words of one person without doing a little work to verify their accounts. If the matter looks resolved when you finally get back to it, I suppose it's easier to just wash your hands of it.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #375712

epic ban request thread
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #375730

>it's a "thread gets derailed but instead of asking for deletion of the guilty posts admins shit up the thread" episode.

Everything after rustledjimms' last post ought to be on the chopping board. Three different admins felt like making low effort " it was a ban request after all!!!" comment after MSO clearly spelled out that threads like these are allowed if they bring a valuable discussion to the table, instead of asking board moderators to steer the discussion back on topic, and it's embarassing, regardless if they do it for free or not.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #375744

Its case by case, but at some point admins are required to curb a behaviour and not just IC player punishments, because of the mixed messages reasoning but also because its far less common for players to seek out negative attention from admins than players. Double-dipping is something else that players do and that's something admins should deal with case by case.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.