Reasonable force in self defence within a department.

Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Reasonable force in self defence within a department.

Post by Gouty » #373227

So, it is well understood that if you enter a department illegally and refuse to leave, that the occupants may apply lethal force.

It seems that players recently have gotten into the mindset that "lol you are trespassing my department therefore I can kill you" regardless of the situation and use this as an excuse to get their valids on.

I've had 2 situations today where this has come up.

In one someone hopped the kitchen counter and entered the kitchen, a chef and a warden were present, the warden stunned and restrained the intruder and allowed the chef to kill and drag them into the back room for gibbing.

In the other, on pubby station, a scientist was not aware that the corridor between R&D and Robotics was public access and so killed someone with no prior interaction. Even if the area was deemed only for science staff the assistant was there peacefully.

Is there any way to clarify what constitutes reasonable force? Or are admins to continue using our best judgement?
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Reasonable force in self defence within a department.

Post by Lazengann » #373228

I thought it was critting for first offense and lethal for if they come back
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #373229

Also if they don't ask them to leave first(when appropriate) then they're shitty, go have em play elsewhere
Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Post by Gouty » #373231

This is the thing, is it as cut and dry as that? What if they have a reason to be in there? What if you have the ability to stun and restrain?
Lazengann wrote:Also if they don't ask them to leave first(when appropriate) then they're shitty, go have em play elsewhere
And I've seen people tell someone to leave, and while they are trying, or typing out a reply jump straight on them with a toolbox or the like.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #373239

Gouty wrote:What if you have the ability to stun and restrain?
Did they hack/tailgate? Try and stun, let security pick em up.
Did they break your windows/walls to get in, did they break anything inside, steal vital shit and/or waste resources? Toolbox them to crit/death.

Intent is also a big one, did the guy go inside because they needed something or wanted to fix something? Like a doctor getting into science because nobody is doing science and cloning has 30 corpses in line?
Or is Mr. Greytide only interested on being inside to start conflict for escalation(murder) sake? To scream HELP JORGE MELANS IS TATOR/REV/AI THEY ARE HARMING HUMANS. I've seen some players doing the latter a lot lately.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #373354

If you ask them to leave and they don't leave within a reasonable amount of time or verbally or physically refuse - you go to disarm/stun. If they come back, you get security involved. If it happens a third time, you can go to critting (try to avoid killing if possible). If they come back a fourth time, then go to lethal.

NOTE: You can move to the next escalation step if they respond in kind. You go for the stun, they go for the disarm. They jump to harmful, you go harmful.

Please keep in mind context, if someone is hiding from the e-sworder outside - don't gift-wrap them for the murderer. If a singulo is tearing its way through the station, don't be a massive cunt.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #373384

>accidentally warp into chemistry lab with a strange item
>in literally less than a second lit on fire and splashed with acid
fuck chemists
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #373404

Context is key but I feel there should be some reasonable time frame offered to "intruders" to leave the department before you unsheath your hidden weapons you made in anticipation for this very moment.

Hacking someone to death without giving them a chance to leave, or even explain their presence, strikes me as poor sportsmanship and just shitty behaviour in general.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #373411

Steelpoint wrote:Context is key but I feel there should be some reasonable time frame offered to "intruders" to leave the department before you unsheath your hidden weapons you made in anticipation for this very moment.

Hacking someone to death without giving them a chance to leave, or even explain their presence, strikes me as poor sportsmanship and just shitty behaviour in general.
Context as you said, but in the cases where the break-in or trespass is clearly intentional (tiding the chem shed, forcing yourself into robotics to get shades/a flash/whatever) there should be no issue with the defender simply disposing of the intruder. The offending party has clearly demonstrated that they are willing to force the issue by forcing their way inside.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #373417

Anonmare wrote:If you ask them to leave and they don't leave within a reasonable amount of time or verbally or physically refuse - you go to disarm/stun. If they come back, you get security involved. If it happens a third time, you can go to critting (try to avoid killing if possible). If they come back a fourth time, then go to lethal.

NOTE: You can move to the next escalation step if they respond in kind. You go for the stun, they go for the disarm. They jump to harmful, you go harmful.

Please keep in mind context, if someone is hiding from the e-sworder outside - don't gift-wrap them for the murderer. If a singulo is tearing its way through the station, don't be a massive cunt.
Pfff usually people try to lynch you the moment you set foot in a department, trying to leave or not.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #373430

I've always treated it, both while playing and as an admin, with a fairly reasonable and standard chain of escalation.

First intrusion - Ask them, verbally, to leave. Either they do, and problem resolved, or they don't.

If they refuse to leave - Violent, but non-lethal force, to remove them is permitted. If they respond with violence while invading a department, the defender is permitted to escalate further to potentially lethal force. Nobody should be expected to de-escalate while defending their own department. If the intruder does not respond violently and is killed anyway, the defender has gone too far and is liable for admin punishment.

Second intrusion - Lethal force authorized. If a person has intruded twice barring some emergency necessitating their presence (supermatter is going and they're there to fix it, station is burning down and they need supplies from medbay, etc), they've put a target on their own back and the department can't be expected to continue throwing them out. Still wouldn't make permanent removal from the round a fair response, but killing them and leaving their corpse on the floor would seem fair enough - the defenders shouldn't feel obligated to see the intruder gets cloned.

As long as something similar to this chain of escalation was present, I'd have a hard time getting too angry at the defenders. There's only so much bullshit a department can be expected to take before they decide repeatedly throwing someone out just isn't going to be worth the hassle. Giving one fair warning and throwing them out alive is all the response an intruder should really deserve.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #373451

Follow ACK

Ask first
Crit second*
Kill Last

* leave them somewhere they can get sent to medbay. If they bleed out not your problem.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #373458

I don't think this kind of situation needs any hard and fast rules. There are many factors that could be at play. And I really feel we need far, far less 'if they do X then valid' rules that can be toelined.

Did the person breaking in attempt to contact the department first, was a perfectly reasonable request returned with silence?
Is it a particularly sensitive area where any time a perp is allowed to explain themselves could be used to fuck up the station? (Engine room, AI upload, etc)
Is the station-wide situation currently out of control?
Do they have any legitimate reason to be in there?
Did they break in on their own volition or are they some unfortunate sap who got beaned by a bluespace tomato?

All are kinds of questions that can change what a reasonable response to a break-in is.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #373565

>someone else doing my job
hahahahahahaha no
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #373567

DemonFiren wrote:>someone else doing my job
hahahahahahaha no
>Not stunning them, taking their ID and clothes, giving them your ID and clothes, and going to do their job instead
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #373569

Saegrimr wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:>someone else doing my job
hahahahahahaha no
>Not stunning them, taking their ID and clothes, giving them your ID and clothes, and going to do their job instead
>demoting yourself to assistant
Ligga please.
awesine wrote:>not appreciating the extra hand and potential time to go do whatever you want
>someone else doing my job
>my job
>the job i specifically chose to do
>like almost everything in current ss13 a one-man job
>go do whatever you want
really tosses my fruit salad
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #373609

awesine wrote:if you kick someone out of your department/kill them when they aren't negatively harming you or the station you are a faggot
if you kick someone out of your department/kill them literally the second you see them without even asking them questions, you are a mega ultra omega faggot and i hate you

if they are doing something useful and/or doing your fucking job, just leave them be, jesus christ
There's a joke here about banging your wife.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #373646

Moonlighting is not okay!
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #373728

awesine wrote:>not appreciating the extra hand and potential time to go do whatever you want
this is stupid, doing rnd with more than one person is suicide inducing, same with a bunch of other jobs
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #373730

I was inspired by this thread to stand inside science and spend a shift just tossing two toolbox thwacks as an entry fee to any would be moonlighters.

Gotta pay that toll.