Security and retaliation against arrest as non-antag

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Security and retaliation against arrest as non-antag

Post by CitrusGender » #373258

Bottom post of the previous page:

This is actually something that came across my mind a while ago but I did not make a policy thread due to the fact that I did not care enough for it.

There are some fringe situations that exist where people being captured by security would most likely receive a death sentence since the crimes they committed would be warranting a death sentence.

Particularly, I remember a situation where I basically caused enough havoc on the situation for me to know that being caught by the security would have spelled me death. As such, I often found myself having to stun whatever officer was coming after me to prevent them from putting me a sentence that would spell my death.

Later on in this situation, I stunned a few officers and then I stunned another one for the third time and tied them to a chair while stripping them (I'd rather kill them, but I wanted to be nice and just slow them down). It was then at this time I was told by an admin (this was before I was an admin) to stop what I was doing even though I could have probably done a lot worse to them (But I was non-antag.)

Similar situations have been brought up to me by other people and I intended to make this thread awhile ago: so I ask you all

If a reasonable person can believe that their punishment would be death: What retaliation would they be allowed to have?

What retaliation is a normal person allowed to have if death is an unlikely punishment?
What if a person is about to be executed, but they get out of their cuffs. Is it an IC issue if they beat the warden to crit/death upon them coming back to the execution chamber, even if they are non-antag?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Security and retaliation against arrest as non-antag

Post by BeeSting12 » #377113

lol i remember the sunglasses thing. good times.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #377122

The price of taking sunglasses from the Armory.

Why would a scientist need them anyways.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #377123

Pascal125 wrote:The price of taking sunglasses from the Armory.
Don't tell me about it, it wasn't my idea. I've just asked a random assistant if he could get sunglasses for me, and that's where he went. I honestly expected him to choose to roam maint instead.
Pascal125 wrote:Why would a scientist need them anyways.
To not get blinded by almost every single slime core reaction.

Anyhow, the whole "you deserved it anyway" seems detrimental to the actual policy discussion. We're here to discuss on how much a player is allowed to retaliate, whether they deserve being hunted down for their initial offense or not.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #377125

The you deserve it part is an integral part of this discussion though. If it's unjust, then I believe the player should be able to fight back, and if it's just then the player should be limited in their fighting back.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #377148

Cobby wrote:Spacing a guy over sunglasses epic
>let officer off
>they try to perma you for taking fucking sunglasses
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #377149

Most epic part of this whole policy is that it's valid escalation if the sec officer takes someone out of the round by permabrigging them over taking an item found in every single locker but if said person doesn't lay down and take it or spend their whole round dodging sec and anyone in cahoots with them it's a bannu.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #377155

captain sawrge wrote:Most epic part of this whole policy is that it's valid escalation if the sec officer takes someone out of the round by permabrigging them over taking an item found in every single locker but if said person doesn't lay down and take it or spend their whole round dodging sec and anyone in cahoots with them it's a bannu.
that part is dodgy because we don't know what the sec officer's perspective on the whole thing was. all he knows for sure is that they were in the armory and evaded arrest for it afterwords. i agree it's stupid but misinformation is a big part of the game and it's hard to tell what the sec officer believed without at least having his side of the story
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #377159

captain sawrge wrote:Most epic part of this whole policy is that it's valid escalation if the sec officer takes someone out of the round by permabrigging them over taking an item found in every single locker but if said person doesn't lay down and take it or spend their whole round dodging sec and anyone in cahoots with them it's a bannu.
Except that that's not the crime. If the crime was "stealing sunglasses" and an officer hunted someone down with intent to kill for it, then yes the officer would be in the wrong. The crime in this scenario is clearly "breaking into the armory", which has always made you valid. Committing a crime that makes you valid and then murdering and spacing the officer who tries to get you for it is pretty bad behavior.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #377163

EagleWiz wrote:
Except that that's not the crime. If the crime was "stealing sunglasses" and an officer hunted someone down with intent to kill for it, then yes the officer would be in the wrong. The crime in this scenario is clearly "breaking into the armory", which has always made you valid. Committing a crime that makes you valid and then murdering and spacing the officer who tries to get you for it is pretty bad behavior.
Slignerd wrote:I was once given sunglasses by an assistant who hacked into the armory just to get them for me.
They did not break into the armory.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #377179

Gather round ye lads and lasses and hear the tale of the heinous shades heist
Spoiler:
/// 1. Image /// 2. Image /// 3. Image

My crime at the time was to stand outside brig access and verbally plead with the officer while he was arresting the assistant. Tell the officer that the guy only wanted to get a pair of sunglasses for me. That's apparently enough to stun me on the spot and start a full scale manhunt when I happened to get away. These are the circumstances under which I was banned for retaliating.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #377180

dear god