Security and retaliation against arrest as non-antag

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Security and retaliation against arrest as non-antag

Post by CitrusGender » #373258

This is actually something that came across my mind a while ago but I did not make a policy thread due to the fact that I did not care enough for it.

There are some fringe situations that exist where people being captured by security would most likely receive a death sentence since the crimes they committed would be warranting a death sentence.

Particularly, I remember a situation where I basically caused enough havoc on the situation for me to know that being caught by the security would have spelled me death. As such, I often found myself having to stun whatever officer was coming after me to prevent them from putting me a sentence that would spell my death.

Later on in this situation, I stunned a few officers and then I stunned another one for the third time and tied them to a chair while stripping them (I'd rather kill them, but I wanted to be nice and just slow them down). It was then at this time I was told by an admin (this was before I was an admin) to stop what I was doing even though I could have probably done a lot worse to them (But I was non-antag.)

Similar situations have been brought up to me by other people and I intended to make this thread awhile ago: so I ask you all

If a reasonable person can believe that their punishment would be death: What retaliation would they be allowed to have?

What retaliation is a normal person allowed to have if death is an unlikely punishment?
What if a person is about to be executed, but they get out of their cuffs. Is it an IC issue if they beat the warden to crit/death upon them coming back to the execution chamber, even if they are non-antag?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Security and retaliation against arrest as non-antag

Post by DemonFiren » #373261

that makes me wonder how many tiding admins we do have
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #373262

If you're causing enough shit that security has reasonable grounds to kill you then you deserve to eat a tempban.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #373265

Why the fuck are you causing that much trouble as a nonantag in the first place?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #373266

Reece wrote:If you're causing enough shit that security has reasonable grounds to kill you then you deserve to eat a tempban.
this line of thinking is how you destroy the game

my personal stance is that admins and rules should not tell you to lie down and surrender because that would make the game very boring and unfun to play, but being wanted doesn't give you any sort of special right to go all out and fuck people up

basically unless your back is to the wall you should try to avoid being lethal
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #373267

DemonFiren wrote:that makes me wonder how many tiding admins we do have
I've cleaned up my act now. This was awhile ago.
Reece wrote:If you're causing enough shit that security has reasonable grounds to kill you then you deserve to eat a tempban.
This is what I would normally think.
At the same time, I understand there are two sides to the arguement.
If it is allowed, people will just do terrible shit and then kill security for coming after them.

If it is now allowed, however, then people will be unable to do things that would probably considered reasonable on the fact that they had nothing to lose (I.E. I've escalated into a situation that would make it unreasonable to kill security due to the fact that they would kill me. [Let's just say that what you've done is within the rules])

I don't think particularly either outcome is optimum

Edit: Though I would probably lean on the side of the latter.

Saegrimr wrote:Why the fuck are you causing that much trouble as a nonantag in the first place?
This was like 2 months ago.
I'm more or less asking for someone else now.
Last edited by CitrusGender on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece

Post by Reece » #373268

captain sawrge wrote:

my personal stance is that admins and rules should not tell you to lie down and surrender because that would make the game very boring and unfun to play, but being wanted doesn't give you any sort of special right to go all out and fuck people up

Security should only be killing for Grand Sabltage, murders, etc. Doing those as a non antag should be bannable.
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #373271

Security is never reasonable
help
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #373272

This has to be the absolute worst crap someone has ever posted in policy discussion.

Conflict happens all the time between non antags and is part of the game.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Reece

Post by Reece » #373273

CPTANT wrote:
This has to be the absolute worst crap someone has ever posted in policy discussion.

Conflict happens all the time between non antags and is part of the game.
Conflict happens. Security having reasonable grounds to kill you should only be the case of you have murdered someone; committed some grand sabotage, or are actively assisting antags to do the above. Security shouldn't be kiling for petty shit, or someone being a nuisance.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #373293

CitrusGender wrote: If a reasonable person can believe that their punishment would be death: What retaliation would they be allowed to have?
The same that they have so far received.

They cannot ESCALATE against an officer apprehending them for a crime, meaning you don't get to up it to lethals because you expect them to kill you after you've been nonharmfully detained. You can however retaliate to the same degree. If they start shooting you with lethals or explicitly say they want to kill you then feel free to return in kind.

Do note that if you're at this point you need to severely assess how you're playing the game because I'm willing to bet you're on an admin's radar after this event.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #373295

As a tider, here's my view:

If you join the dark side and cause that much shit, you have zero escalation rights whatsoever. That you means you are effectively valid, while being unable to retaliate in any lethal way even if it means you die. Stuns and cuffs are the only options you have, and even cuffing shouldn't lead to their death or inconvenience them for more than a minute or two.

If you are caught, expect to die, don't complain and never adminhelp.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #373301

Why would doing enough shit to make you valid give you the go ahead to ruin other peoples rounds. If you're gonna do that much shit just take your medicine
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #373305

Nilons wrote:Why would doing enough shit to make you valid give you the go ahead to ruin other peoples rounds. If you're gonna do that much shit just take your medicine
There are also the situations where shitsec is actually shitsec and is the one that over escalates.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #373306

CPTANT wrote:
Nilons wrote:Why would doing enough shit to make you valid give you the go ahead to ruin other peoples rounds. If you're gonna do that much shit just take your medicine
There are also the situations where shitsec is actually shitsec and is the one that over escalates.
If shitsec is over escalating and killing people for no reason ahelp it.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #373309

Previous discussion on this subject of when it's okay for a nonantag to kill security is that if security are behaving so badly that killing them is justified, the security players should be eating a ban anyway or else are antags in disguise.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #373310

This is the same as the old gun cargo problem

You initiate sec coming after, you don't get to retaliate, how much simpler can it be?

If you don't want sec to kill you for being a greytider, then don't hack into the captains office / armory 60 seconds into the round
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #373348

captain sawrge wrote: this line of thinking is how you destroy the game

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #373385

Reece wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:

Security should only be killing for Grand Sabltage, murders, etc. Doing those as a non antag should be bannable.
Keyword is that's what they should be doing
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #373403

Sticky is right as usual.

I'd suggest not making a habit of being a greytider, and fully expect to either be tossed out an airlock naked and in cuffs, thrown into a lava pit or left to rot in perma.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #373472

Let's take the "u earned your murder by stealing the hand tele and writing DICK in the captains office lie down and die faggot" out of the equation.

What if sec are coming after you because they think you did something execution-worthy but you didnt ?

(IE a tator killed someone while disguised as you)

What are your rights then? Sec are escalating straight to lethal and you did nothing wrong.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #373482

The rules page has a bunch of bullet points which all boil down to "security are subject to the same rules about escalation as everyone else" so if you're in a situation where security are the aggressor (regardless of their reasons, especially imperfect information) then it makes sense that you should be able to defend yourself. Nothing as far as bombing the brig or anything like that, but if security are screaming openly on the radio of their intent to murder you when they find you and one of them stumbles upon wherever you're holed up I honestly wouldn't bat an eye if you killed them if you got the drop on them, nor would I particularly expect you to go out of your way to get them cloned - they're the ones that created the situation where you can't walk the halls to get the body to medbay.

Maybe security shouldn't leap straight to "murder anyone even slightly suspicious" if they don't want people shanking them in self-defence but the key point here that everyone seems to agree on is that you don't get to escalate against sec if you're genuinely the one that initiated the conflict.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #373490

To be quite honest it peeves me that if sec decides to kill you after they sentence you you're still expected to lie down and receive the death.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #373510

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Let's take the "u earned your murder by stealing the hand tele and writing DICK in the captains office lie down and die faggot" out of the equation.

What if sec are coming after you because they think you did something execution-worthy but you didnt ?

What are your rights then? Sec are escalating straight to lethal and you did nothing wrong.
You can return in kind since you didn't do the crime.

If you're trying to prove your innocence though I don't see how escalating it on your end would help.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #373525

Cobby wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Let's take the "u earned your murder by stealing the hand tele and writing DICK in the captains office lie down and die faggot" out of the equation.

You can return in kind since you didn't do the crime.

If you're trying to prove your innocence though I don't see how escalating it on your end would help.
yeah your best bet is to (try) and get arrested and convince them to place you in the brig and search for the other you
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #373527

Karp wrote:

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #373531

BeeSting12 wrote:
Karp wrote:

I think no lethal even if your back is to the wall against security as a non-antag.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #373532

Allow admins to add notes to people that show up in the end-of-round report so if a sec officer mistakenly thinks someone's a traitor and valids the fuck out of them and that person ahelps, rather than banning them for being wrong everyone sees a message like

The traitors were:
Urist McTatortot (played by badman) the botanist
1: Assassinate Patsy Mcfallguy, the chemist. Success!
2: Escape on the shuttle aliveblahblahblah Success!
The traitor was successful!

Honorable Mentions:
Valid McHarmbaton (played by playtowinner) the security officer
Took the traitor's bait and executed their target for them on flimsy evidence like a fucking chumbis
The chumbis has failed!
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #373534

we can already give people custom objectives
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #373557

BeeSting12 wrote:
Karp wrote:

SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #373574

One time I ahelped to ask when it was OK to kill a security officer, and the answer I got was "If they do something that would get any other job killed". So in my opinion escalation works the same with sec officers as it does with everyone else, it's just that people will take it more serious IC when you kill an officer.

I mean, when I'm shitting around I usually try to stun them with their own weapon then throw their weapon back to them right away, but I don't think it's unreasonable to cuff them with their own cuffs to a chair in some humiliating place.

It's when you start actively hunting down sec officers by critting them or with a stolen taser with the objective specifically to take them out of the round like a murderboning antag that admins should get involved. If there's a manhunt for you and you're nonantag I think you should be allowed to resist arrest nonlethally for the purpose of getting away with no consequence.

I really don't think IC nonlethal crime and retaliation shouldn't warrant admin intervention in most cases. Nonantagonist crime makes sense once people actually start to roleplay and can create interesting situations; however TG is just keeps leaving the problem of "Are we supposed to play this game like a "Game game" or a "Roleplaying game" completely unaddressed, and so we get threads like this.

The answer to the question is always "depends on the situation", but I feel like people are acting like the only reasons you'd be wanted by security is because either A. you're a bad greytider or B. Security is shit, which is a massively simplified view of things once you take into account the diversity of situations that can occur in the game when it works at its best. Why do we need to have a set rule on this?
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #373584

Like everything else it all depends on context and what attempts you made to defuse the situation prior.

Stealing the armory then killing all of security when they chase you because you're valid now is bad.

But a while ago when an assistant slipped the HoS for trying to arrest him (for having the slippy relic) and took his gun, I gave him permission in ahelp to use lethal force on sec since they kept trying to kill him twenty minutes after he PDAd the HoS and returned it.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #373663

Stickymayhem wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
Karp wrote:

I think no lethal even if your back is to the wall against security as a non-antag.
This would only work if security bothered to put effort into to determine if someone is actually valid. Every sec regular in this thread would be tripping over themselves to beat the suspect to death first if someone over sec chat vaguely implied the suspect did something as severe as stealing jackboots or walking into the teleporter after it had been emagged by someone else.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #373725

Davidchan wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
Karp wrote:

This would only work if security bothered to put effort into to determine if someone is actually valid. Every sec regular in this thread would be tripping over themselves to beat the suspect to death first if someone over sec chat vaguely implied the suspect did something as severe as stealing jackboots or walking into the teleporter after it had been emagged by someone else.
Problem being that security is a super high risk job and playing the good cop can often mean risking sitting out of a round for 30-40 minutes. If murdering officers was less of an attractive solution then maybe there would be a bit more leeway to roleplay as an officer.

It is an incentive issue, consider code solutions, such as adding life alarms for officers or making them start scanned into genetics.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #373751

If sec decides that you and your entire department are cult and is going to try to purge you on the spot I don't see a problem with responding with lethal force.
If sec decides that an assistant stealing all access, stunning an officer and stealing his taser, handing all access to his suspiciously consistent roster of grey shirt friends and then ordering a meme shuttle has gone too far and needs to be put down .. well, I've made it pretty clear before that I think the game would be way better off if theoretical assistant ate a ban halfway through the list, and he certainly shouldnt be able to kill officers.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #373898

Messing with sec and being annoying is fine. Irreparably ruining the shift for them because you feel like they treated you poorly should be grounds for a ban. Honestly, sec would have been well within your rights to go ahead and gun you down at that point. Don't dish out what you can't take.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #374015

Just yesterday I was having a fun round as a flyman, minding my own bussiness drinking mutagen trying to get superpowers (with some backup mutadone the chemist made for me), I finally got invisibility along with mute and coughing after like 90u of mutagen and was happy with my results, I got arrested like 5 minutes later and I did not know why until a long time after through ahelp. From the start the officers and the warden just talked about executing since I was obviously a traitor, and pointed at my turning invisible, while ignoring all my emotes that suggested I was mute (in my bag I had some prime greytiding tools like beartraps, homemade soap, a hatchet and meds, but nothing pointing at actual antag status). The warden finally let me write on a paper, I typed out a nice and detailed story clarifying all the evidence they had against me (the genetic disabilities and conflicts I had been in and their resolution) but because of fucking coughing I dropped the pen and nothing went through, as the warden grew more impatient I just got to type "I have many disabilities, I drank mutagen" before she took the paper and read it; I ended up being released without any of my stuff(like my mutadone pill) but shot with and aids syringe after being told "I bet you'll reach medbay" I died a few steps from brig and got cloned. At this point my ahelp got answered and I was salty and shittalking through common, which led to me being hunted down by the warden and buckshotted and esworded, without me retaliating(I dropped a fire extinguisher I had on me) in an attempt to live. Apparently I was wanted for murder, which was weird since the only conflict I was in prior to my arrest was a brawl with the mime which ended when I critted him and healed him - he went afk as soon as he hit the floor and never came back, but I still got him back to 100% health. Obviously, either misinformation leading to validboner, or just validboner with bare minimum suspicion took place. I didn't get to see how my ahelp ended because real life circumstances forced me to leave and the admin said there were many simultaneous tickets being handled at the same time and apologized for it taking so long.
Coming back on topic, what I mean to say is this is an actually good point to get a policy ruling on, since its definetly not the first time I (or anyone else)have had these situations and knowing how I should act as to not lose 30 minutes of playing at the least, or a ban at most.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #374052

at some point, as a tider, you have to let yourself be caught, otherwise you're unrobust and a dick player
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #376933

I was once given sunglasses by an assistant who hacked into the armory just to get them for me. As he was leaving through the brig access, with no one to see what occurred, a security officer arrived and witnessed him leaving the brig. He stunned the assistant wordlessly, after which I tried to explain that he didn't do anything but get a pair of sunglasses for me. Then the officer proceed to wordlessly stun me as well. I escaped, and tried to return to my job.

I tried to PDA the officer to defuse the situation, telling him that I simply wish to continue my work as a scientist without any trouble, following which he just responded with "the law is the law" and went out of his way to ask the AI to locate me and lock me in a xenobio cell. Of course, it tried that by asking me to enter one, which I didn't fall for. I ended up having to escape my own workplace, as the officer proceeded to chase me there.

After a skirmish in the hallways, me and the assistant finally got the officer cuffed. Knowing he wouldn't give up trying to hunt us down over trivialities, I proceeded to drag him towards the airlock, and throw him out. Then I was daybanned for that right away by Atlanta-ned.

I don't know how that story helps, or who was in the wrong here, but maybe that's just one example to consider.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #376939

And you were right to be banned for that. There were many ways you could've handled that without killing him.
Even if he was being less then stellar security over sunglasses. To be frank he probably had his reasons to continue pursuing you two based off other suspicions or something the assistant did out of your view. But i digress.

Throwing him out the airlock was not the way to go.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #376941

Pascal125 wrote:There were many ways you could've handled that without killing him.
Such as? Exactly how many security or command members do you think are inclined to listen to a wanted scientist pulling around a cuffed security officer? Exactly how many do you think would stun me on the spot?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #376945

Slignerd wrote:I was once given sunglasses by an assistant who hacked into the armory just to get them for me. As he was leaving through the brig access, with no one to see what occurred, a security officer arrived and witnessed him leaving the brig. He stunned the assistant wordlessly, after which I tried to explain that he didn't do anything but get a pair of sunglasses for me. Then the officer proceed to wordlessly stun me as well. I escaped, and tried to return to my job.

I tried to PDA the officer to defuse the situation, telling him that I simply wish to continue my work as a scientist without any trouble, following which he just responded with "the law is the law" and went out of his way to ask the AI to locate me and lock me in a xenobio cell. Of course, it tried that by asking me to enter one, which I didn't fall for. I ended up having to escape my own workplace, as the officer proceeded to chase me there.

After a skirmish in the hallways, me and the assistant finally got the officer cuffed. Knowing he wouldn't give up trying to hunt us down over trivialities, I proceeded to drag him towards the airlock, and throw him out. Then I was daybanned for that right away by Atlanta-ned.

I don't know how that story helps, or who was in the wrong here, but maybe that's just one example to consider.
Standard escalation applies, I think an execution would have been OK here at most but spacing the body goes a step beyond that because it also essentially hides the body
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #376951

>posting a 2 year old story in a thread thats been dead for 10 days
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #376952

Slignerd wrote:I was once given sunglasses by an assistant who hacked into the armory just to get them for me. As he was leaving through the brig access, with no one to see what occurred, a security officer arrived and witnessed him leaving the brig.
breaking into the armory makes you valid. This is like breaking into the captains quarters and using the excuse "no, see I just wanted his funny cape".
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #376980

EagleWiz wrote:
Slignerd wrote:I was once given sunglasses by an assistant who hacked into the armory just to get them for me. As he was leaving through the brig access, with no one to see what occurred, a security officer arrived and witnessed him leaving the brig.
breaking into the armory makes you valid. This is like breaking into the captains quarters and using the excuse "no, see I just wanted his funny cape".
basically this

you don't get to break into the fucking armory and act like it ain't no thing and security are being meaniepants when they come to dunk you for it so you have to kill them or they'll kill you, there's a word for doing things to provoke people into fighting you so you can kill them in "self defence", and even if you didn't personally break into the armory that assistant was valid as fuck and you were their accomplice which makes you valid as fuck as well
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #377036

Spacing a guy over sunglasses epic
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #377103

So in this situation, should a player just allow security to continue hunting them down, even if security persists after an attempt to defuse the situation? Is that everyone's stance here?
Cobby wrote:Spacing a guy over sunglasses epic
Spacing a guy over an undeniable possibility of being given a round ending sentence on charges of 'tresspassing', 'theft' and 'resisting arrest', perhaps even execution due to being "valid as fuck", a position that a player is put in over something as trivial as sunglasses.
Last edited by Slignerd on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #377104

Yes. Live out your days in hiding or, take one for the team, get arrested. Serve your sentence. And a-help it if it's absurd.
You'd be out in no time. You're acting like this guy was out to kill you from the start and thus you had to space him over what would've probably been a two minute sentence or nothing, once you'd explained yourself properly in the brig.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #377109

Pascal125 wrote:Live out your days in hiding or, take one for the team, get arrested. Serve your sentence. And a-help it if it's absurd.
That's the problem. My number one priority was to return to my job as a scientist, and have an enjoyable round in xenobio. If I'm forced not to be at my lab, or risk security or admins not being kind with me when it comes to absurd sentences, my round ends up effectively ruined. Especially if the admin also happens to think that I was "valid as fuck". Your solution robs me of any agency.
PKPenguin321 wrote:Standard escalation applies, I think an execution would have been OK here at most but spacing the body goes a step beyond that because it also essentially hides the body
I've had an officer handcuffed, screaming for help over the radio. Under these circumstances the only thing on my mind was getting out of that situation as swiftly as possible, and that does mean an airlock. After I threw the guy out, I did think using him for slime food would perhaps have been a more suitable way to deal with him, but that wouldn't handle the situation as cleanly.

Also, I've just remembered, I did try to explain the situation to the captain. He didn't give a fuuuuck. So let's try to think about how we should think along these lines - what should you do if there's absolutely no chance that you'd get your side heard out?
Last edited by Slignerd on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #377113

lol i remember the sunglasses thing. good times.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?