[POLL] New Name Policy

How strict should the naming standard be held to?

5 : Very strict: Bay Rules
2%
1%
1%
4 : Slightly edited Bay rules: What is currently proposed in this post
12%
8%
8%
3 : Middle of the line: Basically Bay rules but Nicknames and mononames are allowed
13%
3 : Middle of the line: Basically Bay rules but Nicknames and mononames are allowed
11%
11%
2 : Very relaxed: Basically anything but Nazi names
11%
8%
8%
1 : Anything goes
3%
3%
3%
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 311

Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

[POLL] New Name Policy

Post by Skorvold » #30986

Bottom post of the previous page:

Pick a normal name. You must have a first name and a last name (e.g John Smith). You must not use honorifics or nick names (E.g. Dr Greg House or Jack "Johnny" Johnson), and must be spelt fully with capitals and no shortenings (e.g. NOT J Hoffman or jaiden mallow). Exceptions to this are Eats-The-Lemons format of Lizard names, Clown, Mime, Silicon, Wizard and Nuke Op names. References are still allowed, but try to be original.
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Poll added at SoS's request. Added POLL subject tag
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: [POLL] New Name Policy

Post by paprika » #31513

MisterPerson wrote:I propose a compromise. All names must have a first and last name. Nicknames are allowed but only in quotation marks ie George "Griffon" Melons. The idea being that most people should just say the nickname but anyone who wants to be a dick can explicitly say the first name or "Mr./Mrs. Last". Think The Matrix where Agent Smith kept calling Neo "Mr. Anderson" just to piss him off.

I'm thinking the grey area is going to be names like Gunjar of Riverwood and Urist BeardBeard.
This.

Luck is hilarious but really the only people who even remember luck played basil/artyom which isn't the lifeblood of /tg/ so don't be delusional even if all the forum shitposters come from those servers. (like me!)

I used to play as 'paprika' but that was retarded and anyone who still plays as singular names is stupid as fuck. I've even seen Iteq switch to actual characters and roleplay, so he obviously enjoys it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #31540

I don't get the point of this, except to give admins another thing to police randomly. I mean, everyone knows something ridiculous like xXx_KillSlayer420_xXx isn't allowed, but who does it hurt when people have somewhat silly names or nicknames? In real life, some people have some pretty strange names, and there are monolithic names...

It's honestly not a huge deal either way, but it just seems like a policy that's going to have 'edge cases', and the people who are less liked by admins will get less leeway than others.

Also, I like how singular names used to be OK when paprika did it, but now that he/she/it doesn't, now anyone who still does it is retarded... You're still retarded paprika, don't worry...
TSB5
Byond Username: TSB5

Post by TSB5 » #31547

Mononames can be either iffy or brilliant, depending on the situation. I wouldn't mind them being handled on something like a case-by-case basis. I had a good run with Warren Lee Jones, before retiring him, but my favourite names are ones that can have both serious and amusing readings. Names like Mai Emerson are iconic, and I'm more than a little fond of my current Fleur Tyles.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #31556

Iconic? No, if there are going to be name rules, names like Mai Emerson and Fleur Tyles should be the first to go, they're much worse than an actually original nickname. Names like that might have been clever when SS13 was relatively new...
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31560

damiac wrote:Iconic? No, if there are going to be name rules, names like Mai Emerson and Fleur Tyles should be the first to go, they're much worse than an actually original nickname. Names like that might have been clever when SS13 was relatively new...
Fleur Tyles is actually kinda clever, and it's far less immersion-breaking than "Bobbys" the RD. Just imagine a couple of greytiders hooked up and had a kid.
Last edited by Psyentific on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31597

Psyentific wrote:
damiac wrote:Iconic? No, if there are going to be name rules, names like Mai Emerson and Fleur Tyles should be the first to go, they're much worse than an actually original nickname. Names like that might have been clever when SS13 was relatively new...
Fleur Tyles is actually kinda clever, and it's far less immersion-breaking than "Bobbys" the RD. Just imagine a couple of greytiders hooked up and had a kid.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #31605

Puns or mixups that sound like legitimate names if you don't get the puns are the best sorts of names.

I spent 15 minutes giggling the first time I saw Ham Barton, Security Officer. Fleur Tyles is also pretty good. Etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #31643

So everyone is in pretty good agreement about naming, except for mono/nicknames. The two options that are winning is the one that was recently put into effect with skorvold's post and basically the same thing but mononames and nicknames being allowed. There is also the idea of what misterperson said (see previous pages of this thread) to take into consideration.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #31651

I don't even give a fuck about mono-names, but all the "It's an ancient Inuit custom guyze to have only one name guyze it's totally legit when I name my character Fuckler" fake rationalization crap in this and other threads makes me want them banned entirely. If you don't use it to RP, you don't get to use it to argue because you're essentially grasping around your ass for whatever you can pull out.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31669

damiac wrote:Also, I like how singular names used to be OK when paprika did it, but now that he/she/it doesn't, now anyone who still does it is retarded... You're still retarded paprika, don't worry...
I was a new player. I had a singular name before Luck, even. I figured hey, if the admins never bothered me about it, I could just have a joke anime reference and never have to actually do any roleplay or play a character ever. That was dumb. The fact that I have two real characters now (even if they're both kind of jokes in their own right) means I've developed as a player since like, two years ago. I still do stupid shit, even the most seasoned of players do stupid shit, but making stupid one-name characters 'because I can!!!' isn't one of those things.

TL;DR: It was never okay, I never said it was okay, I said it was mostly harmless but it does ruin immersion. I've never once seen iteq actually roleplay as luck, outside of jokes, which is depressing as fuck because I know he just can't be fucked even though he has the capacity to roleplay at least in some light capacity.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #31869

i dont really think people with mononamed characters seriously think "im doing it because i can, FUCK THE SYSTEM IM SO COOL"
like really, its just a name. mononames and nicknames are fun and unique and they dont really hurt anything. its not like people with those names are shit because they have a weird name, its because theyre shit. should we ban asian names because there is a correlation between asian names and greytiding? like seriously, thats the logic youre using.
"my imurhsungsssssss" is also a stupid argument because they vary from player to player, and like others have said, not only is the 26th century a setting far beyond our cultural comprehension, but also, policing names for the sake of "rp" is seriously inconsistent. the rules for roleplaying are basically "dont be meta and at least pretend to be a character". we're not bay, its not like /tg/ prides itself on quality roleplay; it simply doesnt happen, and thats not what the server is for. its a midpoint between 2 drastically different playstyles. /tg/ is a much sillier environment than other rp-oriented servers. a lot of the things that happen on a roundly basis totally disregard any notion of proper rp, yet we skip over those things in favor of policing names, why? because it helps promote rp? names are not the first place where change needs to happen if thats your goal.
i get that its a roleplaying game being played by "people from a roleplaying community" but thats absolute horseshit. SS13 is a roleplaying game, yes. but i doubt that even 20% of the active population on /tg/station even regularly goes to /tg/ itself, let alone found the server through it. the /tg/ in /tg/station is pretty much in title only.
i dont want to have to say "gb2bay" but really, if people having names like "luck" "nill" "old man robustin" etc bothers you, you have no place here. youre not going to find super-deep roleplay here. honestly, i enjoy going to bay, i think its fun, but i also realize that its an entirely different server than /tg/ and that is the go-to place if you want to rp. NOT /tg/.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31870

Hot damn, that was a ramble.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
miggles

Post by miggles » #31873

yeah and i would like to hear your response considering youre one of the main proponents of this rule change
Saegrimr

Re: New Name Policy

Post by Saegrimr » #31877

Saegrimr wrote:I don't think first AND last name is much of a problem (eg. Jimothy), but when you get names that are little more than jumbles of words, some sort of codename, or a new rap artist.

I'm not asking you to be "Bob Smith", just put some more creativity into something that sounds like a name or a snarky mutation of a name.
This is why I rename these people "Terry Bulname", because its a terrible name, its surprisingly close to an actual name, and it shows that you don't need to be John Johnson #43.
Saegrimr wrote:Considering one of our long time players is "Old Man Robustin", i'm not entirely against nicknames in moderation as long as theres something that can be used as a formal name with it.
From what little I skimmed through of that wall, you mean something like this as a response?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
miggles

Post by miggles » #31883

i mean just read it and respond to it, its not that long, cmon dude

also i disagree with those statements you quoted of yourself. changing people's names (unless theyre nazi names etc) is really dumb. youre forcing your flavor of rp on them, regardless of whether they were actually roleplaying, and regardless of if that roleplay actually fit with their name. there are people who take their "silly" names seriously and actually mean something with them other than "lol im gonna name myself dicks mcbutts and see how fast the admins get mad at me"
and the formality thing is just laughable because there is never a need to be formal, like, ever. there are no high class ballroom dances or wine mixers, its literally just a station where people do their job and die a lot. even the captain isnt always formal, because he has the right to do whatever he wants on his station. unless you intend to enforce serious captains too in which case you really should go somewhere else instead of trying to drastically change a server that has been fairly consistent for a long time
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #31889

I was also one of the people who pushed for the new name policy in Adminbus and I was the one who brought it up. I disagree with a lot of what you stated miggles. Saying nicknames are fine just because "Lol 26th century, names can be whatever" and "this isn't promoting roleplay, police it some other way because names don't do shit" are flimsy reasons at best. SS13 is a roleplaying game and saying that anyone who actually wants to roleplay should just fuck off to bay and ignore tg because tg is the "Gameplay" server is really dumb in my eyes.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #31893

miggles wrote:youre forcing your flavor of rp on them, regardless of whether they were actually roleplaying, and regardless of if that roleplay actually fit with their name. there are people who take their "silly" names seriously and actually mean something with them other than "lol im gonna name myself dicks mcbutts and see how fast the admins get mad at me"
It doesn't matter why they named themselves Dick McButts, i'm going to change it for them.
miggles wrote:and the formality thing is just laughable because there is never a need to be formal, like, ever. there are no high class ballroom dances or wine mixers, its literally just a station where people do their job and die a lot.
I think you're exaggerating my use of the word formal.

The point i'm making is someone named "Old Man" vs. "Old Man Robustin".
Clearly his name is "Robustin" and will be referred to as such.
miggles

Post by miggles » #31909

rp is not a reason when you do jack shit to enforce rp other than ruining peoples fun names
shit like "dick mcbutts" IS bad. its ALREADY against the rules. you dont need more than that.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31937

miggles wrote:mononames and nicknames are fun and unique and they dont really hurt anything.
So it's better that they do it to be attention whores? Epic!
miggles

Post by miggles » #31948

once again sweeping generalizations that dont actually hold value
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #31953

You are litterly generalizing the entire server playstyle of tg miggles.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31955

You might find this is pretty common with miggles
miggles

Post by miggles » #31957

except the difference is im not wrong
RP happens. I RP. not everyone does. its not enforced, and its barely a part of the rules, and when i play the game, i actually see that what im saying is correct. holding everyone to a higher standard of RP wont really benefit anyone because the people who already do wont care and the ones that dont already dont care.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31959

Where am I wrong in saying there's pretty much no reason to have monocular names at all, you have yet to provide a solid reason or an example of someone with a monocular name that didn't use it to be a giant faggot
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #31960

I see litterly no point in arguing with you on this point miggles. The policy was pretty supported, I doubt a change will happen regardless.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #32019

miggles wrote:the ones that dont already dont care.
get rid of them
ex-nox pls go

/tg/station is an RP server from an RP community. A lot of our core playerbase like to RP in the off times, and try to maintain some degree of RP when they aren't too busy robusting. It just so happens that most of us aren't stereotypically autistic about pretending to be 2d spessmens. That said, if you can't even pay lip service to roleplay, you've got no place here.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #32097

That's exactly the point he's making though. Enforcing 'realistic names' is all fine and dandy, but should be secondary to actual realistic behavior.

Like seriously it makes no sense that you won't to force people to follow a specific standard of names, but are fine with the same people playing in a completely non rp way.
I can be shot/stabbed/bludgeoned repeatedly, be facing alien monsters of paramilitary operatives, and ran at them an extinguisher with zero regard for my life. I can have detailed knowledge of all the workings of the station and every possible threat to it, but I can't have a non serious name?

I mean really, I only have a mononame because I don't what to change they character I've already established, if I was starting again I would have a proper name. But enforcing naming policy like this before actual behavior is putting the wagon before the horse.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #32116

Basically, yes. You can have no regard for your life and still be properly named. Your stating that the only roleplay that can happen is ignorance of knowledge. This is not true, it is just an aspect of roleplaying.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32175

I thought we were supposed to be middle of the road, why are you suggesting that we should either be all-in on RP or have no aspect of RP at all?
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #32187

We are middle of the road in terms of roleplaying but its debatable on where naming falls on that and which direction it should lean.
miggles

Post by miggles » #32235

it shouldnt lean in either direction. it should be middle of the road, like everything else. nothing too retarded, but silly names are allowed. as it has been for years.
why are we changing this?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #32293

NikNakFlak wrote:Basically, yes. You can have no regard for your life and still be properly named. Your stating that the only roleplay that can happen is ignorance of knowledge. This is not true, it is just an aspect of roleplaying.
That's just an example of highly unbelievable (when it happens to every person every round etc) behavior, that is clearly throwing rp out the window.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I thought we were supposed to be middle of the road, why are you suggesting that we should either be all-in on RP or have no aspect of RP at all?
I'm not, I'm saying that if we want to enforce more rp, it seems far more logical to start with what people actually do IC. IE: Someone with a non rp name can still rp, which positively benefits other/the server, whilst someone with a forced rp name can still completely throw rp out the window.

Basically, names have less impact then player actions/behavior, so are less important to worry about, in my opinion.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #32371

miggles wrote:it shouldnt lean in either direction. it should be middle of the road, like everything else. nothing too retarded, but silly names are allowed. as it has been for years.
We've had asimov as default lawset for years. We've had an0n3 as an admin for years. That argument sucks ass.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #32381

paprika wrote:
miggles wrote:it shouldnt lean in either direction. it should be middle of the road, like everything else. nothing too retarded, but silly names are allowed. as it has been for years.
We've had asimov as default lawset for years. We've had an0n3 as an admin for years. That argument sucks ass.
Wow whoa. Parprika baby come on don't talk about me like that in front of the kids.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #32426

I'd second this. I mean, even the vote of the poll shows how middle of the road the community thinks we are. It's literately the middle option winning. I also think it be sad to loose the ability to use nicknames.
People do use to good effect and why should the misuse of a few individuals spoil everyone else fun? That alone is the essence of our rule 1. The fun of many outweighs the mischief of the individual.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #32428

Edit: I'm a gigantic asshole.
Last edited by Saegrimr on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #32438

I may be biased, as someone who plays a nicknamed character (under MrP's naming scheme, he'd be named M. "Sedge" Nisc), but I don't see what's so bad about them.
People often use nicknames to the point where it effectively replaces their actual name -- Nobody refers to the 42nd US president as "William Jefferson Clinton".

I agree that honorifics and job-related names can be out of place, but I however do know someone who goes by "Doc" despite never being a doctor (It's apparently short for Doctor Love. Yeah, he's a scumbag).
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #32439

I knew a man that went by the name dribble. I didn't know his real name for at least 3 years.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32456

An0n3 wrote:
paprika wrote:
Wow whoa. Parprika baby come on don't talk about me like that in front of the kids.
No ointment can remove that burn.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #32475

peoplearestrange wrote:I knew a man that went by the name dribble. I didn't know his real name for at least 3 years.
Dale Gribble
miggles

Post by miggles » #32491

paprika wrote:
except both of those things are good so good job making yourself look like a retard?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #32519

miggles wrote:
paprika wrote:
except both of those things are good so good job making yourself look like a retard?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #32528

miggles wrote:
paprika wrote:
C'mon miggles, you have to at least TRY and not be fucking retarded.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #32531

Psyentific wrote:
miggles wrote:
paprika wrote:
C'mon miggles, you have to at least TRY and not be fucking retarded.
Miggles, invalidating another person's point because your opinion on an irrelevant example dissents from theirs isn't a good way to earn friends.
We've had (insert admin name here) for years.
We've had (insert least liked game mode here) for years.
We've had (insert terrible policy here) for years.
We've had (insert terrible job here) for years.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles

Post by miggles » #32543

i dont really want to be friends with any of those people

and regardless, paprikas argument was also based on opinion, and not really a good point either. any example you can use will have SOMEONE who disagrees with your opinion.
"weve had it for years" and "why does it need to be changed" are separate statements and one of them is more important than the other, can you guess which one? i want to know what the actual reason anyone feels this change is necessary is, because 1. i personally think its a stupid idea and 2. it doesnt really fit with the foundation of the server. we dont enforce roleplay, fullstop. we dont do it anywhere else, and it would be contradictory (and outright stupid) to do it here.
Last edited by miggles on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #32549

But hey I mean we can still all agree that I'm great right guys?

Right?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles

Post by miggles » #32551

all hail anyone 5
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #32841

miggles wrote:
paprika wrote:
They were both jokes you don't need to get so fucking bum blistered over arguments on the forums miggles. God damn dude.

We don't enforce roleplay but we encourage it. Having a code restriction (forcing people to have surnames) is a perfect example of encouraging roleplay. Banning people for having 'Hitler McRacewar' as their name is enforcement, and we already do that, so you're wrong on both accounts.

And I shouldn't have to mention all the other code restrictions we have that encourage roleplay. Look at baystation, and their slow movement speed, click delay, etc. All of these things encourage roleplay instead of outright enforcing it. Rules and administration, as well as policies enforce roleplay.

Wanting people to have surnames would be a code restriction and a roleplay encouragement, not an enforcement. But this thread is about enforcing roleplay names, and naming policies, of which there already exist some, so why are you cunting about 'MUH MONONAMES! MUH ROLEPLAY ENFORCEMENT!' when those things aren't even fucking related?
miggles

Post by miggles » #32857

do you not see the correlation between a characters name and roleplay, because theyre pretty fucking related
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #32936

The problem is, like I said before, the REAL WORLD is full of silly and stupid names.

If I show up in the game named Dick Trickle with this new policy it's likely someone would PM or bwoink that person and ask them to stop using that name.

Because it's "bad roleplay"? Because SS13 exists in a world where no parents ever goofed or someone's name sounds silly when spoked in another language?

Last night there was someone running around who named themselves "Blowjob Clown" and they got bwoinked because they fucking deserved it. That's a blatant strata of yo-what-the-fuck-are-you-even-doing.

But if I want to name myself Shabadoo McSlamdunk, or Hugh Jass, or just "Scruffy", you can't immediately discount that as bad roleplay because you don't like it.

"Ol' Scruffy thinks you're just banning things you don't like, and aren't actually trying to encourage roleplay."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #32944

My lizard character has many S's in it, is that not allowed?