Admins pressing buttons in rounds they are/were playing

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Admins pressing buttons in rounds they are/were playing

Post by bandit » #375949

Bottom post of the previous page:

In this clusterfuck of a thread: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 23&t=15126

some admins/headmins indicated they would be OK with a policy preventing admins from pressing buttons in rounds they're active in or were active in (if they died, etc). However the thread is a clusterfuck and this is really more of a policy discussion topic. As far as I can tell the suggestions were:

- Admins can't press buttons at all in rounds they were involved in
- Admins can press buttons but only after 30 minutes have passed since they died/left the round
- Admins can press buttons as they see fit as long as it isn't obviously to benefit themselves/get revenge/otherwise abuse shit
- Admins shouldn't admin and play the same round at all (I don't think anyone actually wants this, but it's another possibility)

For the record, I'm in favor of there being some sort of set policy on this so in future threads might have less of a chance of turning into massive clusterfucks. I really don't care either way what it is, but it's caused confusion among admins/trialmins in the past.

(also please don't turn this thread into a place to re-litigate the admin complaint, this is about the policy suggestions brought up)
Last edited by bandit on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Re: Admins pressing buttons in rounds they are/were playing

Post by Floiven » #376872

RandomMarine wrote:
Floiven wrote:I think of admins doing things like this from a Dungeon Master perspective: it's important for them to keep the round moving along, and throwing a wrench (that doesn't just screw over the antag of course) in their plans to mix it up is welcome. Heck, having an announcement that says you basically need meteors to be flung at the station to stop you at this point pretty much cedes that point that you've "won" the round (if that's what you're going for as antag).
Rocks fall, everyone dies isn't exactly good dungeon master practice.
I'd argue that it can be, if it's essentially the end of the round, and it's framed as a last-ditch effort to get this one guy that kicked the ass of the rest of the station, one last seemingly desperate attempt to bring this guy down, and a final opportunity for them to make it out alive. If I was the wizard in this case, I'd be looking at this as a "Oh yeah, bring it on Centcom! OH GOD SHIT'S GETTING REAL, THIS IS AWESOME." sorta way, but I do admit I'm more of a go with what happens and try and play along kinda person. Maybe reserve these sorta things for people that you know are gonna roll with the punches and have fun with it, this of course leads back to this being a case-by-case basis sorta thing, not really needed a concrete rule in place.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #376898

Cobby wrote:
Brotemis wrote:I'm sure I've been guilty of this before but this thread should serve as a reminder as to why it's not the best idea.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1132
The elephant in the room, at least in regards to recent events, is that Sticky has had a history of doing similar situations (regardless of the validity of each individual one) so people are more apt to look at his "events" as such.
I will repeat, for the millionth time, that in the case of the linked thread, all sticky did was receive the benefit of other admin actions, and answer a trialmin's question of what path to find something under.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #376915

This isn't to complain about sticky in the least. I will point out in this case he was killed in the round and used the rudimentary transformation action to turn himself from a ghost back into a human to reinsert himself into the round.

The best judgement wasn't used and if you trust administration to make the best judgement of a situation, then that's all that need be said. I believe sticky when he says they're in a much better situation than we were before with administration burnout