'Perma'bans

Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

'Perma'bans

Post by Psyentific » #32043

How long, exactly, is a permaban? I'm seeing appeals floating up from bans made in 2012 and 2013, and we're coming onto the end of 2014 right now.

Are permabans actually permanent, that is, until successfully appealed?

If so, why not institute some sort of automagic second-chance policy? For example, on Jan. 1 of every year, all permabans made before Nov 1. of the previous year are removed. Most people will either get themselves re-banned in short order or fade into the background.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: 'Perma'bans

Post by Steelpoint » #32044

Permabans seem to be more of a time out period, and less of a permanent exclusion from the server.

You would have to go out of your way to be permanently removed from the server, afaik.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #32046

Permabans are basically "Come back when you're willing to not be shit" or "Show us you read the rules" bans.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #32048

More of a "You can stay gone untill you can give a good enough explanation to why you were being a turd, or enough time has passed that you think you've grown up a bit and can handle not being a turd again."
Its why logging out when being bwoinked even for things that aren't that bad will net you a "temporary permaban". Don't want to explain it to us in-game? You can explain on the forum then.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #32050

Psyentific wrote:Are permabans actually permanent, that is, until successfully appealed?
Yes, but as Steelpoint said, it's just a ban for an indefinite period of time; there's an actual blacklist of players to never unban however you'd never get onto it unless you were trying to.
Psyentific wrote:If so, why not institute some sort of automagic second-chance policy? For example, on Jan. 1 of every year, all permabans made before Nov 1. of the previous year are removed. Most people will either get themselves re-banned in short order or fade into the background.
At the beginning of this year there was in fact a "new year's unbanning" in which almost everyone's active bans got lifted so you've already been through this before. I've no clue if another such event is planned to occur again at the end of this year.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #32064

There's like 2 people on the never ever ever coming back list and I'm pretty sure one of them was terbs and not tonto, take from that what you will
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #32101

There's a dude I banned years ago who did an elaborate kidnapping and raping (I'd say forced ERP, but the 'roleplaying' was very much a one sided rape one) who is absolutely never coming back.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #32380

Depends on what they were banned for.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #32382

Permaban is just a concise way of saying "ban that doesn't expire". Don't get caught up in semantics.

It's not a "ban that should never ever be removed except in certain special circumstances lest we devalue the gravity of its name".
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #33691

An0n3 wrote:Permaban is just a concise way of saying "ban that doesn't expire". Don't get caught up in semantics.

It's not a "ban that should never ever be removed except in certain special circumstances lest we devalue the gravity of its name".
In practice it means " Ban that's not supposed to get removed, except if you kneel, admit you were wrong and beg for mercy "
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #33731

>permabans
>perma
>bans
>PERMA

I was thinking, to increase the immersions, what if permabanned players, who are only banned for things other than ERP rape and 4no raisin murder, could spawn in perma at roundstart. And in the security records, they are imprisoned for 'Acts treasonous to the Nanotrasen corporation' and their sentence is 'Life sentence in brig with no paroll'.
Or maybe to players with minor bans. And they are valid.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #33749

Fragnostic wrote:>permabans
>perma
>bans
>PERMA

I was thinking, to increase the immersions, what if permabanned players, who are only banned for things other than ERP rape and 4no raisin murder, could spawn in perma at roundstart. And in the security records, they are imprisoned for 'Acts treasonous to the Nanotrasen corporation' and their sentence is 'Life sentence in brig with no paroll'.
Or maybe to players with minor bans. And they are valid.
I was thinking the same thing but instead of perma make them spawn in the gulag with a high point requirement.
/vg/station Head Admin
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #33777

That sounds like a neat job choice.

Guaranteed antag but nothing but your valids and wits to get you out of perma.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #33783

...Why isn't someone making this right now

...Why is it not me.

Well prisoners would likely fight each other to the death unless we had a rule about them doing that right off the bat and something would have to make them a fun thing to roleplay like a heavily expanded gulag that actually makes important shit for the station.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #33787

Yeah sure, let players who were already banned for their shitty behaviour spawn in a role where their only purpose is to stir shit for Security and break out of the prison.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #33851

paprika wrote:...Why isn't someone making this right now

...Why is it not me.

Well prisoners would likely fight each other to the death unless we had a rule about them doing that right off the bat and something would have to make them a fun thing to roleplay like a heavily expanded gulag that actually makes important shit for the station.
I swear, we were making this expanded Gulag. I don't know if the idea just died or what, ask Steelpoint I guess.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #33864

I did finish my new gulag design. I just kinda did nothing with it.

I also thought against using Hivebots. While cool it kinda does clutter up things with a large amount of them.

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread if interested - http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=712
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #33883

Stickymayhem wrote:That sounds like a neat job choice.

Just make "Lifer" a starting job and keep shitters out of the game.

I know myself and others have done something like this as a low impact admin-event. Create a Command Report that a high-threat prisoner is being transported to the station for temporary safekeeping, have a Centom officer arrive dragging a prisoner that is given antag status but no crystals or resources, and quickly transported to the permabrig.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #33919

PERMANIA IS STRONG!
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #34038

An0n3 wrote:

I know myself and others have done something like this as a low impact admin-event. Create a Command Report that a high-threat prisoner is being transported to the station for temporary safekeeping, have a Centom officer arrive dragging a prisoner that is given antag status but no crystals or resources, and quickly transported to the permabrig.
Convert all permabans to jobbans from everything except "Lifer". Give Lifers antag status, and their own dedicated, self-sufficient*, off-station gulag. Guaranteed antag status, but you're locked up with whatever other Lifers happen to be around. Security deposits people in by shuttle, landing dock, then into the prison area proper by disposal chute.

* 'Food' consists of boiled cabbage, soybeans and potatoes. Hidden stashes of tobacco, ambrosia, tower cap wood, and replica pods.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #34928

Psyentific wrote:
An0n3 wrote:

Convert all permabans to jobbans from everything except "Lifer". Give Lifers antag status, and their own dedicated, self-sufficient*, off-station gulag. Guaranteed antag status, but you're locked up with whatever other Lifers happen to be around. Security deposits people in by shuttle, landing dock, then into the prison area proper by disposal chute.

* 'Food' consists of boiled cabbage, soybeans and potatoes. Hidden stashes of tobacco, ambrosia, tower cap wood, and replica pods.
Add in the ability to make prison wine and we are good.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #37842

Honestly, anyone who can't be bothered to get onto a forum and say "Sorry I did x, it was wrong for these reasons and I understand that now and I wont do it again" shouldn't be allowed back. I hope there isn't a real push to let these shitters back in any form.

It takes a LOT of bad behavior to get perma banned here.
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #40175

Perma bans are generally, as I use them, reserved for people who just come to griff and give people a hard time, or for those who have a rather extensive (negative) history and don't change...