netspeak and admin disagreements

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

netspeak and admin disagreements

Post by CitrusGender » #379594

yeah this is dumb

the fact that I am making this thread is dumb but there is disagreement among admins. If you've been around here long enough and you have a precedent, please post it so this thread can be ended immediately.

Can you say shit like "lol, wtf, kek" ingame?

Personally, I see the first two as bad but the last as okay due to the fact that it is a sound.

Again, if anyone can remember a ruling previously by admins, that would be appreciated so we can lock this thread immediately.
scrubs2009
Byond Username: Scrubs2009

Re: netspeak and admin disagreements

Post by scrubs2009 » #379596

I'm of the opinion that saying "lol" is ok considering it's possible to say with your mouth and people sometimes say it. Those people are cunts but still people.

On the other hand saying things that the human mouth can't pronounce like "XD" is not ok.

Of course if someone makes a gimmick of speaking like an asshole "Lol teh clowne fel on his ass lmao" then bwoink them. If someone just says "lol" in response to something funny than I'm inclined to leave them alone
Thanks, Kev.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #379597

We have had people doing 'kek' for years (namely one particular catgirl admin) without any repercussions. I don't see the harm in the word. You can say "kek" aloud and it's not actually an acronym for anything (other then being a translation for an acronym but I feel as if the word has been transformed since then)
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #379598

when i was an admin i would bwoink people for netspeak ic and i will continue to ahelp netspeak ic when i see it

unless it's like, you know, someone spelling it phonetically (eg. "tee bee aych") because then it's pretty clearly supposed to be played for laughs

kek is a bit of a grey area but it makes you look less intelligent either way
Limey wrote:its too late.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #379600

Saying wtf is not good in my opinion. If you said 'double u tee eff' then yes or spell it out like 'w-t-f'
I don't really know about lol if saying l-o-l is same as saying lol in real life.
Saying kek is fine imo.

When it comes to abductors, I feel they should be allowed to say 'ayy lmao' however I'm probably biased when it comes to this.
scrubs2009
Byond Username: Scrubs2009

Post by scrubs2009 » #379601

Well I think that lol can be read as "l-o-l"

The work OK is read as "o-k" and not "Ock"
Thanks, Kev.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #379602

> you can get noted, aka have something used against you to get/keep you banned, because you didn't put hyphens on your lol or didn't say el oh el
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #379603

Kek is fine. It's by now ingrained in ss13 culture as a natural response to many things. It's just a sound and not an acronym.

Any other netspeak is stupid and personally I do not like it and prefer it if people didn't use it.

Though this is so trivial it's no mountain I wish to die on.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #379604

Ayy Lemoh wrote:When it comes to abductors, I feel they should be allowed to say 'ayy lmao' however I'm probably biased when it comes to this.
this probably falls under the unwritten rule of "if it makes an admin laugh you'll probably get away with it", but it's also a 50/50 chance that an admin will think ayy lmao is funny so yeah
scrubs2009 wrote:Well I think that lol can be read as "l-o-l"

The work OK is read as "o-k" and not "Ock"
"lol" is bad because it implies that netspeak is ok

if you're some new player and you see a dude saying "lol" it reinforces the notion that you aren't even supposed to try and RP

"el oh el" or similar is still you saying "lol" but it makes it slightly less obnoxiously OOC imo
Cobby wrote:> you can get noted, aka have something used against you to get/keep you banned, because you didn't put hyphens on your lol or didn't say el oh el
if you have a history of ooc in ic then why would it not be used against you
Limey wrote:its too late.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #379605

if it's netspeak don't do it

doesn't get much more crazy than that

no lols no lmaos, we shouldn't be bordering on what we think is cool and what we don't because that makes our team of volunteers even more inconsistent

i could live with kek if people would really drop dead over some really old world of warcraft thing but like i said, if we're ok with some netspeak and not ok with others it makes chatting like an idiot a lottery instead of a do or don't
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #379607

scrubs2009 wrote:The work OK is read as "o-k" and not "Ock"
I think saying 'ok' is fine. I wouldn't even care about someone just saying 'ok' if I saw it, to be honest.

To be honest, only exception i can think of where netspeak would be okay is if you're getting killed by something like a rev and your only hope/last possible action is 'its rev' or 'help rev'

Also I saw qbopper's post and made my mind now. 'lol' is bad. It's either 'el oh el' or nothing.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #379608

Armhulen wrote:if it's netspeak don't do it

doesn't get much more crazy than that

no lols no lmaos, we shouldn't be bordering on what we think is cool and what we don't because that makes our team of volunteers even more inconsistent

i could live with kek if people would really drop dead over some really old world of warcraft thing but like i said, if we're ok with some netspeak and not ok with others it makes chatting like an idiot a lottery instead of a do or don't
If this is official then we should add it to the rules page
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #379609

i still can't edit the rules page but it should be there
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #379610

None of those are okay

I know our roleplay standards are not very high but the bare minimum should be refraining from using contemporary highschool internet slang as a scientist 200 years in the future
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #379612

jesus