Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Proposed rules rewrite

Post by oranges » #379620

Suggested rules rewrite

Let me know what you think

Primary Policies
0. Admins may disregard any of these rules at their discretion when they feel its in the best interest of the current round/server/playerbase at large. They will, of course, be fully accountable for their actions should they choose to exercise this privilege.

1.We’re all here to have a good time. If you’re intentionally trying to ruin everyone else’s good time, you won’t have a place here. Being a jerk in-character is fine to a point, but being a jerk out of character is not welcome at all.

2. You are playing a game where you are not fully in control of everything. You will be put into situations beyond your control, which will result in some rounds being ruined for you. Grow up and deal with it. However, if you are obviously griefed, be sure to report it to administrators by using the ‘adminhelp’ verb.

3. This is a roleplaying game. The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Being an asshole, who ruins other player’s roleplay experience, just to win, is considered a ‘play-to-win’ style of playing. You can and will be banned for this playstyle. Be considerate of other players’ experience.

4. IC information should be kept out of OOC channels and vice-versa.

5. Don’t metagame. Do not ever use information, acquired out of character or through patterns or events your character would not be able to know, in game, also abusing bugs is bannable, please report them for everyone's benefit.

6. If you take up or are given a job, which is important for game progression (head of staff, AI, antagonist role), make sure you actually do that job. If you find yourself unable to do this due to real life circumstances, just let an admin know (adminhelp) before you leave, please.

7. Speak like a normal person while in character. Don’t spam, either IC or OOC. Don’t use smileys, netspeak, etc. in IC speech.

8. No Creepy or sexual shit.

9. Ingame administration has the final say in all ingame matters. If problems arise, you can report offending or abusive admins on the forums. If an admin says something was valid, it means it was valid. This is the admin’s way of saying it’s been investigated and found to not breaking any rules; The admin will not reveal ingame information.

10. It should go without saying, but if you break the rules (or regularly come very close to breaking them i.e. “toeing the line”), you will be warned, muted, banned, or talked about rudely.

Additional Policies
Roleplay
Murder is justifiable as long as it was properly escalated. You can’t go from a single rude punch to a knife in the neck. You can, however, go from a single punch to a counter punch to a brawl to using weapons, and so on. Other IC justifications may exist for murder, but these are on a case by case basis. Minor aggravations like demotions, pranks, insults, or thefts are not adequate justification.

IC in OOC can be a no warning ban of 15 minutes, it can be longer if the IC in OOC is severe. To clarify, this is revealing anything about the current round that others can use in the OOC channel. If you are unsure do not say it.

Avoid using non character names. If you have a very offensive name or an obviously immersion breaking moniker like 'xenohunter360' you will be asked to change it.

As long as there is adequate IC backing and it doesn’t happen too often, assisting a traitor is within the rules.

Admins are not only allowed to run events or otherwise influence the course of rounds, they are encouraged to. They are as much GMs as they are enforcers of the rules, perhaps even moreso.

Persistent character relationships are acceptable, so long as they’re roleplayed out every round. Wordlessly
assisting your OOC friends (or harming your OOC foes) ICly is NOT cool and will be addressed harshly. Roleplaying out your interactions will help you stay on the right side of the rules. How much or how little of previous “shifts” your character recalls is up to their discretion, with the caveat that being a known traitor doesn’t persist past the round it occurred in.

Griefing on the shuttle can also be a no warning ban scaling up from 15 minutes. Shuttle griefing is attacking people or preventing people boarding before the shuttle has launched for no IC reason.

Silicons

All Silicons are expected to follow their laws to the best of their ability. Failure to do so will likely result in a job ban from all silicon positions.

Law order determines law priority. In the case of two laws contradicting, the one with the smaller law number wins.

Asimov silicons are not required to do what players who threaten self-harm demand, unless they choose to interpret law 1 to include that.

Command/Security

Security are expected to use non-lethal force when defending against non-lethal attacks. This of course also means that security are allowed the option to use lethal force when defending against lethal attacks. Getting stunned in a dark maintenance hallway by an assistant is potentially lethal - a clown slipping you outside Medbay, probably not.

Permabrigging is functionally the same as murder. Anyone who is valid for execution is valid for permabrigging. Anyone who is not justifiably executable is, likewise, not justifiably a candidate for permabrigging. Makeshift permabrigs are treated the same as the official permabrig in terms of rules-enforcement.

A Captain or acting Captain may execute criminals, traitors, and other known threats to the station should alternatives not prove sufficient. Abuse or misuse of this privilege can lead to job banning or worse.
Theft, assault, annoyance, false arrest, sentence times etc. are in character matters. Unless it is extremely excessive or griefy, it is not an admin matter.

Admin-help

When you adminhelp do not say things like 'is it valid?' or 'being griefed', give details of what is happening and ideally who is doing it, job and character name.

If you see someone doing something that seems out of line adminhelp right then, do not wait until round end to see if they are a traitor then adminhelp next round. It makes it a lot harder to deal with.

Do not lie in PM's and avoid being aggressive, unhelpful or insulting to admins, lying while being questioned over an incident will cause you to receive a longer ban and being consistently insulting or aggressive will get you muted.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Re: Proposed rules rewrite

Post by RandomMarine » #379628

Did you just copypaste this from the oldest available revision on the wiki?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #379631

RandomMarine wrote:Did you just copypaste this from the oldest available revision on the wiki?
not a bad idea
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #379634

Kind of sad how the current rules don't even discourage play2win behavior.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #379638

+1
maybe i'm dumb and skipped it but please include a " do not say wtf/tbh/other forms of netspeak and any emoticons and stay in character". yes, it's included in the this is a roleplaying game thing, but sometimes it just isn't clear enough for people.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #379639

Rule 7, Kev.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #379641

I miss these rules and I regret supporting the bureaucratic mess it became
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #379666

the simplification of silicon policy alone is worth this re-write. Silicons feel like they have more rules than a high RP server sometimes.

Also the play2win moratorium will need to actually be enforced, I mean, it is technically against the rules NOW isnt it?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #379681

play2win sounds good on paper but it's so case by case you may as well use rule 1

and the term roleplaying should never ever enter the rules because not enough people ever exist in the /tg/ community that know it's correct definition.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #379683

imblyings wrote:and the term roleplaying should never ever enter the rules because not enough people ever exist in the /tg/ community that know it's correct definition.
There is literally a minority of people here. Who believe that SS13/TGstation is a No-RP server, has always been a No-RP server, Is not a Roleplaying game, has never been a Roleplaying game. And should never try to be one.

They like to quote the absence of any references, or lack of substantial references to "Roleplay" in the rules or anything to support this claim.

That said, i personally agree with Oranges propositions, tbh. It looks pretty nice.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #379687

literally half the game's screen is a textbox for describing your actions and the actions of those around you

really makes you think
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #379689

I love these.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #379692

Rules against play2win will never make sense as long as the "antags can kill anyone fnr" rule is intact.

Not to mention giant team modes like the cults and rev.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #379693

Pascal125 wrote:
imblyings wrote:and the term roleplaying should never ever enter the rules because not enough people ever exist in the /tg/ community that know it's correct definition.
There is literally a minority of people here. Who believe that SS13/TGstation is a No-RP server, has always been a No-RP server, Is not a Roleplaying game, has never been a Roleplaying game. And should never try to be one.

They like to quote the absence of any references, or lack of substantial references to "Roleplay" in the rules or anything to support this claim.

That said, i personally agree with Oranges propositions, tbh. It looks pretty nice.
rule 0/1 exists and we shouldn't give attention to those people in the first place also kor ninja
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #379694

Is there really a need to overhaul all the rules that have been ammended and changed for, what I would hope, would be good reason over time?

I don't see the reason to change them.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #379696

CitrusGender wrote:Is there really a need to overhaul all the rules that have been ammended and changed for, what I would hope, would be good reason over time?

Logically, the proposition that the current rules are fine is not really self-defending. Policy change and such are not really based on a present need and more academically based on what is best overall. If reverting to an older ruleset would serve the server best, then it is true on its face that the change is "needed" as the goal is always to excel.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #379701

CitrusGender wrote:Is there really a need to overhaul all the rules that have been ammended and changed for, what I would hope, would be good reason over time?

They're making a statement that basically boils down to "policy discussion has always been useless and we may as well disregard everything and revert to the old rules" which is not wrong. Most threads here are ban appeals/ban requests and the rest are dupes of other threads because no matter wether a policy is "solved", there will always be admins who ignore the final ruling thus prompting another thread.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #379707

actually it was just so I could bait repukan into calling my ruleset unsuitable for /tg/ and then I could laugh at him.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #379720

Ban these people
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #379742

Kor wrote:Rules against play2win will never make sense as long as the "antags can kill anyone fnr" rule is intact.

Not to mention giant team modes like the cults and rev.

the joke is that oranges went to the original rules article revision and copy pasted it

citrus you were IN THE DISCORD VOICE CHAT WHEN HE POINTED THIS OUT
Limey wrote:its too late.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #379748

Cobby wrote:Ban these people
this is a pretty good rules rewrite
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #379761

Qbopper wrote:-snip-

citrus you were IN THE DISCORD VOICE CHAT WHEN HE POINTED THIS OUT
>is a joke
>literarly everyone in the thread takes this seriously
Grazyn wrote:They're making a statement...
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Cedar is probably right though, but at the same time I only say it just due to the fact that I could only hope that the people who adjusted said rules had the needs for what is best for the server at heart.
Though, I would imagine a lawyer would be concerned with previous amendments and rulings.
all he cares about is money though,filthy lie-wayer
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #379785

>is a joke

many shitty things we have today were added as a "joke" and somehow got through nonetheless, the whole 3/4 resprite started as a joke and now everything looks like shit
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #379799

Grazyn wrote:>is a joke

many shitty things we have today were added as a "joke" and somehow got through nonetheless, the whole 3/4 resprite started as a joke and now everything looks like shit
If this actually gains enough traction then I'll write my opinon.

I see no reason to now.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #380057

Posted as a joke or not I unironically support this rules reversion.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380073

cedarbridge wrote:Posted as a joke or not I unironically support this rules reversion.
when i win the host vote let me rewrite some of the awkward parts because this sounds like it was written by an underage player
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #380155

I like it personally.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #380275

who cares
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #380301

not like anyone reads the rules anyway lmao
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #381126

doesnt matter
nothing matters
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #381174

cedarbridge wrote:Posted as a joke or not I unironically support this rules reversion.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #381223

I think the rules should be replaced with Kors chart of admins. The rules mean nothing when in practice each admin has their own rulelist they not only adhere to but enforce as “written”. It would be a lot easier to just tell admins to fill out their typical views on a topic than to play policy ping-pong and argue semantics over something that has such large variability and continues to do such with each passing thread in this sub forum.

This is an entirely serious post.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #381237

Cobby wrote:I think the rules should be replaced with Kors chart of admins. The rules mean nothing when in practice each admin has their own rulelist they not only adhere to but enforce as “written”. It would be a lot easier to just tell admins to fill out their typical views on a topic than to play policy ping-pong and argue semantics over something that has such large variability and continues to do such with each passing thread in this sub forum.

This is an entirely serious post.
replacing the entire rule page with this is a dumb idea but there is likely a middle ground that would be more ideal than either
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #381327

The stupid thing about any ruleset is that there will always be a ton of unwritten precedents that act as de facto rules anyway. If you only read the rules you have a good chance of being banned if you actually apply them as they are written.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #381330

To be fair though any ruleset that has a catch-all clause of "don't be a fucking retard asshole to other players" is gonna get people banned under precedents of things that involve being a fucking retard asshole to other players whether that specific method of being a fucking retard asshole is written down in the rules or not