Recent policy focus on RP

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Game Master

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
Psyentific
 
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Byond Username: Psyentific

Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Psyentific » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:53 am #33586

Image

/tg/station is derived from /tg/ - Traditional Games. /tg/ is the 4chan board for Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer 40k, Magic the Gathering, RP threads, ERP threads, 912th Semi-Annual Wizard's Conclave threads, thinly-veiled elf porn threads, and so on and so forth.
/tg/station comes from a community where role playing and role playing games, in the strictest & most traditional definition of the word, are the primary topic of discussion.

If you're whining about "muh bay", or maybe "muh single names", or maybe "muh assistants"?
If you're not willing to put five, maybe ten minutes of thought into some scraped-together backstory?
If you're not willing to use those same five minutes to think about "What does my character like?", "What does my character hate?", and "What is something my character will never do?"
If you're bitching and moaning about whatever other topic of the day that's pushing this server away from high-speed-low-drag toolboxing towards longer rounds, less self-insert characters, less grief and more willingness to talk it out in general...

I've really got only one thing to say to you.
/tg/station is a roleplaying server from a roleplaying community. If you're not interested in the barest minimum, in paying lip service to that, in respecting the foundation of our community, you can go right back to Goon, Nox, Yog, or wherever you came from.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.



User avatar
Munchlax
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 am
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Munchlax » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:17 pm #33592

this has been said a hundred times, but keep sperging man

PostThis post was deleted by Vekter on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:47 pm.
Reason: Shitposting

User avatar
UtterNewbie
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby UtterNewbie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:05 pm #33631

Making "us vs them" arguments is not helping anyone, it's only segregating an already niche playerbase. Just as using image macros and elitism as basis for your arguments doesn't further the discussion. But since you already opened this up with such an apt name, even if perhaps in a wrong category:

Role playing games, even the classical kind, encourage player competence when it comes to playing their character. Such as a thief going around always making rolls to check for traps in new areas or when opening chests and perhaps finding a secret door. There are well known roles and their ability to act competent is directly quantifiable by their experience levels and dice rolls. Skill of the player itself is always linked to the actions of his character, as it is essentially his manifestation in the played world.

No matter how experienced and high level his character is, an unskilled player will play poorly and make poor decisions whether it's in regard to the story or actual game play. A thief played by a newbie would forget to use his abilities, do silly mistakes and end up dying early on into the campaign or just be a general hindrance to the party.

In SS13 we don't have levels or dice rolls based on class skills, we only have our own skill to use. We are our characters as far as capability is concerned. It is a realtime game where the world doesn't wait for us to type out our elaborate responses and emotes to current situation. We always make a choice between talking or acting. Player skill in form of typing speed comes into play, those well versed in fast chatting will get to communicate more while having more time to interact with the world in any encounter. Interactions can get hectic and require players to read a fast moving chatbox to understand most situations. Even the player ability to read and readily use the UI plays a large part of a character.

In traditional role playing games players play in what is essentially a turn based environment. There is no hurry about communicating your facial expression and the gestures or words you wish to use, while at the same time making dice rolls. In SS13 interact with dozens of players in what is little more than an hour most of rounds, as opposed to a small circle of people sitting at a table over several sessions or playing out a campaign in some thread.

It is very different from any traditional role playing game.


As far as policy goes:

What I would like to see is a stop to the selective prejudice against competent ingame behavior. I want every job to be treated equally in this regard. Just as virologists get to become demigods, scientists masters of all that is and roboticists playing mechwarriors, I want security to be dragging a beepsky and using their equipment.

I consider atmos being unable to prevent plasma flooding due to OOC rules to be a game design flaw and not something that should be enforced by policy.

The recent naming policy/netspeak issue is in essence fun policing, allowing only certain specific forms of fun and RP. People today are naming their kids after TV shows or items, there's several kids out there named Kaptain or Power. I have no doubt there's a guy named Dick Long. The very essence of names is to describe, people used to give names to their babies meaning Strength or Vigor. People RENAME themselves in reality to absurd names. I know people that use netspeak away from keyboard, this is a real thing no matter how much you would like to cover your ears and scream profanity at them.

User avatar
Malkevin
Confined to the shed
 
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm
Byond Username: Malkevin

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Malkevin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:05 pm #33632

Its ironic that theres usually more RP on /vg-station than /tg.

I've been playing there a fair bit recently, its funny because its basically /tg station circa late 2012 (they even their very own 'up his own arse' RosenRitter) - with all the good and bad that implies, its got that good blend of RolePlay and PowerPlay but theres plenty of elements of its community that are complete shit, and if security manages to not be incompetent and does its job right there will be plenty of cries of shitcurity in post round OOC.
As I said: tg station circa late 2012 - a good server rapidly sliding down a ramp of razor blades into a pool of dung.
This space intentionally left blank.

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby paprika » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:29 am #33788

/tg/ has more players = more shitters = shorter rounds = less opportunity to roleplay

why not use server 2 to be a more roleplay oriented server and have some SLIGHTLY different policies and server configs (no stupid lowpop <20 murderboning, extended access server config, etc) so we can have both the newbie friendly HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG slightly more play to win type of rounds and the slower roleplay rounds?

We'd attract a playerbase to support this, even. /tg/ is a big ss13 community.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
Mat13295
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:54 pm
Byond Username: Mat13295

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Mat13295 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:59 am #33805

I'm just sitting here laughing that people are getting so mad that they can't have a meme name or speak in "LE REDDIT" speak like hot damn is it so hard to make a character and not a self-insert avatar.
I don't even play here anymore, hue.

Scott
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Scott » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 pm #33810

Mat13295 wrote:I'm just sitting here laughing that people are getting so mad that they can't have a meme name or speak in "LE REDDIT" speak like hot damn is it so hard to make a character and not a self-insert avatar.


Who exactly are you referring to?

User avatar
Rafigdoost
 
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:18 am

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Rafigdoost » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:16 pm #33835

well wait if /tg/ originated from 4chan

and 4chan originated from anime

and anime originated from japan

and japan originated from the earth

and the earth originated from cosmic debris

and cosmic debris originated from the big bang

then /tg/ is god?????
Image

This is mine
I earned this

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Steelpoint » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:28 pm #33836

You could argue Hitler is god with that logic.

As others have set, until there is a set in stone role play standard to adhere to (meaning a form of backstory and context), then your definition of in game role play is only subjective to you.
Image

User avatar
Malkevin
Confined to the shed
 
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm
Byond Username: Malkevin

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Malkevin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:56 pm #33846

We used to have a back story on the old wiki.... not sure if it was ever considered canon though
This space intentionally left blank.

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Steelpoint » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:59 pm #33847

Well we still do, but to be frank its mostly just a stupid and drawn out joke.
Image

User avatar
Lovecraft
 
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:19 am
Location: Currently roaming
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Lovecraft » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:11 pm #33880

It's always a small minority that fight for roleplay and everyone else drags their feet and moans the entire time.
The name thread is a really good example of this.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.

Deuce
 
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Deuce » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:59 pm #33943

IMHO SS13 is best enjoyed as a lighthearted clusterfuck of people trying to do their jobs while dedicated antags and sec/vigilantes try to fuck each other over as the station falls to pieces.

It's never going to be a satisfying roleplay experience unless you have some rules of engagement that prevent people killing their opponent while they're typing. And a non-silly canon for people to base their roleplay on. Those are the reasons why Bay works as a serious roleplay environment and /tg/ doesn't. Not the minutiae about atmos and silicons and character names and access levels that people love to argue about.

User avatar
lumipharon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 am
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby lumipharon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:12 pm #33949

The name thread is a terrible example, because names are (or should be) a low priority item if we're trying to encourage/force roleplay. I WANT MORE RP, but force renaming people because they're big mclargehuge or whatever silly/non approved name while letting people act in a completely non rp way is just absurd. I would rather people called Cock Gobbler Prime play, and be an actual competent roleplayer, rather then John Smith playing as a power gaming shitter. Ideally of course It would be John Smith being a competent role player, but apparantly changing two things at once is hard.

PostThis post was deleted by Deuce on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:14 pm.

Incomptinence
 
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 am
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Incomptinence » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:19 pm #33953

I do RP, I know what my character likes, he likes being surrounded by a bunch of power gaming shits that could cave his skull in any second. I argue it would be the only thing that makes not being able to do same to them every round bearable for him.

User avatar
UtterNewbie
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby UtterNewbie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:50 pm #33958

Being very good at your job is not power gaming apparently, just ask your local geneticist. Giving yourself super powers is not power gaming. Neither is walking around in war machines, or solving world hunger while simultaneously curing all injuries. Cargo NEEDS those insulated gloves for their job, not like they spawn with gloves!

Suddenly you're playing an officer! No yellow gloves for you, that's power gaming. No little robots for you, that's power gaming. Only powergamers patrol maint! You can't preemptively protect vulnerable areas, what are you a METAGAMER? Real officers that are properly role played would never do that! Remember you can't RP being competent, that's power gaming and playing to win. But only if you're playing a security role.

User avatar
Bibliodewangus
 
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Bibliodewangus » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:54 pm #33960

I think it is funny how we put so many interesting features into this game and then tell people not to use them. That attitude is not nearly as prevalent here as it is in places like Bay, and I understand WHY people adopt that line of thinking, but ultimately it only serves to suck the enjoyment out of the game. You can roleplay and still be silly and crazy. In a world like SS13's where you face death every time you go to work, anyone who behaves completely sane and rationally is far more unbelievable than the assistant who strips down and smashes a few windows.

User avatar
Malkevin
Confined to the shed
 
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm
Byond Username: Malkevin

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Malkevin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:38 am #33981

I am an RPer at heart but I've never liked Bay's idea of RP - present day office simulator...in spaaaccee is not only incredibly boring but incredibly lazy and uncreative.
This space intentionally left blank.

User avatar
Bibliodewangus
 
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Bibliodewangus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 am #33983

Malkevin wrote:I am an RPer at heart but I've never liked Bay's idea of RP - present day office simulator...in spaaaccee is not only incredibly boring but incredibly lazy and uncreative.

My point exactly, it is not bucking RP to act in a bit of silly and crazed way. These types of situations are the essence of SS13. when you punish people (OOC bans I mean, brig time is what should be done) for stuff like breaking into captains office to change the floors to grass and so on, all you're doing is pushing away the people who use creativity to make each round unique and fun and encouraging a bad time and favoritism

callanrockslol
 
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:47 pm
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby callanrockslol » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 am #34015

This is the game were clowns and mimes are diplomats and miners wrestle eldrich horrors.

Either roleplay the uptight asshole for a straight man that everyone makes fun off and get told to go back to bay or enjoy being a silly spaceman doing insane awesome stuff

Serious question, how many of you actually have fun playing this game and how many are just addicted to the 2d heroin?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.

Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."

Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.

Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it

petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature

MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?

Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby

oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode

Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.

Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them



OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget

Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right

all we're saying is that you're not crag son


bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game

The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy

User avatar
Psyentific
 
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Psyentific » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:58 am #34033

callanrockslol wrote:This is the game were clowns and mimes are diplomats and miners wrestle eldrich horrors.

Either roleplay the uptight asshole for a straight man that everyone makes fun off and get told to go back to bay or enjoy being a silly spaceman doing insane awesome stuff

Serious question, how many of you actually have fun playing this game and how many are just addicted to the 2d heroin?


I'd like to roleplay being a silly spaceman doing insane awesome stuff, thank you very much. If I wanted uptight no-fun office-simulator muh-immersion, I would be on Bay.

I've been on Bay. Okay no I haven't, I don't want to touch bay with a ten foot pole. I've been on numerous RP servers; self-professed 'medium' RP servers, even a few rounds on BestRP. While the people there are generally agreeable, every single round I've had on medium RP servers has been mediocre. Below average. Not shit, but absolutely no highlights because nothing fucking happens. It really irks me that Baystation is the face of roleplay in space station thirteen, because baystation is pure autism and the baybies that orbit it miss the entire point of ss13. It's not a good round unless something exploded somewhere that wasn't the toxins test range. I'm so incredibly tired of Bay coming up in every discussion about roleplay, like I can't talk about nationalism without vehemently denying being Hitler.

The amount of roleplaying I do in SS13 is almost nothing;
Karen Sharpe is perpetually pessimistic; She likes it when people let the warden process the prisoners and do her job, she hates it when sec doesn't lock their lockers. She gets mad if you imply that she's a Cargonian, because she is DEFINITELY NOT a cargonian despite looking exactly like one.
Lyra Steiner-Davion is snooty and aristocratic; She likes it when people display basic competence, she doesn't like it when people make a mess of her office. She's an avid falconeer, as if that's at all relevant.

That, right there, is about all I want from people. 'Roleplay' on the level of putting on a hat and talking funny. Be vaguely in-tone with the rest of the game. Vaguely, as in don't be a viking, be a ~space~ viking, marooned here after your space-longboat ran aground on the mining asteroid. In spaaaaace.
Be silly - SS13 is made for silly, over the top things; Remember, you can make anything setting-appropriate by prepending "Space" to it. Maybe rip a character directly out of whatever your favorite sci-fi story; Bonus points if it's not the main character.
Maybe your character used to be a Space Fisherman, knows all the best ways to kill space carp, all the best ways to gut 'em, and most importantly how to not die when you eat space carp. Maybe two assistants hooked up in Maintbar and nine months later Stan Glubbs and his brothers Fleur Tyles, Thule Bocks and Cabble Kufz were born. At this point, I'm just tossing out ideas.



Heck, I'll even give you a framework.
Your character was born somewhere, and had some kind of parents.
They did something really cool when they were a kid.
They're scared of one trivial thing, probably for a silly reason.
They wound up on SS13, somehow.
They would like to do one thing before they leave the station today.

Example:
Thule Bocks was born in a back corner of maintainence. He never knew his father, but his mother taught him how to make a stunprod before he knew how to spell.
Once, when he was a boy, Thule made an entire gang of angry red guys slip on a banana peel by throwing it at their feet; He was laughing so hard his sides needed surgery, and the burger he ate afterwards looked a little funny, but tasted great.
Thule Bocks is terrified of fat people; They might eat him!
Thule Bocks was born here, on that very table in fact. Every time the station explodes, he just hides in a locker.
Before he 'leaves' the station today, Thule Bocks would like to stash three complete sets of tools and two pairs of insulated gloves around the station, just in case.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.

User avatar
UtterNewbie
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby UtterNewbie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 am #34079

How about role playing an officer that is really good at catching bad guys?
How about a paranoid warden constantly looking over his shoulder, barricading himself in the brig and never leaving his post.
An officer that was formerly an electrician?
A human being that actually had training for more than breathing?

At what point does it stop being role play and starts being "powergaming"? How well can we play our roles? Must everyone have an inbuilt handicap directly related to his job?

User avatar
Stickymayhem
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:03 am #34098

UtterNewbie wrote:How about role playing an officer that is really good at catching bad guys?
How about a paranoid warden constantly looking over his shoulder, barricading himself in the brig and never leaving his post.
An officer that was formerly an electrician?
A human being that actually had training for more than breathing?

At what point does it stop being role play and starts being "powergaming"? How well can we play our roles? Must everyone have an inbuilt handicap directly related to his job?


You are the most boring person on the forum.

The difference is all you care about more than anything in the world is to win and deny greentext. This shows a terrible lack of understanding about what the game is for. It is not a high-stakes, competitive twitch shooter. It's a roleplaying game. I have literally never seen you roleplay ever, and I have seen you powergame harder than anyone else and more frequently than anyone else. If you actually roleplayed a paranoid Warden and barricaded the brig acting like a coward, I could accept that. But I know for a fact you would just be doing it to win and the second you had an opportunity to apply valid to someone's face you would break out the guns and fight them in a heartbeat.

Roleplaying as the most perfect possible human being every round who must destroy every antag no matter what for some reason is not roleplaying.

Also, Psyentific has the absolute right idea. If every single person did that and nothing more every round, I'm sure the station would be more interesting and they would personally have more fun. Everyone has infinite room to give themselves interesting traits and should take the opportunity to do so.
Image

Image

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be

User avatar
UtterNewbie
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby UtterNewbie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 am #34128

Stickymayhem wrote:You are the most boring person on the forum.

The difference is all you care about more than anything in the world is to win and deny greentext. This shows a terrible lack of understanding about what the game is for. It is not a high-stakes, competitive twitch shooter. It's a roleplaying game. I have literally never seen you roleplay ever, and I have seen you powergame harder than anyone else and more frequently than anyone else. If you actually roleplayed a paranoid Warden and barricaded the brig acting like a coward, I could accept that. But I know for a fact you would just be doing it to win and the second you had an opportunity to apply valid to someone's face you would break out the guns and fight them in a heartbeat.

Roleplaying as the most perfect possible human being every round who must destroy every antag no matter what for some reason is not roleplaying.

Also, Psyentific has the absolute right idea. If every single person did that and nothing more every round, I'm sure the station would be more interesting and they would personally have more fun. Everyone has infinite room to give themselves interesting traits and should take the opportunity to do so.

I role played every single time I logged in. I made an arrivals / bridge shop a dozen of times, ran a pure meat kitchen processing fresh meat right at the table, pretended to be a naive cargo tech sending out hot coco to all available destinations in gift packages, played an ignorant doctor that applauded her own skill as she managed to revive a dead person without cloning (it was an obvious changeling), participated in several events and played along accordingly, including several general station inspections, lead an uprising with lizard folk as immigrants, lead a revolution as a mid round made rev head after captain proved himself to be a literal hitler and countless other things I don't even remember.

Your perception of me is skewed, I play my role to the best of my abilities every damn time. Every time I'm traitor I go for the objectives and don't just randomly murderbone. If I do go after non-objectives I at least make it fun, such as parapening someone and dragging them to maint for interrogation, killing janitor with his own wet mop etc.

When I played assistant I didn't greytide, I didn't break into places other than to sometimes use a coin in a tool vendor in engineering, most of the times I just asked a borg / AI to escort me into engineering to do it but they weren't always available. I redecorated entire bridge hallway with reinforced floors and even removed the windows as part of station improvement. I made countless autism hangouts in maint, a frigging gambling den in security maint. When revived and untreated for braindamage I play as literally retarded, talking off course and doing bullshit.

When I play sec I play the best sec I can, being smart and prepared is part of role playing. Using available equipment is using common sense. I always ask people to show me their bags / pockets and only then resort to stun cuffing when they book it or act seriously shady. I often patrol maint once I do a round of hallways. When I was forced to kill my securitron I even played out being heartbroken about it, suiciding shortly afterwards. I even played as an electrician officer that autistically rewired some parts of brig and installed a backup SMES.

I have never seen you roleplay outside of your own admin events and only remember your ingame presence from antag rounds and braindead jack steiners in tool storage outside of those events, that doesn't mean I'll call you a powergaming shitler for abusing grav boots for a month straight. I know better than that, I'm not omniscient and neither are you so I don't assume more than I see.

I really have nothing against you and don't understand your hostility, the one time I provided negative feedback on your admin thread it got promptly censored as a ban appeal, which it wasn't and didn't even mention it. It said you were unprofessional as admin and I was right, and still am. I don't even have too look far for evidence to support it. It doesn't mean I hate you or dislike you, it's feedback. If that is still rustling you then that was not my intention, I wanted you to realize how you were acting.

This thread is not about you and me though, so please don't bring up your problems with me and try to stick to the topic at hand, which is focus on RP. A very specific form of RP a few people agree on, leaving no room for competent behavior for certain jobs.

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby NikNakFlak » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:10 pm #34198

I agree with sticky.
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Bibliodewangus
 
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Bibliodewangus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:14 pm #34199

UtterNewbie is a scourge upon this server. He's the kind of guy to conveniently tailor an argument to mask the true scale of the damage he causes, but we all know the truth.It's very easy to say you did good things after the fact on a forum. But we saw you.

User avatar
captain sawrge
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:13 pm
Byond Username: Sawrge

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby captain sawrge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm #34202

Powergaming and winning is fun.
But you know, your fun is better than everyone else's. Good for you I guess.
Spoiler:
/tg/station's community is as derived from /tg/ as Goon's is from something awful, Bay's is from Bay12, and Yog's is from the Yogscast.
Image

User avatar
Stickymayhem
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:38 pm #34212

NikNakFlak wrote:I agree with sticky.


Oh God what have I done.

UtterNewbie wrote:This thread is not about you and me though, so please don't bring up your problems with me and try to stick to the topic at hand, which is focus on RP. A very specific form of RP a few people agree on, leaving no room for competent behavior for certain jobs.


You say that, and yet you bring up this bloody issue constantly with only the faintest coat of paint after it was resolved in your thread. It's just so tedious. Turning every issue into your own personal battle and finding every plausible excuse to continue to argue over something that ended ages ago is just plain boring and irritating.

We get it. You liked using everything every round to win. This was and still is against the rules:

3. This is a roleplaying game. The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Being an asshole, who ruins other player’s roleplay experience, just to win, is considered a ‘play-to-win’ style of playing. You can and will be banned for this playstyle. Be considerate of other players’ experience.

Now please just stop. I don't hate you, but I cannot stand your posts.

Spoiler:
This post is also relevant to kuraudo and biblio-whatever. Please stop whining all around the forums because you have been personally wronged.
Last edited by Stickymayhem on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be

PostThis post was deleted by Stickymayhem on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 pm.

Deuce
 
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 pm #34219

Stickymayhem wrote:3. This is a roleplaying game. The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Being an asshole, who ruins other player’s roleplay experience, just to win, is considered a ‘play-to-win’ style of playing. You can and will be banned for this playstyle. Be considerate of other players’ experience.


A silly rule considering most of the "roleplay" that antag hunters ruin is antags bombing shit and murderboning.

User avatar
Bibliodewangus
 
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Bibliodewangus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:07 pm #34228

Stickymayhem why did you delete that post? I hate how the mods on here delete posts that point out how wrong they are. I'm not sure if that post was but I posted a bunch of good arguments in a thread so they got deleted. This is fascism, I bet this post will be deleted. If the right opinion was given the most credence in this server, things would be a lot better. You are not right just because you have authority, and all you're doing is proving how wrong you really are by trying to blank out the conversation. Don't be a coward.

User avatar
Stickymayhem
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:12 pm #34233

Bibliodewangus wrote:Stickymayhem why did you delete that post? I hate how the mods on here delete posts that point out how wrong they are. I'm not sure if that post was but I posted a bunch of good arguments in a thread so they got deleted. This is fascism, I bet this post will be deleted. If the right opinion was given the most credence in this server, things would be a lot better. You are not right just because you have authority, and all you're doing is proving how wrong you really are by trying to blank out the conversation. Don't be a coward.


Mate chill out it was a double post.
Image

Image

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be

User avatar
Bibliodewangus
 
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Bibliodewangus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:13 pm #34236

Oh ok sorry

Incomptinence
 
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 am
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Incomptinence » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 pm #34237

Yeah even deleting your own posts you don't like ends up in a format pretty much identical to an admin deleting it. It is kinda silly.

User avatar
Stickymayhem
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Stickymayhem » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:29 pm #34243

Incomptinence wrote:Yeah even deleting your own posts you don't like ends up in a format pretty much identical to an admin deleting it. It is kinda silly.


It's easy to leave a reason I just accidentally hit enter before doing so.
Image

Image

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be

User avatar
UtterNewbie
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby UtterNewbie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 pm #34257

Bibliodewangus wrote:UtterNewbie is a scourge upon this server. He's the kind of guy to conveniently tailor an argument to mask the true scale of the damage he causes, but we all know the truth.It's very easy to say you did good things after the fact on a forum. But we saw you.

You realize I stopped playing 2 weeks ago and have never interacted with you ingame right? The only experience you have with me is here on forum when you were spamming about your cargotide ban in 4 different forum categories.

Stickymayhem wrote:You say that, and yet you bring up this bloody issue constantly with only the faintest coat of paint after it was resolved in your thread. It's just so tedious. Turning every issue into your own personal battle and finding every plausible excuse to continue to argue over something that ended ages ago is just plain boring and irritating.

I have made no thread about you. And I have no idea what ended ages ago, since security threads keep popping up now more than ever. I made exactly one thread about barricades over a month ago. None since. I didn't even want to bring the incident that caused me to stop playing onto forums, which is why I posted on the shitposting board called singulo. But hey someone else did it, so I at least tried to explain my position on this since I was already dragged into it.

Stickymayhem wrote:We get it. You liked using everything every round to win. This was and still is against the rules:

3. This is a roleplaying game. The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Being an asshole, who ruins other player’s roleplay experience, just to win, is considered a ‘play-to-win’ style of playing. You can and will be banned for this playstyle. Be considerate of other players’ experience.

I'm sorry but who's fun did I ruin? The murderboning antag that carried 12 corpses in a locker? That oh so clever roleplaying bomber caught leaving science with a backpack stuffed with bombs?

How can you even win ss13? It's literally impossible. There's no victory condition. You can pretend your greentext is winning, but there's not even a score to keep track of. You may keep repeating that I'm a mean powergamer out to ruin someone elses fun and "win", but I have never seen anyone but greytiders and murderboning antagonists throw a bitchfit about me playing sec. The entire point of security is to stop criminals and keep peace.

I dare you to point out a single case where I ruined someones role play while playing security. Just a single one. That's the entire point of the rule, ruining role play, which I have NEVER done. And I was never banned for anything I done as security. The only reason I quit is because of the constant harassment. Not the player harassment, the one from administration and specifically HBL, a headmin joining in on it.

I broke no rule as security, ruined nobodies role play and still received shit for it from a headmin. I just can't wait for the rules to be conveniently revised again and retroactively applied.

Stickymayhem wrote:Now please just stop. I don't hate you, but I cannot stand your posts.

That's not how discussion works, if you don't wish to discuss the subject you stop posting in a discussion about it, not ask others to stop because you can't stand their posts about it.

User avatar
Spacemanspark
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm
Location: Paradise
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Spacemanspark » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:52 pm #34261

I might mention again that Baystation does allow security to use lethal force on anybody, in any way, who happens to be murderboning/ bombing shit/ etc., provided the admins don't get to said murderboner first.
Utternewbie shouldn't have received shit for this.
:^)

User avatar
Reimoo
 
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 pm
Byond Username: Reimoo

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Reimoo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 pm #34269

Let me just say that enforcing RP oriented behavior is a very silly thing to do given our circumstances. /tg/ lies in a peculiar position where it's in the center of a spectrum between gameplay and roleplay, with Goon and Bay on the far ends, respectively. The majority of the SS13 community has recognized us for this, and it would be foolish to heavily skew it in favor of one side or the other.

Our player demographic is very broad because of this, and so our policies must reflect that. To put it more bluntly, light roleplaying means light policies. More policies certainly can't fix everything wrong with our playerbase, and many times it makes things worse. If you want player behavior to change in a positive manner, start with changing the game itself, not the rules of the game.
Last edited by Reimoo on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Psyentific
 
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Psyentific » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 pm #34271

UtterNewbie wrote:
Bibliodewangus wrote:UtterNewbie is a scourge upon this server. He's the kind of guy to conveniently tailor an argument to mask the true scale of the damage he causes, but we all know the truth.It's very easy to say you did good things after the fact on a forum. But we saw you.

You realize I stopped playing 2 weeks ago and have never interacted with you ingame right? The only experience you have with me is here on forum when you were spamming about your cargotide ban in 4 different forum categories.

If you stopped playing two weeks ago, why are you still posting here?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.

User avatar
UtterNewbie
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby UtterNewbie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:38 pm #34277

Psyentific wrote:If you stopped playing two weeks ago, why are you still posting here?

Because I still care about the game.

User avatar
Malkevin
Confined to the shed
 
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm
Byond Username: Malkevin

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Malkevin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 pm #34283

Psyentific wrote:
UtterNewbie wrote:
Bibliodewangus wrote:UtterNewbie is a scourge upon this server. He's the kind of guy to conveniently tailor an argument to mask the true scale of the damage he causes, but we all know the truth.It's very easy to say you did good things after the fact on a forum. But we saw you.

You realize I stopped playing 2 weeks ago and have never interacted with you ingame right? The only experience you have with me is here on forum when you were spamming about your cargotide ban in 4 different forum categories.

If you stopped playing two weeks ago, why are you still posting here?

You're probably the last person that should be pulling the "You quit, why are you still here?" card
This space intentionally left blank.

Deuce
 
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:57 pm #34290

Perhaps those who advocate more fun policing "roleplay" policy could address the content of this person's posts instead of flinging poo?

Murazor
 
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:43 am
Byond Username: Murazor

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Murazor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:21 am #34351

UtterNewbie wrote:Suddenly you're playing an officer! No yellow gloves for you, that's power gaming. No little robots for you, that's power gaming. Only powergamers patrol maint! You can't preemptively protect vulnerable areas, what are you a METAGAMER? Real officers that are properly role played would never do that! Remember you can't RP being competent, that's power gaming and playing to win. But only if you're playing a security role.


As someone who plays sec quite a bit, HoS mainly, I very very rarely get flak from the admins about anything I do. I barricade the door, and I put down greytide shitlers on a regular basis. In the last two months the only bwoik's I've heard are: "Why did you perma so and so?" *Tell them* "K, thanks for your time."
ImageImageImage

PostThis post was deleted by Hornygranny on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:43 pm.
Reason: inflammatory

Deuce
 
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Recent policy focus on RP

Postby Deuce » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:59 pm #34506

imblyings wrote:really. I think some people get autistic over their little idea of what 'roleplay' is, shit threads like this start up for a bit, it dies down and this thing continues to cycle on forever. Nothing changes though.


Aside from the list of bannable things slowly getting longer.


Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fisentke545, Mickyan