People with remote disabling the servers

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

People with remote disabling the servers

Post by oranges » #396728

Bottom post of the previous page:

Nobody has the right to turn the servers off and deny the community their place to play, ever, period.

We clearly recognise that in normal circumstances it's not allowable for administrators to ruin the round with interference, and indeed a safe space was even carved out for april fools.

The only situation where it's allowable is for good technical reasons.

This server is paid for by the community, it's run by the community and that fact should be respected by the people we elected as guardians for that community.

It doesn't even matter that it was only 3 or 4 hours, they don't have the right and they shouldn't have done it.

I would like an explanation of the events of yesterday and for whichever headadmin did it to explain why they felt they had the right to do this? I don't believe this should either be an acceptable thing to do and it should be made into stone and policy and enforced as such.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: People with remote disabling the servers

Post by Wyzack » #396950

I think the real biggest oopsie here was saying Sybil would be shennanigans free and then turning it off anyways "as a prank bro"
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #396974

Headmins were elected by the community, they represent the community (players, admins and host, because coders don't have a say on server matters) and they make decisions on the behalf of the community. Since there is no way for the community to express their personal preference over every single matter, delegates such as headmins are needed. They decided that this joke was funny and we must accept it, those who felt wronged and betrayed can use the one weapon we all have, as a community: don't vote for them at the next election and vote someone else instead.

Representatives all around the world fail and mess up all the time, but remember, their power comes directly from us. We are free to give it, and to take it away.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #396998

Does "I won't shut down the servers" really need to be in the candidate threads
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #397000

Lazengann wrote:Does "I won't shut down the servers" really need to be in the candidate threads
yes
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #397009

I dont understand. Turning off the servers because it's "Jesus day" is a prank? What am I missing here?
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #397010

I'll throw my tuppence in I suppose.

oranges is right the servers should in all normal circumstances never be shut down ever except for technical issues. April Fools is not a normal circumstance it's a one-off day where stupid shit happens. As a headmin team we decided to make Sybil a safe zone and after Arm suggested turning the servers off as a joke for Easter. Citrus missed this as he was busy as he stated and I thought it'd be amusing for a short while so I went with it.

Turns out it was amusing for a short while for myself, maybe I have a dark sense of humour who knows. After about 3 hours Citrus asked that the servers be turned back on and I voted with him as the joke had already worn very thin. Now that it's been done it can never happen again.

Also for what it's worth if I'm ever headmin again during April Fools I'll just be voting for it to not exist beyond the silly testmerges we have. Between this and the number of complaints about admins after they were let off their leashes for April Fools is a terrible idea and shouldn't be allowed again.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #397038

Rustledjimm wrote:Between this and the number of complaints about admins after they were let off their leashes for April Fools is a terrible idea and shouldn't be allowed again.
i can't think of a year it hasn't happened and most people dread april fool's for this reason
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #397040

Qbopper wrote:It's pretty funny to me that everyone keeps using the term "the community" when it's pretty likely oranges is by far the largest contributor to the upkeep and we'd be in trouble if he didn't donate (unless I'm mistaken)
This situation is not true any more and in fact I stopped donating for a while. It was only true back in 2015/ early 2016
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #397050

It seems at least two of the headmins agree with the general stance, I don't know if arm wants to apologise or if he's going to stick with his guns, but I don't think we'll get much more out of this thread.