what is the policy for secondary antags communicating with nonantags?

Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

what is the policy for secondary antags communicating with nonantags?

Post by Deitus » #399414

when you get a message from a secondary antag that you know OOC-ly is in fact a message from a secondary antag, how should you respond to it in terms of IC behavior?

while revenants can do this as well with their telepathy, the main reason i ask this is because i often get pda messages from "central command" or other IC-ly "high positions" that i know OOC-ly are from lavaland base syndicates that tell me to do certain things such as arrest/kill a crewmember for "treason" or other similar such things. i normally sidestep the issue since iirc there was an admin decision some time in the past that said you should not act on hallucinations that might cause IC altercations (attacking crewmembers because you're hallucinating them to be slaughter demons, for example), but citation is needed on that since i might be incorrect.

i know this might be passed off as "exercise good judgement," but there have been increasing cases where major round events (mutinies, etc) have been started in this way, with some being given the OK while others have been actioned. i'd just like to have admins weigh in on their views on this matter so some baseline can be made for future events like this.

disclaimer: i have not been the "victim" of one of these kinds of events so this isnt meant to be an ided thread, i just genuinely want to know how these matters should be handled.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: what is the policy for secondary antags communicating with nonantags?

Post by kevinz000 » #399420

tbh I feel like this should be one of those "use common sense and act in good faith, think about what is realistically possible in an IC sense and then from those examples think about what is do-able without being a dick to everyone."
i've had sec officers get forged PDA messages from agents while I was HoS to arrest/repeatedly search/outright kill people, and it's lead to fun IC conflicts before, but if a blanket judgement is made and anyone and everyone is allowed to "CENTCOM TOLD ME TO KILL THAT GUY" that becomes unfun really, really fast, while if it's made in the other sense and people aren't allowed to listen to things they believe are forged, at all, we're removing another source of conflict that is actually interesting.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #399433

It's a difficult one because I can certainly see that what one admin would think is "source of conflict that is actually interesting" is another admin's "self-antagging", so I do think the question bears some discussion.

Obviously there's levels of credibility ("From: Nanorasen Hgih Command - Kill the HoS!!!" vs "Due to the following crimes, the Head of Security is hereby demoted and should be apprehended with all required force by the crew of [station]") but I could see it becoming a very blurred line, especially where a character/player has secondary motive (i.e. got arrested by the HoS and his insulateds confiscated).
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #399461

Should be common knowledge for characters in authority roles that the message monitor console can be used by anybody with the password to send phony PDA messages, and that Central has their own official channels to communicate with the station.

I'm all for interesting sources of conflict but the message monitor is just too easy, lavaland syndies get the key at roundstart and it's rare for the CE to ever touch the paper on his table let alone take measures to prevent anybody from reading it.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #399485

If you got a text message on your phone from a sender called "THE GOVERNMENT" telling you to go murder someone, would you do it? Maybe if a lavaland OP was watching a power crazy HOS murder people left and right and wanted to stir some shit up then they could start working on that angle. But murdering someone who isn't doing anything wrong as a non antag because 'lol my pda said to' is pretty silly.
--Crocodillo

EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #399683

If your an assistant and you get a pda message from "Teh Centcom CEO" that says "HoS a valid, kill he" you probably shouldn't do it.

If your the CE, it looks like someone yelled over the radio about rogue AI and then coms cut out and you get a message from the cap telling you that bob engiman one humaned it you probably shouldnt get in trouble for trying to detain him
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #399727

EagleWiz wrote:If your an assistant and you get a pda message from "Teh Centcom CEO" that says "HoS a valid, kill he" you probably shouldn't do it.

If your the CE, it looks like someone yelled over the radio about rogue AI and then coms cut out and you get a message from the cap telling you that bob engiman one humaned it you probably shouldnt get in trouble for trying to detain him
Oh god. I'm crying.

common sense in a policy thread.

there are tears in my eyes
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #399740

cmspano wrote:If you got a text message on your phone from a sender called "THE GOVERNMENT" telling you to go murder someone, would you do it?
This sort of hypothetical doesn't work on the average TG player.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #399747

EagleWiz wrote:If your an assistant and you get a pda message from "Teh Centcom CEO" that says "HoS a valid, kill he" you probably shouldn't do it.

not to emptyquote but

/thread
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
MaximumOverlizard
Byond Username: MaximumOverlizard

Post by MaximumOverlizard » #399803

Given that, for example, it's trivial to get the message monitor key, as mentioned above, this really seems like a question of "Act like a reasonable fucking person." Don't look for excuses to pop a murder boner and you're fine? Rule 1, etc.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #399806

do I see a challenger?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #399814

It appears common sense wins today in Policy Discussion.

Tune in next week and see if our daring hero will pull through.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes