The naming policy is dumb

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

The naming policy is dumb

Post by oranges » #408813

Headmins still haven't addressed it

Kor is locking threads like they're a head admin.

FUCKING SAY SOMETHING YOU USELESS HUNKS OF SHIT
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: The naming policy is dumb

Post by Saegrimr » #408818

It even says so in the rules page, if you're good enough friends with the admins you can ignore the rule entirely. :^)
A firstname lastname minimum is required and no honorifics are allowed. Nicknames in the middle are ok. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #408819

I am honestly more confused about naming policy after reading the thread than before.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #408849

Citrus is working on this right now, just hold your horse

i guess he can post here when he's ready!
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #408921

I looked through all 9 policy threads we’ve had about naming and the only codified proposals I could find was Ausop’s ruleset, which is followed:
Spoiler:
imblyings wrote:
Rule 7- Character names should be spelled with capitals and without shortenings (e.g. John Doe, instead of J Doe or john doe). A minimal amount of effort should be put into making the names fit in within the context of a crew member of a 26th century, and sometimes wacky and nonsensical, space station. References are allowed.
Rule 7.a- Obviously OOC names are not allowed.
Rule 7.b- Lizards have a looser naming policy and can choose to base their names off the Verbs-the-Noun format, or anything similar.
Rule 7.c- Silicons, clowns, mimes, wizards, and nuclear operative last names have no naming restrictions but names that suck really bad may be subject to Primary Policy Rule 0 admin intervention.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3633

(obviously this got shortened down as time went on)
I think this is telling enough to show that nobody really has any idea about what absolute rules would fit their idea of an “appropriate name” and an “inappropriate name.” All these threads seem to be arguing about is specific examples of names they deem good or bad with differing opinions on “inappropriate names” which we describe with words such as “dumb names” or “gibberish names.” Beesting is right to say that these thread solve absolutely nothing since this clarification is what we do already. So, all I can offer to you all now is that "Nyanaroni An'Cheese" doesn’t fit the rules and is not giving enough of the “minimal effort” required.

I do like Arm’s idea about leaving notes though. This was already proposed before but nobody ever did anything about it and of course I would ask that all admins do it. Admins will always enforce the policy differently and if you feel that your name was unjustly denied, then take it to the headmins in our “robust appeals process” coined by oranges. Still, I think we’ve had enough discussion for these threads.