replace rules with

imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

replace rules with

Post by imblyings » #409801

an explanation of the process in which admins make decisions and what factors they look for, since attempting to make a catch-all rule has so far not quite worked as well in the last decade

for example, conflict between non-antags may be written as
Admins will look at the following factors when ruling on conflict between non-antags. Who started the conflict, for what reason, attempts at de-escalation or retaliation, whether a player had already sought help from admins, and the information available then to the player. Admins will generally rule against excessive retaliation, ignoring reasonable attempts at de-escalation, and instigators of less reasonable or unnecessary conflict,.
name policy might be,
Admins will generally accept names that are phonetically sound and in the Firstname Lastname format, that could be roughly believed to be plausible in a wacky sci-fi setting. There are allowances for names that don't seem very name like, but in doubt, contacting admins first and asking them to approve weirder names (and to have them leave a note to that effect in your notes) is highly advised to avoid any hassle. Having a gimmick or being a good player will likely help in having weirder names.
ooc policy might be,
Discussing, mentioning, or referencing in any way anything that is going on IC in OOC can be met with instant bans from admins. There is a zero-tolerance tradition for this. If you have a genuine question about something IC that you are unsure of, it is preferred you adminhelp if you can not be absolutely sure about saying anything IC in OOC. However, admins are likely to be more lenient on questions on things like normal game mechanics "how do I work xenobiology to get gold slimes?" than questions like "how do I arm the nuke as a nuke op??"
In this way, players both get something resembling rules that might cover a bit more but also believe they have an open and more transparent understanding of how admins make decisions, and hopefully model the way they play after them. For admins, this is also a chance for how we enforce rules to shape the rules, rather than have the rules shape how we enforce the rules. None of us strictly follow the rules as written, there is no actual hope of doing so, most of us probably already go off an internalized balance of what is fair or not. Pinpointing the most common factors we like to consider should be much easier, especially since this is something also easily taught to trialmins and admin candidates- it would be hard overriding their experience of SS13 but it should be easier teaching them basic adminhelp procedure which also transfers over to bette rrules.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: replace rules with

Post by Bluespace » #409803

ausops once again being the only person in the community able to effectively handle policy
I play Boris Pepper.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #409807

To be honest though, rule zero allows such flexibility to enforce rules from a case to case basis. Maybe expanding rule zero in that admins are free to be flexible within how to handle certain situations as the rules are not meant to be concrete. I would say sure to such a process, but it feels like a lot work to write out explanations that may not cover everything that admins do; so having a set of rules is something that should be a basic foundation.
Freedom
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #409811

The flexibility already exists yes, but I believe this is a chance to explain the decision process behind case-by-case rulings. The admins should be just as enabled as before- but now players should have an understanding of why things are case-by-case, and maybe even think about the factors themselves. The admin guide roughly covers most things a new admin should think about when dealing with an ahelp, I feel that minimum is enough to cover the gamut of possible admin interactions.

Some rules might need to stay rules e.g. no exploits, no erp, but for the rules where admins have to keep on using rule 0 I think opening the inner workings of process a little bit will help.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #409826

More transparency in how admins make decisions is a good thing, but I dont think it should outright replace the rules, just should be a forward to the rule list.

Generally being open with the fact that admins are people too, and communicating how they do their job will make things much smoother in general.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #409892

I honestly don’t expect people who this would be applicable to to go through the effort of looking at the several different locations to figure out the server rules when in reality most admins, being different people, make decisions differently (obviously there’s some overlap).

Most people who play don’t care about our little monopoly mini-government, and most of them don’t even read the rules now, they just play in good faith which is all I really ask of for people who are here to have fun.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #409896

Ideally we could reduce things to rule 0 and 1 but we can't. Despite admin differences, they all should be looking at common factors as part of basic procedure and variation in rulings shouldn't be drastically different if they adhere to it. Opening this standard procedure to approaching issues to the public should only be helpful.

While the rules don't get used often they get used often enough to have threads on it so there is no question of why not improving them.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #409897

Sorry I forgot to quote the post about having it as a forward.

I don’t mind if it’s on the rules direct
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #409910

It would be an edit or addition to the main page
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #409929

It could be added but i really hate making the rules page longer since it's already too long for a 2d atmos simulator imo
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #409969

That last rule sounds pretty harsh, If I accidentally icky in oocky an admin can give me the ban hammer? That sucks.
► Show Spoiler
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #409975

they can but it doesnt mean they will. ive seen several people get banned for a long chain of accidental IC in OOC.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #409976

No it's a will ban for you specifically
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #409981

Shadowflame909 wrote:That last rule sounds pretty harsh, If I accidentally icky in oocky an admin can give me the ban hammer? That sucks.
Depends on the admin but if it was harmless icky ocky and you have enough of a reason they should not have banned you right there you can contest it
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #409987

I like the idea but I guarantee that a lot of the playerbase will tl;dr
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #410013

imblyings wrote:No it's a will ban for you specifically
Ok, that's pretty harsh considering the OOC and say verb are right next to each other...
► Show Spoiler
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #410035

better be careful then m80, we're going to be lenient for everyone except you

tldr is an issue that can be mitigated- there's some truth to the rules not really being read by players who'd rather just jump in and play on good faith but any time the rules are being read we may as well make them good
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #410069

the tldr here is dont be a cunt
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #410076

strongly support this idea
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #410077

I'm starting to think goof was right...
► Show Spoiler
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #411112

Rule 0: Enforcement of these rules and intervention ingame is at the discretion of admins. SS13 and our server experiences and encourages a wide variety of possible player interactions. Admins also apply their own experiences and a common approach when answering ahelps or intervening ingame. Enforcement and intervention will not always be exactly the same. Admins have complete freedom in their actions but at all times should do so in the best interests of /tg/. Where possible, each rule has a more detailed explanation and some long-standing precedents in the sections below written for those with a bit too much time or good-natured patience.
I'm going to post more suggested rewrites of the rules as time goes by, bar the silicon section maybe security, as however messy the silicon rules are I've never found reason to fault them.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #411245

why is this not done yet
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #411248

do people read the rules
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #411950

Bluespace wrote:ausops once again being the only person in the community able to effectively handle policy
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #413529

Yeah it's fine as it stands. This can be added to the rules.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #413531

you didn't get this at all
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413532

oranges is not wrong
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #413631

citrus didn't read the title

but oranges did

how can this be
fosstar
Byond Username: Fosstar

Post by fosstar » #420414

imblyings wrote:-snip-
This but unironically.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #420445

What about the dreaded
Spoiler:
Silicon Policy
?
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #421877

personaly i dont think rules are needed
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me