Should an involuntary polymorph make you an antag?

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Should an involuntary polymorph make you an antag?

Post by CitrusGender » #413093

Since there was a disagreement between headmins/gamemasters:

Should you be allowed to become an antag if the wizard turns you into something with the staff of change? Obviously, the current precedent is that yes it does, though some people have expressed their concerns differently.

What do you all think?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Should an involuntary polymorph make you an antag?

Post by Armhulen » #413095

if you change this, you break my heart.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #413096

any polymorph shoudl make you antag
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #413098

Armhulen wrote:if you change this, you break my heart.
I dunno. There was just a disagreement between admins. I don't particularly lean either way.
oranges wrote:any polymorph shoudl make you antag
Voluntary polymorphs should not, god no.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #413101

If it didn't make antags then it'd be useless dum dums
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #413102

it's easy to abuse as in just standing there until you get converted but i don't think it's inherently bad
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #413103

It's already current policy and it reminds me of when summon guns wouldn't actually antag people unless I'm hallucinating, just resulted in everyone hunting the wizard with more guns. Involuntary conversion causing chaos seems like it's part of the point of the staff, unless the point is to basically make it simple for newer players to understand across both involuntary and voluntary conversion with not an antag/an antag.

Don't like any changes myself due to how messy it can get and how validhunty a transformed xeno/drake/syndiborg might be but i'm willing to change my mind.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #413104

Having an item that can pump problematic pseudoantags into the round is not a good idea
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #413105

CitrusGender wrote:
I dunno. There was just a disagreement between admins. I don't particularly lean either way.
wrong
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #413106

oranges wrote:
CitrusGender wrote:
wrong
We would have to remove the transform bolt from the carp or make xenobio transforms specifically not make people antags or something or else xenobiology would run around antagging themselves and then running around killing people as a drake or a syndiborg or something
Krusvik
Byond Username: Krusvik

Post by Krusvik » #413108

I'm not sure how to approach this so we should chemically deconstruct it.

What's the ideal result of being polymorphed?

1.) What benefits the player most?

2.) What benefits the round most?

3.) What are the concerns for the player?

4.) What are the concerns for the round?

Player is the one polymorphed in this circumstance, the round contains the narrative and the antagonists.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #413109

going to have to agree with the frog on this one. Current policy seems fine. I could potentially see a reason not to antag involuntary polymorph victims, but I think that would just make wizard rounds even more insufferable.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #413125

The way its was explained to me when I was a trialmin was that involuntary transform only antag you if its a mob that is known for aggroing humans or otherwise being hostile to humans.

The thinking behind this was just that such mobs are generally going to get attacked on first sight before its known they are under the control of a player simply because thats the trained meta, so giving such mobs a fair chance at life was reasonable, and it allows the player to decide to just RP as that mob. It was more that players seeking or asking to be changed was exempted from the above policy under common sense.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #413285

If your role is inherently antagonistic (alien, slime, etc.) then as long as you did not purposefully get converted you should be free.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #413287

MrStonedOne wrote:The way its was explained to me when I was a trialmin was that involuntary transform only antag you if its a mob that is known for aggroing humans or otherwise being hostile to humans.

The thinking behind this was just that such mobs are generally going to get attacked on first sight before its known they are under the control of a player simply because thats the trained meta, so giving such mobs a fair chance at life was reasonable, and it allows the player to decide to just RP as that mob. It was more that players seeking or asking to be changed was exempted from the above policy under common sense.
I like this line of thinking.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #413327

MrStonedOne wrote:The way its was explained to me when I was a trialmin was that involuntary transform only antag you if its a mob that is known for aggroing humans or otherwise being hostile to humans.

That's a really interesting change, though that would technically require us to define which mobs changed by the staff of change/normal polymorphs are mobs "known for aggroing humans" (not really in the rules but just for clarity sake.) I can get behind this. Though, that kinda shafts players over even moreso when they get mobs like monkeys and stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #413350

It’s not meant to be fair
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #413376

Mind you this was also before polymorphed mobs kept their original name.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
zaracka
Byond Username: Zaracka

Post by zaracka » #413381

reading the reasons for the original/current(?) policy, i would like to add that sentient xenobiology mobs are virtually the same even though this policy doesn't apply to them

correct me if i'm wrong

my personal opinion is that if you don't have notes/memories, TP antag status, or in-chat flavor text, you're not an antagonist. if you get valided then whatever, rule 10. you were lucky enough to get hit with a polymorph spell instead of a death bolt. self-defense would be allowed obviously, as it is the case with sentient xeno mobs i believe.

genetics monkeys are valid when there's lings about, maybe when there's not too (possibly depends on which admin you ask). not everyone is going to be robust enough to know you're sentient. genetics monkeys aren't antags though, or are they? assume involuntary monkeyfication, not voluntary. mob escalation applies in these cases, not polymorph antag policy.

i guess polymorphing someone would be the same as killing them in this situation, if isn't treated this way already
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #413391

A monkey can monkey, and do anything incharacter for a monkey. Randomly attacking human beans is not incharacter for a monkey.

A spider can spider, and do anything in character for a spider, randomly attacking humans is in character for a spider.

We just exempt intentional transforms because it is never good when a player can self antag.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #413398

zaracka wrote:reading the reasons for the original/current(?) policy, i would like to add that sentient xenobiology mobs are virtually the same even though this policy doesn't apply to them

correct me if i'm wrong

my personal opinion is that if you don't have notes/memories, TP antag status, or in-chat flavor text, you're not an antagonist. if you get valided then whatever, rule 10. you were lucky enough to get hit with a polymorph spell instead of a death bolt. self-defense would be allowed obviously, as it is the case with sentient xeno mobs i believe.

genetics monkeys are valid when there's lings about, maybe when there's not too (possibly depends on which admin you ask). not everyone is going to be robust enough to know you're sentient. genetics monkeys aren't antags though, or are they? assume involuntary monkeyfication, not voluntary. mob escalation applies in these cases, not polymorph antag policy.

i guess polymorphing someone would be the same as killing them in this situation, if isn't treated this way already
sentiencing binds you to the whims of the xenobiologist, the poly staff does not bind you to anything.

There's only admin discretion on the matter so you're not wrong in how you view the situation, but I don't think the SoC is worth anything if the only thing to do with the newfound powers is hunt the wizard.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #413504

CitrusGender wrote:

That's a really interesting change, though that would technically require us to define which mobs changed by the staff of change/normal polymorphs are mobs "known for aggroing humans" (not really in the rules but just for clarity sake.) I can get behind this. Though, that kinda shafts players over even moreso when they get mobs like monkeys and stuff.
I see the headadmins are still trying to define everything down to the last letter :roll:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #413517

Use common sense, seriously
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #413613

PKPenguin321 wrote:Use common sense, seriously
should be the rule
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #413616

Its been established the average player doesn't have a headmins common sense already
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #413619

Nilons wrote:Its been established the average player doesn't have a headmins common sense already
the idea is that as long as people play in good faith you don't need to look at the rules page, that's what i'm hoping for
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #413629

this is basically how it works and has always worked, plus the added caveat that if you beg people to polymorph you just so you can go on an antag killing spree, then you get your shit slapped
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #414031

yeah MSO has the right idea, players should never be forced through no fault of their own into a situation where they're valid for the entire crew but cant fight back
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MaximumOverlizard
Byond Username: MaximumOverlizard

Post by MaximumOverlizard » #414848

Bans for people who ask to be polymorphed into Syndicate Cyborgs then follow their laws because "They're my laws lol" when?
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #414851

MaximumOverlizard wrote:Bans for people who ask to be polymorphed into Syndicate Cyborgs then follow their laws because "They're my laws lol" when?
Poly'd borgs don't get any laws.
zaracka

Post by zaracka » #414907

the point I'm making is that there are other situations where you have to deal with being a non-antagonist that's valid, so it's not actually that much of an issue in my eyes. however, RPing as whatever mob is an interesting approach, but this doesn't make much sense because polymorphed players can speak Galactic Common and keep their human names. it seems it would make more sense RP-wise, if you're just your old character stuck in a new body

whether SoC should be making antags for the sake of antags isn't a terrible conversation, my opinion is that it shouldn't though
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #415296

At the very least, involuntary polymorphs should be able to attack the polymorpher and defend themselves against people who attack it.
...although that's not really helpful when you're a xeno or a spider.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #415565

What causes involuntary polymorphs?

1: A wizard - the antag chosen for the round, using a staff he spent spell points on. This should probably let you attack the crew, otherwise it becomes one of the worst wizard spell point options, especially after the free drone (or xenomorph) he created decides to hunt him down.

2: A sentient carp being an idiot. Ok, realistically this shouldn't let you be an antag, and should result in a ghost ban or at least a bwoinking for the sentient carp or whoever created him.

3: An evil xenobiologist with a carp minion or that turns people into slimes- This is a way to antag that isnt flooding the station with hostile mobs, and isn't used very often. It should at least work well.
zaracka

Post by zaracka » #415677

definitely, it's the same as killing you in my opinion. if it was an accident, admins can treat it as such and ignore it or whatever. at the very least, it's "wronging" you to a high degree. mob escalation is a thing, I think. more relaxed than normal escalation 'cause not everyone is going to know you're sentient right away or maybe you're straight up valid, whatever... more fun that way, instead of you're an antag, kill everyone

tldr yeah you can still defend yourself

there's nothing stopping antags from hunting the wizard anyway. also, i don't think i've ever seen someone see their coworker turn into whatever and immediately opt to kill them. from my experience, most people see your human name and hear you talking normally so they figure you're not an antagonist and just polymorphed. all this does currently is allow people who know about the rule to murderbone. in the rare case that you're attacked unprovoked, fight back

if we want people killing polymorphed players on sight and basically turning wizard rounds into an even bigger deathmatch than it already is if there's survivalists, then whatever, keep the rule. i honestly don't see what's so enticing about being a xeno without a queen, syndiborg without nuke ops, or a slime killing everyone in sight... unless the whole point is for the crew to drop what they're doing and fight these new antags?

i'm starting to think this rule is to prevent all the ahelps that'll happen when polymorphed players defend themselves. anyway, if this rule sticks, someone should add flavor text similar to zombie reanimation that lets you know about it with a "if you got changed voluntarily, you're not an antagonist" clause to make the rule more obvious