Allowing security officers into perma

Should we change perma-brig policy to reflect gameplay/space law

No we should not change a thing. It is fine as is.
25%
25%
25%
We should change policy and law to keep up with coding and game-play mechanics
4%
4%
4%
We should change coding to reflect space law and policy
4%
4%
4%

Total votes: 93

cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Allowing security officers into perma

Post by cultist-chan » #39713

The current official rules:

Brig and Brigging Procedures

It is expected that brigging procedures, including any punishments, are not unfairly excessive or unjustifiable in nature.
Bucklecuffing for periods that go beyond removing inmate handling is excessive, unless the prisoner is deemed hostile.
Confiscated items, that are important and/or department-specific, such as engineering spacesuits, are to be returned to their department.
Where possible, permabrig sentences are to be authorized by, in order of availability: Captain/acting Captain → Head of Security → Warden.
Security reserve the right to carry out permabrig sentences, without authorization, in the case of potential significant risk or extraordinary circumstances.
Autonomous decisions from security personnel to carry out permabrig sentences do so without the protection of authorization, so it is in the best interest of those making the decision to ensure it is justifiable.

Space law states

Capital Crimes

These crimes can result in Execution, Permanent Prison Time, Permanent Labor Camp Time, or Cyborgization.
Only the Captain, HoS, and Warden can authorize a Permanent Sentence.
Only the Captain can authorize an Execution or Forced Cyborgization.

Why do regular security officers have access to perma-brig or labor camp then?

My personal thoughts: Either policy should be changed, or access should be changed. I lean towards the latter in restricting access. Feel free to comment.
Last edited by cultist-chan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: Allowing security officers into perma

Post by Scott » #39717

Because gameplay.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #39718

In case of emergency loss of security heads, or to follow their orders allowing them to deal with other issues. To protect these regions and suppress any rebellion within them.

Also nice to have extra places to put serious prisoners if the brig is damaged so you don't end up attached to Ivana Murderbabies at the hip for the transgression of catching them. An officer who can't stash prisoners is likely to kill the violent ones.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Post by cultist-chan » #39719

Ya know what. Lets poll this
Incomptinence wrote:In case of emergency loss of security heads, or to follow their orders allowing them to deal with other issues. To protect these regions and suppress any rebellion within them.

Also nice to have extra places to put serious prisoners if the brig is damaged so you don't end up attached to Ivana Murderbabies at the hip for the transgression of catching them. An officer who can't stash prisoners is likely to kill the violent ones.
Can't you know, ask for head access if you are that low on officers? If I find I don't have space for a prisoner usually theres a couple places I can hold them, like the interogation room for one.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #39729

Security reserve the right to carry out permabrig sentences, without authorization, in the case of potential significant risk or extraordinary circumstances.
Autonomous decisions from security personnel to carry out permabrig sentences do so without the protection of authorization, so it is in the best interest of those making the decision to ensure it is justifiable.
If you get permabrigged and you weren't antag or a massive shit, ahelp it. Otherwise git gud and stop getting caught. Security really doesn't need even more limitations to do their job. They're already the most scrutinized department by both players and admins, while anyone else can kill you on the spot when you're caught being an antag and nobody will even bat an eye.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #39745

All of sec should be able to go past the double doors, including the lawyer.

However, the cells themselves should be warden-only. That's like, half of his job.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #39746

I can think of many situations where Security has needed to access perma where the HoS/Warden were unavailable (or were the one's in trouble).

Generally you are right in that the Warden should be handling any perma sentences, but we don't live in a ideal world and we cannot account for the random factor that occurs when you play Security and the general unpredictability of a round.

There is little difference between a Security Officer putting you into perma, and the Head of Security putting you into perma. You'll likely get the same sentence either way.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39759

Policy (and space law if that's even important here) only requires that those perma or gulag sentences are authorized by the Captain/HoS/Warden. There's no obligation for any of those to execute the sentence personally. It would be pointlessly cumbersome to require any of them to manually place prisoners in the cells and manage them manually when HoS and Warden jobs are more about traffic control in the brig than the mechanical parts of brigging.

Also, assuming that the warden and HoS are the only ones with access to the permabrig common area or cells (for some reason) and one is attacked, it would require extra access that a normal SO doesn't have to free them and by then its too late. Perma's now armed and has more access to sec than sec does. Same goes for the gulag. Setting up gulag cards and sentences is already cumbersome and involved. Setting it so that only a couple people can even process prisoners for those locations would just make an underused feature even moreso.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #39770

Solution: The warden's office shouldn't be such a long walk away from the permabrig
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #39804

We don't always have a warden. I see no problem in the security officers having access to the permabrig. Not to mention that it's often the place when prisoners try to fight back and escape. The standard officers being denied the right to access that area could be critical.
In other words: Things are fine like they are.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #39839

I would personally say allow any officer to use the gulag for any semi serious sentence like say assault and up as long as they give a reasonable points card, Maybe have recommended setting for certain crimes on the machine. Add more quality of life (arcade, plants) stuff to gulag so extra rebellious trypes can choose to scorn THE MAN and stay there like beatniks.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #39854

Incomptinence wrote:I would personally say allow any officer to use the gulag for any semi serious sentence like say assault and up as long as they give a reasonable points card, Maybe have recommended setting for certain crimes on the machine. Add more quality of life (arcade, plants) stuff to gulag so extra rebellious trypes can choose to scorn THE MAN and stay there like beatniks.
But there are still no mining scanners in the gulag, I was told like months ago that they will be added "soon".
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Dorsidwarf

Post by Dorsidwarf » #39861

The poll is confusing and not directly relatable to the issue at hand, and has no " I do not care" abstain.

That aside, I support the perma wing being officer access but the cells being warden only. If a warden runs in alone without telling the HOS/AI and having failed to remove the soap and gets slipped, stripped, and swirlied, then they kinda deserve to be left face down in the smallest room. The brig is your resource. Manage it.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #39872

No scanners, ugh. The whole scanner system is crap and should be removed.

Making gulag torture so we can't put anyone in it, thanks ergo once a-bloody-gain.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #39926

Seriously guys? Stop trying to shit on security with useless policies/nerfs like this.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #39927

Incomptinence wrote:I would personally say allow any officer to use the gulag for any semi serious sentence like say assault and up as long as they give a reasonable points card, Maybe have recommended setting for certain crimes on the machine. Add more quality of life (arcade, plants) stuff to gulag so extra rebellious trypes can choose to scorn THE MAN and stay there like beatniks.
The problem is very few people know how the gulag system works. Officers aren't really reliable to set the right points because the point system is a very odd thing for the gulag mining...

1000 points in mining? Five minutes.

1000 points in the gulag? 10+
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #39987

And how are prisoners to know if the officer got proper authorization or not?
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #39996

Well I still think lawyers should be able to go past the double doors and at least talk to perma'd people
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #40157

space law isnt the rules
officers can do what the rules say, or follow space law
both are allowed
it just comes down to personal preference
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #40291

Having only the HoS and warden be able to access perma is just way too impractical. And that's on top the guaranteed unrobust plebs who get slipped and killed in perma, only now the sec officers will be standing at the doors with their dicks in their hands, waiting on the AI.

On metastation, there is a piece of paper/book that explains how the gulag system works.Put that on box, the gulag is great, although I think the exit room needs a locker(s) that can be keyed to prisoner ID's.
Murazor
Byond Username: Murazor

Post by Murazor » #40831

This is asking for a warden or a HoS to get murdered with no backup, plus if the HoS/Warden are unavailable to perma an antag, then where do we put them?
ImageImageImage
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40842

Murazor wrote:This is asking for a warden or a HoS to get murdered with no backup, plus if the HoS/Warden are unavailable to perma an antag, then where do we put them?
Supposedly you'd make the captain do it. Good luck with that. Personally, I've delegated the process of permaing some criminals to officers under my command as HoS/Warden because I've got my hands full processing the other criminals pouring into the brig at busy times. Cult rounds are especially busy like this. If I had to personally stuff every cultist into a cell while their holy water treatment ran its course we'd never have an efficient "non-shitcurity" brig process in these rounds because I'd be busy moving people personally to and from cells instead of directing traffic. Rev and Cult would be even more of Security's Wild Ride than it already is. The current arrangement is fine as it is now. There are already rules and procedures in place to prevent SOs from improperly permaing people already and SOs having perma access benefits everyone except the inmates that want to get that lucky disarm spam escape on a lone warden or something.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #40978

This is a proposed change for sake of making a proposed change, there is no large on going issue with officers permaing people (and if you think there is you've clearly never played back in donut brig days, where every sentence was a perma sentence)

If the officers did loose perma access what are they meant to do when the Warden gets his dumb arse slipped and quick choked, stand outside the door and lick the airlock window?
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #41043

paprika wrote:All of sec should be able to go past the double doors, including the lawyer.

However, the cells themselves should be warden-only. That's like, half of his job.
I agree. HoS/Warden need backup from Officers from time to time, but don't need cell access to actually perma anyone. Lawyers should be able to talk to prisoners. Officers can keep Labor Camp access because Labor Camp is not only for permanent sentences.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41044

kosmos wrote:
paprika wrote:All of sec should be able to go past the double doors, including the lawyer.

I agree. HoS/Warden need backup from Officers from time to time, but don't need cell access to actually perma anyone. Lawyers should be able to talk to prisoners. Officers can keep Labor Camp access because Labor Camp is not only for permanent sentences.
See my last post. There are many times where the warden would want to delegate or make use of perma for both permanent and non-permanent sentences. Locking SOs out of perma is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

That's something I'd like stated before more people weigh in their vague opinions about who needs what access. What is the problem that removing perma access from SOs would solve?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #41058

The warden being fucking useless and everyone going past him as robust mcredshirt to perma people wordlessly without ever talking to the warden/HoS unless they're directly in the room?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #41070

The suggestion solves a problem that does not exist.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41144

paprika wrote:The warden being fucking useless and everyone going past him as robust mcredshirt to perma people wordlessly without ever talking to the warden/HoS unless they're directly in the room?
What Steelpoint said. You have a shitty warden, not a problem that can or should be "fixed" with code. If the warden doesn't know who is entering and leaving his brig, or worse, his permabrig, then you've found your real problem. Frankly, I'd just start ordering officers to get perma access from the HoP if it were removed just to return basic brig control procedure to normal.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #41574

I thought that was standard operating procedure anyway
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41591

paprika wrote:I thought that was standard operating procedure anyway
We need to implement this in policy immediately.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #41606

Thats SOP for when the Brig is bombed, just like Dwarf Fortress - no jails or chains = summary beatings