Is roundstart /immediately/ burning the xeno egg (if it even spawns) bad?

Zack
Byond Username: Zack The Zapper

Is roundstart /immediately/ burning the xeno egg (if it even spawns) bad?

Post by Zack » #426545

Alright. I get 90% of the players probably hate xenos, mostly for valid reasons, but please hear me out on this.

For the past umpteenth rounds over the past MONTH that a xeno egg has spawned in xenobiology, from my experience, without fail, someone, somewhere, came to immediately fill the containment room with plasma and burn it.

Yes, I know xenos are intended to be round enders, and yes, they will probably escape containment somehow regardless if precautions aren't taken, but it's gotten to the point where I have not yet seen a round in a month where the xeno egg actually survived for more than 10 minutes. Why is this event even included if players are 99 times out of 100 (which it's rare to begin with) are just going to toss aside and destroy it?

I'm not saying it's straight up metagaming (because the crew knows xenos are dangerous and antags), but this feels a lot like the whole replacing the plasma pipe in atmos to cripple the AI. Bad comparison given the circumstances, I'm aware, but the similarities are there.

They could just refuse to feed the egg until they're prepared, and even if they do feed it early, the only natural problem they have is running out of power for the shield generators. A competent xenobiologist would already have yellow slime cores by this time and could easily replace the APC's cell, making power a nonissue. This applies even if engineering is absolutely awful. Even in the event that noone wanted to be a xenobiologist, then the egg could just sit in the chamber the entire round and nothing would change from normal.

Despite what I might've implied, I'm not saying the crew should be forced to take care of it. Just that as far as this summer has been the crew has essentially 100% chosen to not take care of it. Round ending events from admins are objectively more common than any xenobiology egg even birthing one facehugger. Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this is kind of annoying.

tl;dr:
Maybe it's the salt over this whole thing talking but I feel the xeno egg spawn in xenobiology should either just be removed or some policy set on not just immediately purging it because as it is it feels like it doesn't really exist at all. It's insane how often it's just incinerated to save the crew stress. It's killing one of the already few ghost roles that usually occur in a round, and making the entire chamber built to do this exact one thing also completely useless.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: Is roundstart /immediately/ burning the xeno egg (if it even spawns) bad?

Post by Dax Dupont » #426552

Most of the time I don't see it burnt at roundstart. Also the atmos pipe compare is dumb as hell.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #426553

It should be a science decision, but i'm not going to force people to not break it.

You can absolutely valid someone if you are a scientist and say an engineer destroys the rare and precious item immediately though.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Zack

Post by Zack » #426558

Dax Dupont wrote:Most of the time I don't see it burnt at roundstart.
I'll chalk it up to cosmically insane bad luck on my part then.
Dax Dupont wrote:Also the atmos pipe compare is dumb as hell.
It's the same mindset. They're nipping something in the bud so they don't have to deal with it later. Doing it for a xeno isn't breaking any rules, but it happens so often it's starting to feel like it. That's what I mean.
Cobby wrote:You can absolutely valid someone if you are a scientist and say an engineer destroys the rare and precious item immediately though.
But the most recent time it was a borg. How do you even deal with that? I mean they were following their laws I guess but you cant just valid a borg for doing it I'd imagine.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #426571

xenos are cancer and anyone who permanently removes xenos from a round has made that round objectively better

one day you too will understand this and you will become the person who burns the egg
Zack

Post by Zack » #426572

subject217 wrote:xenos are cancer and anyone who permanently removes xenos from a round has made that round objectively better

one day you too will understand this and you will become the person who burns the egg
I mean, that's part of my point though. If many people feel the same way you do then why not just remove it so it wont even be a waste of time. There really isn't a point for there to be like a 2% chance (correct me if im wrong) of it spawning only for it to be burned a percentage of the time many times that one.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #426590

>Then why not just remove it

Some coders are in love with there op round ender vore machines.

There are ALOT of ways to get xenos, its silly actually. You can get them from lavaland, You can get them from the meateor event. The xeno event, and the roundstart xenobio egg. I guess thats just 4, but they can be pretty common. It may be fun to be one, but its never fun to play against. At best its just a hassle, that you'd rather not deal with.

The point is we should all be blaming whichever maintainer enjoys these guys.
► Show Spoiler
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #426597

Whether they're in the game is up to the coders. Whether you can break it is up to the admins. I'd never tell people not to break it, fuck xenos.
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #426602

Xenos are just another antag, and antags are generally not fun to play against since you are always at a disadvantage by default (noslips, stuns, eswords, magic missiles, chunky ass blobs etc.).
That being said, it's entirely within reason to burn the egg and entirely within reason to not burn it. You could, for instance, make a xeno brain transplant as a scientist for shits and giggles, extract their hive glands or make a xeno zoo. Or you could just say "fuck it", not take the risk, and burn the egg.
Just leave it up to players, shouldn't be a policy issue. The only time admins should intervene is if a nonantag scientist just releases them.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #426615

Zack wrote:I mean, that's part of my point though. If many people feel the same way you do then why not just remove it so it wont even be a waste of time. There really isn't a point for there to be like a 2% chance (correct me if im wrong) of it spawning only for it to be burned a percentage of the time many times that one.
it drives conflict in the round and it's sometimes funny to watch new players try to do xenos. it's not really the end of the world either way, so why remove it?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #426632

Yeah let's just destroy something that might actually cause something to happen in a round. God forbid any conflict were to happen in SS13.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #426641

DrPillzRedux wrote:Yeah let's just destroy something that might actually cause something to happen in a round. God forbid any conflict were to happen in SS13.
It can't do anything in the round unless you go to the cage, in which case you'd only go to the cage if there's an egg in there.
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #426663

DrPillzRedux wrote:Yeah let's just destroy something that might actually cause something to happen in a round. God forbid any conflict were to happen in SS13.
You haven't played in over a year. Why even post on this thread? It obviously has nothing to do with you.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #426707

DrPillzRedux wrote:Yeah let's just destroy something that might actually cause something to happen in a round.
Rarely plays.

Literally the first thing people do with egg is jump into pen and get impregnated. Borderline self-antaging (but technically not). If you want to have Xenos, devise some mechanics for science to work on them. Experiment and shit, surgery. CM style.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #426715

Lumbermancer wrote:
DrPillzRedux wrote:Yeah let's just destroy something that might actually cause something to happen in a round.
Rarely plays.

Literally the first thing people do with egg is jump into pen and get impregnated. Borderline self-antaging (but technically not). If you want to have Xenos, devise some mechanics for science to work on them. Experiment and shit, surgery. CM style.
There are already the stupidly powerful xeno organs that can be harvested from dead aliens.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #426716

Yeah but organs are just for powergaming, not science. Make researching them unlock some special projects or something. Have an aditional step between Xenos and benefits.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #426747

Xeno organs can be sold at cargo for big bucks and are a common bounty if I'm not mistaken.

Also @zack the xeno egg definitely spawns far more often than you think it does, it just gets missed/ignored most of the time because nobody uses its chamber unless they're a shitter who's spawning magicarp
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #426863

Zack wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:Also the atmos pipe compare is dumb as hell.
It's the same mindset. They're nipping something in the bud so they don't have to deal with it later. Doing it for a xeno isn't breaking any rules, but it happens so often it's starting to feel like it. That's what I mean.
Not really, xeno egg is a ghost role antag like ash lizards and don't have any protection against getting obliterated before they even exist.

(Rogue) AIs are a traitor's tool and/or an antag that's present during the normal going of the round. They exist. Xeno antags do not exist till they hatch.

If you can't understand the difference between fucking over someone's round with destroying something that has nobody attached to it, since that only happens after hatching, then oh boy I'm disappointed.

Also PS: as others said, people almost immediately jump into it and borderline antag roll. The burning I've seen a handful of times.

What is common however is people letting it become a xeno and then burn it for those sweet sweet organs.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #426865

it's basically antag rolling! The admin rulings just don't treat it as such...Hey, that'd be a great policy discussion.
► Show Spoiler
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #426872

IC issue

It's basically destroying a valuable research specimen and you're liable to the Cap/RD/Xenobiologist/whoever is in charge if you burnt it without their say-so.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #426881

Anonmare wrote:IC issue

It's basically destroying a valuable research specimen and you're liable to the Cap/RD/Xenobiologist/whoever is in charge if you burnt it without their say-so.
This, as a miner I saw fellow miners and a borg trying to bring back facehuggers from the Xeno ruin on lavaland under the RD's orders. I welded the lockerx and spaced it as soon as the shuttle left, I ended up getting sent to perma by the RD.
► Show Spoiler
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #426884

>Science officer not watching the xeno pen like a hawk

The absolute state of modern security
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #426909

subject217 wrote:xenos are cancer and anyone who permanently removes xenos from a round has made that round objectively better

says the newfag admin
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #426924

From an in character perspective, why wouldn't you kill the egg that houses a man-hunting space monster?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #426928

This is one of those things that polices conflict and forces players to take certain courses of action if it's left to policy.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #426993

PKPenguin321 wrote:From an in character perspective, why wouldn't you kill the egg that houses a man-hunting space monster?
Because Nanotrasen wants you to make a profit out of those man-hunting space monsters, if a few no-name stations get lost in the process then so be it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #427008

Anonmare wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:From an in character perspective, why wouldn't you kill the egg that houses a man-hunting space monster?
Because Nanotrasen wants you to make a profit out of those man-hunting space monsters, if a few no-name stations get lost in the process then so be it.
>plasma research facility
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427014

SPEED DE-MERGE
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #427053

because by the time it gets announced a swarm of not scientists and not antags will swarm xenobio to get impreganted
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #427065

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
>xenos generate plasma internally
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #427066

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
tbf you're the one who asked for an IC reason :^)
Shadowflame909 wrote:it's basically antag rolling! The admin rulings just don't treat it as such...Hey, that'd be a great policy discussion.
Not really, it's just a chance for a new (to the particular round) type of conflict to occur. That would be different than lavaland roles bumrushing the xeno ruin to implant themselves.
Lumbermancer wrote:Yeah but organs are just for powergaming, not science. Make researching them unlock some special projects or something. Have an aditional step between Xenos and benefits.
Giving them a nice tech web bounty would be a relatively easy step.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #427091

Cobby wrote:Giving them a nice tech web bounty would be a relatively easy step.
I would like to see Xenobiology doing fully fledged Xeno farming, like in Alien Ressurection. It could even naturally spin into mode in itself, when shit hits the fan. So much better than dumb griff ghosts, swarmers and other nonsense.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427109

Lumbermancer wrote:
Cobby wrote:Giving them a nice tech web bounty would be a relatively easy step.
I would like to see Xenobiology doing fully fledged Xeno farming, like in Alien Ressurection. It could even naturally spin into mode in itself, when shit hits the fan. So much better than dumb griff ghosts, swarmers and other nonsense.
every round ends in mass death of all crew if this happens
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #427112

How do you figure if it’s like a 2% chance
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427121

i was talking about lumbermancers idea of literally turning xenobio into xenomorph biology by having sentient xeno farming every shift as a main job
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #427142

No no, I mean when egg happens. So instead slimes they do xeno. Not replace Xeno slime business entirely.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #427217

It's extreme greifing in my view. Not to the point where it becomes an OOC issue, but enough to basically make you instantly valid once you do it. Kind of on par with ordering a shitty shuttle.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #427353

subject217 wrote:
You haven't played in over a year. Why even post on this thread? It obviously has nothing to do with you.
>haven't played in over a year

I play at least once a month, thanks. I have rarely plays because I told kor to give it to me over steam messages.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #427373

DrPillzRedux wrote:
subject217 wrote:
>haven't played in over a year

I play at least once a month, thanks. I have rarely plays because I told kor to give it to me over steam messages.
if you play once a month what are the odds youll have played any round with xenos in them for the last year
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #427375

Is that one ROUND per month or one sitting to play per month, either way these are easy statistics.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #427386

Pillz' actual experience in game aside, our rules make it pretty clear that players are entitled to know exactly what the xeno eggs are about, and what exactly they can do. I can't see myself punishing someone for destroying the egg anymore then I can see punishing someone for destroying a swarmer shell or incinerating a corpse they see get bitten by a changeling headslug.

If the egg is such a bad round influence that people are just destroying it every round it appears (which isn't my experience) then ultimately it'd be a code solution to alter the egg's spawn chances, its location, or remove it entirely, not a policy solution to punish people for doing a pretty straightforward thing that falls under common sense.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #427390

Tl;dr if you're not a scientist or if you're doing it just to fuck with another scientist and you burn the egg you're valid salid. I doubt we need any other ruling.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427393

Dax Dupont wrote:Tl;dr if you're not a scientist or if you're doing it just to fuck with another scientist and you burn the egg you're valid salid. I doubt we need any other ruling.
Bad ruling. I've gotten spaced by the RD as a miner for tossing xeno facehuggers into hyperspace via the mining shuttle. But I think that's wrong. >Hurr-durr no xeno infestation here just money and powergame everything will go right but it never does.

Is the worst mentality, ever! It always goes wrong, there has never been a round with xeno farming that didn't end with xenos killing everyone.

The only argument I've seen in favor of this is that people love to get free antagonist rolls. I thought coders were anti-conversion because of this same reasoning?
► Show Spoiler
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #427405

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:Tl;dr if you're not a scientist or if you're doing it just to fuck with another scientist and you burn the egg you're valid salid. I doubt we need any other ruling.
Bad ruling. I've gotten spaced by the RD as a miner for tossing xeno facehuggers into hyperspace via the mining shuttle. But I think that's wrong. >Hurr-durr no xeno infestation here just money and powergame everything will go right but it never does.

Is the worst mentality, ever! It always goes wrong, there has never been a round with xeno farming that didn't end with xenos killing everyone.

The only argument I've seen in favor of this is that people love to get free antagonist rolls. I thought coders were anti-conversion because of this same reasoning?
So you weren't a scientist and you broke/trespassed into xenobiology, fucked with their shit and you're surprised you got shlonged?
6. You may defend your workplace from trespassers who damage or steal property within that space with significantly greater force than elsewhere. If someone is severely disruptive and returns after ejected, this opens them up to "fun" of the creative workplace death variety
Why are miners always so entitled to everything I'll never know.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427407

Dax Dupont wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
snap
So you weren't a scientist and you broke/trespassed into xenobiology, fucked with their shit and you're surprised you got shlonged?
6. You may defend your workplace from trespassers who damage or steal property within that space with significantly greater force than elsewhere. If someone is severely disruptive and returns after ejected, this opens them up to "fun" of the creative workplace death variety
No idoit I was a miner who saw a mining borg and fellow miners bringing back facehuggers in a locker from lavaland to the station under the RDs orders. Which I then promptly spaced as soon as the shuttle left. This brings up a good question though. Since that rule can clearly be abused via "This item is in my jurisdiction now try to stop me and prepare to get non antag griffed by the rules" I don't like this way of thinking dax, spawning a singulo in the middle of science and then tiding people who try to stop you wouldn't make any sense. So why should it be ok here?
► Show Spoiler
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #427418

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
snap
No idoit I was a miner who saw a mining borg and fellow miners bringing back facehuggers in a locker from lavaland to the station under the RDs orders. Which I then promptly spaced as soon as the shuttle left. This brings up a good question though. Since that rule can clearly be abused via "This item is in my jurisdiction now try to stop me and prepare to get non antag griffed by the rules" I don't like this way of thinking dax, spawning a singulo in the middle of science and then tiding people who try to stop you wouldn't make any sense. So why should it be ok here?
this thread is literally about xeno eggs spawning in xenobio, if you're bringing back xenos from lavaland you don't have /any/ real protection under the workplace clausule. Mining shuttle is not a science workplace.

Also don't bother with hyperbole memes because these things are always to be taking within a certain moderation. The whole OH SO THAT MEANS I CAN DO X is the best way to get an admin groan because people are too dumb to understand it's not just black/white but a whole spectrum of colors.

I'll boil it down to this simple drawing, I've tried my best to emulate a 5 year old to keep it simple.

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427420

What do you mean by "doing it to be a cunt" If the scientist kills the egg. That the RD wanted to powergame with the RD's gonna treat him valid 100 percent of the time. Along with the xenobiologist who enjoys seeing xenos break out.

Also tbh, I'd much rather always jump into xenobio and kill the egg. I enjoy long rounds and don't want everything to die 30 minutes in, Dax. Frequent lavaland xeno rounds have really caused me to despise such a overpowered antagonist that was built to end rounds. Yet can appear very early into it with multiple ways to do so.
► Show Spoiler
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #427426

Shadowflame909 wrote:What do you mean by "doing it to be a cunt" If the scientist kills the egg. That the RD wanted to powergame with the RD's gonna treat him valid 100 percent of the time. Along with the xenobiologist who enjoys seeing xenos break out.

Also tbh, I'd much rather always jump into xenobio and kill the egg. I enjoy long rounds and don't want everything to die 30 minutes in, Dax. Frequent lavaland xeno rounds have really caused me to despise such a overpowered antagonist that was built to end rounds. Yet can appear very early into it with multiple ways to do so.
read the quote please I can't make it more simple
Zack

Post by Zack » #427430

I can respect that.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #427432

Dax Dupont wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:ahh.
read the quote please I can't make it more simple
It's not a ruling yet, fam. Xenos are hostile organisms that are by definition round enders. If killing them will make me as valid as "woody got wood" like you want them to be. Then prepare for anti-xeno players to become the most abusers of there valid status by definition. Like creating solo-revs for stopping a round-ending antag
► Show Spoiler