What does the crew know about antagonists?

Should we add the additional rule to the roleplay rules?

Yes
15%
Yes
15%
Yes
15%
No
19%
No
19%
No
19%

Total votes: 108

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

What does the crew know about antagonists?

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41153

Ideally this thread should come about creating a line that can be inserted in the roleplay rules that explains what crew members know or don't know about antagonists and their items.

Unlike some heavy RP servers, it's pretty much standard that everyone knows what antagonists are and what their items look like. When someone yells "Nuke ops!" everyone knows what to do, just like how everyone knows what to do when they encounter a changeling (more or less). I don't have a problem with this, and I'm assuming the majority of the playerbase doesn't as well. Yet there have been times in the past newer players have perhaps been unsure about whether or not they would recognize a chameleon projector as Syndicate tech, or if a new religious movement on the station is indeed a dangerous cult. From an IC perspective, I like that we play this way as it only makes sense that all the crew members would be briefed on the various dangers that could potentially put Nanotrasen's property at risk.

So I'd like to propose adding an additional roleplay rule:

"Members of the crew are allowed, if they wish, to roleplay that they have practical knowledge of the different antagonist types, their items, and their abilities, that they could potentially end up facing on their shift. Rule 3 of the Primary Policies takes precedent over this however."

I'll leave the poll open for switching answers, I'll also change or update the line above if there are any suggestions.

EDIT: I'm only trying to come up with a rule that makes what we all basically know already explicit for new players who are reading the rules.
Last edited by QuartzCrystal on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UtterNewbie

Re: What does the crew know about antagonists?

Post by UtterNewbie » #41155

Can't wait for assisstants to strip eachother to check for chameleon jumpsuits. Anyone with brown shoes becomes valid. Gasmask! Must be a voice changer. :^)

Do you want to bwoink people for no reason?

No.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41157

UtterNewbie wrote:Can't wait for assisstants to strip eachother to check for chameleon jumpsuits. Anyone with brown shoes becomes valid. Gasmask! Must be a voice changer. :^)

Do you want to bwoink people for no reason?

No.
Lots of people wear brown shoes, but if you saw someone run across a wet floor with brown shoes on most of the playerbase would know these are no-slips.

I'm just trying to think of a way to make what is implicitly known by the majority of the playerbase explicit for new players. Perhaps however it works so well because people learn it over time?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #41159

I don't actually think brown shoes are a default wearable item. Though its not exactly something you check all the time.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #41161

Steelpoint wrote:I don't actually think brown shoes are a default wearable item.
There's a pair right in arrivals locker room. Heads also spawn with them. Also detective.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41162

So we're taking this full-opposite-Bay then? We're not obligating ignorance, we're obligating knowledge. If you "know" something is an antag item and don't act you're in the wrong? Does this make the opposite true? If I see some chucklefuck running around in a gas mask that I "know" is a voice changer then I can immediately valid them without OOC repercussions because they looked like an antag? Traitor items are designed to be covert (mostly) that's why they look like normal items.

Since I know this started about uplinks anyway, lets look at what you're justifying. You're literally justifying the warden permanently bucklecuffing somebody because they "might" have an uplink implant. And if they have an uplink implant they can c4 their brig cell (and probably kill them self in the process. Great, I'll add this to my usual search every time I brig and search somebody now as a HoS/Warden/SO. Now I can, search their bag, search their box, check their PDA, full cavity search and then get out the drapes to check for implants.

And I thought the idea was to curb the "power gaming play to win arrests per minute" mindset? Did I miss a memo?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41163

My point stands, they are a very uncommon item hence why I supported the idea of making no-slips adopt a similar mechanic to a chameleon jumpsuit but for shoes.

On topic, won't this proposal mean that the crew are allowed to know utterly everything about antagonists? That seems counter intuitive.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #41165

What the flying fuck is this.
Are we turning into an inverted version of Bay?
What the fuck is wrong with roleplaying not knowing what an uplink is?
I mean, if you're a head or something, I can see this.
But, this is just throwing the idea that we enforce powergaming more.
Just stop.
:^)
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41166

Spacemanspark wrote:What the flying fuck is this.
Are we turning into an inverted version of Bay?
What the fuck is wrong with roleplaying not knowing what an uplink is?
I mean, if you're a head or something, I can see this.
But, this is just throwing the idea that we enforce powergaming more.
Just stop.
Stop being me.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41167

My issue is, when a door is permanently stuck open everyone says its emagged. If the detective finds prints and arrests someone, then upon searching them finds a Cryptographic Sequencer, everyone says "confirmed traitor" and doesn't think twice about it and no one claims this to be metagaming.

There has to be a middle ground in which we can explicitly make it clear that the crew knows what traitor items look like and what they do, but this doesn't lead to everyone wearing a gas mask getting lynched. I'm just trying to find out a way of putting into words the common practice of the majority of the playerbase.

It's no way against the rules for an assistant to dunk someone they see having and using traitor items, because it's assumed that everyone knows what these items look like. It's also no way against the rules for someone to yell "NUKE OPS!" or "CULT!" or even "REV!" because, everyone knows the round types in character apparently. Yet our rules don't have anything to say about this or anything else relating to IC knowledge of antagonists.
Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #41168

QuartzCrystal wrote:My issue is, when a door is permanently stuck open everyone says its emagged. If the detective finds prints and arrests someone, then upon searching them finds a Cryptographic Sequencer, everyone says "confirmed traitor" and doesn't think twice about it and no one claims this to be metagaming.

There has to be a middle ground in which we can explicitly make it clear that the crew knows what traitor items look like and what they do, but this doesn't lead to everyone wearing a gas mask getting lynched. I'm just trying to find out a way of putting into words the common practice of the majority of the playerbase.
Again, if I want to RP not knowing/ not believing what the uplink / syndicate/ cult/ etc. is, without being on a heavier RP server, what's so bad about that? This is too restrictive for this server.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41170

Spacemanspark wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:My issue is, when a door is permanently stuck open everyone says its emagged. If the detective finds prints and arrests someone, then upon searching them finds a Cryptographic Sequencer, everyone says "confirmed traitor" and doesn't think twice about it and no one claims this to be metagaming.

Again, if I want to RP not knowing what the uplink is, without being on a heavier RP server, what's so bad about that? This is too restrictive for this server.
Nothing, I made a change to the wording of the proposed rule. I'm not trying to limit any playstyles, just trying to explicitly explain that one of the common types is not against the rules.
Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #41171

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Spacemanspark wrote:

Again, if I want to RP not knowing what the uplink is, without being on a heavier RP server, what's so bad about that? This is too restrictive for this server.
Nothing, I made a change to the wording of the proposed rule. I'm not trying to limit any playstyles, just trying to explicitly explain that one of the common types is not against the rules.
Based on this and the edit to the proposal of the rule, this seems better. I still think it will throw the idea out that we encourage powergaming, but it's not conflicting with playstyles, at least.
Last edited by Spacemanspark on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41173

I can make additional changes of course, I think the way it's currently worded appeals to both my concern and the concerns of you guys.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #41174

Yeah, as long as it's "allowed" and not "obligated," this seems like a good clarification to make.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41175

Yeah I threw in "if they wish" to make this abundantly clear.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41177

QuartzCrystal wrote: It's no way against the rules for an assistant to dunk someone they see having and using traitor items, because it's assumed that everyone knows what these items look like.

Actually, that's implied in the code. An emag literally says "cryptographic sequencer" when I mouse over it and examine it. Apparently the game thinks I know and thus I do. Lets take this to the next step. If I mouse over a chameleon jumpsuit turned into a grey jumpsuit, what does it tell me? "That's a jumpsuit you moron. Duh." As a sec officer I can know that such jumpsuits exist, but I'd be a jackass to start shooting every inmate with the ion gun just to make sure.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41178

cedarbridge wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote: It's no way against the rules for an assistant to dunk someone they see having and using traitor items, because it's assumed that everyone knows what these items look like.

Actually, that's implied in the code. An emag literally says "cryptographic sequencer" when I mouse over it and examine it. Apparently the game thinks I know and thus I do. Lets take this to the next step. If I mouse over a chameleon jumpsuit turned into a grey jumpsuit, what does it tell me? "That's a jumpsuit you moron. Duh." As a sec officer I can know that such jumpsuits exist, but I'd be a jackass to start shooting every inmate with the ion gun just to make sure.
Exactly, which is why I amended the rule proposal to make explicit reference to the anti-powergame rule.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #41187

I don't like encouraging the current binary gameplay we have going on of VALIDs.

I'd honestly prefer to see things go the other way. Things like mesons, masks and brown shoes shouldn't be tested as a matter of course and this kind of thing encourages that.

I think players should have the option to let antagonists get away with things. It allows for more interesting rounds than standard murderbone, but if policy like this gets out the door soon that's all we are going to see. It will be the only safe option for antagonists.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #41188

Knowing that noslips exist is not metagaming.
Keeping perma's bar of soap next to a brig cell so you can drag all new arrests across to check for it is metagaming.

Not that hard, guys.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41191

Saegrimr wrote:Knowing that noslips exist is not metagaming.
Keeping perma's bar of soap next to a brig cell so you can drag all new arrests across to check for it is metagaming.

Not that hard, guys.
But this isn't actually explained anywhere in the rules. If someone first joins our server they have no idea if their character is allowed to know that noslips exist or not.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #41195

QuartzCrystal wrote:If someone first joins our server they have no idea if their character is allowed to know that noslips exist or not.
This is true, but I was referencing the slippery slope that everybody is arguing about this going in the full-nox direction.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41212

So we had a couple of lings just fucking around, using public armor abilities and shit, just obviously dicking around. I was HoS. I wanted to do something fun with it, so I decided I would offer them a job at the force. But captain came into brig. He tried to shoot them (they were in the brig cell with timer ticking just dicking around, fully clothed and stuff) through the glass with taser from outside. A couple of times. Then he walked into the brig and started, without use of capital letters in the beginning of the sentences, telling everyone to "flash them goddamit" while trying to tase them through the glass. Finally he managed to reach timer controls. He walked in and lasered one of them to death. I tried to intervene, said that they did nothing wrong. There was an officer nearby who collected both dead and living lings into a locker and welded them. He said "Enemy of The Corporation", read space law idiot. I attempted to arrest him for calling me an idiot. I always do that, or at least try, when I'm the head. Captain tased me and handcuffed me. Together they went ahead and demoted me and the officer immediately asked to be HoS. In the HoP line he got stuck with the locker and couldn't walk out on his own. Gee, and this guy told me to read space law.

My point is, this is not what I want to see. I want to have fun, not antaghunt, thank you very much.

So yeah, obviously people will always be allowed to identify antags, but the choice is important.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #41216

And you should probably follow the Chain of Command if you want people to follow it when it comes to being your underlings. You disobeyed the Captain and even stood against him.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #41218

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I attempted to arrest him for calling me an idiot. I always do that, or at least try, when I'm the head.
That's... kinda shit.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41220

Can we not go off topic here? I think the current rule proposal reflects the reality of our server pretty well.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41226

Saegrimr wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I attempted to arrest him for calling me an idiot. I always do that, or at least try, when I'm the head.
That's... kinda shit.
Not in my opinion.
Violaceus wrote:>changeling
>did nothing wrong

It is assumed that if you play normally as gloroious Nicolas Delacour®, when you are a changeling, original Nicolas was killed (oh no....) before crew entering station.

So every changeling is a murderer.
See, I don't really care. I want to have fun. Murdering goofballs for successfully rolling antag isn't part of it, not for me.
Scott wrote:And you should probably follow the Chain of Command if you want people to follow it when it comes to being your underlings. You disobeyed the Captain and even stood against him.
Sure and it's not the first time heads stand up against captain and hopefully not the last.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41229

>standing against the captain to defend changelings

Ban from heads.
UtterNewbie

Post by UtterNewbie » #41238

Did you just seriously change the poll subject while keeping the poll results from previous subject?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41241

Subject is the same, OP has been edited. I specified I made it so people can change votes to reflect changes made to OP.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #41271

This rule prettymuch currently exists, it's just not written anywhere.

We're not like bay, we don't force people to pretend to be ignorant about things.
You CAN pretend to be ignorant about things if you want, but that's up to you.

Saegrimir put it perfectly. Metagaming and Metaknowledge are too different things.

Knowing that the shuttle wont work in a rev round so you don't bother trying to call it is fine.
Purposely calling it to see if the round IS a rev round is metagaming.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41272

An0n3 wrote:This rule prettymuch currently exists, it's just not written anywhere.

We're not like bay, we don't force people to pretend to be ignorant about things.
You CAN pretend to be ignorant about things if you want, but that's up to you.

Saegrimir put it perfectly. Metagaming and Metaknowledge are too different things.

Knowing that the shuttle wont work in a rev round so you don't bother trying to call it is fine.
Purposely calling it to see if the round IS a rev round is metagaming.
Something like this could be added as a sub-point to the rule to make it clearer?

I just feel since we have this unwritten rule, there's no harm to writing it down.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #41352

If the rules exist in any tangible way then the line wil be toed.

Better to tell everyonr about the unwritten ones.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #41374

the line, if any, should be drawn at obvious traitor items
weapons, and items like the emag or syndicate toolbox or what have you, with obvious and iconic sprites should instantly confirm traitor
if you see someone walking around in brown shoes and wearing a gasmask, you probably shouldnt attack them right away, because even if they are suspicious, the only way to tell is by blatantly metagaming through an item designed to look like something someone should wear. if they also act strangely, or give other evidence as to being a traitor, you could probably search them on the basis of them being suspicious in the first place. but tasering people wearing gasmasks and stuff is bad.
knowing that something that actually looks like a traitor item is a traitor item is different than knowing a disguise item is a traitor item because you know what item it is disguised as.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41383

Personally, I'd love to be able to taze and search idiots running around with gas masks on fnr just to get people to stop doing it.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #41385

But you can already do that
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #41390

If newcomers are so bayshocked they can't comprehend our rules allow them to do this already I don't see the point of the proposed rule.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41398

paprika wrote:But you can already do that
Gas masks aren't a crime, yet.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41409

Security is free to preform random searches on the crew at all times, there has never been a constraint on that.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41412

You need a valid reason.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41413

Scott wrote:You need a valid reason.
I can search a random crew member for any or no reason at all as a member of Security, that's is the case nor have I ever been told otherwise.

If you want to change that, make another policy discussion on it.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41414

And you will get bwoinked for it because it's powergaming dickery.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41415

Scott wrote:And you will get bwoinked for it because it's powergaming dickery.
I've played in Security for around a year, I have never been warned about random searches when playing in Security. I've even been told by admins that I can freely randomly search people even in Code Green.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41416

Go ahead and search people in the hop line.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41417

Having the authority does not mean you have to exercise that authority.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41418

Backing away from your claims?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41419

Scott wrote:Backing away from your claims?
What I'm saying is that just because I have the right to do something does not necessarily mean its in my best interests to do it. If I acted similar to how people like Juan-Luc Price acted (Essentially played Security by the book literally) I would be one of the most unpopular if not reviled Security player on tg station.

You need to be intelligent when playing Security, you have access to a wide range of powers but knowing when to use them to your benefit, and when to not use them, is a key factor in playing Security.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41420

Go lose your title and search random people in the HoP line at round start.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #41423

Scott wrote:Go lose your title and search random people in the HoP line at round start.
Why would I want to search people in the HoP line at round start? While I can do that why would I want to do that?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41444

Please stop going incredibly off topic. Stop talking about what we're already allowed to do, etc. This is not the point of this thread.

The point is to decide if we think it's beneficial to have a rule that makes our unwritten implicit rule explicit and available for viewing by everyone.