Holoparasites and asimov/harm clarification.

gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Holoparasites and asimov/harm clarification.

Post by gum disease » #433575

I know a thread about this already exists, but it's from 2015 and I ahelped about this recently and was told not to attack the holoparasite at all. Due to this, I've been very leery about following what's been stated in that thread.

Can we just make it so that if someone consciously elects to bind a holoparasite to them, anything that happens to the holoparasite (and consequently, to them) is essentially regarded as self-harm (which is the only form of harm that can be disregarded)? If someone chooses to get a holoparasite, I'm assuming they know the potential risks as well as the benefits of having one. Attempting to disable a holoparasite without killing the host is actually very difficult, especially if other people join in and start attacking the holoparasite/host. My concern is if I decided to attack a holoparasite that was hurting people/myself, and somehow end up landing the killing blow which then immediately kills the host whom my laws obligate me to protect from harm, have I contravened those laws?

Rather than making the host non-human, which was suggested in the original thread, regarding it as self-harm would still give them the same protections as any other human until they actually used the holoparasite in a harmful manner.

Alternatively, can I get an up-to-date, final ruling on whether it's kosher to attack holoparasites as an asimov or otherwise harm-preventing borg that I can refer back to for posterity? Thank you! ^^
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Re: Holoparasites and asimov/harm clarification.

Post by Anuv » #433584

I've always seen borgs attacking holoparasites without issue, as they're non-human.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #433593

That's what I thought too! So I was a bit confused when I was told to not attack the holopara. I just found the headmin rulings page on the wiki regarding this, so I'm gonna go with that:

"Holoparasites aren't human- a cyborg can attack the holoparasite but not the human. If the parasite recalls and the human is in critical, the borg must give him medical attention."

Guess this is addressed. ^^
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #433619

kind of a strange ruling tbh since attacking a stand directly harms the human controlling that stand
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433621

DemonFiren wrote:kind of a strange ruling tbh since attacking a stand directly harms the human controlling that stand
I think the idea is that asimov borgs just aren't aware it hurts the human. At least that's the hand-wavy explanation.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #433625

It'd make stands too effective if they were both unstunnable and forced to be treated as Human in my eyes.

I remember chaos holos being picked every single round and I do not miss them
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #433648

DemonFiren wrote:kind of a strange ruling tbh since attacking a stand directly harms the human controlling that stand
It's more due to the frustrating fact that this thing that isn't human can cause massive amount damage and harm, but you can't stop it. In a way you can only try to remove people from it...oh and stop people attacking it as they're causing human harm.
Freedom
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #433655

Asimov borgs and AIs are free to harm holoparasites as much as they damn well please. IC reasoning for this as that previous thread said is because borgs and AIs don't know that damaging the parasite damages the human. OOC reasoning is that outside of direct damage borgs and AIs have no way to deal with holoparasites and banning them from being able to fight back would be rather unfair.

I'll admit that personally I'd prefer to see holoparasites straight up removed from the code so we didn't need to have a snowflake policy like this to balance an item that is just a reference to some flavor of the month anime from a few years ago.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #433662

i was gonna post soemthing but owegno took the words out of my mouth (keyboard)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #433705

why do you have a keyboard in your mouth
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #433708

DemonFiren wrote:why do you have a keyboard in your mouth