What classifies as low/failRP

Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

What classifies as low/failRP

Post by Jzoid » #433717

I've been known as a bad meme over my time here, not anymore hopefully. But one of the issues with me that an unnamed admin taken up with me was my usage of saying "Antag/Antagonist" IC.
Even after a year, maybe even two, this is one of the only things I don't see fault in me doing. I mean, I see fault in me doing murderbones, I see my fault in me turning off all the lights to spite the Captain as an AI simply because it wasn't technically against my laws. Or cross-playing servers and AFK'ing when I didn't get antag. But I don't see my fault in saying a word that's often used in art and theater in real life.

After talking with people, apparently it's because it equals lowRP.
So, on what terms is lowRP acceptable? I mean, I'd say spam table-stunning a tenth of the population in a round, every single round, for three minutes on end each time is below lowRP, and it's defintly more destructive than saying "antag" ICly, yet at the same time the person most notorious for that has become an admin, whilst I got threatened for being perma banned for saying "antag" ICly.

Or how about suiciding at the start of every round.

There's more examples of destructive lowRP I can find that's being left unpunished and actively done.

So, why do we keep one banned, and the others not?
In my opinion, all those forms should be bannable, or all those forms shouldn't be bannable, we should make our minds up.

what i'm really saying is
either making saying antag ICly none-offensible
or make spam-table stunning as a none-antag at the start of every round bannable along with mass suicide bannable
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: What classifies as low/failRP

Post by Screemonster » #433718

if someone's acting shifty in real life do you call them an antagonist or do you just say they're fucking sus
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #433719

Screemonster wrote:if someone's acting shifty in real life do you call them an antagonist or do you just say they're fucking sus
no i just say they're a dickhead
i don't call them a traitor or a rev or a changeling or a cultist
i just call them a dick head

question to you
do you kill yourself along with five others when you go to work

or do you strangle people and flip them onto a table before flipping them onto another table after you strangle them. do you do this like twenty times throughout five people in your work irl?
Last edited by Jzoid on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #433720

there is no rp on /tg/
thus there can be no failrp
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #433721

DemonFiren wrote:there is no rp on /tg/
thus there can be no failrp
according to ari "lowRP =/= no rp"
that's why saying antag is punishable
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433724

>I was told not to do something, now I'm going to equate a bunch of other shit to this thing and make you pick all or nothing
>I am a mature reasonable person who is simply being oppressed by overly complex rules that I want to make more complex until you let me do what I want

Just play a character and don't use OOC terms it's not hard. Death is practically meaningless a lot of futuristic settings. Look at the suicide booths in Futurama for an example.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #433725

Being tabled or otherwise harassed for no reason is shitty but it's still something that is happening in the context of the game. Using OOC terminology in game isn't just low RP, it's breaking immersion and it affects everyone when it is said on the radio or announcements. Admins fear slipper slope and that's why they use zero tolerance for OOC words: you allow antagonist, next thing you know people are complaining because they get bwoinked for saying round, you allow that and they complain they can't say server, fast forward and the in-game chat is as immersive as the chat in Town of Salem.
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #433726

Stickymayhem wrote:>I was told not to do something, now I'm going to equate a bunch of other shit to this thing and make you pick all or nothing
>I am a mature reasonable person who is simply being oppressed by overly complex rules that I want to make more complex until you let me do what I want

Just play a character and don't use OOC terms it's not hard. Death is practically meaningless a lot of futuristic settings. Look at the suicide booths in Futurama for an example.
>using strawmans instead of breaking down the argument

The Futurama part is fair enough, but then we can go back to the table-spamming.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #433732

Suplexing some motherfucker onto a table is a thing that can happen within the context of the game, it's a thing your characters are doing. It can still be considered "roleplaying" even if it's something that would be silly in the real world, just as it wouldn't be out of place if we were playing Tom & Jerry Station 13 and at roundstart you dropped an anvil on someone's head and they comically turned into an elegant coffee table, or shot them in the face and turned them into a racist caricature while a sarcastic refrain of camptown races played in the background.

"Antag" and similar terms, however, are not things that exist within the context of the SS13 universe, so having your character say something like "I'm going to get you banned" to a security officer or something of the like is a failure to RP.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #433734

There are no RP standards on /tg/ other than the fact that roleplaying is required in its bare-bones minimum state of not being able to say OOC things in IC chat. This is considered to be low RP -- as even if you act like a retard who kills themself and tables everyone, you are still pretending that you are not a video game character. 'Antagonist' is an OOC term used to describe a game mechanic. This is absolutely not an issue in any way, as there are plenty of alternatives that aren't explicitly naming game mechanics, such as 'rogue,' 'traitor,' 'fucking asshole killing me in maint.'
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #433832

Jzoid wrote:what i'm really saying is
make spam-table stunning as a none-antag at the start of every round bannable
no that would be an absolutely stupid thing to get banned for stop being a baby
Jzoid wrote:mass suicide bannable
cant really do that since then they'll just close the game if they dont wanna play, also unless it's an important role who cares
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #433839

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Jzoid wrote:what i'm really saying is
make spam-table stunning as a none-antag at the start of every round bannable
no that would be an absolutely stupid thing to get banned for stop being a baby

and then what about making saying antag IC a none-offense
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #433846

Table spam is a code issue.

I've always believed netspeak and other similar offenses should also be handled by code rather than us banning for it but i'm too lazy to code a filter.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
segundoblz
Byond Username: Segundoblz

Post by segundoblz » #433869

Stickymayhem wrote:>I was told not to do something, now I'm going to equate a bunch of other shit to this thing and make you pick all or nothing

OOC terms like "reeeeeeeeee"? I've seen people using it a lot IC
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #433889

segundoblz wrote:OOC terms like "reeeeeeeeee"? I've seen people using it a lot IC
You can get into a pretty big argument over terms that are IC or aren't.

Saying 'ayy lmao', which some admins punish, is OOC so if I go abductor and want to emote 'ayy lmao' then I just say 'ayy lemohs' and it's fine.
I remember people arguing about kek being OOC in IC or not.
One could argue saying 'rip' as OOC in IC despite what the context that this one legendary man uses it for.
Spoiler:
[youtube]g_FB4Bw99KU[/youtube]
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #433911

Yeah the bar got lowered even further, you can barf memes, internet slang and so on, pretty much anything is usually allowed except using emoticons in chat, but I like to think that this does still make sense in the context of our silly game. However, direct references to the game itself like "I'm asking the admins" "Hope you get banned" "I'm gonna switch servers" "This guy is antag, he's valid" "I want to greentext" should be limited to deadchat and OOC.

If even this is asking too much, the absolute state of /tg/ is even worse than I expected and we should just hasten the transition to competitive /tg/ and turn it into the Fortnite clone it was meant to be.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #433954

so saying "antag" or "antagonist" in game is bad but yelling "IT'S REVS" is kosher?
--Crocodillo

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #433960

"IT'S REVS" is also frowned upon because you're directly referencing the name of the mode, just like "IT'S TRAITOR/EXTENDED/NUCLEAR EMERGENCY" etc.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #433962

That might be true, but it happens every rev round and no one stops it, so it's kosher. This guy apparently got shit from an admin for saying "antag"
--Crocodillo

Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #433966

How do you know nothing happens? Admins could be handing out warnings without you knowing. Admins could also not be able or willing to enforce every instance because they are busy or because the person that blurted it out is the only security guard left in the brig and taking them out of the game would impact the round significantly.

You hear a player saysing "it's revs" on the intercom.
What do you expect to happen?
What do you expect to see?
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #433967

WarbossLincoln wrote:That might be true, but it happens every rev round and no one stops it, so it's kosher. This guy apparently got shit from an admin for saying "antag"
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=12077
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #433971

lmao, one of these threads again. Don't directly reference the bad guys on the station being antagonists, its pretty simple. Netspeak or OOC in IC, which is what that is, has never been allowed. Just because it doesn't get caught every time it happens doesn't mean its allowed.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #433977

If it's not allowed and people are being warned it's not working. Basically every single rev round has people screaming it's revs, or ops, or whatever it is. "ITS REVS" is so common that it's a meme.

It's so common that it might as well not be a rule if it can't be stopped(which based on observation it's not). Banning people consistently over it is probably the only way to make it stop and that's jerking the wheel way into a higher RP territory we don't want to go.
--Crocodillo

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #433996

WarbossLincoln wrote:It's so common that it might as well not be a rule if it can't be stopped(which based on observation it's not). Banning people consistently over it is probably the only way to make it stop and that's jerking the wheel way into a higher RP territory we don't want to go.
We don't have to go so extreme as pls rp properly or else u get banned because if there were mute bans (aka mutes on a timer so the admin doesn't have to unmute them) then it could work.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #434015

WarbossLincoln wrote:That might be true, but it happens every rev round and no one stops it, so it's kosher. This guy apparently got shit from an admin for saying "antag"
I bwoink people on it but I'm not always paying attention to the game. Feel free to ahelp it when you see it. My favorite part of these threads is seeing everyone complain about admins never enforcing it when we never get reports of it, so we can only enforce what we see.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #434017

hey officer you're not allowed to give me a ticket for running that red light because I saw a guy going 90 the other day and he didn't get arrested
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #434018

since when is banning people for consistently not obeying the rules "high rp"?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #434028

don't forget to type out your a's
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #434044

segundoblz wrote:

OOC terms like "reeeeeeeeee"? I've seen people using it a lot IC
and yet i do the reeeee thing in real life so there's that

there's a difference between dumb memes like reeee and unpronouncable netspeak/actual meta concepts like "round" "Gamemode" "It's [roundtype]" and "antag"
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #434101

if you can't stop yourself from saying blatantly ooc concepts and from blatant undisguised netspeak in ic you shouldn't be here tbh.
and everything sticky and owegno said.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #434144

Stickymayhem wrote:and yet i do the reeeee thing in real life so there's that
way up there with people saying "ecks dee" in real life
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #434149

It wasn't the norm back in 2011 or whenever /tg/ was gaining traction, but today the explosion of internet meme culture (thanks to social networks, streamers, twitch and youtube) has brought memes in everyday conversations. People routinely "reeee" IRL and articulate other meme jargon when they talk with friends and family. After all, "reeee" is just onomatopoeia like "sigh", "sob", "mumble" and other cartoon sounds that people have been doing since forever.
When culture changes, server rules should change accordingly.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #434171

Netspeak minus emoticons like :) or XD seems weird to enforce when you consider kek is commonly used and acceptable, which is a translation of lol into a fictional language

That’s why I believe the filter is the best option so rather than have to argue with the admin about how you can’t say lol so now you get a 6month blackmark, it just converts it into something appropriate
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #434173

BeeSting12 wrote:
I bwoink people on it but I'm not always paying attention to the game. Feel free to ahelp it when you see it. My favorite part of these threads is seeing everyone complain about admins never enforcing it when we never get reports of it, so we can only enforce what we see.
This. I bwoink what I feel is quite a bit over this but I am not on 24/7. If it bothers you this much, then why does no one else ever report it?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #434178

Cobby wrote:Netspeak minus emoticons like :) or XD seems weird to enforce when you consider kek is commonly used and acceptable, which is a translation of lol into a fictional language

That’s why I believe the filter is the best option so rather than have to argue with the admin about how you can’t say lol so now you get a 6month blackmark, it just converts it into something appropriate
don't we give people terminal amounts of braindamage for kekking IC?
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #434180

Grazyn wrote:It wasn't the norm back in 2011 or whenever /tg/ was gaining traction, but today the explosion of internet meme culture (thanks to social networks, streamers, twitch and youtube) has brought memes in everyday conversations. People routinely "reeee" IRL and articulate other meme jargon when they talk with friends and family. After all, "reeee" is just onomatopoeia like "sigh", "sob", "mumble" and other cartoon sounds that people have been doing since forever.
When culture changes, server rules should change accordingly.
Is the mentioned culture change taking us in the right direction?
Sometimes you don't have to accommodate change, but protect the values that make the game worth playing.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #434305

kevinz000 wrote:
Cobby wrote:Netspeak minus emoticons like :) or XD seems weird to enforce when you consider kek is commonly used and acceptable, which is a translation of lol into a fictional language

don't we give people terminal amounts of braindamage for kekking IC?
I hope so,

I personally am a big fan of giving people brain damage for every form of OOC in IC, and use the ability quite liberally.

Unfortunately, some people like Klara have it on a level I cannot varedit so it makes it a moot feature, but it does have its benefits
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #434653

Cobby wrote:I personally am a big fan of giving people brain damage for every form of OOC in IC, and use the ability quite liberally.

Unfortunately, some people like Klara have it on a level I cannot varedit so it makes it a moot feature, but it does have its benefits
I am going to wrap my hands around your neck and strangle you. I will look into your eyes as I do it, then I will lean in and whisper in your ear as I kiss your neck. We will then get married and live the rest of our lives together happily.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #434658

Klara Ellstrom uwu's softly

also this is a garbage tier thread just dont use OOC terms IC you chucklefucks its not hard
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #434754

Everytime you use netspeak or say round my immersion shatters and I have sit there picking up the pieces for the whole round
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes