Disguising OOC terms icly

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Disguising OOC terms icly

Post by wesoda25 » #435992

Bottom post of the previous page:

So headmin elections and lots of candidates have mentioned roleplay and the separation of OOC and IC. Not a headmin thingy, just wanna get admin consensus on disguised OOC terms. If other people have questions we could make this a running thread or something.

Bans
- Is referring to bans as “being fired by centcomm” acceptable

Other Servers/Bagil-Terry-Sybil
- If we mention other servers, can we refer to them like this: “Yeah I’m from the hippie sector of space” or “I come from hippie station” or can we not mention server names like that?

Admins
- Referring to the admins collectively as centcomm is generally acceptable I know, but what about the other common variant, calling them Gods?

Previous Rounds
- I know this one is pretty much against the rules, but is it even enforced? Say Joe Schmoe kills off the station as viro last round, do admins get on people for saying round start: “Oh God who let Joe be viro again”, things of that nature.

Feel free to snowball.
[this space reserved]
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Disguising OOC terms icly

Post by Cobby » #437195

Arianya wrote:Cobby I realize the thought of people being bwoinked breaks you out in hives but if you start allowing people to use "sry" "thx" and so on and so forth it'll be a race to the bottom to see who can put less effort in.

Ultimately as far as our rules go its a pretty minor request and one that doesn't even really come up with people other then maybe a few times when they're new to the server, and which is easy enough to correct.

Let's not make mountains out of molehills by overblowing the "omg admin bwoinking me FNR"
Typically when someone shorthands like an idiot I say in character "what is sry?" so they automatically correct themselves, without any admin intervention required. I personally would like to see someone continue so they get sent to medical for a lobotomy or something. We should encourage self-administration (to a degree) and staying within character since *bwoink* got a moment? is just as immersion-breaking as someone dropping the evil "sry" or "thx" out of habit on rare occasion.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #437238

I bwoink people regularly for this and I have very rarely gotten pushback, probably since I frame it as a reminder and not a YOU'RE IN TROUBLE NOW FAM
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #437260

bandit wrote:I bwoink people regularly for this and I have very rarely gotten pushback, probably since I frame it as a reminder and not a YOU'RE IN TROUBLE NOW FAM
Thank you for your service bgo (not sarcasm).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #437375

Stickymayhem wrote:At least dressing up OOC terms like this is a modicum of effort to be honest. I'd generally be ok with any of these options.

What I'd avoid are hints at clearly OOC things in game, like the roundtype "We've found traitors already, I doubt there are any nuke ops", for example.
this
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #437429

"Shut up, Jim. It's revs, there can't be nuke ops. There can only be one antag type per round, idiot. Hold on, the faggot gods are chewing me out for some bullshit idk xD"
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #437445

obscolene wrote:"Shut up, Jim. It's revs, there can't be nuke ops. There can only be one antag type per round, idiot. Hold on, the faggot gods are chewing me out for some bullshit idk xD"
this is not what is being discussed in this thread but WOW that rustled me
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #437448

PKPenguin321 wrote:
obscolene wrote:"Shut up, Jim. It's revs, there can't be nuke ops. There can only be one antag type per round, idiot. Hold on, the faggot gods are chewing me out for some bullshit idk xD"
Tfw this is closer to the beginning of the thread than the current code filter discussion. Yet another policy discussion turns to code :(
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #437471

wesoda25 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Tfw this is closer to the beginning of the thread than the current code filter discussion. Yet another policy discussion turns to code :(
no no, the thread is about disguising OOC terms, like saying "Centcomm put me on leave" when you mean "I was banned". what he posted wasn't even a little bit disguised. but yeah
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #437480

he said gods instead of admins so clearly mystery ooc in ic man here is actually a master of roleplay
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #437588

PKPenguin321 wrote:

Shit like that bugs me more than it probably should. I like when admins mix antags to mess with people when they start shouting "It's X, there can't be Y"(which is way too often). Sometime within the last week there were revs during a wizard round and Sec ignored the reports of flashing because a wizard had been confirmed and in their mind it's 100% impossible for there to be revs and a wizard.
--Crocodillo

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #437761

>"fucking admins bwoinked me one second"
>admin says to not use OOC in IC
>"sorry i mean the gods are speaking to me one second"
>admin bans you for complying with their orders

This is why we shouldn't be banning people for, you know, complying with existing policy.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #437789

Nobody should listen to goofs post, it isn't relevant and is a niche example that doesn't happen
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made less hostile
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #437811

NikNakFlak wrote:Nobody should listen to goofs post, it isn't relevant and is a niche example that doesn't happen
Then why does this thread have not only a head admin but another high up senior admin stating that they do not approve of people using goc as an IC replacement for admins?
Rustledjimm wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:stop getting mad over people saying dumb abbreviations, people do it IRL

source: work a job where you have to listen to shithead teenagers
t. teenager

Personally I actually dislike the term Gods, it's almost always used by someone as a threat.
Atlanta-Ned wrote:nothing fills me with a white-hot, seething rage more than someone telling me they're talking to the gods. fuck you, you immersion bending fucks.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #437815

"a head admin but another high up senior admin stating that they do not approve of people using" != "YOU WILL BE INSTANTLY BANNED FOR SAYING GODS"
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #437839

This seems like an odd thing to get riled over when you still see "g absorbing AI" and "VIVA" constantly getting shouted over the radio and nobody bats an eye
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #437909

iamgoofball wrote:another high up senior admin
lmao
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #437910

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:another high up senior admin
lmao
I mean you've been here for ages
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #437913

I have no influence.

PS as far as I can tell from the DB no one has been banned for referring to the admins as "the gods".
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #437927

If I banned people for merely not approving of their actions there would be far fewer players :^)
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #438021

There's a difference between blaming 'the gods' for catastrophic meteors, and threatening to tell 'the gods' on someone if they 'don't stop being a faggot.' Both of them indicate that the poster is of low IQ, but only the latter busts my immersion in the kneecaps like the italian mafia.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #438025

obscolene wrote:There's a difference between blaming 'the gods' for catastrophic meteors, and threatening to tell 'the gods' on someone if they 'don't stop being a faggot.' Both of them indicate that the poster is of low IQ, but only the latter busts my immersion in the kneecaps like the italian mafia.
Hit the nail on the head, basically.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #440229

In summary: Disguising OOC terms with IC substitutes is fine, but don't be a dork and use this as an excuse to just completely destroy immersion.

Also, don't use textspeak in IC. This isn't really a ruling since it's already how it's handled but it came up in the thread so I'll mention it.