where is the line that divides joke viruses to griff viruses

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

where is the line that divides joke viruses to griff viruses

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #440808

some heal, some turn you black, some slighty kill you, what is acceptable to do as non antag viro? discussion thread

precedent: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ead#unread

i always consider virologists that make shitty viruses valid as you have all the tools to make them not shit(neuter synthoms) and if you want to prank people go sign up as a clown or something
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Re: where is the line that divides joke viruses to griff viruses

Post by leibniz » #440813

if it does anything other than healing you go in the gibber
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #440830

Real answer from one of the three admins that was played SIGNIFICANT amounts of virologist.

I tried to categorize every symptom as "Helpful - Harmful - Questionable" on the wiki. As a result the symptoms are GREEN RED BLUE in the effect area. Stage speed thresholds may move things over from one category to another.

If you're releasing helpful things harmfully, don't complain when you get dunked.
If you're releasing questionable things, and it spreads to the entire crew, don't complain when you get dunked.
If you're releasing harmful things as a non antag, don't be surprised when you get in trouble.
If you've stacked everything "Questionable" onto a single virus to be a pain, don't be surprised when you get in trouble.
If you're giving a specific someone a specific virus that isn't going to spread, follow escalation policy.

Questionable inch up on the harmful scale the more you do them. For about a month I had viro on high and I was doing a black virus every 10 shifts, and releasing healing virus's the other nine. Mentally it was my reward for shifts well done. I ended up getting a secret note (without being talked to) about it, then a rather short job ban due to it. The secret note wasn't helpful because I felt what I was doing was fine and I was unaware I was even possibly in trouble. The job ban made sense given the note I had (even if I didn't know about it).

Tlaltecuhtli, you mentioned neutering symptoms. Unless you're crafting something perfect the RNG involved in neutering the exact symptoms is a hassle and most of the time I don't bother. You can make a solid healing virus in about 5 minutes, a thresholds one in about 10, and if you want it stage speed with no downsides add another 5. These times vary wildly and are on the high side but the way the RNG I almost never bother.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #440868

Literally just don't make a virus that causes a majority of the people in the round to be impeded heavily for the sole reason of fucking about. Black virus and coughing is okay if you want to have it spread, but making said coughing cause hundreds of cough messages every few seconds while it also causes people to constantly get stunned is not okay. Just use common sense, and think about the implications of what your disease will do if it's released and infects a majority of the station.

In the end, the dividing line should be the line between "annoying yet mostly harmless" and "may not be directly killing people, but it might as well be"
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #440875

If it damages people it's grief. If it's just really annoying it's still grief, but I think as long as you get dunked and don't make it a regular thing the admins probably won't get assblasted.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #440879

Neutering takes 5 seconds and is not difficult to do. Even sneezing is pretty annoying. If you can neuter it, you should. Especially goes for alopecia and revitiligo.

Viros who spread black viruses every shift deserve death a job ban.
[this space reserved]
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #440922

If someone releases a virus for the sole purpose to fuck with you then be sure to kill use the full authority of current escalation policy.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current