Population Issues

miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Population Issues

Post by miggles » #43293

This kind of sucks.
With only 72 people online at the time of this screenshot, there are 34 assistants. That's 34 useless people cluttering the hallways without much to do and possibly creating trouble for security, etc.
There really isn't a need for this. Boxstation was not built to accommodate 70+ people, and rounds on Sibyl are clusterfucks because of it.
Should there be a player limit?

EDIT: Not to mention that Badger is constantly lowpop because everyone plays on Sibyl, where there's no lack of people to be found.
Having 2 servers is bad when they are not well balanced, this is what causes server wars and cliques and shit.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Kavaloosh

Re: Population Issues

Post by Kavaloosh » #43294

switch to metastation
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #43300

My reponse is still no, no limits.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #43326

When people talk about how /tg/ station's server population is not restricted, I've only heard positive things about it. People oft praise it as a unique feature of /tg/ station. I disagree with the suggestion to introduce a player cap to the servers, however adding a way to advertise a alternative server (Server 2 for 1 or vice versa) when the population hits a certain point would be a fine idea.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #43331

Add more obviously easily expandable job slots.

2 janitors. 2 chefs, more cargo techs, more MDs, etc.

Switch server 2 to box (metastation isn't being updated anymore, metacide pls come back to us) because the population of people who prefer metastation is so fucking negligible at this point compared to how much it would boost the population to have a second server that was identical mostly to sybil, at least until metacide comes back and actively develops the map or we get a new map to test.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #43421

On one hand, player limit on server is a thing in pretty much every other multiplayer game in the existence (except may be MMO, but you know).

On the other hand, I don't really like that. If 34 people joined as assistants, it means they are okay with it.

Meanwhile HoPs who do their jobs are gonna get restricted because reasons.

So yeah, something like scaling jobs could be done, but otherwise I don't think it's such an issue anyway. Besides the fact that metastation people whine about it, of course.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #43437

The issue is obviously the second server running metastation, I remember when we used to have 2 servers running the same map and it worked great to balance the peak hours, with both Sybils hosting around 50 players each. Now people would rather join as assistant than play on metastation. No reason to set a limit, run the same map on both servers and voilà, problem solved.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #43439

Kavaloosh wrote:switch to metastation
Alas, we can dream, but the main playerbase are so tied to Box they'll have a mental breakdown if we change it.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #43454

Or, how about we return to having only 1 server and expand that one servers job system a bit.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #43459

firecage wrote:Or, how about we return to having only 1 server and expand that one servers job system a bit.
It's really not that simple. There can be only so many people doing one job at once. It's limited by equipment, needs of the crew and the size of departments.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #43462

We need to do what bay did with medbay but with other departments such as research. Expand the map, make shit bigger, add more slots.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43465

Well, here is a older image of my medbay and RnD design for the station I'm making, re purposing our medbay, as well as other station areas, might be a interesting idea to look into breathing new life into the station. Or just making a new map to begin with and/or using one of the alternative maps.

Medbay
Spoiler:
RnD
Spoiler:
I do think having server 2 use a different map is a good idea, but I do agree that having it use the same station as server 1 would make it draw more people in.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #43527

Asteroid Station when?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #43591

The main cause of these issues currently is that Badger is down and has been for days. For all intents and purposes there is currently just one server.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #43596

Even when both servers were on, you would never see 50 people playing on metastation on peak hours
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #43599

Put Sybil on Ministation for a bit.

But, in all seriousness, perhaps a new map for Badger would be nice. Don't know if it should be box, maybe something more elaborate.
:^)
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #43606

lmao2box
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #43640

Spacemanspark wrote:Put Sybil on Ministation for a bit.
Yes.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #43649

ASTEROID STATION IS THE ANSWER.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #43651

Honestly the reason most people cling to Box so desperately is because they cannot stand change or another map, so the only way you'll get Asteroidstation is probably by forcing it for a week and waiting for the screams to die down.
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #43655

i personally cant even comprehend how people can still prefer the same map for like, 4 years or more now, though obviously not everyone who likes box has been around that long
i prefer metastation for sure, but the larger part of the playerbase doesnt seem to (for some dumb reason) and badger never gets enough population to really warrant having 2 maps, especially after artyom died and quite a few regulars left immediately afterwards
one of the servers needs a different map, and currently i think asteroidstation would be best for sibyl since its so large, even though i personally dont like the map
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43659

People like Boxstation for many reasons, I think the bigger reason is because it is the only map being actively updated and maintained. Asteroid station is only being sporadically updated, Metastation is missing in action and Ministation is unfeasible.

If you want to swap out to a new map, the onus is on you to get dedicated people to bring the maps up to code, not just to swap the maps and hope someone will update it.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #43672

Metastation is cool to look at, not to actually play at.

People implying that metastation (or box for that matter) is absolutely and unquestionably better are stupid. Get over it, jackasses, it's all subjective.
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #43688

Cipher3 wrote:Honestly the reason most people cling to Box so desperately is because they cannot stand change or another map, so the only way you'll get Asteroidstation is probably by forcing it for a week and waiting for the screams to die down.
Wasn't there the brief period where Sybil swapped between Meta/Asteroid/Efficiency/Efficiency2 for a while, to get them some attention?

Most of the complaining died a few days into each map, so it should be feasible, though they'd really need some updating by now.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #43689

Steelpoint wrote:People like Boxstation for many reasons, I think the bigger reason is because it is the only map being actively updated and maintained. Asteroid station is only being sporadically updated, Metastation is missing in action and Ministation is unfeasible.

If you want to swap out to a new map, the onus is on you to get dedicated people to bring the maps up to code, not just to swap the maps and hope someone will update it.
It's a vicious circle really. Players like boxstation because it's actively maintained and don't want to change to a less polished map, coders keep focusing attention on boxstation because that's where people play more, and so on.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #43708

Asteroid Station is ready for testing on a server. It's just idling and waiting to be put up either on server 1 or 2.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #43712

Grazyn wrote:It's a vicious circle really. Players like boxstation because it's actively maintained and don't want to change to a less polished map, coders keep focusing attention on boxstation because that's where people play more, and so on.
What's vicious about the map that is most popular getting better?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43713

I recall about a year ago we did that 'map jam' event where we cycled through several community maps over the course of a few weeks.

I think a semi-regular event like that might make a good alternative/compromise. It highlights other maps, gives feedback to them and possible spurs the idea of running other maps more regularly.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #43743

Intigracy wrote:I remember when this issue came up before and basically we painted the red house blue and the blue house red. Meta being blue and box being red. The map was switched during an update on both severs, so people who actually wanted to play on box over metastation had to switch servers.

Box's server still ended up having more people even though it started as ridiculous lowpop.

Why is it people who prefer box are willing to change server they play on but people who prefer meta won't?

Keep in mind metacide was still around at this time and frequently updating
I seem to remember making a post back then stating that player allegiances were such that more people who played on sybil were "loyal" to the boxstation map rather than the sybil community and would move around to keep it. Comparatively server 2/phybil/badger/whatever the fuck it was at the time was more "loyal" to their own community and didn't care so much about which map they played so long as they could still play with the same people.

So it came to pass that server 2 boxstation had all the people who preferred box AND all the people who preferred server 2 while server 1 meatstation only had the people who were really into meatstation and a few clueless people who didn't understand we had two servers to begin with.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43748

Box for badger until metacide gets less busy and realizes artyom is dead and updates metastation. Best decision here, basically. Will fix the pop issues since badger is almost identical.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #43842

Box is love, box is life
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #43844

I would move to server 2 if the map was Box, and I'm sure others would too.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #43894

Okay Rhisereld, why is Box better than Metastation in your opinion?
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43896

Imo it's being updated, which is better for coders to not edit 2 maps when it comes to pathing, which is a huge maintainability issue.

Unless metacide comes back and takes care of it himself there's no reason to force contributors to make twice as many already obnoxious map edits that conflict all the time. It's pretty much awful.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #43899

Steelpoint wrote:I recall about a year ago we did that 'map jam' event where we cycled through several community maps over the course of a few weeks.

I think a semi-regular event like that might make a good alternative/compromise. It highlights other maps, gives feedback to them and possible spurs the idea of running other maps more regularly.
Efficiency 1 was great. I also liked Asteroidstation.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #43969

Cipher3 wrote:Okay Rhisereld, why is Box better than Metastation in your opinion?
Are you really trying to disprove someone's opinion?

Okay, well, may be I'm jumping to conclusions here, but really, it doesn't matter what arguments you bring towards either map as long as the majority prefers the other one. It's subjective, man.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #43981

The funny thing is, a lot of people's only argument against Box "back in the day" was that it was "stale" and "never updated." And now that it is... they still cling to being anti-Box, despite having no reasons left.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #43985

Or maybe just because they just don't like boxstation. While I understand liking a map, I don't understand how you can play the same map over and over without it getting even remotely stale, for both box and meta.

IMO there should be a weekly map rotation of a pool of updated maps to keep things more varied, but put server 1 and 2 on different rotations so if you don't like whats on server 1, you could just go to server 2, or vice versa.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #43989

That involves having to compile the code, which means 1-3 minutes that players can't automatically rejoin.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #43990

Is it really that hard to wait an extra 1-3 minutes for a round that usually lasts around an hour or two?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #44018

Why not compile the code several times once and choose the files accordingly?
MrGlasses

Post by MrGlasses » #44032

We shouldn't limit how many people can play on the servers.

That being said is there a way for us to auto-direct people to a different server once the population of one exceeds a certain threshold? Or until both servers are balanced, starting at a certain population on one server.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #44054

Rename badger to sybil.
Have two identical sybil servers.
Once population overflows on one, have any connections to go to the other identical sybil.
People connect on that sybil and play on it. Not knowing which sybil they are playing on, just knowing one has less people. But since everyone is automatically connected to the other sybil once the previous sybil reaches a set population, it wont be barren.

Its the perfect plan...
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #44081

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:Okay Rhisereld, why is Box better than Metastation in your opinion?
Are you really trying to disprove someone's opinion?

Okay, well, may be I'm jumping to conclusions here, but really, it doesn't matter what arguments you bring towards either map as long as the majority prefers the other one. It's subjective, man.
I just want to know why people feel that way since they're really not that different.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #44082

Clearly, if this many people want to play, and the only job we have open during high pop rounds is assistant, many of those times there are already nearly 20 of them on the station, it's time to expand the station and the job system.

Not change the station or anything, but expand to it. Maybe add to departments, or maybe even add a department altogether. Time to think outside the box!

Personally I'd like to see some sort of xeno artifact system.
/vg/station Head Admin
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #44216

NikNakFlak wrote:Rename badger to sybil.
Have two identical sybil servers.
Once population overflows on one, have any connections to go to the other identical sybil.
People connect on that sybil and play on it. Not knowing which sybil they are playing on, just knowing one has less people. But since everyone is automatically connected to the other sybil once the previous sybil reaches a set population, it wont be barren.

Its the perfect plan...
>get disconnected
>can't get back because someone took your place
That's a horrible idea. It's not a big enough issue to justify denying people access to a server. Plus people will just disconnect when they see lowpop.
map voter
And see people suicide/disconnect because they didn't get the map they wanted.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #44226

People already disconnect at roundstart when they don't get antag, I say let them
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #44437

New Job Idea

Customs Officer

Spawns at Centcomm

All new arrivals will have to go through the process of getting checked and searched by customs before they are allowed to come to the main station. New arrivals have a chance to spawn with illegal contraband.

New Job Idea

Immigration Officer

Spawns at Centcomm

Will have to help all new arrivals fill out the proper immigration papers before they are allowed to come to the main station. Has a branding iron used to mark all immigrants so that they can be properly discriminated on the main station.
/vg/station Head Admin
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #44438

mrpain wrote:New Job Idea

Customs Officer

Spawns at Centcomm

All new arrivals will have to go through the process of getting checked and searched by customs before they are allowed to come to the main station. New arrivals have a chance to spawn with illegal contraband.

New Job Idea

Immigration Officer

Spawns at Centcomm

Will have to help all new arrivals fill out the proper immigration papers before they are allowed to come to the main station. Has a branding iron used to mark all immigrants so that they can be properly discriminated on the main station.
No.
Last time I did customs officer on a server, I had to arrest an Emergency Response Team trying to arrest me because someone broke a window and electrocuted themselves near my area.
There was also riots, multiple security officers couldn't handle it, etc..
We eventually just had to flashbang everything.
It's the most stressful job on the station.
And, mind you, this was a medium RP server.
It happens with every person who does customs.
Immigration officer will likely have the same effect.
:^)
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #44488

Personal preference.