Ethereal naming policy

Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Ethereal naming policy

Post by Qustinnus » #448107

Bottom post of the previous page:

Nervere heavily requested that I made this

what is the convention for these fuckers? I want to avoid shit names as seen with moths catgirls and lizards where its almost always a joke name.

Currently I'm doing something similar to Plasmaman, where I take a celestial body (Usually a star or constellation) and add 1 to 2 random letters as below:
https://i.gyazo.com/677de02db7f30d0782c ... 5c5092.mp4

I also heard some interest for eletricity related names but I personally prefer the celestial body naming convention due to it fitting their race name. However, I'm willing to change it if support weights more to the electricity side.

also ban losers that dont follow these or ruin the names by adding stupid shit like "Uranus XD". yay or double yay
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Ethereal naming policy

Post by NoxVS » #457839

MercuryArrow wrote:So why exactly are these cool sci-fi aliens using Sol/Common names for stellar objects as part of their own cultural naming scheme, anyway?

I assume there must be a good reason why they're happy to use one kind of Earthly naming convention but using normal ones is out of the question, besides "someone thought it would be cool". Right?
Right?
Well obviously they were more primitive before becoming a species on Nanotrasen stations. They were discovered when they began to explore the galaxy in the primitive starships from which they had viewed and been amazed by the uncountable celestial bodies everywhere. Upon being found by Nanotrasen they were integrated into the station and began to use NT culture, changing their names to new ones based on the names that had been given to the stars and planets they had been captivated by.

And because someone thought it would be cool
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #457890

MercuryArrow wrote:So why exactly are these cool sci-fi aliens using Sol/Common names for stellar objects as part of their own cultural naming scheme, anyway?

I assume there must be a good reason why they're happy to use one kind of Earthly naming convention but using normal ones is out of the question, besides "someone thought it would be cool". Right?
Right?
It's what you get when Nanotransen makes the name pronounceable to humans
► Show Spoiler
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #457984

The hover text for low charge says "go to a charging station, there's one in the dorms bathroom"

not all maps have a charging station in the dorms bathroom
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #457989

I thought the naming implications were that all Alien species are given more 'Earth' based names akin to Humans, or at least understandable to Humans.

Also in the name of the species, Lizardperson, Plasmaperson, Mothperson, etc, etc, are very obviously Human assigned names for their species. Ethereals are a exception it seems, all though its far more likely the name is again a Human assigned one.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #457994

Historically immigrants would either choose or be forced to slightly change their name to better assimilate into the society they were entering, so that's one reasonable explanation you can use
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #457996

Lizard names aren't human assigned, they're translations of the original name. Lizardfolk aren't named at birth, they earn their names as they grow up when the community assigns them a name based on their deeds and personality.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #457997

Until glorious Humans decided to civilize Lizardpeople.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #458001

The tradition still stands, that's where "verb-the-noun" comes from. It's given to them by fellow lizards not humans
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #458937

Nervere wrote:We're just going to stick with how ethereal names are right now, with a celestial body (minus planets) as the first part of the name, and one or two random letters as the second part of the name.
We'll see how this works out. I'll keep this thread open so we can get some more thoughts on the topic with ethereals now testmerged on Bagil.
Examples of proper ethereal naming conventions at the present moment would be:
Andromeda PL
Themis TR
Sol MV
Gamma A
Kepler C

I realize there's some really wacky/long/etc. names of celestial bodies that exist.
Keep your ethereal names reasonable/realistic and there won't be any problems. You may be asked to change your name if it's something ridiculous or stupid.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg