Movement Speed

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454394

Bottom post of the previous page:

As noted by oranges in another thread, apparently ingame movement speed is tied to a configuration option, and thus falls under the administrations control.

My proposal here is to suggest tweaking movement speeds and slowing everyone down. I feel the current 'saniac' movement speeds we have are not conductive to a great gameplay experience as gameplay has a very loose feeling to it with no real depth or strategy to combat aside from who can sprint the fastest and outrun the lasers and bullets.

Thank you.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: Movement Speed

Post by MrStonedOne » #461574

The move speed of any mob can be controlled by the config, there is a config entry to override the movespeed of mobs by type, simple animals seem to respect it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #461583

What about Mobs that are intentionally slower in exchange for stronger attacks. Is movement more of a chore? I guess this also applies to hardsuits. Like plasma men and the others.
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #461608

The original 3 lavaland mobs were balanced around moving much slower (and having a coldass hardsuit) so those at least will always be cozy.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #461610

So

Slow

Why?
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #461622

When we’re on like .12 extra delay and fire “tc trade for a spell blade” cage gives such constructive criticism it makes me sure slower is better
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #462192

confused rock wrote:lmao obscolene how much time are you spending doing literally nothing but walking around I cannot even conceive of being bored by that, look around, talk, listen to radio, sort your inventory, a lot of things are more boring than moving.
this is an over month late reply but literally all i ever do in ss13 is run in fucking circles around the station until someone is Trying To Kick My Fucking Ass Then It's Show TIme
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #462203

obscolene wrote:
confused rock wrote:lmao obscolene how much time are you spending doing literally nothing but walking around I cannot even conceive of being bored by that, look around, talk, listen to radio, sort your inventory, a lot of things are more boring than moving.
this is an over month late reply but literally all i ever do in ss13 is run in fucking circles around the station until someone is Trying To Kick My Fucking Ass Then It's Show TIme
Have you considered roleplaying?
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #462207

Dr_bee wrote:
obscolene wrote:
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #462228

Even if he doesn't consider it, all he does is "run around in fucking circles around the station until someone is Trying To Kick My Fucking Ass Then It's Show TIme" then lowered move speed won't cause him any problems, since he never had a destination.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #463039

since he never had a destination
Sometimes the journey matters more than the destination.
--Crocodillo

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #464061

in which we pretend /tg/station is a roleplaying server
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #464067

Dr_bee wrote:
obscolene wrote:
>Roleplaying.

Yeah, if I'm the mime.

Otherwise, I'd look a bit silly using the ME verb on this low-RP station!
► Show Spoiler
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #464078

Dr_bee wrote:
obscolene wrote:
i play ss13 to play the game, not type words. if i wanted to roleplay, i'd play a roleplaying game. i've spent thousands of more hours playing hardcore roleplaying games than i have ss13, and i'm talking about Literally Typing Out Paragraphs For Every Single Action You Do kind of roleplay that would put ss13 high RP to shame
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #464238

if you wanna play the game then play call of duty nigga everyone is fucking terrified of change these days like quirks and moods can be completely ignored because if they effected gameplay then that'd mean people would have to care that they exist and if they had to care that they exist then they'd cry about it to no end
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #464239

have you considered playing on another server

Just because the rules don't outright disallow your play-style doesn't mean the server's direction needs to cater to you
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #464251

Movement speed changes seem to be going fine.
We're at 1.25 right now, soon to be at 1.3, and I haven't had any complaints directed my way.
My one concern is that the movespeed could be a bit too harsh to Bagil, which frequently suffers from high time dilation levels when the population is high.
This may be a larger concern when we reach the full delay of 1.5. We'll see how it works out. If it becomes a problem, we may be able to just do an override to make Bagil slightly faster.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #464453

did it fix whatever you guys were trying to fix with it? I haven't seen a playstyle difference.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #464466

It's hell on Terry since it lags a lot and we're getting a lot of complaints from players due the combo of lag and move speed
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #464472

Cobby wrote:did it fix whatever you guys were trying to fix with it? I haven't seen a playstyle difference.
I believe part of it was because a large part of tg combat turned into running and slipping, meaning if you knew what you were doing any assistant with a fire extinguisher could bring down an officer (only the smarter ones knew to hang back).

What with slip rework and movement speed, I’d say its doing its job. Might be just me but I think sec is a bit easier now, with disablers buffed every sec officer just uses those.
[this space reserved]
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #464619

movespeed has nothing to do with lag, and it doesn't adversely affect basil at all. people are just finding an excuse to whine. the current delay is some serious baby shit and even at the "final" delay of 1.5 it is still literally nothing.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #464628

i think the delays are fine how they are, if it gets any slower things like new bubblegum will become physically impossible, no more ramping up kthx

also @subject it's more the movespeed interaction with lag they're referring to
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #464641

I will say this again and again until it is implemented, there needs to be a movespeed when dragging a person outside of a roller bed.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #464645

subject217 wrote:movespeed has nothing to do with lag, and it doesn't adversely affect basil at all. people are just finding an excuse to whine. the current delay is some serious baby shit and even at the "final" delay of 1.5 it is still literally nothing.
With more lag and higher delays it adds up and it becomes worse to move since you're already moving slower.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #464651

When Terry bumps up to 100% Time Dilation and you have to watch everything move in slow-mo it's pretty disgusting, but I suppose 100% Time Dilation is going to be disgusting no matter what.
Retardedgrayshit
Byond Username: Darkness12344

Post by Retardedgrayshit » #465947

Now i know a lot of Gamers hate this movement speed shit and i hate it too but just grab some nuka cola or other drugs and make sec want to kill themself its great
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #465950

Dr_bee wrote:I will say this again and again until it is implemented, there needs to be a movespeed when dragging a person outside of a roller bed.
This times a thousand

Stun, grab, and run, is basically how most fights seem to end up, given that the runner always has the advantage, if you want to stay and beat that guy to death you should have to pick between running and finishing them off, not both
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #465954

Fatal wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:I will say this again and again until it is implemented, there needs to be a movespeed when dragging a person outside of a roller bed.
This times a thousand

Stun, grab, and run, is basically how most fights seem to end up, given that the runner always has the advantage, if you want to stay and beat that guy to death you should have to pick between running and finishing them off, not both
Gotta agree, dragging should slow things down, using a rollerbed should slow down a little less. One also has to keep in mind that antags have speed bonuses from morale.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #465997

Antags don't have speed bonuses, but you get speed malices if you manage to be in an extremely shitty mood for an extremely long time, which is harder when antags get a mood buff, but hard for anyone.

Maybe it'd actually lead to the dragnet being used as intended, to teleport prisoners. ha ha, that won't ever happen until sec gets its own teleporter.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #466496

I seriously dislike this change, it's slooooooooooooooooooow
lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #466515

this change has made no difference to rp and made it feel functionally clunky

changing fundamental things such as drag speed are the more notable things

powergamers still drug up with light speed compared to everyone else

in short it's shit, and as i said earlier it won't fix anything, it's an enforcement and mechanical thing that needs to change, not slowing people to a crawl in hopes they'll rp (absolutely bs)

edit: plasmemes are so slow they're almost unplayable now, nobody uses them not even the old mains, this is how bad you made c them.. I WARNED ABOUT THIS
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #466517

On contrary I think this change is awesome. Combat feels more tactical. If needed just make plasmamen faster.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #466526

Nobody claimed this change would fix RP. But it's hard to even think about RP if people always leave the screen faster than you can type "Hey", which hopefully isn't the case anymore.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #466528

lmwevil wrote:this change has made no difference to rp and made it feel functionally clunky
Crazy idea: no single change is going to completely revolutionize the way you play overnight and pretending otherwise is a great way for things to never change for the better

Meanwhile I can finally get people's attention and talk to them before they pop out of existence, if you don't see value in that maybe you're part of the problem this is trying to fix ;)

Any other side effects can be fixed separately, I'd argue plasmamen never warranted having the added slow down in the first place
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #466561

Kryson wrote:On contrary I think this change is awesome. Combat feels more tactical.
What does this even mean?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #466563

You gotta learn how to juke out of the way at the last second for that tacticool feeling
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #466568

MrStonedOne wrote:You gotta learn how to juke out of the way at the last second for that tacticool feeling
still may be worth looking into tying final movespeed to ti-di, maybe bump it up if ti-di goes too high and lower it back down to normal if ti-di is operating at normal levels
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #466569

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kryson wrote:On contrary I think this change is awesome. Combat feels more tactical.
What does this even mean?
Let me expand upon that.

Because it is easier to hit people, melee combat feels more precise and effective to me. The more robust still win given equal RNG and equipment but it feel less reliant on a perfect connection or spam clicking and hoping the other spaceman walks under your cursor at the right time.

Maybe the problem is that I'm not as super mega robust as some of you guys, but this is how i feel.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #466714

Combat is more strategic and "tactical" at higher speed, because you have to account for that speed. With slower movement the skill gap is tightened as you don't need to be as good at cursor placement and prediction. Would 2 players standing still be more "tactical" than ones that are moving?
The speed we had wasn't so fast as for clicks to be "random" when you understood the combat, and all it's done so far is trivialize disarm > tabling even further for tiders and made movement under lag feel like absolute SHIT.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #466715

Malkraz wrote:Combat is more strategic and "tactical" at higher speed, because you have to account for that speed. With slower movement the skill gap is tightened as you don't need to be as good at cursor placement and prediction. Would 2 players standing still be more "tactical" than ones that are moving?
The speed we had wasn't so fast as for clicks to be "random" when you understood the combat, and all it's done so far is trivialize disarm > tabling even further for tiders and made movement under lag feel like absolute SHIT.
100% this

Mickyan on the 'maybe you're part of the problem' posted at me earlier, i'm a plasmeme main, we were already slower than sin and couldn't run past people before saying hey, and have always been shit in combat unless you're on the sec fatboi scooter - the slowdown mechanically made sense because of a few boons they got, and made them feel more thematic as spooky boys looming slowly in thick suits, but now you can't do anything
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #466718

Malkraz wrote:Combat is more strategic and "tactical" at higher speed, because you have to account for that speed. With slower movement the skill gap is tightened as you don't need to be as good at cursor placement and prediction. Would 2 players standing still be more "tactical" than ones that are moving?
Skilled players are able to come out on top regardless of movement speed. The faster the game, the more prone to errors people are and the game just starts revolving around 50/50 plays favoring better latency, larger resolution displays for easier pixel clicking and digital/mechanical aids.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #466825

y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #467023

iamgoofball wrote:y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns
I won't say anything if OUR PRESIDENT makes a return ;)
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #467025

iamgoofball wrote:y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns
I do consider myself very lucky that you are gitbanned.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #467065

this nigga really would
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #467066

PKPenguin321 wrote:
this nigga really would

I have half a mind to believe that it'd go through honestly.
► Show Spoiler
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #467190

Cobby wrote:
this is ban evasion, fuck off
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #467266

I honestly can't tell the difference
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #467269

oranges wrote:I honestly can't tell the difference
i can and ive been largely on a hiatus the last month, but frankly it's not too bad. you get mostly used to it after maybe 3 rounds. it really does feel fucking awful with lag though
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #467277

I guess its just me, but I feel its a tad bit too slow. Still better than it once was, but I feel taking it down one or two notches would be ideal.
[this space reserved]
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #467330

oranges wrote:I honestly can't tell the difference
Same
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #467635

iamgoofball wrote:
Cobby wrote:
this is ban evasion, fuck off
sorry forgot to get on my nonadmin alt so you'd be able to pickup the sarcasm