Languages

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderators: In-Game Game Master, In-Game Head Admins

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Languages

Postby Rustledjimm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 pm #454813

You should be allowed to speak any language you want IC. (Any human language, Spanish, Russian, whatever you know or want to speak)

But you must still speak english OOC and to admins.

Though the official language of Nanotrasen is English and all official business should be done in English. Not doing so may cause a reprimand.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes



User avatar
wubli
 
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 am
Byond Username: Wubli

Re: Languages

Postby wubli » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 pm #454818

To a certain extent. If you made a metagang of exclusively one language speakers, and refused to talk to others in English, it would be kinda dickish.

Let's think of it as: Nanotrasen will employ people who don't speak English (or galactic common, I suppose), but will ask them to be professional and speak it for official business.

Also, I've replied to ahelps in Spanish, unless it was something like a ban, I don't think the language I reply in is really important. Usually it's just for explaining game stuff.
part time magical girl ♡ full time e̸̷͘l̕͝d̕r̛͘͢͟͡i҉҉t́͟͠c̷͝h̸̡͠ ̀̕͟ą͘͘͠b҉̕͠ò̸̡͢͞m̸̀̕͜͡i͞ǹ̕͟͞͝ą̸͘͟͞t͘͢͜i͏̵̛́͝ó̡͢ń̀͘͘
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i was here to try

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Languages

Postby Cobby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 pm #454820

I'd rather not have game-pertinent information be hidden behind a bunch of incoherent text I have to use an ooc program to comprehend.

It also makes communication-based admin issues a pain in the butt, even if they use english in the ahelp itself.

Only good thing is it helps spot meta-relationships since oh wow how did this person just happen to know the other guys spoke their language???
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
subject217
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Languages

Postby subject217 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 pm #454825

literally everything cobby posted

additionally, we literally already have a language feature ingame. use that for your hilarious and cool language RP.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

User avatar
CreationPro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 am
Location: Commiefornia
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Re: Languages

Postby CreationPro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 am #454886

Just imagine me and a few more fucks going "Хос хуесос, ебошим капитана, забираем идентификационную карту хахаха педали отсосали" while a bunch of brazilians in a different part of the station are going "SIDA SIDA HUEHUEHUE" to understand why this idea might not be so great.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.

Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
Image

IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote:i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay


Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.

<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins

trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.

Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.

Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;

User avatar
Denton
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: Languages

Postby Denton » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am #454950

I would rather not have to rely on Google Translate to understand what my fellow spessmen are saying.

About 25% of all players don't talk; if we add another 25% that don't speak English you might as well play Dota 2 on EU servers.
Image

User avatar
Farquaar
 
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Somewhere north of Hogtown
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Languages

Postby Farquaar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 am #454957

Setting aside the negative consequences of Babel-ifying IC communication (as has already been detailed above), what benefits could possibly come from this? How would this make the game more fun for everyone? What strong argument exists in favor of this policy?

User avatar
BeeSting12
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Languages

Postby BeeSting12 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:33 pm #454992

I don't think it adds anything to the game to force people to use an OOC translator to understand what people are saying. Unlike coded in languages, which have IC ways of translating them (pAIs), this has no way besides knowing the language or using an OOC translator. It will likely only be used by metafriends.

This adds a headache to the admin side too. If I had to investigate the say logs of someone, I'd end up being forced to use google translate or ask wubli to log in and translate for me.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
Screemonster
 
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm
Byond Username: Scree

Re: Languages

Postby Screemonster » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:33 am #455085

how can the admins give you brain damage for ooc-in-ic if they don't understand what you're saying

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:45 am #455086

It starts to get old having to google translate everything someone says in order to understand them REAL fast. Even faster if it's a group of people.

I think you should be allowed to speak german/russian/low gothic like the imperium of man HOWEVER do it like a small thing. It may build character if you said a different language's version of HELLO. What won't build character is if you just go Ыщб црфе вшв нщг ерштл фищге еру ешьу ерфе цу учусгеув оукшд,

Probably best just to do accents. When Verena Knox (best character) spoke in what Luke Gadow calls Verenamese, I was still able to understand her accent if I honestly tried. It was fun and I could just ask 'wait, what did you say' instead of using google translate then seeing the translation say the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that google translate isn't perfect. If the admin doesn't understand the epic language of Spainish then you're fucked if the person speaking the language says some tricky words. It reminds me of how in russian servers that I can generally get the idea of what's being said if they type it however sometimes they say shit that makes no sense. You could get away with breaking the rules so easily by just abusing the fact that not every admin knows how to speak luxembourgish WHICH IS A REAL LANGUAGE.

You would probably get paranoid admins who see Руддщ and think to themselves that fuck the ruskies are metacomming ooc in ic keywords to secure redtext i better fucking ban their asses because they'll probably lie or tell me to fuck off

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Languages

Postby Grazyn » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:56 am #455144

You should be allowed to speak a language* if you're wearing a speech-modifying item based on that language, like Spanish for the lucha libre mask and Italian for the chef moustache.

*using the language for secret communication/metaganging/anything that would give you an edge over other players shouldn't be allowed

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Languages

Postby Rustledjimm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:46 pm #455150

Lol why would you Google translate it retards if you can't speak the language then you can't understand it and you'd have to Google translate it in real life.

Or you'd ask them to speak in fucking English like a normal person because nanotrasen requires fluent English.

I'm just saying let people use other languages too in an unofficial way.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Languages

Postby Rustledjimm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:47 pm #455151

OK the metacomming thing is a valid point because people who play this game are shitty
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:36 am #455199

Rustledjimm wrote:Lol why would you Google translate it retards if you can't speak the language then you can't understand it and you'd have to Google translate it in real life.

Or you'd ask them to speak in fucking English like a normal person because nanotrasen requires fluent English.

>lowpop
>try talking to people
>they all know fluent Western Frisian and you don't
>ask them what they meant
>get told to fuck off or actually be answered in english yet still think to yourself I bet they actually told me 'eat shit and die' instead of 'hello'
>if only we had an online tool to prevent this awkwardness because this is a game and not real life


edit: that doesn't even include the fact that when I mention google translate, I mean both ingame and for admins. I hope you don't actually mean to tell me that ALL ADMINS MUST KNOW EVERY LANGUAGE ON EARTH. IF I SEE ONE MOTHERFUCKER USING GOOGLE TRANSLATE IN ORDER TO KNOW WHAT ball liathróid IS THEN I WILL ACTUALLY *BLAM* YOU LIKE A COMMISSAR FROM WARHAMMER 40K

that sounds fun, Rustled. Next you'll tell me that HRP servers should unironically have full pain RP like half life 2 roleplay. Everyone likes stuff like this, ya know, which is why there is no code for ingame languages or pain.

Also there's people who will go 'THIS IS AN ENGLISH SERVER. SPEAK ENGLISH' which can also happen in other servers that are in Russia or some shit. Some people may just dislike you for speaking fluent Anime Avatar while others may actually hold a grudge against you for something that is more petty than your actual attitude or ingame actions.

It's fun to be able to speak a language other than English however no one wants to deal with the bullshit of dealing with That Guy.

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Languages

Postby Rustledjimm » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 am #455215

but this server is tha/tg/uy
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

User avatar
bandit
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 pm
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Languages

Postby bandit » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm #455250

my answer to this is who the fuck cares, we already have groups of people speaking initially non-understandable language (draconic, etc) and if you can get a pAI to translate you can also open a google translate tab with equal effort. let people speak russian IC if the want
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Languages

Postby Cobby » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:20 pm #455257

One is able to be easily decoded ingame with the right tools (and logs show translated), the other requires a program both for IC use and for OOC use.

If I have to lookup something a russian person is saying in a log full of stuff in russian I’m just going to assume they’re in the wrong. I’m not translating 100+ messages just to find the pertinent information for every ticket involving a foreign language speaker.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:45 pm #455304

bandit wrote:my answer to this is who the fuck cares, we already have groups of people speaking initially non-understandable language (draconic, etc) and if you can get a pAI to translate you can also open a google translate tab with equal effort

Draconic
- Fictional language
- Has code in the server which can help one try to understand it if they wanted to for some reason
- Code allows lizards, AI, admeme events, and curators to speak Draconic
Russian
- Real World Language
- There is no code for anything Russian related
- Only people who spent months, even years, to learn Russian will be able to understand the Russian without Google Translate

Also, while I'm talking about Russian, you don't want ЕЩ ЕРУ ДУАЕ! ЕЩ ЕРУ КШПРЕ ТЩЦБ НЭФДД! because I actually played on a Russian server. In order for Russian to actually work instead of looking like äÜÄäßöüäöüüößßö, you have to change some shit on your computer which varies from OS to OS I believe. If you wanna actually try and translate/learn the gibberish unicode text then good luck. This means that if you don't fix this and someone was typing in Russian then have fun dealing with an ahelp involving him.

User avatar
bandit
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 pm
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Languages

Postby bandit » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:22 am #455360

the OP which people don't appear to have read wrote:But you must still speak english OOC and to admins.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

User avatar
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Maintenance
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Languages

Postby NoxVS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 am #455363

bandit wrote:
the OP which people don't appear to have read wrote:But you must still speak english OOC and to admins.


What stops someone from lying about what they said ingame to an admin. Does the admin just have to go through google translate everytime they are questioning someone who speaks in another language?

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Languages

Postby Nilons » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 am #455365

Even with google translate its not going to be a perfect translation and there are a lot of little details that would be lost required for administration
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVd4c1SV2g
Image
Image

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Languages

Postby Cobby » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:54 am #455366

bandit wrote:
the OP which people don't appear to have read wrote:But you must still speak english OOC and to admins.


Admins typically look at IC communication, not OOC/admin PMs.

I did read OP which is why I purposefully tied it to the downsides of having it in IC communication.

If you can't use it IC because of the OOC ramifications then might as well not have the rule at all lol.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 am #455369

NoxVS wrote:
bandit wrote:
the OP which people don't appear to have read wrote:But you must still speak english OOC and to admins.


What stops someone from lying about what they said ingame to an admin. Does the admin just have to go through google translate everytime they are questioning someone who speaks in another language?

Nilons wrote:Even with google translate its not going to be a perfect translation and there are a lot of little details that would be lost required for administration

Yeah, basically what I said

bandit wrote:
the OP which people don't appear to have read wrote:But you must still speak english OOC and to admins.

Cool, the guy who speaks Californian has to tell you what he did in English.

Now, here's a hypothetical: you're talking to this guy because someone ahelped that this Californian speaker may have told someone else who knows Californian that the victim is a traitor. The victim was killed because of that. Here's the chat logs of said event:
Spoiler:
...
[500]john johnson: MY FUCKER TIM TIMSON
[501]john johnson: Hy het 'n skerp swaard Blend Thing
[502]john johnson: DOWNLOAD, maak dit dood, maak dit, boek dit!
...

Now you may be thinking no shit it's hard to understand because you google translated it from spanish -> english -> luxembourgish -> bosnian -> serbian -> russian -> zulu-> Afrikaans however point still remains that if you don't know the language personally then your only choice is to google translate. Google translation CAN work however I have experience in that it can also be inaccurate. Don't forget that the worst offender is the Russian language since you need to modify a PC setting in order to actually fucking be able to READ the russian font in byond.

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:47 am #455371

I actually tried speaking Russian to see how dumb it works WITH AN ADMIN'S PERMISSION. Keep in mind that this text is what everyone sees, including me for some reason despite the fact I fixed it and it works on another server.
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

If you can translate that text into Russian letters then translate the Russian letters by using the russian keyboard (i was typing like i would type words in english) then please tell me. The only thing I remember saying was the shuttle call reason which was 'WE NEED YOU MANNING THE MG42!!'

edit: god damn it john hammerman was funny tho

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Languages

Postby Rustledjimm » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:40 am #455379

Look at that some roleplay
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Languages

Postby NikNakFlak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:42 am #455380

ah yes, indistinguishable unicode that literally means nothing. high level roleplay for a bad idea
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Languages

Postby Nervere » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:54 am #455386

No one wants to deal with a bunch of shitters screaming in Russian or Portuguese the moment you arrest/conflict with them.
Admins included. This policy would attract the sort of people that barely speak English - not fun at all to deal with in ahelps.
This is an English language server and you’re required to speak it.

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 am #455391

Rustledjimm wrote:Look at that some roleplay

Metafriends who are now more snowflakey and harder to talk to?
Extreme paranoia that isn't even justified in a game about atmospherics and being paranoid?
Admins having to find out what the fuck someone is saying when their google translate skills aren't good enough for the moment?

At bare mininum if there was a alot of determination to go god damn it guys i want my Spanish metagangs, Russian/any language spoken in mainly special symbols needs to be event only or not allowed at all. Not everyone has working russian font so it's just a complete nightmare for everyone involved, including actual people who may know Russian and don't just translate it.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Languages

Postby Cobby » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:54 am #455397

Rustledjimm wrote:Look at that some roleplay


> wants to ban people who say lol, a widely understood phrase used as shorthand for "laugh at loud" (you can say "lol" phoenetically)
> claims random letters with accents and &#### is roleplay

Could you give your definition of roleplay? I'm a bit confused.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Languages

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 am #455415

Cobby wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:Look at that some roleplay


> wants to ban people who say lol, a widely understood phrase used as shorthand for "laugh at loud" (you can say "lol" phoenetically)
> claims random letters with accents and &#### is roleplay

Could you give your definition of roleplay? I'm a bit confused.

could be bait.

because pranking people in the policy discussions is a good meme.

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Languages

Postby Grazyn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:37 am #455438

Or you could make it so that special characters show up as gibberish for everyone so Russians can't use Cyrillic to metagang. One question though, whenever I use a special character from my keyboard like à, ù etc. the phrase simply doesn't appear in the chat log and I think it doesn't get sent at all, this has ruined many attempt at speaking Italian, why is that?

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Languages

Postby Rustledjimm » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:13 am #455448

Honestly I never thought this would be accepted at all and I know the issues with it but I thought it would be an interesting discussion and it has been thank you.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

Tlaltecuhtli
 
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Languages

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:42 am #455473

only time i saw someone speak not english it was a br griefer and a balkan metagang

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Languages

Postby Arianya » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm #455656

Cobby wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:Look at that some roleplay


> wants to ban people who say lol, a widely understood phrase used as shorthand for "laugh at loud" (you can say "lol" phoenetically)
> claims random letters with accents and &#### is roleplay

Could you give your definition of roleplay? I'm a bit confused.


Can we discuss the fact that cobby thinks "lol" stands for "laugh at loud"?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

User avatar
BeeSting12
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Languages

Postby BeeSting12 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:02 pm #455663

Arianya wrote:
Cobby wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:Look at that some roleplay


> wants to ban people who say lol, a widely understood phrase used as shorthand for "laugh at loud" (you can say "lol" phoenetically)
> claims random letters with accents and &#### is roleplay

Could you give your definition of roleplay? I'm a bit confused.


Can we discuss the fact that cobby thinks "lol" stands for "laugh at loud"?

lal
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
elyina
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 pm
Location: burning in hell for my sins
Byond Username: Elyina

Re: Languages

Postby elyina » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:04 pm #455680

This is an English speaking server, it's common sense why you'd be required to speak English on a game of this nature. If someone is not willing to speak English there are other servers that may be able to accommodate them.
Image

User avatar
D&B
 
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:23 am
Location: *teleports behind you*
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Languages

Postby D&B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm #455681

Maybe if you stopped unbanning people that were accused of metagrouping and were harsher on metagroups you wouldn't have to tip toe around policies because of them
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?

J_Madison wrote:that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you

ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Languages

Postby Cobby » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 pm #455690

Arianya wrote:
Cobby wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:Look at that some roleplay


> wants to ban people who say lol, a widely understood phrase used as shorthand for "laugh at loud" (you can say "lol" phoenetically)
> claims random letters with accents and &#### is roleplay

Could you give your definition of roleplay? I'm a bit confused.


Can we discuss the fact that cobby thinks "lol" stands for "laugh at loud"?


I can never come back to this community again haha Jesus
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Languages

Postby Arianya » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:12 pm #455702

While I appreciate the intent, and agree that the world of SS13 would become more "alive" for that kind of variety, having people speaking different languages in IC causes a lot of issues. Metacliques are one (and exist in almost any game, regardless of Repukan's assertion) but the other is that even well intentioned use can act as a barrier to players engaging in the round. Imagine if your department radio is just everyone except you speaking Spanish, it'd be almost useless to you.

The better way to implement something like this would be through the Languages system we already have in game, but that's more of a coding thing than a policy one.

In summary, please do not use languages other than English in IC or OOC.
Last edited by Arianya on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed my own spelling error
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg


Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jaredfogle, NoxVS