new lawset
5%

Total votes: 44

lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

It's time to fix Asimov

Post by lmwevil » #459337

Bottom post of the previous page:

after debating with Ari in adminbus for a fucking eternity, I'll pose it to the community at large to see their thoughts.

silicon policy is a hot mess, this isn't about that at core but asimov as a whole. we have all these restrictions upon how to interpret the very lawset designed to cause chaos and drive interesting narrative in asimov's books.

it's not in the spirit of issac's work to restrict it to such a point that we may as well just use another lawset for less conflicts and issues. i don't care about the rest of silicon policy, just about the restrictions we have on how the laws must be interpreted, therefore ruining the core spirit of synthetic brains following their laws TO THE LETTER (normal rules withstanding, don't be a dick etc)
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Re: It's time to fix Asimov

Post by lmwevil » #462956

FYI I didn't debate in this thread namely because I don't have much to say, if silicon policy could be reduced to 'act in good faith' or something that simple it'd make me happy, but realistically it'll never happen

just like the headmins will never reply to the thread with their thoughts on potential improvements
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #463053

lmwevil wrote:FYI I didn't debate in this thread namely because I don't have much to say, if silicon policy could be reduced to 'act in good faith' or something that simple it'd make me happy, but realistically it'll never happen

just like the headmins will never reply to the thread with their thoughts on potential improvements
I think it seems simple because most of us in the thread are thinking about what "act in good faith" means to a reasonable and prudent human being, which is not the average player.
--Crocodillo

Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #463280

[Trimmed idea about removing AI Upload and instead having a 1x3 room in the captains bathroom instead. No cameras in the bathroom because the AI doesn't need to see the caps junk. Same logic applies to 'prisoner transfer room' of perma.]

It may seem odd but imo is related to AI policy because even the map/physical side of AI 'management' in-game is absolute ass and done bad. If you did this upload change and your only worry/answer is how assistants will B&E the office then it's not a problem about where the upload is at all and it's a player issue/attitude problem related to the server more than mapping. Which kind of sums up the problems with AIs and synths and their laws overall: a player issue and one that is accepted because there is a certain mindset of the server that is accepted. There is no fixing this via laws and bullshit policy.

Bottom line: borgs are fine. You can turn them into crew with little work if you ask me if you accept just cutting out the AI.
Result: Cameras matter. You can actually be sneaky. There is no god-eye wandering almost everywhere that can open/close things. This just starts the list of positives if you ask me and the overall effect of not having to worry about the AI or how it effects almost everything in-game.