Does the detective fluff matter?

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderators: In-Game Game Master, In-Game Head Admins

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
tinodrima7020
 
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby tinodrima7020 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 pm #465517

obscolene wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:Istoprocent gives detectives a bad name
Image
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.



User avatar
Pepper
 
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm
Location: Ya like Huey Lewis and the Nukes?
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Pepper » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 pm #465524

Istoprocent1 wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:Disarms exist. Slips exist.


Hey, newfriend who has never been on field, if you open yourself up for 50/50 plays,

Detective armor is a retard helmet, this post was made by noir trenchcoat gang
Image


help

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby confused rock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 pm #465525

both actually have the same armor- if anything, the coat is better armored, since it covers lotsa shit.
source: vague memory that's probably mostly accurate.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
DrunkenMatey
 
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:21 pm
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby DrunkenMatey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 pm #465526

Nilons wrote:Detectives should be encouraged to actually play like a detective but it shouldn't be against the rules to be a shit detective who goes around acting like an officer

Should be treated like a shoeless clown


As i mentioned in my post though... the shoeless clown typically doesnt have a gun or the backing of sec.

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Nilons » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:26 pm #465527

DrunkenMatey wrote:
Nilons wrote:Detectives should be encouraged to actually play like a detective but it shouldn't be against the rules to be a shit detective who goes around acting like an officer

Should be treated like a shoeless clown


As i mentioned in my post though... the shoeless clown typically doesnt have a gun or the backing of sec.

Yeah the clown also isn't treated like security and doesn't have the same expectations as security.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVd4c1SV2g
Image
Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:19 am #465545

Most of the time there is nobody going after the clown, meanwhile antags will be wanting to take out the detective. Removing the ability to defend themselves or allowing players to take on the detective and crying in ahelps that "It was just a prank" is in bad faith. Guy is too good as a detective, better nerf the profession. Its like nerfing antags, because Lexia Black is too much to handle.

Edit: As it has been pointed out, my style has been involving me doing all the legwork and capturing people via intel. There have been next to no cases of "lol shoot the random W to crit".

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby confused rock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:23 am #465548

Antags will be wanting to take out the detective, so he has a gun to protect himself from them. using it to arrest people is defeating the purpose of detectives who could be sniffing many more crimes. if you're just going to ask for all the equipment sec officers get, just play sec officer. if you're going to treat all the equipment a sec officer has as obligatory for a detective, then what are sec officers if not an inferior detective? I equate it precisely with wardens leaving the brig, for the reason that a warden is directly superior to an officer if they leave the brig, but they won't leave the brig if they aren't a waste of oxygen.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:35 am #465552

confused rock wrote:Antags will be wanting to take out the detective, so he has a gun to protect himself from them.


Sometimes it feels like people are on a completely different plane of existence. Protect from what? Game is full of 1 hit ggs and the 4 shots needed to connect to the head will never happen, if an antag pulls an ebow and you can safely alt+tab out to watch funny cat pictures on the internet as the round ended for you then and there. Anybody who is trying to react in a laggy pixellated 2D spessman loses 9 times out of 10.

confused rock wrote: who could be sniffing many more crimes.


If detective wanted to sniff out the countless 1 minute sentences of tiders, then the job would become even less played than it is played now, which has been me, because nobody already wants to play the detective. This also applies to security, which is underfilled most of the time.

confused rock wrote:if you're just going to ask for all the equipment sec officers get, just play sec officer. if you're going to treat all the equipment a sec officer has as obligatory for a detective, then what are sec officers if not an inferior detective? I equate it precisely with wardens leaving the brig, for the reason that a warden is directly superior to an officer if they leave the brig, but they won't leave the brig if they aren't a waste of oxygen.


For me officers and the detective are on the same level. The whole sec team is working for an united goal of catching the bad guys and making sure the station is safe. Trying to say that "lol detective is not a security and should be hiding in his cave only letting antags know over sec radio that they have been found out" is not the way anybody wants to play the game. Its only people who don't want to be robusted.

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby confused rock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 am #465554

Maybe
hear me out
maybe the reason you feel you lose every time an antag pulls out an ebow which needs 2 years to recharge
is cuz you're bad at combat.
I like to be thorough as detective and find the crimes that have had even minor effort put in to hide, instead of sec officer 3: blood loss edition. Security and detective are different jobs, and should be played differently, otherwise detectives wouldn't exist and sec would have the scanner, and atmospherics would be just a second area for engineers to fiddle with. Hmm, actually, maybe that "just give sec officers the scanner" idea isn't the worst I've had.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
DrunkenMatey
 
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:21 pm
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby DrunkenMatey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:05 am #465556

Another crazy thing to consider here, but like... dying doesn't mean you LOST THE GAME. Sometimes you dying is a good contribution to the enjoyment of others and the round in general. I am pretty mild in regards to combat, I typically react to threats which as you say, gets me dead pretty often and that is fine. I would rather try to talk people into surrendering and coming to the brig if they aren't being hostile or an obvious threat. You could think of it like real world policing I guess. If you take an average cop in an average district in an average country, the majority of their calls are not going to require them to draw their weapon or hurt anyone; SS13 is obviously more dangerous than that, but I think the RP at shift start is to assume you are on a relatively normal and sane space station until proven otherwise (maybe that's just my thinking though). So, sure if you see a violent crime in progress you can get violent, or if you see someone with a weapon out you can take them down first, but if you roll around shooting everyone in case they MIGHT HAVE A GG 1 HIT weapon then I call that shitsec. Or if you go "well I saw them do something that would suggest they are antag so that means it is valid to shoot the fuck out of them even though I haven't really seen them do anything dangerous" then I call that validhunting. Neither is necessarily breaking rules, but I personally dislike both (granted you have no obligation to give a shit what I think).

User avatar
Hathkar
TGMC Administrator
 
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 am
Byond Username: Hathkar

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Hathkar » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 am #465570

Pro as Heck Guide to Detective by Launch Kusami

Important items on the job!

Items in your office and locker:
    Crew pinpointer, which helps you find people who have maxed out suit sensors.
    Pepper spray, which is handy for dealing with greytide in a pinch.
    Sunglasses on your desk. These keep your eyes safe from attack, and help you look stylish.
    Handcuffs so you'll be able to make an arrest if needed.
    The Camera should also be on your desk as well. Grab it, and wear it around your neck. This way you can take photos of evidence and crime scenes.
    Your feared and loathed DETECTIVE'S REVOLVER. This baby deals the same amount of damage as a stechkin pistol, but with a lower magazine size. This should be used as a LAST resort when dealing with criminals, other methods have failed, or are far too dangerous. For instance, gunning people down in the halls is generally seen as poor form, unless they're actively armed with a dangerous weapon. Drawing your gun is an invitation for it to get stolen.
    Your trusty wooden police baton. Doubles as a handy backscratcher.
    Evidence bag box, as well as a forensic scanner. These items are the key to being a good detective. Scan the evidence, then use the evidence bag on it to put it in the bag. Storage items like bags or boxes, you'll need to put the container in the evidence bag by hand.

Items from elsewhere:
    Handheld Crew Monitor from medbay, so you can track people's health and positions in real time. Useful for finding bodies, or dying people.
    Station Bounced Radio, for when comms go down.

What should I be doing as detective?
Listen on communications for crimes, and then go check that area out! Emagged doors? Scan 'em! Bloody footprints leading into maint? Scan 'em!
Once you've scanned in some evidence, you can use your scanner in-hand to print out a report. Head back to your office, and check those DNA and fingerprint scans!
Nothing happening on comms? Check the camera console in your office!

Once you've got a suspect or potential suspect, go ahead and add a crime to the database, and set the perp to arrest. Tell the rest of security who you've set to wanted, and why. Hopefully, your co-workers will bring in the perp for questioning. In theory, the warden should be collecting the evidence from them, but chances are, you'll have to do it. Scan the evidence with your scanner, and bag those items in evidence bags.

Chances are, you'll hear someone cry for help on security or regular comms. How you respond should be based on how many officers there are, and how dangerous the station is. If there are plenty of officers, let them do their jobs, or tag along with them to show them the way with your crew pinpointer. If security is criminally ( :honk: ) understaffed, you'll probably have to search for the hurt person yourself. Remember, you can't solve the crime if you're dead. Don't take unnecessary risks, retreat if needed.

Oh shit, there's a criminal and there's no other officers in the area!
Ask yourself the following questions:
Is the criminal dangerous?
Are there vigilantes in the area?
Are you hurt?
Are you ready for a fight if it should break out?
Do you have cuffs to arrest the perp?
Does anyone know where you are, if you should happen to get dragged off?
Do you feel like giving someone a free gun?
Do you feel lucky?

User avatar
gum disease
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm
Location: England
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby gum disease » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:35 am #465574

The reason why most detectives are generally awful is because they ignore this aspect of their job:
You are not Security. You are an investigator. Your revolver is only for self-defense.

I had a round where it was cult, I was implanted and was helping sec look for cultists to fight back. Was standing still with a baseball bat and a buckler thing with a holymelon in my pocket. Detective appears and shoots me into crit from several tiles away. My eyes were visible and they did not show the flavour text that makes it easier to identify cultists. Eventually I get helped, but I still almost die from low blood oxyloss because this lad resorted to lethals first. When a sec officer encountered me in maint prior to this, and prior to me being implanted - he asked me to toss over my bag and show my face. Upon seeing that I was not carrying cult paraphernalia - he encouraged me to get implanted ASAP. You can see the stark difference between these two players almost immediately. The sec officer could've tased me, detained me and forcibly dragged me to sec, but he gave me the benefit of the doubt (even though that could've gone badly for him if I was a cultist and not unrobust). The detective pulled his gun out and gatted me immediately after seeing me on his screen, no investigation done whatsoever and I would not deem what he did to be in self-defense.

People don't like Istoprocent's playstyle because he is a detective who tends to play like he's a sec officer. He's also generally quite unpleasant to interact with as a player as well. I'm sure there are some times when this isn't the case, but I personally haven't seen it.

That being said, some detectives do play the role just fine and actually make an effort to investigate crimes and impart their findings to sec. It's more that a few bad apples are spoiling the bunch, tbh.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.

somerandomguy
 
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby somerandomguy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 am #465584

Iso is a shit detective but it shouldn't be bannable to arrest as det, just demote shitty dets and deny them sechuds IC
Or, hell, roll det yourself and be good

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Steelpoint » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:34 am #465585

If you want to enforce gameplay and roleplay standards on the Detective then you'll need to start the same with the rest of the crew, starting with assistants.
Image

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 am #465587

Hathkar wrote:Pro as Heck Guide to Detective by Launch Kusami


Needs to be posted on the wiki, for a clear reminder of what a detective is for. It'll lower detective grief, and the people who look at it for refreshers will grief less.

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
imsxz
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby imsxz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:44 am #465601

dunno if its been said yet but it's defintiely a codebase issue. code enables detective to do this type of thing too easily. It'd be better in the long run to make detective a lawyer tier job with no brig access and more limited weaponry, maybe ditch the mindshield implant too. I know that's not the direction detective players probably want their role taken but it's quite apparent that limiting detective via policy isn't a good idea given how theres barely any other restrictions like this in TG.

My reasoning for it being a code issue rather than a policy one is due to the fact that ZERO jobs have restrictions on arresting people for valid reasons in the rules, it's only common that detectives are seen arresting petty criminals because they're incentivized to with their easy access to stun weaponry and restraints, coupled with security access and communications. It's no wonder people naturally play detective like an officer, they spawn inside security on metastation and get the same security red doors on every map.
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:22 am #465619

Its good to see bunch of HeavyRPs here, who never actually play sec on regular basis. Taking out the frustration on security and on detective players is not the way to fix the things that are broken.

DrunkenMatey wrote:dying doesn't mean you LOST THE GAME.


Agreed. Dying kinda removes your ability to play the game and if you happen to have sec on high, then you might as well be spending your time doing something else, because there is next to no value to be gained by being dead and observing "heavyRP action of assistants and other tiders fucking shit up" and random screams of "HIVEMIND?!!" "HIVEMIND!!!".

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Steelpoint » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:23 am #465621

Detectives acting more like Sec Officers is oft due to them being the only sec on shift.

I do not believe at all that detectives should not arrest for crimes, thats a stupid restriction.
Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:51 am #465637

Steelpoint wrote:Detectives acting more like Sec Officers is oft due to them being the only sec on shift.

I do not believe at all that detectives should not arrest for crimes, thats a stupid restriction.


Thats often the case.

If people get so dramatic about "detective's revolver", just change the code to give them a disabler / taser and a hud at round start. There is no reason why any NT employee should have ballistic weaponry on a space station with glass windows, especially if the revolver is worse than sawn off improvised shotgun or standard issue taser.

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Malkraz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:18 am #465646

so many people here are about to be accused of being my metafriends for gang-disagreeing with the lizard
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby wesoda25 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:41 am #465650

Istoprocent1 wrote:Its good to see bunch of HeavyRPs here, who never actually play sec on regular basis. Taking out the frustration on security and on detective players is not the way to fix the things that are broken.

DrunkenMatey wrote:dying doesn't mean you LOST THE GAME.


Agreed. Dying kinda removes your ability to play the game and if you happen to have sec on high, then you might as well be spending your time doing something else, because there is next to no value to be gained by being dead and observing "heavyRP action of assistants and other tiders fucking shit up" and random screams of "HIVEMIND?!!" "HIVEMIND!!!".

I play sec on a more regular basis than you and I still think you're shit.

It's almost as if I'm a player who can enjoy the combat and fun aspects of ss13. You limit yourself to this shitty mentality and playstyle of "BEAT THE [insert anyone who might oppose you at any given time here] BEFORE THEY BEAT ME" which makes you unforgiving and a dick.

Admins should sec ban and force pacifism this guy for a month, who knows he might just learn something.

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 am #465651

wesoda25 wrote:
Istoprocent1 wrote:Its good to see bunch of HeavyRPs here, who never actually play sec on regular basis. Taking out the frustration on security and on detective players is not the way to fix the things that are broken.

DrunkenMatey wrote:dying doesn't mean you LOST THE GAME.


Agreed. Dying kinda removes your ability to play the game and if you happen to have sec on high, then you might as well be spending your time doing something else, because there is next to no value to be gained by being dead and observing "heavyRP action of assistants and other tiders fucking shit up" and random screams of "HIVEMIND?!!" "HIVEMIND!!!".

I play sec on a more regular basis than you and I still think you're shit.

It's almost as if I'm a player who can enjoy the combat and fun aspects of ss13. You limit yourself to this shitty mentality and playstyle of "BEAT THE [insert anyone who might oppose you at any given time here] BEFORE THEY BEAT ME" which makes you unforgiving and a dick.

Admins should sec ban and force pacifism this guy for a month, who knows he might just learn something.


Thank you for the chuckle. All it boils down is people being salty about somebody actually doing their job (which happens to be security related) and they have hard time understanding how is somebody able to do it so frequently, yet not get bored. How about this - instead of trying to put sec players down, you disable your antag options, pick and job (aside from non-roles such as an assistant) and play that for a week. Then report here how many times you got randomly shot at when you were grinding at your workplace.

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby wesoda25 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:51 am #465652

Istoprocent1 wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:
Istoprocent1 wrote:Its good to see bunch of HeavyRPs here, who never actually play sec on regular basis. Taking out the frustration on security and on detective players is not the way to fix the things that are broken.

DrunkenMatey wrote:dying doesn't mean you LOST THE GAME.


Agreed. Dying kinda removes your ability to play the game and if you happen to have sec on high, then you might as well be spending your time doing something else, because there is next to no value to be gained by being dead and observing "heavyRP action of assistants and other tiders fucking shit up" and random screams of "HIVEMIND?!!" "HIVEMIND!!!".

I play sec on a more regular basis than you and I still think you're shit.

It's almost as if I'm a player who can enjoy the combat and fun aspects of ss13. You limit yourself to this shitty mentality and playstyle of "BEAT THE [insert anyone who might oppose you at any given time here] BEFORE THEY BEAT ME" which makes you unforgiving and a dick.

Admins should sec ban and force pacifism this guy for a month, who knows he might just learn something.


Thank you for the chuckle. All it boils down is people being salty about somebody actually doing their job (which happens to be security related) and they have hard time understanding how is somebody able to do it so frequently, yet not get bored. How about this - instead of trying to put sec players down, you disable your antag options, pick and job (aside from non-roles such as an assistant) and play that for a week. Then report here how many times you got randomly shot at when you were grinding at your workplace.

I don't think you understand how little sense you just made. Whatsoever. Are you talking about how we need security? I think so. But why in the fuck are you telling me this, I literally play security and non security roles, and newsflash bucko, we have better alternatives to not getting shot up than you.

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:15 am #465654

wesoda25 wrote:I don't think you understand how little sense you just made.


Let me make it clear for you. Tiders and antags would love nothing more than to see no sec at all and support restricting sec in any way they can, so they could tide or traitor freely without the fear of getting brigged for it.

Again, sec was never the problem, it was the tiding and tiders. Rather than change the way sec needs to play, I would: restrict assistant access (remove maint), restrict assistantcurity (no assistant can make arrests or hinder anybody in any way, unless they are being attacked) and enforce anti-tiding rules. Things would get better in a week and nobody would have any problems with sec as the tiders would be gone.

Edit: Normal people who are doing their jobs and not being shitters will rarely have problems with sec. Making sec players ask for a scanner instead being able to sign up as a detective due to some policy makes no sense.

When you are a non-antag:

Break into caps? Instead of valid, banned.
Steal restricted items? Instead of valid, banned.
etc

Will the game be more fun? Probably not, but it will be instantly higher on the RP scale.

User avatar
obscolene
 
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 am
Location: In it 2 win it :-]
Byond Username: Obscolene

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby obscolene » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:11 am #465659

Istoprocent1 wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Detectives acting more like Sec Officers is oft due to them being the only sec on shift.

I do not believe at all that detectives should not arrest for crimes, thats a stupid restriction.


Thats often the case.

If people get so dramatic about "detective's revolver", just change the code to give them a disabler / taser and a hud at round start. There is no reason why any NT employee should have ballistic weaponry on a space station with glass windows, especially if the revolver is worse than sawn off improvised shotgun or standard issue taser.

Remove the detective revolver? Well, okay. If you say so, buddy!
sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)

Image
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
Image
ImageImageImage
Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:19 am #465660

obscolene wrote:Remove the detective revolver? Well, okay. If you say so, buddy!


Yeah, this comes from a guy who mains the detective. I have no problem with it being replaced with a more robust weapon such as a disabler (12 shots iirc, 3 to gg) or taser, which both cause less damage to the crew and the station.

In a realistic situation .38 loses to stechkin as it seems that stechkin fires faster. Not even taking into account the reaction times needed to pull the gun once you are being shot at.

If we are looking for a "self-defense" weapon, then the weapon needs to be a 1 hit gg so the detective would have a fighting chance to defend. Has to fit belt slot for fast drawing. Probably something similar to sawn off shotgun with rubbershots.

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:48 am #465661

Istoprocent1 wrote:Its like nerfing antags, because Lexia Black is too much to handle.

Sadly we have precident for this. Just look at virology PRs. Some of them they made themselves

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Steelpoint » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 am #465662

The Detectives revolver is an iconic item, wanting to remove it is, I feel, a poor idea.
Image

User avatar
Lumbermancer
 
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Lumbermancer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:11 am #465664

If you want Detective to be more like fictional detectives you will want to separate him from sec completely.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 am #465665

Steelpoint wrote:The Detectives revolver is an iconic item, wanting to remove it is, I feel, a poor idea.


Bring back old revolver? Next to no damage and instant knockdown with stamina damage.

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Steelpoint » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:24 am #465666

I'd prefer we decrease instant or near instant stun weapons, not add. Any Detective who is using their Revolver for catching people is a moron.
Image

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:28 am #465668

Steelpoint wrote:I'd prefer we decrease instant or near instant stun weapons, not add.


On the one hand I can't agree more with you, because 1 hit ggs change the game dramatically, while on the other hand we must think of the current situation, where people are suggesting revolver to only be used in self-defense, which doesn't work if there are 1 hit ggs and the revolver doesn't 1 hit gg in case the bad guy actually missed you.

User avatar
Lumbermancer
 
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Lumbermancer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:29 am #465669

Then make the revolver .357 by default. I mod it myself often, just to have an excuse to not give a fuck about grey tide. Unfortunately it usually ends up with a lot of dead assistants.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Image

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Steelpoint » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 am #465670

The solution would be to decrease the availability of instant hit stuns, and not add more to counter the fact.

As far as lethal weapons go, the Detectives Revolver is pretty decent. Its just outclassed in the game of stuns we have going.

If it were up to me, I'd make the only one hit stun guns in the game reserved for the HoS's gun (at a higher power draw), maybe a very expensive/tech expensive RnD weapon and Deathsquad/ERT equipment. Instant hit ranged stuns should be rare and hard to come by.

@Lumbermancer modded .357 revolver is very useful until it explodes in your hands. Small price to pay.
Image

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby confused rock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 pm #465675

Let's say we give the detective a taser instead of a revolver. Then he has a very similar baton, he has pepper spray, cuffs, can easily get a flash and probably flashbangs, and his coat is a direct upgrade to sec body armor. And if you've ever denied a detective sechuds as warden you know they won't take no for an answer and at minimum will get them from another sec officer. Then what's he got to be different from other officers? Well, he has a forensic scanner, which isn't going to be used to its full potential if you spend more time arresting criminals than you spend investigating crimes. He has- I actually don't know what else. A white crayon? Regular sec have evidence bags available as well. A camera?
Detective would then be the most mundane and direct upgrade over sec to exist.
Image
Image
Image

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Skillywatt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:50 pm #465677

I'm gonna say here what I said in that appeal thread

If you act like an antag, you get treated like an antag.

If you're an antag, you're valid.

There should be zero ooc restriction on the detective for dropping someone acting like a fuck on a low-rp server.

The "Det shouldn't arrest" flavor is purely IC, and I've always took it to mean when someone shouts "sec to medbay" over comms, the Det doesn't need to respond if there's officers. Not "well there's a guy who just armbladed the chaplain :s hey y'all there's a ling my detective work is done"

User avatar
Istoprocent1
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Byond Username: istoprocent

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Istoprocent1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:01 pm #465678

At the end of the day making pointless policies that punish people who don't pick the Chad HOS and have the options to do anything they want are going to be silly.

Some, if not most of the policies are only enforced to go after specific players. How many times have you seen people warned or banned for Deploying Barrier Grenade at round start as a Warden? :roll:

User avatar
DemonFiren
 
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 pm
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby DemonFiren » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:17 pm #465685

Skillywatt wrote:There should be zero ooc restriction on the detective for dropping someone acting like a fuck on a low-rp server.

/tg/ is a low-rp server silly newfriend
Image
Image
Image
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Image

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Skillywatt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:34 pm #465702

That was my point, silly ligger.

User avatar
DemonFiren
 
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 pm
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby DemonFiren » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:38 pm #465710

Skillywatt wrote:That was my point, silly ligger.

but not mine
Image
Image
Image
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Image

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Skillywatt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:10 pm #465713

DemonFiren wrote:
Skillywatt wrote:That was my point, silly ligger.

but not mine

Then you'll need to explain because you made no point. Are you asserting low RP means the Det shouldn't arrest or face ooc consequences?

User avatar
DemonFiren
 
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 pm
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby DemonFiren » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm #465717

Skillywatt wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
Skillywatt wrote:That was my point, silly ligger.

but not mine

Then you'll need to explain because you made no point. Are you asserting low RP means the Det shouldn't arrest or face ooc consequences?

I'm asserting that people who believe /tg/ is supposed to be low-rp need to go
Image
Image
Image
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Image

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Skillywatt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:29 pm #465721

Well it's advertised as such.

FYI, I've been here as a player since 2016ish, which isn't long tenured by any means, but I've been around long enough to know the culture here.

Bitching at detectives for arresting screams med/high RP.

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby confused rock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 pm #465724

Well it's not advertised as such.

FYI, I've been here as a player since 2014ish, which isn't long tenured by any means, but I've been around long enough to know the culture here.

Bitching at detectives for arresting screams low/med RP.









Not that we should punish detectives ooc for doing so, but they should definitely not whinge if their superiors direct them otherwise. restricting freedoms OOC with rules instead of code isn't worth it.
Image
Image
Image

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Skillywatt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:47 pm #465725

Absolutely agree. They're certainly open to demotion and I've been a part of that in the past when the HoS told detectives more interested in valid-hunting than detecting to gtfo

somerandomguy
 
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby somerandomguy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm #465826

Istoprocent1 wrote:At the end of the day making pointless policies that punish people who don't pick the Chad HOS and have the options to do anything they want are going to be silly.

Some, if not most of the policies are only enforced to go after specific players. How many times have you seen people warned or banned for Deploying Barrier Grenade at round start as a Warden? :roll:

Why do you play detective anyway?

CrazyClown12
 
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 am
Byond Username: CrazyClown12

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby CrazyClown12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:10 pm #465831

somerandomguy wrote:
Istoprocent1 wrote:At the end of the day making pointless policies that punish people who don't pick the Chad HOS and have the options to do anything they want are going to be silly.

Some, if not most of the policies are only enforced to go after specific players. How many times have you seen people warned or banned for Deploying Barrier Grenade at round start as a Warden? :roll:

Why do you play detective anyway?



To kill people.

CrazyClown12
 
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 am
Byond Username: CrazyClown12

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby CrazyClown12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:27 pm #465834

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Detective


You are not Security. You are an investigator. Your revolver is only for self-defense.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby Cobby » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:30 pm #465837

The wiki has no bearing here unless it's the rules page. I could go in right now as a player and change it to say the detective should play like robocop.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

CrazyClown12
 
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 am
Byond Username: CrazyClown12

Re: Does the detective fluff matter?

Postby CrazyClown12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 pm #465841

It doesn't change the fact that detective isn't security. Security Officer is security. Head of Security is Security. If there was a role called Security Detective, I am certain that would be a security role.

The detective doesn't start with the same access that security has, and has the same headset as the lawyer, whilst security get bowmans. If you want to play security just join as it.

PreviousNext

Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users