You must be 18 or older to play on the game servers.

Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

You must be 18 or older to play on the game servers.

Post by Psyentific » #2146

Bottom post of the previous page:

This is the best thing.

Or, really, it would be, if we had a way to enforce it and keep all the underage b&s out. It's my experience that most of the shitlers you'll find online are under eighteen (And the ones that aren't are high-effort), so now you have a reason to ban them even if they don't give you a technical reason to.

Don't BYOND accounts have a birthdate function?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Re: You must be 18 or older to play on the game servers.

Post by Aurx » #19732

bandit wrote:I know there was a thread that was basically "You're 18, right? Just say you're 18 and this will all go away," but that's not what he's saying. He's saying:

- 12-year-olds forced to admit they're 18 are enough of a common presence in game that they can be used as a convenient example (it's against the rules obviously to know how many there are, but something tells me there aren't many)
- 12-year-olds won't know how to do shit but wander out the airlock, because they're 12
- 12-year-olds won't know how to disable ghost-ears, because they're 12
- 12-year-olds, in their utter ignorance/innocence, will have to watch ERP, because this is apparently so regular an occurrence it's bound to happen eventually

All of which is "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" bullshit. If you're (hypothetical "you") 12 and on the internet then you have probably seen far worse than ERP. Especially if you're 12 years old and playing online games at one point derived from 4chan. You're also probably smart enough to look up BYOND commands, or at least no worse off than your average player. You're a 12-year-old not a fucking vegetable.
Fair enough, misunderstood your post.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #19737

Even the most ss13 ignorant 12 year old could just close the window once they died.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #19820

bandit wrote:I know there was a thread that was basically "You're 18, right? Just say you're 18 and this will all go away," but that's not what he's saying. He's saying:

- 12-year-olds forced to admit they're 18 are enough of a common presence in game that they can be used as a convenient example (it's against the rules obviously to know how many there are, but something tells me there aren't many)
- 12-year-olds won't know how to do shit but wander out the airlock, because they're 12
- 12-year-olds won't know how to disable ghost-ears, because they're 12
- 12-year-olds, in their utter ignorance/innocence, will have to watch ERP, because this is apparently so regular an occurrence it's bound to happen eventually

All of which is "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" bullshit. If you're (hypothetical "you") 12 and on the internet then you have probably seen far worse than ERP. Especially if you're 12 years old and playing online games at one point derived from 4chan. You're also probably smart enough to look up BYOND commands, or at least no worse off than your average player. You're a 12-year-old not a fucking vegetable.
Yeah, he gets it. And yes, this was a hypothetical 12 year old, but based upon reality:
1. Players have been in the past and will continue to be in the future under 18, and if they mention it, they will be prompted by admins to admit they're lying.

2. The wander out the airlock example was from watching my brother try to play for the first time. He's over 18, but it's not farfetched to think a newer player may die quite quickly due to doing something dumb. In fact I've seen it happen quite a few times.

3. Again, this was more of a 'new player' example than a specific to 12 year olds example. A new player isn't going to see stupid ERP in their chat window and be like "Better go start clicking stuff in the ghost tab until this stops"

4. A player who meets the previous 3 items, and who happens to be online while ERP is occurring, will then be forced to watch ERP while underage.

Yeah, you can just close the game window if this happens to you. You can also just close the game window if someone emotes shoving their fist up your ass. But we still ban for that.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #19823

damiac wrote:Yeah, you can just close the game window if this happens to you. You can also just close the game window if someone emotes shoving their fist up your ass. But we still ban for that.
Because there's a big fucking difference between two people consensually deciding to ERP and someone deciding to be a massive fucking tool to someone in-game, and if you still can't tell the difference then, as I said before, you actually scare me. This is literally the equivalent of deciding watching someone's PDA is equivalent to being raped.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #19835

We should keep ERP on our server because children have seen worse shit, this is good sound logic bandit.

Like I said, people who ERP will use a different server and literally nothing of value will be lost. At all.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #19837

Can you seriously give an argument of why ERP should not be banned that is not 'it was always like that'?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #19840

Kelenius wrote:Can you seriously give an argument of why ERP should not be banned that is not 'it was always like that'?
People have given several. No one has given an argument about why ERP should be banned that is not "ewww sex" or "THINK OF THE CHILDRENS".
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #19906

Bandit are you blind or just being ignorant for the sake of defending something you don't even do :)
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #19921

The main question isn't "why shouldn't we ban ERP" OR "why should we ban ERP", it's "is the effort required to ban ERP worth the benefits from doing so". And no, banning ERP won't immediately mean we can get rid of the 18+ rule, to do that, we'd have to completely ban any sex-related material from all chats, and although I haven't looked at the laws myself, I'm pretty sure that would just knock it down a year or two.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #19936

bandit wrote:No one has given an argument about why ERP should be banned that is not "ewww sex" or "THINK OF THE CHILDRENS".
That's not true. There was an argument of people taking up important roles to ERP whole round.

Both sides have valid points. Now it's just a question of what the majority wants.

I have a better question though. Do you guys seriously care that poor underaged will read ERP and go crazy because their poor minds are too underaged to bear it?
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #19939

What about all the violence and gore? There's also torture, murder and cannibalism in the game. Certainly not something a child should be encouraged to experience. I think the warning should be kept even when ERP is eventually banned.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #19948

Some kind of caution that this game is violent and possibly not suited for minors would be perfectly fine of course, but there's no reason to treat this as an ultra-violent gorefest or anything. It's no more or less violent than, say, Team Fortress 2.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #19982

Is ESRB on you guys ass about this?
Pontius Pilate: 'I will not have my fwends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...'
[A guard sniggers]
Pontius Pilate: '...Dickus?'
[More sniggering]
Pontius Pilate: 'What about you? Do you find it... wisible... when I say the name... Biggus...'
[Sniggering]
Pontius Pilate: '...Dickus?'
[Both guards snigger]
Pontius Pilate: 'He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks.'
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
elyina
Byond Username: Elyina

Post by elyina » #20195

why are people still talking about this like it is relevant, enforced or matters in anyway, is the question
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #20381

Because some people (myself included) care.
Uitary

Post by Uitary » #22341

Apsis wrote:Age limit doesn't matter, since most people here act below 18 anyway.
You're telling me screaming in the radio about "Hitler's dick" isn't mature? What gave you that idea?
Spoiler:
sarcasm