Stealthminning to avoid admin complaints for douchey behavior

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Stealthminning to avoid admin complaints for douchey behavior

Post by iamgoofball » #466942

Mirrored from Coiax's feedback thread as it is the reasoning for this policy discussion:
iamgoofball wrote:After getting a complaint upheld against him for asshole conduct in replying to admin helps, he has now apparently taken to stealthminning during tickets to avoid identification.
Should this behavior be allowed? A player cannot file a complaint for abuse if they do not know the ckey of the admin. Should you be allowed to stealthmin while actively replying to and handling reports?

Allowing admins to hide their identity while conversing with players requires another admin to "sell them out", as Coiax put it in the admin logs posted by oranges, and this behavior is frowned upon by other admins.

Discuss.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Stealthminning to avoid admin complaints for douchey behavior

Post by Nabski » #466944

I'm not sure what the "frowned upon by other admins." part of this is.

If there's a ban, it'll show who applied the ban.
If there's a note, pretty sure it'll do the same.

If you've got an admin complaint and don't know who it was was about then just make the complaint with the round ID and it'll take about 30 seconds to figure out who the admin is.
DrunkenMatey
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Post by DrunkenMatey » #466945

Since my thread has in some way led to this I figure I should weigh in. I hadn't dealt with an anonymous admin prior to that ticket so it took me be surprise which combined with how he handled the ticket gave me the impression he was just covering for a players bad behaviour and not taking me seriously; BUT he did identify himself the second time I asked as evidenced in the logs, it was not another admin who had to tell me who I was speaking to and other admins have said stealthminning is acceptable so I can't really fault on that.

But i do vastly prefer to know who I am speaking to, so while stealthminning to observe a round or something makes sense, it would be nice to always know who you are talking to in ahelp.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #466950

The title of this thread is pretty loaded and somewhat defamatory, tbh.

Stealthminning is allowed in pretty much any circumstance. The only real "restriction" is that admins should give their name if asked (and that asking is reasonable. If you ahelp just to ask "WHICH ADMINS ARE ONLINE?" because adminwho is empty I'm not going to humour that.)

If for whatever reason an admin isn't providing that information and you feel they should have, you're free to admincomplaint or forum PM the headmins, either way it's the work of seconds to find it.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg