Headmins should rule based on rules

Yodeler
Byond Username: Supercatbot

Headmins should rule based on rules

Post by Yodeler » #469373

Bottom post of the previous page:

I've noticed that recently admins seem to be making major changes to rule interpretation and policy in the middle of a ban appeal, then banning based on the new policy. Basing what's bannable based on an interpretation that hasn't already been put into rules is harmful to the server and gets in the way of playing the game. The two instances of this I've noticed are escalation and rule 1.5 interpretation.

The purpose of this post is to propose a policy that headmins rule on ban appeals based on rules, and any reinterpretation or additions they think should be added should take effect at the time they are decided, and not be used to justify a ban. I consider rules to be as much if not more for protecting rule following players from bans as they are for banning shitters. If justification for bans doesn't come from the rules, then whether or not an action is bannable depends solely on who is in power at the moment. There would be no way to know whether or not an action would be allowed, except for knowing how the admins thought. What actions are bannable and which are not should be resolved by looking at the rules, as this will allow players to know which actions will get them banned and which are allowed. New headmins who seek to change things should do this by changing the rules, thus giving players warning about what is no longer allowed. Grey areas appearing is inevitable, but for actions that don't merit a rule 0 type response, the action should be make a solid ruling on it, even if the ruling invokes admin discretion, and let the player go with a warning. Players who repeatedly seek out loopholes can be dealt with through rule 7. I would consider making a new ruling to a player's benefit on a ban appeal to be OK, but punishing someone for actions that were allowed at the time should not be done.

The first ruling that bothered me was the reinterpretation of escalation. I won't argue that escalation policy as it is currently written is good. It's horrible. An escalation system that allows you to gib or otherwise permanently remove someone from the round for disarm spamming them to try to steal a tool is fundamentally flawed. But that is the way it is written. The key part of the rule states "If you are the instigator in a conflict and end up killing or severely impairing the round of the person you are fighting, you should make a reasonable effort to return them to life at least once or make amends, ONLY SEEKING ROUND REMOVAL IF THEY CONTINUE TO PURSUE YOU. THIS PROTECTION DOESN'T APPLY TO AN INSTIGATOR BEING KILLED." The rule clearly states that while the victims of a crime are safe from permanent round removal, the instigators receive no protection. In spite of this, multiple people have been banned for removing people from the round. Eskjjlj is one example, as was Spyroshark, assuming he had good reason to know the roboticist was coming for him. An example of how things ought to play out can be seen in Wesoda25's ban appeal. In it, he killed and spaced a man for destroying two Christmas trees. In the end, it was decided that this wouldn't be allowed in the future, but Wesoda25 wouldn't be punished, as he was acting in good faith. This is how the approach to round removal should be changed, not by making something retroactively bannable.

The second ruling is the major reinterpretation of rule 1.5, resulting in a ban. The point of this post isn't whether the headmins new definition of it is good or bad, but that it is too different from what is written to be considered interpretation or the spirit of the rule, and therefore shouldn't have applied to actions taking place in the past. This is the part of the headmins decision that is most important to this topic:
Nervere wrote:The reason why we have this protection in place for heads of staff and security is because there's always that round where some shitter hacks open some door in bridge or captain's quarters and all hell breaks loose. In situations like these, security needs the extra leeway to defend themselves and heads of staff from people breaking in. However, this same privilege granted to security does not carry over 15-20 minutes after the crime has happened, especially if the person has not acted antagonistic since then. Sure, the criminal is still open to full punishment - the factor of time does not change this. However, taking it upon yourself to stun + cremate them as soon as you find them is excessive behavior that stems from approaching the game from a validhunting mindset. Such an approach to the situation wasn't the right response and, dare I say, violated the spirit of the precedent.
Rule 1.5 reads: "Players who attempt to break into the captain's office, head of personnel's office, or the bridge at or near roundstart for no legitimate reason put themselves at risk for being legitimately killed by the captain, heads of staff, or security." As the rule is very specific about the locations covered, captain's office, head of personnel's office, and the bridge, the people allowed to respond, captain, heads of staff, and security, and the incident required, I believe the rule is meant to be taken at a much more literal level, including the time frame limitation included for punishment, that is, none. From how the rule is worded, I believe the intent of it was to discourage shitters from breaking into the captain's office at roundstart while the captain is trying to secure the disk and do other important things by making it valid in a similar vein to killing pets and talking as a mime. Another issue I have with the time frame is that other rules would make anyone breaking in at round start valid, namely escalation and acting like an antag. While I believe the current escalation rules came after rule 1.5 and so wouldn't have been considered in it's creation, the rule that people acting like an antag can be treated like one is old. Anyone caught breaking into the locations listed could definitely be expected to be an antagonist. It doesn't make sense that a rule making people breaking into these specific places valid to these specific people would be limited to a time period already covered by another rule. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect anyone to interpret it in the way described by the headmins unless they were told ahead of time, and therefore they should have been ruled on it before banning someone for it.

In summary: I feel like headmins have been making retroactive ruling on ban appeals to the detriment of the server. Bans should result from rules that existed at the time of the initial ban, not major reinterpretations of the rules. The escalation and rule 1.5 bans are examples which I believe would damage the server if they become a pattern. I don't know the admins' side of this, but I would like to hear their response.

tl;dr: Admins rulings should take effect when they are made and should not be retroactive.

*edit: added clarification as to what time frame limitation referred to
Last edited by Yodeler on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Re: Headmins should rule based on rules

Post by teepeepee » #470303

Shadowflame909 wrote:The point is, it was long after that event took place. They were detained, and they were the detective.

It is not the detective's duty to execute antagonists nor should they do it out of circumstances that aren't self-defense.

It's why they get a weak little essentially lame stun-gun and not a taser.

This is clearly over-escalation when they should have just brought the person to sec and let the higher-ups make their judgment.

He was out of line, and out of jurisdiction. No matter which way you slice it.

It wasn't self-defense, just unlawful enforcement of their version of justice.

I am glad that the case turned out this way, but I think they could have used a better ruling to do so.
except they acted like an antag and can be treated as such so anyone, detective or not can treat them like an antag and do whatever they want to them
Yodeler

Post by Yodeler » #470316

Shadowflame909 wrote:The point is, it was long after that event took place. They were detained, and they were the detective.

It is not the detective's duty to execute antagonists nor should they do it out of circumstances that aren't self-defense.

It's why they get a weak little essentially lame stun-gun and not a taser.

This is clearly over-escalation when they should have just brought the person to sec and let the higher-ups make their judgment.

He was out of line, and out of jurisdiction. No matter which way you slice it.

It wasn't self-defense, just unlawful enforcement of their version of justice.

I am glad that the case turned out this way, but I think they could have used a better ruling to do so.
The rule clearly states that people who break in at roundstart are valid to be killed by security, no overescalation about it. This was 100% allowed by the rules. Probably not ideal play, but definitely not bannable.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #470323

Yodeler wrote:The rule clearly states that people who break in at roundstart are valid to be killed by security, no overescalation about it. This was 100% allowed by the rules. Probably not ideal play, but definitely not bannable.
I don't believe that you genuinely think that "breaking into cap's office at round start makes you valid to be cremated 30+ minutes later" is a good faith interpretation of that ruling.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470324

b-but muh valid!
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Yodeler

Post by Yodeler » #470329

actioninja wrote:
Yodeler wrote:The rule clearly states that people who break in at roundstart are valid to be killed by security, no overescalation about it. This was 100% allowed by the rules. Probably not ideal play, but definitely not bannable.
I don't believe that you genuinely think that "breaking into cap's office at round start makes you valid to be cremated 30+ minutes later" is a good faith interpretation of that ruling.
Breaking in at the time of the crime would be covered by the acting like an antag rule, and reading rule 1.5 makes it pretty clear it's meant to discourage people from breaking in while the captain is busy by allowing them to be hunted down and killed.

edit: Clarified that the second rule referred to rule 1.5
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #470332

actioninja wrote:
Allowing people admin protection if they avoid security long enough (mind that the perp can access more areas than them combined) is way more of an abuse of the ruleset/administration than someone killing over something explicitly permitted in the rules.

If the intention of the rule is that it should be a recent action, I don't see why that's not explicitly stated. It's already a hyperspecific rule, I don't see the harm of further refining it to avoid people getting banned. Leaving it out and expecting people to get the invisible hint is wrong imo.
Malkraz wrote:b-but muh valid!
Why would you not get your valids on something so shit that the rules say they lose the right to play for the rest of the round (((if you catch them quick enough?)))?

"muh valids" should be on nonantag > antag violence where the antag isn't being violent and doing an interesting gimmick, not nonantag > tider violence.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470346

Cobby wrote:If the intention of the rule is that it should be a recent action, I don't see why that's not explicitly stated. It's already a hyperspecific rule, I don't see the harm of further refining it to avoid people getting banned. Leaving it out and expecting people to get the invisible hint is wrong imo.
Agreed.
Cobby wrote:
Malkraz wrote:b-but muh valid!
Why would you not get your valids on something so shit that the rules say they lose the right to play for the rest of the round (((if you catch them quick enough?)))?
Because there's very few cases where I believe you should aim for permanent round removal as a non-antag, and plenty of cases where some players are more than ready to jump straight to it in a way that's ultimately more disruptive than whatever crime they're preventing. Arrest, perma, borg, whatever IC solution you have is all fine and good. But this idea that you need to remove people from playing the game when an equivalent threat isn't leveled against you (or they're repeatedly fucking with you) is generally complete junk. You can especially see this in the complaints of "but they can escape from perma!" There's no regard for other people's ability to play the game just because they did something that annoyed you.
What do I do when I'm captain and Rusty busts in trying to steal the spare for the 30th round in a row? Disable him, tie him up, remove any access from his card and designate him "Big Retard" and toss him out. He still gets to play the game and isn't going to have the means to disrupt it in any way that I would consider justifies preventing his ability to do so.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #470397

The problem is someone who repeatedly breaks in to steal AA is going to take getting fucked with by sec as an excuse for 'muh escalation' to make a stunprod and dunk anyone who was involved in the arrest. Take their weapons, steal their ID, and kill them(but not gib them) if they fight back. And they probably will get away with it cause 'muh escalation'.
--Crocodillo

Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470399

WarbossLincoln wrote:And they probably will get away with it cause 'muh escalation'.
Do you have a single example where that worked unjustifiably? Even if there was a moment where an admin made a retarded decision, it's been made pretty clear that Security has protection due to the fact that it's literally their job.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #470417

Malkraz wrote: What do I do when I'm captain and Rusty busts in trying to steal the spare for the 30th round in a row? Disable him, tie him up, remove any access from his card and designate him "Big Retard" and toss him out. He still gets to play the game and isn't going to have the means to disrupt it in any way that I would consider justifies preventing his ability to do so.
[/quote]
then his metabuddies try to break in and tie you to a chair shouting RISE UP GAMERS for the next 30 minutes until a ling cryostings you and drags you into maint, never to be heard from again.

I'll be honest, sometimes as SEC, I've had enough of some people's shit to the point I'll ask the HoS to gulag for 1000 points or something stupid for certain offenses.

going straight to SEC at round start and walling it off is a free ticket to lavaland with max points when I'm warden. I've been with HoS' that permabrig for that shit too under the "act like an antag, get treated like an antag" clause simply because they got tired of being tided all around and they cant tide if they're rotting in the brig.

its unfortunate because it's basically a form of meta-grudging; you know who the tider shitters are and who wont stop tiding just because you decided to be lenient with them, so they get stiffer sentences.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #470421

Your vision of how people should play the game is fine, that brushing up against the rules and you'd still choose your vision administratively is the crux of the issue albeit not exclusive to you.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #470432

Can 1.5 just be removed, it's both poorly worded and redundant. It's derailing this thread super hard it's so bad.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #470440

We can talk about something else then.

Look at escalation written versus enforced. IE specifically [you can be removed from the round for stealing] and [These protections do not apply to the instigator].

Neither of those are actually true despite the obvious interpretation of those.
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470442

Cobby wrote:Your vision of how people should play the game is fine, that brushing up against the rules and you'd still choose your vision administratively is the crux of the issue albeit not exclusive to you.
While it is arguably allowed under the current wording of the rule, and I have agreed 1.5 should be reworded, it's more of an issue with how some players choose to utilize the rule to the point where they approach rule 1 themselves. Yes it may be "allowed by the rules", but a rule doesn't tell you anything about how shitty the behavior is. I don't think anyone who is well-intentioned and not "out to get the shitters" is ever going to run into problems with this.
But back on the real topic, admins should've just said Isto got rule 0/1'd.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #470476

if anything it wasn't the cremating the tider that was the issue, it was the screeching in adminPMs afterwards demanding the player's head in the form of a ban, seesawing between using spacelaw as justification for their actions one minute, then when it was pointed out spacelaw doesn't allow the detective to execute, swinging wildly to a position of "VALIDS ARE VALID FOR EVERYONE", which comes across as he's going out of his way to kill anyone he can find an excuse for as a nonantag

just admit it's a rule 1 for being a dick and move on
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #470477

Screemonster wrote:if anything it wasn't the cremating the tider that was the issue, it was the screeching in adminPMs afterwards demanding the player's head in the form of a ban, seesawing between using spacelaw as justification for their actions one minute, then when it was pointed out spacelaw doesn't allow the detective to execute, swinging wildly to a position of "VALIDS ARE VALID FOR EVERYONE", which comes across as he's going out of his way to kill anyone he can find an excuse for as a nonantag

the death was still valid and the insigator ahelping is what lead to him getting banned anyways so... where's the lie?
on a more serious note, when will rule 1 be used on people who break into cap office at roundstart, if IC resolution is not acceptable
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #470479

teepeepee wrote:
Screemonster wrote:if anything it wasn't the cremating the tider that was the issue, it was the screeching in adminPMs afterwards demanding the player's head in the form of a ban, seesawing between using spacelaw as justification for their actions one minute, then when it was pointed out spacelaw doesn't allow the detective to execute, swinging wildly to a position of "VALIDS ARE VALID FOR EVERYONE", which comes across as he's going out of his way to kill anyone he can find an excuse for as a nonantag

the death was still valid and the insigator ahelping is what lead to him getting banned anyways so... where's the lie?
on a more serious note, when will rule 1 be used on people who break into cap office at roundstart, if IC resolution is not acceptable
not in the current year
>start adminPMing tider who steals spare
>they go AFK
>about to finish the ban
>they tell me they stole the spare 30 mins ago and I'm legally not allowed to remove them from the round now
>realize they are right
>give them a note about them being a good sport and apologize for interrupting their fun
>go out into the woods and disembowel myself with a fire extinguisher for bringing shame on the administration
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #470493

leibniz wrote:
teepeepee wrote:

not in the current year
>start adminPMing tider who steals spare
>they go AFK
>about to finish the ban
>they tell me they stole the spare 30 mins ago and I'm legally not allowed to remove them from the round now
>realize they are right
>give them a note about them being a good sport and apologize for interrupting their fun
>go out into the woods and disembowel myself with a fire extinguisher for bringing shame on the administration

lol’d
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Yodeler

Post by Yodeler » #470518

Given 1.5 is a precedent for rule 1, using rule 1 wouldn't really get around the allowed by rules part. If the headmins had changed the rules before the escalation and 1.5 bans, I wouldn't have a problem with them.
Vaina
Byond Username: Vaina

Post by Vaina » #471066

I will always refer to this thread whenever that ban is brought up. Asking for consistency in admin ruling is like asking a public toilet to not have shit in it. This thread isn't going to change a thing.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #471096

Saying "but x did y and didn't get banned" is ridiculed in appeals and complaints because clearly we can't trust admins to keep a slight bit of consistency.
Yodeler

Post by Yodeler » #471270

Yeah, this will probably get ignored but wow, I hadn't seen that thread before. That is really how this should have gone.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #471313

Vaina wrote:I will always refer to this thread whenever that ban is brought up. Asking for consistency in admin ruling is like asking a public toilet to not have shit in it. This thread isn't going to change a thing.
I'm pretty consistent on the matter.