Fake Revs

Should people be allowed to run around and fake a rev round?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 45

Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Fake Revs

Post by Pizzatiger » #469430

Bottom post of the previous page:

Lately i been seeing this happen more and more where someone will grab a flash and run around faking a rev round which always results in security implanting 1/3 of the crew.

The problem with this is that we have 3 gamemodes where the antags can be screwed because of these actions at no fault of their own. It screws over hivemind because it locks off a segment of the crew from them and it also has a chance to reveal them to the crew. It screws cultists over by reducing the number of people they can turn into actual cultists instead of the shitty artificial beings and most importantly it can seriously screw up an actual rev round by revealing the revs early because fake flashers are NEVER subtle.

We have rules against security officers going around and implanting people at the start of the round for a reason and when someone pretends to be a rev head all it does is allow security to bypass these rules.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: Fake Revs

Post by Dax Dupont » #470208

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:And yes jerry its pretty easy to tell when its a joke or not. I usually just implant and send them along, but obscolene is right you can just kill them and be done with it.
I forgot to add a prerequisite to my challenge although six months isn't required I guess:

You have to know if it's a fake rev or not by simply looking at them. You are not allowed to implant them.

Obviously if you implant them then you'll know it's fake. I would also LOVE to kill and space fake revs however admins told I would get punished for treating them like an antag. It's not funny what they do.
Dax Dupont wrote:I'm just gonna start banning people who do the fake Rev meme.
Hope it's one of those things where you are seen as a saint and the headmins won't go damn it dax just let them do the meme greytide is fine wtf
I'm blessed by Saint IGNUcius.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #470220

Dax Dupont wrote:I'm just gonna start banning people who do the fake Rev meme.
This is how admins should act, something becomes an issue and you deal with it without waiting for stupid rulings/policy discussions
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #470222

I dislike this but if people are overdoing it then our hands are pretty much forced
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #470299

trolling with fake revs should be an ic/ooc or metagame ban.

you shouldnt know "Revs" is a "gamemode" to fake. that makes no fucking sense.

if youre gonna ban/note people for saying oWo or netspeak then ban for this
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #470336

You're allowed to know all antag mechanics, so we wouldn't be able to use that argument. You can fake every other gamemode to without an issue (saying random codewords is also a thing).

This is the argument we use for "It's [gamemode]" though
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #470395

Cobby wrote:You're allowed to know all antag mechanics, so we wouldn't be able to use that argument. You can fake every other gamemode to without an issue (saying random codewords is also a thing).

Is there a limit to metagaming and metaknowlege? The whole point of faking antag as a non-antag is to stir shit, and at a certain point it violates rule 1 to stir shit just to stir shit.

Purposefully trying to fake an antagonist to provoke a response as a non-antag is fine if it is just your ass who gets beaten for doing it, but if it starts fucking over everyone else it has reached a point where it needs to stop.

If you do start enforcing it, post a notice in the MOTD so people dont do it out of habit.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #470416

Cobby wrote:You're allowed to know all antag mechanics, so we wouldn't be able to use that argument. You can fake every other gamemode to without an issue (saying random codewords is also a thing).

yeah I get that, I'm saying that the rev faking is dumb and has reached the point it should be dealt with from a policy standpoint. it should be made an exception in the rules to the meta-antag-knowledge unless youre also an antag specifically trying to throw the round into disarray.

eta: if we arent going to do this, then start punishing non-antags who "fake revs" for people wrongly killed/perma'd/whatever for being a rev; not SEC.

that is to say, if youre gonna be a cuck and falsify revs for epic gamer memes, then if sec ends up gunning down 5 people, you net a 5 day ban for 5 wrongful deaths
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #470422

Skillywatt wrote:.
See below, it would be covered under being a dick.
Dr_bee wrote:.
My comment was in response to someone wanting to nab these people for metagaming. It's certainly a rule 1 issue when it becomes a problem like it is now but I wouldn't enforce it under metagaming.

In a perfect world we could expect players to run this infrequently but alas, this is not a perfect world lol.

As for the limits of metagaming, I'm not really sure what there is to metagame lol. We encourage wiki use, we allow outside programs when we had telesci, everyone can know how every mechanic (including antag mechanics) works.

Only thing you could metagame is round knowledge like ghosting/metacomming.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #470577

I honestly didn't realise this was an issue until I got spoken to by an admin about it. I asked my friends about this because I was confused and was linked to this thread.

I feel like if faking revs has become that disruptive, (to the point where admin intervention is now needed/exhibiting this behaviour will now lead to it being recorded on people's infraction history), then it would be prudent to explicitly disallow it. Whenever I've seen it, it's usually someone doing a meme, similar to stating WGW over comms or whatever - so basically I regarded it as a benign threat or a joke. If I'd known that doing this was contentious/negatively impacting people's rounds this severely, I personally wouldn't have done it.

If people are going to be banned for this, I do think it's 100% necessary to make this specific change in policy clearly outlined in-game and on the forums beforehand.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #470580

exactly what gum said, i think it's unwise to suddenly start punishing for what was formerly okay without a formal announcement
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #470607

lmwevil wrote:exactly what gum said, i think it's unwise to suddenly start punishing for what was formerly okay without a formal announcement
we shouldn't be doing a sudden crackdown on this in the first place

people affected by naming policy crackdown had no warning either so i guess precedent is set in place
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #470911

lmwevil wrote:exactly what gum said, i think it's unwise to suddenly start punishing for what was formerly okay without a formal announcement
They'll get a warning first as with most things of this caliber.
That's all they need.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #470952

Ayy Lemoh wrote:I would also LOVE to kill and space fake revs however admins told I would get punished for treating them like an antag.
whichever admin(s) told you that should seek mental examination. just obliterate the ape that is deliberately trying to make everyone think they're an antag, then if they ahelp it they're the one getting banned. it's very fucking epic (unironically)
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Suicidalpickles
Byond Username: SuicidalPickles

Post by Suicidalpickles » #474225

recent rev round
actual revhead running around flashing niggas
like three people stand around the revhead all of a sudden/take off their own glasses with the excuse of "i thought it was a fake rev" just because its a le ebic meme trend
suddenly three more converts

thank you very cool!
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #474240

Suicidalpickles wrote:recent rev round
actual revhead running around flashing niggas
like three people stand around the revhead all of a sudden/take off their own glasses with the excuse of "i thought it was a fake rev" just because its a le ebic meme trend
suddenly three more converts

thank you very cool!
Those players should be banned
[this space reserved]
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #474253

Fake revs?

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #474528

Faking a revolution always causes grief, without fail. If someone is pretending to be a revolutionary, feel free to murder them.
If I find someone faking a revolution as a non-antag, they can prepare to catch a rule 1 ban for being a griefing shitter.
Last edited by Nervere on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar