Change Metacomms bans to "2 weeks good behavior"

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Change Metacomms bans to "2 weeks good behavior"

Post by iamgoofball » #473530

Recent admin ruling on metacomms is now that it's two weeks good behavior as a punishment instead of the prior "only 1 may be unbanned, everyone else is perma'd forever" rule.

I suggest you change all retroactive metacomms bans to fit this criteria and also adjust the rules accordingly. After all, cheating is okay now if you say you were really sorry and downplay the severity of it, and also if you're friends with the banning admin apparently, if you don't rat out your fellow cheaters, and your other cheating friends are friends with the banning admin.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Change Metacomms bans to "2 weeks good behavior"

Post by PKPenguin321 » #473532

Nearly disapproved this because of how sensationalist it is. There's clearly no policy being suggested or made here, and certainly won't be any discussion of policy. Approved it so I could reply by saying how stupid this line of thinking is. It's akin to "OH, SO YOURE LETTING HIM X? THAT MEANS I CAN DO Y RIGHT"
Anyways. I'll probably just lock this after 3 posts of not-policy-discussion. That's all
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #473536

iamgoofball wrote:I suggest you change all retroactive metacomms bans to fit this criteria
Has there ever been a case before where the outcome of a ban or ban appeal resulted in a retroactive change of a different ban? If there's not a precedent for an action like this, why would you suggest this be the policy now?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #473537

IkeTG wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:I suggest you change all retroactive metacomms bans to fit this criteria
Has there ever been a case before where the outcome of a ban or ban appeal resulted in a retroactive change of a different ban? If there's not a precedent for an action like this, why would you suggest this be the policy now?
He's not really expecting it to happen. It's sensationalism, a complaint thinly masked as a """policy ""discussion."""""
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473538

PKPenguin321 wrote:
IkeTG wrote:
He's not really expecting it to happen. It's sensationalism, a complaint thinly masked as a """policy ""discussion."""""
Incorrect. I was considering making a complaint, but figured this issue was wider reaching than just a shitmin giving his buddies a free pass.

I'm of the opinion that admin ban appeal rulings that go against the norm change policy, much like a judge issuing a new ruling to replace an old one.

Nothing about these bans were special case or circumstancial, but they got a blanket get-out-of-jail-free card. Therefore, they change the policy on metacomms bans.

You can bet that if there's a future metacomms ban, this specific ban instance will get pulled up and used as "why I should be unbanned" reasoning for the banned person.

You've set precedent with this ban by letting them go with 2 weeks good behavior.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473540

My proof for this is the many, many, many bans where a precedent was set that was different from the norms laid out in the rules page.

In this specific case, the rules page clearly outlines perma is the punishment for metagaming, for ALL related accounts.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473541

IkeTG wrote:
It's the same reasoning behind not keeping someone who 420 blaze it'd locked up for 20 more years when weed has already been legalized.

If it's not a crime anymore, release the prisoners.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473543

PKPenguin321 wrote:There's clearly no policy being suggested or made here
You literally didn't read the OP.

Try reading for once.
iamgoofball wrote:I suggest you change all retroactive metacomms bans to fit this criteria and also adjust the rules accordingly
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #473578

Apparently you can also get unbanned if you ignore context like an idiot. The other person did literally nothing but be in the discord server.

That said, monthbans for meta are dumb and really should not be a standard, but this thread belongs in the hut.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473579

somerandomguy wrote: That said, monthbans for meta are dumb and really should not be a standard, but this thread belongs in the hut.
If you're in a discord where people are metagaming, are aware of it, and do not rat it out, you are contributing to the problem. The only reason you would have to not report it is if you were participating in it.

Metagaming should be a perma ban, as the rule states. Get over it.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #473582

iamgoofball wrote:It's the same reasoning behind not keeping someone who 420 blaze it'd locked up for 20 more years when weed has already been legalized.

If it's not a crime anymore, release the prisoners.
That's a false equivalence, metagaming isn't being legalized and it's still considered one of the worst offenses a player can commit. The bans in question were 'let off easy' because the admin decided to let them off easy. This server isn't run by thanos, not every ban has to be perfectly balanced just for the sake of it.

If you wanted to argue that admins shouldn't go easy on metagaming ever, you should have just started right out the gate with no bullshit attached, but here we are I guess.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473584

IkeTG wrote: That's a false equivalence, metagaming isn't being legalized and it's still considered one of the worst offenses a player can commit. The bans in question were 'let off easy' because the admin decided to let them off easy. This server isn't run by thanos, not every ban has to be perfectly balanced just for the sake of it.

If you wanted to argue that admins shouldn't go easy on metagaming ever, you should have just started right out the gate with no bullshit attached, but here we are I guess.
Regardless of the reasons they were "let off easy", it's still fucked up that they got a free pass when others are left blacklist perma'd for it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #473586

iamgoofball wrote:

Try reading for once.
iamgoofball wrote:I suggest you change all retroactive metacomms bans to fit this criteria and also adjust the rules accordingly
I did, trust me. I stand by what I said earlier, and your further posts about a specific incidence have done nothing to help dissuade me.
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #473587

PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Try reading for once.
I did, trust me. I stand by what I said earlier, and your further posts about a specific incidence have done nothing to help dissuade me.
It's the example incident for this policy discussion.

If I didn't cite an example, you chucklefucks would be all up in my shit about how "theres not actually a problem ur making shit up".

Policy Discussion doesn't just come out of thin air, it's incited by something.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #473590

Anyways, gonna lock this. I ask anyone reading this to refer to the intended use of the Policy Discussion board ( https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=11057 ). Toeing the line by barely following these guidelines in the OP and then immediately going off topic to complain about a specific incident is not what policy discussion is about. A better thread might be about inconsistent rulings (although that may be better fitted to Admin Complaints), or in a different board where I can ignore it. Please follow the board rules more closely in the future.
Spoiler: