Allow silicons to leet speak

Shad0k
Byond Username: Shad0k

Allow silicons to leet speak

Post by Shad0k » #487475

(I hate the term leet speak.)

Hello! A cyborg player I won't name was asked to stop replacing letters with numbers in their speech because they were breaking the "no OOC in IC" rule.
The thing is, nobody complained. We had no trouble understanding them and most players (including me) thought it was a funny and original gimmick for a borg.
To me, it wasn't OOC in IC. They were not leet speaking like some retards on the internet, they were just making their character sound more robotic/weird.

This probably won't be accepted but I'd like to know what you think.
in before "shad0k is leet speak lmao"
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Allow silicons to leet speak

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #487478

I say allow, on the condition that they are required to spell out the number. So "A55h0l3" would need to be said as "A five five h zero l three".
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487511

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I say allow, on the condition that they are required to spell out the number. So "A55h0l3" would need to be said as "A five five h zero l three".
This. Otherwise the immersion break isn't really worth it.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #487538

It makes sense for cyborg names at least, on a side note, new cyborg name obtained!
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #487579

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I say allow, on the condition that they are required to spell out the number. So "A55h0l3" would need to be said as "A five five h zero l three".
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #487608

I can't see this happening because there are usually enough problems as is getting people to understand how laws work, let alone a meme waiving of IC rules for silicons that doesn't even really make a ton of sense outside of like, binary radio, maybe
Limey wrote:its too late.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #487694

Can they do it in borg chat? Borg chat isn't verbal/sound-based, IIRC.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #487699

quite a lot is allowed already in borg chat tbh
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #487700

I see no reason why silicons can't use binary to leet speak. Frankly, so should anyone with a binary key for that matter.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #488552

Agreed. This would also make for a much better gimmick.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #488761

As a silicon I sometimes talk "lik$#@ t!*&s" to give the effect of my voice glitching out, mainly in situations like audibly parsing some conflicting orders. Kinda like how radio jammer fucks up text on comms. Is that too OOC in IC given it uses symbols?

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #488789

the alternative would be me "makes a bunch of incoherent beeping sounds" but they both get the point across so I don't see the harm in it.

Then again my tolerance for that stuff is a bit different than #theothergirls so *shrug*
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488821

imsxz wrote:As a silicon I sometimes talk "lik$#@ t!*&s" to give the effect of my voice glitching out, mainly in situations like audibly parsing some conflicting orders. Kinda like how radio jammer fucks up text on comms. Is that too OOC in IC given it uses symbols?
Symbols equating to corrupted sounds works for me, honestly.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #488935

I once got told by an admin it was OOC in IC to do a glitchy voice like that though
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #488960

glitched text is already mostly allowed unless the admin sucks dick, but you probably wont be allowed to 1337 unless it's in binary chat
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #488969

I don’t get some of the “No OOC in IC” rules considering there are two mechanics that make you use OOC in IC, specifically brain damage and the smile mutation which makes you use the smile emote when talking
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488986

NoxVS wrote:I don’t get some of the “No OOC in IC” rules considering there are two mechanics that make you use OOC in IC, specifically brain damage and the smile mutation which makes you use the smile emote when talking
Both are designed to make you sound stupid. You shouldn't be acting brain damaged when the game already simulates that for you.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #489956

Leetspeak is not allowed, even within binary chat. Binary as it reads is a direct translation of machine language into English and it doesn't make sense to translate spoken english into e1p1k 1337 sp3k. Having numbers in your cyborg name is fine, but beyond that stick to regular speaking rules in binary chat.

However, as the "glitchy" style speaking comes from an interesting roleplaying perspective (and silicons are supposed to be a more roleplaying intense role) it's fine. It's a way to emote that your robotic self is going through some kind of difficulty processing something and it's the only way to type out garbled techno noises.

Talking in leetspeak only makes you sound like a 13 year old and is just English, while the glitch stuff has no real alternative.