Silicon Policy Cancer Thread #416346: Mutations, Shapechanges, and other bullshit.

actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Silicon Policy Cancer Thread #416346: Mutations, Shapechanges, and other bullshit.

Post by actioninja » #488264

Some dumbass argument started in discord over this, and quite shockingly even with how horrendously byzantine silicon policy is there is nothing about it.

Is changing someone involuntarily to a nonhuman form human harm under Asimov Law 1?

On a most basic level, it's not technically harming a human since they aren't injured in the process, but it also removes some protections they would have previously had and feels like a horrifically bad faith interpretation of law 1.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Silicon Policy Cancer Thread #416346: Mutations, Shapechanges, and other bullshit.

Post by zxaber » #488265

I'd argue that if making a law that de-humanizes the crew is considered harmful (or at least necessary to prevent), so would be changing them into non-humans.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Silicon Policy Cancer Thread #416346: Mutations, Shapechanges, and other bullshit.

Post by terranaut » #488271

zxaber wrote:I'd argue that if making a law that de-humanizes the crew is considered harmful (or at least necessary to prevent), so would be changing them into non-humans.
^
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #488282

I would treat it differently based on what they're being turned into.

If they're being turned into a being with some kind of impairment compared to a human, I would treat that as harm. Monkey, slime, any other simple mob, cyborgs. The act of turning you into that is harming the human.

If they're being turned into something physically equivalent and not hurt in the process, like another humanoid race, I wouldn't. I would probably treat that as future potential harm and not be obligated to stop it.

However, we do have silicon policy that force borging someone is harm. So that could apply across the board. I think it's vague enough for an AI to make an IC decision and apply it consistently in a round. Humans could order the AI to stop whoever is doing it if it decides it's not harm.
--Crocodillo

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488294

Policy already exists that changing a human (protected class under Asimov standard) into any other form that prevents you from continuing to exert protection over them and potentially opening you to harming that individual is harmful. Exceptions to this are granted for voluntary cases (volunteered borging, borging as a replacement for execution, etc) Anything that prevents me as an AI or could prevent me as an AI from protecting any given human is harmful enough to require my intervention to cause that condition to cease.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #488297

cedarbridge wrote:Policy already exists that changing a human (protected class under Asimov standard) into any other form that prevents you from continuing to exert protection over them and potentially opening you to harming that individual is harmful. Exceptions to this are granted for voluntary cases (volunteered borging, borging as a replacement for execution, etc) Anything that prevents me as an AI or could prevent me as an AI from protecting any given human is harmful enough to require my intervention to cause that condition to cease.
Can you link to that? I'm not seeing it. Only seeing the policy for force borging/debraining.

Forced Borging is harm cause it involves killing the human.
--Crocodillo

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #488316

Alright, good to know.

Should a staff of change be treated like an incredibly lethal weapon, then, since it can make humans nonhuman with a single bolt? What about meme mutation toxin plants from botany?
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #488405

I'd say it is harmful unless it's a consented thing; which is what Cedar is deffering to as it mentions only borging. We let people who want to harm themselves to do that because it gets too anal when considering cutting someone head open to borg people can be harm. Genetics as a whole is harm as you're blasting a human with radiation in the scanner, someone running into some maze with hazards that can kill you, becoming a potato person, and so on and so forth. So we need to have consensual harm else the AI really gets bogged down and really becomes No Fun Allowed 3000.
Freedom