Jobbans should be applied more liberally

terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Jobbans should be applied more liberally

Post by terranaut » #491832

Topic says it.
Often enough you'll have shitsec spacing a tider for having a spear and sechuds, Silicons refusing to open EVA or Command just being general fucksticks and abusing their power. You ahelp it and "it's an IC issue" or "I talked to them". Later that day the admin has left because there's more in their life than shepherding a bunch of retards in a 2D atmos simulation and the shitter acts up again. And every time I ask myself "why don't these people eat a jobban?"
Back in my day(tm) when I first played a good chunk of the player base was jobbanned from Sec or Command and most of the FNR threads were jobban appeals for those roles. If you killed a guy as security for petty reasons that was a guaranteed week jobban. A jobban doesn't prevent somebody from playing, obviously, but instead is a good way to show "hey, fucker, don't do that again. Go try something else and see how other people do this thing you fucked up royally".
Instead people get warned over gross misuse of their status, a tiny slap on the wrist, and they continue their shit behavior five times and five players have to get angry over retarded treatment before they get a short jobban because a waggling finger going "nuh nuh nuh" means fuck all and won't deter anybody.
This is especially true for security who, by our very rules, are supposedly held to a higher standard.
Some excerpts:
[...] The only exception is that security is generally considered to be armed with non-lethal methods to control a situation. Therefore, where reasonably possible, security is expected to use non-lethal methods first in a conflict before escalating to lethal methods.
[...] Make sure players deserve it when you treat them as an antag, when in doubt, err on the side of caution as poor behaviour on the part of security will not be tolerated.
I don't have the feeling that these rules are enforced at all, but rather that security players get away with way too much murder because "oops I didn't know haha :)" when they shotgun an unarmed dude in the face while having disablers, stunbatons, flashbangs and what not readily available.
Hence, I would like to see more jobbans in general for people who show dogshit behavior in any position of power and not only doing so after three warnings and a note.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Jobbans should be applied more liberally

Post by PKPenguin321 » #491913

Last time this came up IIRC the argument was that if somebody's doing something jobbannable, you might as well just apply a regular ban anyways because it will almost always fall under regular-bannable too
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #491925

Is this a legitimate request or is this just venting about security again?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #491929

people playing hopcurity should be banned from every role except sec officer
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #491930

PKPenguin321 wrote:Last time this came up IIRC the argument was that if somebody's doing something jobbannable, you might as well just apply a regular ban anyways because it will almost always fall under regular-bannable too
eh in the case of, for example, security just lasering a tider to death and letting the chef gib him, you can give them the ol dayban for a bad kill and a longer timeout from security.
cedarbridge wrote:Is this a legitimate request or is this just venting about security again?
it's a very legitimate request and not venting
Screemonster wrote:people playing hopcurity should be banned from every role except sec officer
actively playing hopcurity is pretty shitty but redshirts who scree because the hop wants sechuds and then fucks off back to his office are equally dumb
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #491961

People get very upset when you even temp ban them from any job.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #491986

Screemonster wrote:people playing hopcurity should be banned from every role except sec officer
This has been on the rise recently too. I've seen a decent number of rounds where the HOP gives himself all access and runs around looking for people breaking windows to arrest.
--Crocodillo