Taking Measures to End Cancerous Rounds

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Taking Measures to End Cancerous Rounds

Post by wesoda25 » #493027

Rounds that stretch on forever in stalemate are no fun. Cult rounds where shuttle is constantly recalled but cult never summons, rev rounds where rev heads are hiding, yada yada. Basically rounds that cannot come to an end until a clear victor emerges. Admins are usually supposed to take measures to stop them, but what if there are none? Or what if they're busy?

To what lengths can you go to end these types of rounds? I know flatout mutiny on your team isn't allowed, but what about little things? As cult, can I take measures to ensure no one can recall? Physically stop my teammates from recalling?

I had a rev round where I was a sec officer, but the rev heads were impossible to find. I got permission from an admin to just start chucking heads of staff onto lavaland, so that it might end. Was that just a one time thing, or can I do this in the future?
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Taking Measures to End Cancerous Rounds

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493036

Replace Revs with Speed Revs in the rotation

Drastically Revamp Hivemind

Remove Secret Extended and add the percentage it once held to regular Extended. Secret Extended grief is no fun.

The orange man says to remove blood cult. But my opinion is on the border. I enjoy the blood rites spell very much.

Edit: What I mean by this is. Code Problem, not a policy problem.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Fri May 10, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #493037

if people keep recalling we already have counter measures for that, and cult has limited uses to extend the shuttle using their anywhere tools iirc.

I don't like the idea of just blanket accepting "you can break one of the few limitations we put on team antags if you /feel/ like the round is cancer". If you don't get a response to your ahelp (which you should do regardless if admins are on), start pinging in discord and explain the situation.

I can't imagine a time where you wouldn't get SOME response even if the admin doesn't personally join the server to assess the damage unless it's deep euro hours (in which case idk if rev/cult is available). That said, if such a time exists, I'd prefer you just server hop and save everyone the headache of having to contemplate if the round constituted vigilante adminning.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #493130

Ask an admin before you decide to take measures into your own hands. Admins ought to also consider putting rounds that are suffering out of their misery at times too or assist in hunting down say the last headrev that has taken residence in a locker.
Freedom
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493134

Shadowflame909 wrote:Remove Secret Extended and add the percentage it once held to regular Extended. Secret Extended grief is no fun.
This is a bad post.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493137

cedarbridge wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Remove Secret Extended and add the percentage it once held to regular Extended. Secret Extended grief is no fun.
This is a bad post.
Says the admin who deals with "So this ROUND JUST ENDED. AND IT TURNS OUT IT WAS EXTENDED? WHY DID SOMEONE RELEASE A PLASMA TANK AND THEN LIGHT IT IN THE SHUTTLE?"

but it was sent like 20 seconds before the round ends, since its round-end and thats when everyone realizes the griefer wasn't a traitor at all.

A shame that if the admin can't move quickly enough to delay the round end in time, the griefer has a good shot of going scot free.

That or the admin just was dealing with real life stuff at the time. So they weren't paying attention to all the ahelps that were coming in.

The moral of the story is. Secret Extended Grief has a narrow time frame where you can ahelp and go "Wait that's grief that's not right" compared to regular extended.
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493139

Shadowflame909 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
This is a bad post.
Says the admin who deals with "So this ROUND JUST ENDED. AND IT TURNS OUT IT WAS EXTENDED? WHY DID SOMEONE RELEASE A PLASMA TANK AND THEN LIGHT IT IN THE SHUTTLE?"

but it was sent like 20 seconds before the round ends, since its round-end and thats when everyone realizes the griefer wasn't a traitor at all.

A shame that if the admin can't move quickly enough to delay the round end in time, the griefer has a good shot of going scot free.

That or the admin just was dealing with real life stuff at the time. So they weren't paying attention to all the ahelps that were coming in.

The moral of the story is. Secret Extended Grief has a narrow time frame where you can ahelp and go "Wait that's grief that's not right" compared to regular extended.
The secret is not to wait for the end of round report to press the F1 key and ask. If you think shitters don't grief on Extended compared to Secret Extended you're not paying attention.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #493145

cedarbridge wrote: The secret is not to wait for the end of round report to press the F1 key and ask. If you think shitters don't grief on Extended compared to Secret Extended you're not paying attention.
extended is a fantastic honeypot to observe as admin and watch the attack logs start flying even thoough (theoretically) there shouldn't be any attack logs at all outside of the miners fighting mobs
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #493147

Screemonster wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: The secret is not to wait for the end of round report to press the F1 key and ask. If you think shitters don't grief on Extended compared to Secret Extended you're not paying attention.
extended is a fantastic honeypot to observe as admin and watch the attack logs start flying even thoough (theoretically) there shouldn't be any attack logs at all outside of the miners fighting mobs
There is a reason it is called "shitter safari"

I love extended rounds but I can understand why admins despise them.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #493174

Regular rounds should auto-spawn an ERT when <x% of the crew is still alive after an hour
Extended should be a vote and not in regular rotation
I have fixed tg
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #493193

the real cancer of extended, coming from the perspective of the admin:

all rounds have lots of petty conflicts and disputes, usually people get distracted by something else like a murderboner and be too busy to enact their revenge on the tider that stole their gloves. On extended, you have like 3 fucking hours for these petty disputes to fester and escalate to the point where both sides can legally kill each other and they're both too petty to just let it drop, so they eventually get into a fight and one of them dies and ahelps because it was the other guy that started the conflict. Then you gotta go talk to both of them(or more if it was a large scale conflict) and get a clear enough picture of what happened in the hours of their conflict, and if you're really unlucky you might even have a few of these different situations where you have like 7 fucking tickets open and are getting walls of text regularly by disgruntled gamers, only to realize that the one who originally ahelped was a stupid fucking shitter that should have dropped it and that extended is aids and you never wanna see it again fuCK EXTENDED I HATE SECRET EXTENDED AND FUCK YOU GUYS WHO WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE ROUND TO AHELP SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED AN HOUR AGO

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #493196

Sounds more like the issue is with escalation policy than extended.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493197

Hathkar wrote:Sounds more like the issue is with escalation policy than extended.
"They wronged me so now I get to kill them" is both what undermines otherwise normal situations and is considered cornerstone to the game and thus sacrosanct.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #493201

cedarbridge wrote:
Hathkar wrote:Sounds more like the issue is with escalation policy than extended.
"They wronged me so now I get to kill them" is both what undermines otherwise normal situations and is considered cornerstone to the game and thus sacrosanct.
It wasnt always sacrosanct. In the olden days if you werent an antag you didnt kill folks unless you were 100% sure they were an antag and thus "valid." This lead to deadly force being rarely used because people actually risked getting a dayban for killing someone who wasnt a valid kill.

I will say it over and over, escalation was a fucking mistake.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #493209

Shadowflame909 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:but it was sent like 20 seconds before the round ends, since its round-end and thats when everyone realizes the griefer wasn't a traitor at all.

Wait, this is a thing? Why hasn't someone PR'd a fix or QoL feature or something for it yet?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #493212

because people have a strange aversion to ahelping things when they happen. as an admin I love it when someone ahelps a person who turns out to be an antag because it's extremely easy to sort out and usually comes with minimal drama or argument
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #493255

I know the "OOC>OBSERVE>CHECK MOOD as antag check is probably unintended but I love it so much because I'm the kind of person nervous about ahelping so it's nice to be able to check myself if someone is an antag before ahelping their actions
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493257

confused rock wrote:I know the "OOC>OBSERVE>CHECK MOOD as antag check is probably unintended but I love it so much because I'm the kind of person nervous about ahelping so it's nice to be able to check myself if someone is an antag before ahelping their actions
Yeah, that's probably not intended at all considering we shot down ghost antag huds for several pretty good reasons and this produces an almost-hud.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #493275

fixing it doesn't look like much of an emergency since it's been known for a while now
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #493289

bandit wrote:because people have a strange aversion to ahelping things when they happen. as an admin I love it when someone ahelps a person who turns out to be an antag because it's extremely easy to sort out and usually comes with minimal drama or argument
most people are worried about "oh but if it turns out to be an antag and the admin immediately says valid then the dead person might get cloned and know 100% that the person that killed them is an antag" but honestly if the guy fucking killed you and you didn't start the fight you'd be in the clear to kill them back if you got cloned anyway
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493318

Screemonster wrote:
bandit wrote:because people have a strange aversion to ahelping things when they happen. as an admin I love it when someone ahelps a person who turns out to be an antag because it's extremely easy to sort out and usually comes with minimal drama or argument
most people are worried about "oh but if it turns out to be an antag and the admin immediately says valid then the dead person might get cloned and know 100% that the person that killed them is an antag" but honestly if the guy fucking killed you and you didn't start the fight you'd be in the clear to kill them back if you got cloned anyway
Right, while an admin saying "valid" and nothing else is not something that you can safely take as "he's an antag" (most experienced admins will mask this in at least the appearance of an investigation to throw off that suspicion anyway) the odds are strong that you're probably safe to retaliate. The only exceptions to that are cases that involve our escalation policy (for reasons already discussed.)