Need some input on what to do after robusting a silicon

Snuffleupagus

Need some input on what to do after robusting a silicon

Post by Snuffleupagus » #499812

Seeing as I have some time on my hands and a cooler head need some input on a situation that took place the other day.

Spawn in as roboticist. I play a ligger. Borg spawns in. Does the usual "Oh hey a ligger!" hah hilarity. Hits me twice with something. At the time I didn't pay attention to what they smacked me with. I saw my health meter shift and was like "the fuck?" so they ran off. I caught them before they left and flashed them. Decommissioned them. First question is this okay?

Where I'm coming from I'm not at all protected by silicon laws. So I'm extra suspicious around borgs acting antag around me. I've had borgs attack me for little to no reason before outside of just being another race.

I was intending to put them back into a body, but as I was picking up the MMI I accidentally plopped the brain in my offhand because of some lag. I knew I needed mannitol, but figured they could wait. I was in the middle of making some medibots so figured I'd finish the medibots and then go about putting the brain back into the MMI and a body. Welp. Shit happened some hivemind stuff, and stuff between that and I forgot about the brain itself. This resulted in me being banned.

So this leads to my next question. If I was okay with the escalation and doing what I did, was the fuck up in that I should've placed them into a body immediately? And if that's a yes, than my next question is that you're to treat borg brains/MMI's like any other non silicon you remove from the round in that you take them to cloning/medbay? Again its confusing. Had a round earlier in the week where I was a peacekeeper borg. Literally did nothing outside of place some signs around the area where harm was being done and blare my warning alarm and someone sat in a nearby chair flashed me, took me to maint. Decommissioned me. Claimed I was malfunctioning. De-brained me. Proceeded to space my brain. I ahelped. The admin told me they weren't tator and it was valid.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Need some input on what to do after robusting a silicon

Post by Nabski » #499831

Pretty sure you're not supposed to kill silicons for following their laws and preventing harm, so I feel like that admin who said "IC issue" was wrong.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #499843

Nabski wrote:Pretty sure you're not supposed to kill silicons for following their laws and preventing harm, so I feel like that admin who said "IC issue" was wrong.
Did you even read the post? He spawned in and the borg hit him because haha not protected by asimov xd
personally that's enough reason for me to decomission and rebuild without AI sync to make sure they're not subverted, wearing flash protection when putting the MMI in and immediately killing and spacing them if they try to retaliate for being decomission over it

also you don't need mannitol just from decomissioning a borg or taking a brain out of an MMI as far as I know
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #499844

You shouldn't kill silicons for following their laws, but as a non-human I would permit self defense if they're attacking you (they don't have a law that states they must kill you, they choose that interpretation).

You should view borgs as players for the purpose of escalation with the caveat that you disrupting their lawset can be justification for them to escalate.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Snuffleupagus

Post by Snuffleupagus » #499846

terranaut wrote:
Nabski wrote:Pretty sure you're not supposed to kill silicons for following their laws and preventing harm, so I feel like that admin who said "IC issue" was wrong.
Did you even read the post? He spawned in and the borg hit him because haha not protected by asimov xd
personally that's enough reason for me to decomission and rebuild without AI sync to make sure they're not subverted, wearing flash protection when putting the MMI in and immediately killing and spacing them if they try to retaliate for being decomission over it

also you don't need mannitol just from decommissioning a borg or taking a brain out of an MMI as far as I know
Eh I didn't know that. I thought if you clicked the brain out of the MMI without gloves you had to grab mannitol. Also that's precisely what happened. They spawned in. Rolled up. Started calling me a ligger and then started hitting me. So I retaliated. I even said to the other roboticist after I decommissioned the borg: "I don't give a shit if you call me a ligger. But I'm not going to let you hit me." something to that effect.
Snuffleupagus

Post by Snuffleupagus » #499847

Cobby wrote:You shouldn't kill silicons for following their laws, but as a non-human I would permit self defense if they're attacking you (they don't have a law that states they must kill you, they choose that interpretation).

You should view borgs as players for the purpose of escalation with the caveat that you disrupting their lawset can be justification for them to escalate.
Aight ELI5. The first bit of the last sentence: "You should view borgs as players for purpose of escalation." so in other words them hitting me makes them valid, but I shoulda plopped them into another body?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #499897

Borgs are treated like humans in terms of escalation when laws don't apply, this has been the case for years now.

Seeing as this policy question has been answered, the thread had ought to be closed by a headmin. If this turns into a ban appeal, the thread will be closed by me.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Snuffleupagus

Post by Snuffleupagus » #499901

PKPenguin321 wrote:Borgs are treated like humans in terms of escalation when laws don't apply, this has been the case for years now.

Seeing as this policy question has been answered, the thread had ought to be closed by a headmin. If this turns into a ban appeal, the thread will be closed by me.
No one can outright answer me directly when I ask if they're to be handled like a regular crew-member. It wasn't strictly about escalation. It was in regards to what you're supposed to do with the borg afterwards. This pertains to the people who lockdown silicons and blow them up and go "I thought they were malfunctioning." without concretely knowing they're malf. It's a question that has yet to be specifically answered by any of the admin here and it really boils down to something as simple as "Yes you're to find the brain/MMI and place it into another shell. Just as if you are required to take someone who's a crewmember to medbay/cloning after you've finished mopping the floor with them."
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #499904

Snuffleupagus wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Borgs are treated like humans in terms of escalation when laws don't apply, this has been the case for years now.

No one can outright answer me directly when I ask if they're to be handled like a regular crew-member.
Well, they are. You could take the brain to cloning or just speak to it while it's in an MMI and try to get on good terms with it before putting it back into a borg shell. Simple as that.
Spoiler:
Snuffleupagus

Post by Snuffleupagus » #499907

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

No one can outright answer me directly when I ask if they're to be handled like a regular crew-member.
Well, they are. You could take the brain to cloning or just speak to it while it's in an MMI and try to get on good terms with it before putting it back into a borg shell. Simple as that.
That's what I was more or less asking. I'm not trying to start a policy discussion, just trying to get an interpretation on the rules and how to play the game overall. Thank you for clarifying that.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #499909

Snuffleupagus wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

That's what I was more or less asking. I'm not trying to start a policy discussion, just trying to get an interpretation on the rules and how to play the game overall. Thank you for clarifying that.
That's fine, and well within the board rules (in fact, clarifying policy questions IS a policy discussion). Glad I could help you get things sorted out!
Spoiler:
Snuffleupagus

Post by Snuffleupagus » #499913

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

That's fine, and well within the board rules (in fact, clarifying policy questions IS a policy discussion). Glad I could help you get things sorted out!
Yeah. I'm fine with this being locked and moved then PK. If you want to keep it open for another admin or something to comment that's cool. Otherwise Thanks again.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #499917

You should be able to self-lock threads you made, but sure
Spoiler: