Gateway

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Gateway

Post by wesoda25 » #501346

Bottom post of the previous page:

Disable gateway or limit it to announced extended. Fucking awesome how a lot of space loot is removed and then we re-enable powergamer: the quest. Literally rewards players for not contributing to the round by fucking off into the gateway, then returning with their OP loot that took 0 effort to acquire since half of the NPCs are broken. Then, things get even better when they start to self antag with said loot.

Alternatively limiting loot to cosmetic gear wouldn’t be all bad. But thats more code related not config.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Gateway

Post by Shadowflame909 » #503780

Arianya wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:TLDR: Burnt out players would do better killed off by off-station syndicate agents rather than harassing the players that still find some enjoyment in /tg/station.

I certainly don't like getting into escalation with asshats because they find it funny to rob me of an item I have in my hand at roundstart.
This theory makes a little bit of sense till you remember those same burnt out players come back with syndicate gear/wizard spells/whatever on station and antagonize people to try and get an excuse to use their shiny toys.
Fair. Then like all good loot. We should make it extremely hard to get.

Mining I would say is a good example of this. Only a handful of players can actively kill megafauna since they're so hard now. Ex: Kraso, Asher Clarke, Lexia Black

While the rest can kill tendrils, but hope they don't get stunned by a watcher and then legionified.

Yup. Mining is a pretty good example of good loot at an extremely hard cost I would say.
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #503792

deedubya wrote:
SkeletalElite wrote:
deedubya wrote:"Easy" solution: Make it so that Gateway is only enabled on 50+ players or green alert round. Amend gateway policy so that if the gateway is enabled and the captain/hop don't flag replacement jobs for the people that go off on the gateway mission, they should get a bwoinking, as it's technically their responsibility to make sure the station is adequately staffed. Those would solve the "understaffed station" issues that typically happen with the gateway.

As for the powergamer loot...if it's high pop or greenshift, what's the issue? By the time people get back from the gateway, a murderboner/validhunter would get absolutely memed on by a 50+ player manifest, and a greenshift would just get the offending player bwoinked out of existence. If you don't have anything cool in the gateway missions, nobody's going to give enough of a shit to run them.
Bwoinking the Captain/HoP because too many people decided they're bored and left the station is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Imagine being the captain and being on the bridge and just suddenly getting bwoinked, "why did you let people into the gateway"

"I didnt let anyone into the gateway wtf are you talking about they just law 2d the Ai and walked in"

"Thats it you're captain jobbanned"
Every gateway field trip I've seen has been organized by a head of staff. If you can't be bothered to spend a few minutes on an ID console flagging the missing jobs before you take half the station and fuck off on your lootquest, you deserve at least a warning.
If it requires admins to be online to enforce it, it's not a good solution.

Every gateway adventure I've taken so far goes one of two ways. I enter then die with some loot, or it's safe and boring so I just leave a minute later.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #503795

NoxVS wrote:Imagine seeing players leave the station for the gateway because its more fun and thinking the solution is to just remove the fun content
Gateway isnt fun though, its samey boring content people speedrun for the free guns or ignore
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #503796

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
SaveVatznick wrote:This solution also has multiple balancing levers. The number of initial implants on station. The price, and amount of extra implants that can arrive in Cargo. The place where the implants spawn. All this, in addition to the conditions of the Gateway activating. I feel like it'd put things in the hands of the crew.
I don't think entering the gateway should be a test of how fast were you able to rush the roundstart implants. God forbid if people start going "no you fucking suck at this game. I dont even know who you are. we're giving it to most robust player on the server right now"

If implants cost more than 5k then I imagine you aren't getting any unless you can be enough of a complete dickhead in cargo just long enough before you get arrested/killed by cargo techs/kicked out/someone reverts your purchase and orders random shit to spite you/etc.
Please read more carefully. I say that the implants would work alongside improved conditions for the gateway to activate, meaning they'd be worthless to rush roundstart. Furthermore, I think the cargo issue is a player / IC issue.

If the gateway is to be made less intrusive, I think it's reasonable to require a certain amount of attention from different departments (command for the implants, cargo to allow mass implantation for crew adventures, enginering/sci for activation or whatever). That makes the gateway still tethered to on-station content instead of a giant Time To Fuck Off machine for anyone who is bored. It also telegraphs gateway activation so antags can play around it.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
bigfatbananacyclops
Byond Username: Bigfatbananacyclops

Post by bigfatbananacyclops » #505304

gateway should be a station project and the coordinates should be obtained in some way-ideasguy

i quite honestly think gateway suits well for a actual telescience part of science but noone is gonna code that until i do. which ill probably never

its true that a lot of people usually just sits till the gateway opens, either because they are extremely bored or they do not roll antag(and when there's no gateway they sit there doing nothing until they suicide). however i think this is fading away, i do not see a crowd of people in the gateway anymore, but there's still those people who does.

meanwhile the gateway is really fun, only for the loot, most of the loot is meant for killing, no other benefit. there's no exploration or mystification.

gateway is meant to be something fun which you will usually never meta and enjoy exploring, but it sucks seen you've seen every gateway map and you know what it has and all that kinda loot, it's boring and there isn't anything else new to find, however, i think i had this sense of exploration more in the Snowdin map, the map's lower part was actually mysterious, i loved it and i had to go through many caves to find and explore new stuff.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #505316

Nabski wrote:If it requires admins to be online to enforce it, it's not a good solution.
Every single policy requires admins online to enforce it. There isn't a single violation of the rules or policy that is able to be self-governed.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #505999

Weeee haha gateway still cancer and headmins ignore thread hahaha cool!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #506363

the gateway is so fucking gay
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: