Is an MMI of a Blown Borg forced to rat on the rogue AI it was Sycned to

SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Is an MMI of a Blown Borg forced to rat on the rogue AI it was Sycned to

Post by SkeletalElite » #504047

So the AI is rogue, either by being a traitor or through subversion.

Someone blows the borgs, the MMI gets taken to robotics.
The Robotocists do not know the AI is rogue so they start to make a new borg shell and reborg the MMI.
Does the person in the MMI have to tell the roboticsts that the AI is rogue and stop themself from being borged.

For the purpose of the situation the person in the MMI was NOT an antag before being borged.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Is an MMI of a Blown Borg forced to rat on the rogue AI it was Sycned to

Post by NoxVS » #504049

In the past admins have told me you don't have to snitch on your AI if they are rogue/malf and you were made back into an MMI. Still it feels kinda iffy to allow yourself to be slaved to them again even with knowledge of them being rogue/malf
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #504052

A brain in an MMI is functionally like any other crewmember - not obliged to assist the crew in hunting a traitor nor penalised for withholding information.

A posibrain is a slightly more nuanced issue - as they have a on spawn flavourtext saying that they are crew-aligned and should assist the crew, but largely this flavourtext is at best lightly enforced and at worst not enforced at all, so...

The only real niggle in this is that we generally don't approve of people intentionally getting themselves antagonist status (i.e. walking into cult base shouting "CONVERT ME") - but given the brain in a MMI's complete helplessness I would say this is kinda messy to enforce on an administrative level for blown subverted borgs - simpler to just say categorically that they don't *have* to rat out a rogue AI/subverted laws/etc, in line with normal crew.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #504060

I always considered the original cyborg's MMI to be firmly on team synthetic and not crew-aligned
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #504126

There's a nonzero chance that ratting out the AI will result in the robo just dumping you down disposals if they don't know how to, or don't care to, unsync the shell from the AI. At the very least, you might be stuck in a bag or sitting on a table for the rest of the shift.

Anyway, it would feel weird to punish people for non-action. Being re-borged as an MMI or posi isn't the same as standing next to a cult base and hoping for the best.

Edit: it would also put Malf AIs in an odd spot. If someone blows the borgs for unrelated reasons (or no reasons), the AI would be ousted, even if it's being stealthy and getting the kills done in silence. The only way to prevent that would be hacking the borgs so that they don't drop an MMI, but that just means that competent robos will catch the borgs when they do upgrades or battery swaps, and will know the AI is Malf when they check the borg console to lock the borg down.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #504246

I would consider a rogue borg's MMI to be a purged silicon at that point. If he and the AI got along he's free to keep the AI's secrets. If the AI was a dick to him then he's free to rat him out.

For comparison a crewman is not required to tell the station that someone is a traitor if they find out. A brain in an MMI has no laws or anything obligating them to do anything.

If you want to force an MMI to reveal what it knows then rebuild it as an unsynced, asimov borg and order it to come clean.
--Crocodillo

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #504273

What does the flavortext say?

Whatever you WANT the posibrain to do doesn't matter if it isn't aligned with their flavortext.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #504278

Cobby wrote:What does the flavortext say?

Whatever you WANT the posibrain to do doesn't matter if it isn't aligned with their flavortext.
It pretty much says dont harm people and serve the crew but I never see it enforced by anyone. It says your highest priority is to do no harm yet I see posibrain mechs killing antags occasionally
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #504529

Bog = slave.
MMI = not slave/crew.
That's all that is needed to know, and the MMI could do what it wants. Imo it has always been like this, and has been a good way to interrogate a borg sans laws and messing around. Just people have been stupid for years and it's never been really utilized, despite malf being a mode for ages before.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #504866

sounds like the policy is already there, it's just admins aren't enforcing them?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #504871

For MMIs, there's no real policy set yet. Nothing prevents MMIs from staying quiet about the AI except if we apply self-antagging to it (which I believe is a stretch considering how little MMIs can do).

For Posis, the fluff text does say;
Remember, the purpose of your existence is to serve the crew and the station. Above all else, do no harm.
However, enforcing that in this situation puts malf AIs is a very weird place, and it'll feel weird to be bwoinking people for inaction. It'll be at the point where malfs have to powergame two steps ahead of everyone else just because some people like to blow the borgs up at the drop of a hat.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #505868

>Not taking the opportunity to be put in an unsynced cyborg shell and validhunt/surprise attack/ruin the round of the malf AI
smh

/joke

But yeah, we should change the posibrain greeting text to more accurately reflect our current posibrain policy/policies.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #505888

I did a PR that added support for posibrains with the Show Policy button, headmins should add a line of policy to it or someone should change the flavor text or whatever
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.