let medborgs inject the new chems

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Game Master

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
imsxz
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby imsxz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 pm #505079

yes, i know the new chems cause harm. currently, it is a violation of asimov to inject people with the new healing chems without explicit permission from the person beforehand.

for the sake of all individuals involved, i think it would be fine to allow medborgs to heal people with them so long as they're using the chems properly, despite the minor harm caused by injecting the chems.

this is not a discussion about whether or not the chems being injected currently violate asimov, because they do. this is more of a request to have an exception for them to avoid further headaches and dumb arguments.
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image



User avatar
Arathian
 
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm
Byond Username: Arathian

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Arathian » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:52 pm #505091

And this is why the new chems needed a bit more time to brew before being merged.

Aaaaanyway, yeah, we should add yet another law in the silicon policy to fix this for now.
Iron, blood and spider armies

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Malkraz » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:47 pm #505106

retard borgs will just click the medicine button and pump people full of them
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

User avatar
imsxz
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby imsxz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:36 am #505133

that is why i said used properly. using it improperly shows that you arent experienced enough with medical chems to play medborg.
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image

User avatar
Mickyan
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 pm
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Mickyan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm #505196

I'll be honest, maybe I'm just not the type to enjoy the rule-lawyering part of silicon gameplay but these kind of definitions of what constitutes as harm are as artificial as our artificial medical system allows

Is flashing harm? Is serving alcohol as serviceborg harm? They both do organ damage, but you don't get that immediate visual feedback from your HUD that tells you damage has occurred, so we pretend it doesn't exist. Is causing bleeding with surgery harm? It doesn't do any damage, not immediately, not anymore than feeding someone alcohol until their liver fails. Why are all of these things not equal? Is the AI required to stop all surgeries unless they hear explicit consent from the patient? Not really, I'm sure.

TL;DR common sense would dictate that if asimov mediborgs come equipped with something they are allowed to use it in good faith, whether those chems would be better replaced with something more appropriate is a different matter entirely
ImageI play as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.

User avatar
WarbossLincoln
 
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby WarbossLincoln » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:08 pm #505199

Yes. I would argue that under normal circumstances everyone should be considered to be consenting to the medicine needed to heal their wounds unless they say otherwise.
--Crocodillo

Image

User avatar
Denton
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Denton » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:59 pm #505211

Borgs shouldn't even be in this absurd situation in the first place. This is like giving peacekeeper borgs chloral hydrate instead of tirizene.
Image

User avatar
gum disease
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm
Location: England
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby gum disease » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:53 pm #505217

That is what I personally wanted. If I'm jabbing people with chemicals (if they're injured enough to require more than one hypo jab), I always double-check to make sure I've not ballsed anything up. With the new chems and their harmful effects, I've been doing this more often. I've tried very hard to do the tend wounds surgery, but the crux of the matter is that players do not want to lie down and have a borg operate on them for however long it takes to stitch up their injuries when they can be ambulatory and just use a bruise pack/ointment/spray/patch instead. At this point, if I'm Asimov - I just drag medkits to them and tell them to use those.

"Just do the tends wounds surgery" IMO is not a fun or engaging healing alternative for the borg player or their patient, and I do not see why they have to do this. Yes, the improved beaker PR that zxaber's made for mediborgs (I am hoping this will be merged soon) will mean that I can make my own healing chems that comply with Asimov, but that doesn't fix the underlying issue that Asimov is the default lawset. A human's health and well-being is prioritised under that lawset. Giving a borg a hypospray with chemicals that are cannot adhere to that lawset makes absolutely no sense. It also is very unfriendly to newer players who want to try borg out. I've already had to tell some players that they can't use their hypo on humans while Asimov (they've ahelped because they don't know what these new chemicals are) and they don't understand why.

I didn't really understand why this needed to be done in the first place, but that's neither here nor there. Mediborgs already had dexalin which was a weaker salbutamol. Peacekeeper borgs have synth-pax, which IIRC is the same as pax but it metabolises faster? Couldn't mediborg chems have just stayed the same, but instead could've been similar to synth-pax?
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby BeeSting12 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:09 pm #505230

Should just let mediborgs keep the trek chems.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
imsxz
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby imsxz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:15 pm #505232

this is a policy discussion not a code discussion
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby PKPenguin321 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:11 am #505249

imsxz wrote:this is a policy discussion not a code discussion

You are allowed to suggest potential code solutions in policy threads
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby BeeSting12 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 am #505252

imsxz wrote:this is a policy discussion not a code discussion

If a code solution works, 90% of the time it's better than a policy solution. That's why it's a good idea to inject code solutions into policy discussions- why make the list of rules bigger if we can just mechanically fix it?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby oranges » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 am #505273

Mickyan wrote:I'll be honest, maybe I'm just not the type to enjoy the rule-lawyering part of silicon gameplay but these kind of definitions of what constitutes as harm are as artificial as our artificial medical system allows

Is flashing harm? Is serving alcohol as serviceborg harm? They both do organ damage, but you don't get that immediate visual feedback from your HUD that tells you damage has occurred, so we pretend it doesn't exist. Is causing bleeding with surgery harm? It doesn't do any damage, not immediately, not anymore than feeding someone alcohol until their liver fails. Why are all of these things not equal? Is the AI required to stop all surgeries unless they hear explicit consent from the patient? Not really, I'm sure.

TL;DR common sense would dictate that if asimov mediborgs come equipped with something they are allowed to use it in good faith, whether those chems would be better replaced with something more appropriate is a different matter entirely

honestly this is the only sensible comment in this thread.

ATHATH
 
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 am
Byond Username: ATHATH

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby ATHATH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm #505866

Secborgs used to get a special message reminding them that they're supposed to follow Asimov above Space Law when they chose the secborg module. Maybe we could add a message that'd be displayed when you choose the mediborg module that'd explain what your weird borg chems do, warn you against just blindly injecting them into people, and remind you that healing humans with chems that cause damage as a side effect doesn't count as a breach of an Asimov borg's lawset?

Side question that's tangentially related to this: If a dying human (like, say, a human on low health who's in a low pressure area with no space suit on) tells you that they do NOT want you to inject them with these chems, can you still inject them with these chems in the name of law 1/saving their life (or does them dying due to refusing your healing count as "consensual harm")?

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Cobby » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:37 pm #506028

In my current WIP chem changes, Category 2's will be typed as such which will consequently flag on the borg hypo that it will cause side effects.

In a perfect world borgs should just be doing the med-less healing until their laws coincide with using side-effect inducing chems, but I also think there's a sound argument that the category twos are, by design,compliant with asimov in relation to our silicon policy: They fix immediate harm at the cost of longer-term harm. Borgs are permitted to prioritize lesser harm over greater future harm as explicitly stated in the rules.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
NoxVS
 
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Maintenance
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby NoxVS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 pm #506062

Cobby wrote:In my current WIP chem changes, Category 2's will be typed as such which will consequently flag on the borg hypo that it will cause side effects.

In a perfect world borgs should just be doing the med-less healing until their laws coincide with using side-effect inducing chems, but I also think there's a sound argument that the category twos are, by design,compliant with asimov in relation to our silicon policy: They fix immediate harm at the cost of longer-term harm. Borgs are permitted to prioritize lesser harm over greater future harm as explicitly stated in the rules.

However cyborgs arent allowed to cause harm to stop harm. With the chemical you are doing just that - causing harm to stop harm, even if its lesser and later.
Image

User avatar
Shaps-cloud
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:25 am
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Shaps-cloud » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:45 pm #506067

Hippocratic form of harm, doctors take the Hippocratic oath but are still allowed to administer chemotherapy, so harm in whatever sense that means
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.

Image

SkeletalElite
 
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 pm
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby SkeletalElite » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:18 pm #506070

If it's literally the only healing chem a borg has access to without using chemistry and you're using it in good faith, an admin would have to have a serious stick up their ass to bwoink you for it.

Why would nanotrasen equip their medical cyborgs with healing chems they're not allowed to use because muh harmies. The point of the chem is quite clearly to heal. Yes it technically causes damage, but don't think of it like its dealing damage, think of it has reducing their damage.

User avatar
teepeepee
 
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 am
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby teepeepee » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:55 pm #506074

SkeletalElite wrote:If it's literally the only healing chem a borg has access to without using chemistry and you're using it in good faith, an admin would have to have a serious stick up their ass to bwoink you for it.

Why would nanotrasen equip their medical cyborgs with healing chems they're not allowed to use because muh harmies. The point of the chem is quite clearly to heal. Yes it technically causes damage, but don't think of it like its dealing damage, think of it has reducing their damage.

the problem is not just the admins though, even if no OOC punishment befalls you, you're still open to IC consequences that may or may not be excessive (matter of oppinion)
that borg that just injected you a side-effect laden chem? he's rogue!! time to blow all borgs and card the AI
that's why this needs a clearing up asap, as funny as it may be to shit on silicons, current code is baiting them into falling into these kinds of situations and it would be nice to clear up wether the scenario I presented is valid emergent gameplay, plain old grief, or if a code solution should be applied to avoid the issue altogether

Tlaltecuhtli
 
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:55 am #506111

the chemicals are flawed not the rules, there will always be the one dude who will inject those chemicals on critically injured people causing their death

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby oranges » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 pm #506186

teepeepee wrote:
SkeletalElite wrote:If it's literally the only healing chem a borg has access to without using chemistry and you're using it in good faith, an admin would have to have a serious stick up their ass to bwoink you for it.

Why would nanotrasen equip their medical cyborgs with healing chems they're not allowed to use because muh harmies. The point of the chem is quite clearly to heal. Yes it technically causes damage, but don't think of it like its dealing damage, think of it has reducing their damage.

the problem is not just the admins though, even if no OOC punishment befalls you, you're still open to IC consequences that may or may not be excessive (matter of oppinion)
that borg that just injected you a side-effect laden chem? he's rogue!! time to blow all borgs and card the AI
that's why this needs a clearing up asap, as funny as it may be to shit on silicons, current code is baiting them into falling into these kinds of situations and it would be nice to clear up wether the scenario I presented is valid emergent gameplay, plain old grief, or if a code solution should be applied to avoid the issue altogether

you know we have rules that say don't be a dick, this is rediculous

User avatar
Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Space outside the Brig
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 pm #506288

I still don’t understand why oranges is so fanatical about defending a set of chems that were literally designed by a shithead to be bad and create as many problems as awful in order to make people hate him and his maintainers
Image
Image

Kryson
 
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Byond Username: Kryson

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Kryson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 pm #506294

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I still don’t understand why oranges is so fanatical about defending a set of chems that were literally designed by a shithead to be bad and create as many problems as awful in order to make people hate him and his maintainers


They were fully functional except for the borg law issue and way more elegantly designed than this interim implementation we have now until Cobby redoes all the healing chems.

User avatar
Davidchan
 
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 pm
Byond Username: Davidchan

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Davidchan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:17 pm #506298

NoxVS wrote:
Cobby wrote:In my current WIP chem changes, Category 2's will be typed as such which will consequently flag on the borg hypo that it will cause side effects.

In a perfect world borgs should just be doing the med-less healing until their laws coincide with using side-effect inducing chems, but I also think there's a sound argument that the category twos are, by design,compliant with asimov in relation to our silicon policy: They fix immediate harm at the cost of longer-term harm. Borgs are permitted to prioritize lesser harm over greater future harm as explicitly stated in the rules.

However cyborgs arent allowed to cause harm to stop harm. With the chemical you are doing just that - causing harm to stop harm, even if its lesser and later.

By that logic Medborgs shouldn't be allowed to surgery as the incision is by definition harm.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.

User avatar
WarbossLincoln
 
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby WarbossLincoln » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:07 pm #506308

Why is it so hard to allow a borg to assume that a human consents to medical treatment to heal them unless they are told otherwise?
--Crocodillo

Image

ATHATH
 
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 am
Byond Username: ATHATH

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby ATHATH » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 pm #506343

I think this issue is mostly resolved now because the new chems were changed (in a fantastic manner, might I add), yeah?

User avatar
NecromancerAnne
 
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 pm
Location: Don't touch me, motherfucker...
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby NecromancerAnne » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 am #506884

I don't think temporary blinding, deafening or fattening constitute harm so I think so. The only thing wonky that is left is that someone needs to adjust medibot injection rates since at the moment they are too liable to overdose.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Cobby » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:03 pm #507266

This is also more/less a nonissue since if they had harmful chems, they should just use the recently reworked beaker module to make a non-harmful chem.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
zxaber
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby zxaber » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 am #510598

I think this could be solved by simply ruling that any action which leaves all affected parties at a net positive or net neutral is not harmful. That is, even if an action causes harm, if the harmed individual is overall better off than before, it shouldn't be considered harm.

If a borg is attempting to drag a spaced and unsuited human back into the station, and the only possible entrance is blocked by a plasma fire, I wouldn't hold it against the borg for dragging the human through the fire if they then extinguished the human and brought them to safety. The human is a bit crispier than normal, but no longer in space and thus in a net positive over their prior situation. In the same way, if a mediborg injects a chem that heals a burn, but damages lungs for less, it's a net positive change. This would also more fully support borgs doing surgery, which is currently sorta hand-waved as "implied consensual harm".

Specifically saying "all affected parties" counters any attempt to rule lawyer it into allowing asimov borgs to kill human traitors with the argument of the crew as a whole being in a net positive.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
Image
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"

User avatar
gum disease
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm
Location: England
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby gum disease » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm #511140

Yeah, I would still appreciate a headmin ruling on this to put things to rest. Given that cobbychems are here to stay, I think having a clearly defined ruling on whether using these chems is kosher under Asimov would be ideal. I am still seeing players ask if the chems are allowed/informing others that they shouldn't use them. The beaker upgrade is very nice, but given that chem dispensers are a hot commodity - it is not a foolproof solution. There have been many times where I've attempted to make Asimov-compliant medicine and both dispensers are drained/stolen/in use by the chemists.

I agree with zxaber in the sense that if the Asimov borg takes steps to reasonably counter the damage caused by these chemicals, it should be permissible for them to use them on a human because they are doing things in good faith. Given that these chemical changes were made before a policy discussion was even proposed for this, I only think it's fair to keep to the status quo.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: let medborgs inject the new chems

Postby Cobby » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 pm #511443

I'm assuming they're ok to use unless anyone cares to state otherwise.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current


Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ayy Lemoh