We should reformat the rules section of our wiki

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

We should reformat the rules section of our wiki

Post by ATHATH » #507099

After reading this ban appeal, I realized that the rules page(s) of our wiki really need to be cleaned up. Although his actions were deplorable, I genuinely believe that jackrip didn't know that antag rolling was against our rules, and that was probably because he only read the main rules page, not the "headmin rulings" page. This is a genuine problem, since other people like him might be unaware of some of the rules that we've tucked away in the headmin rulings page in the future, causing this situation to repeat itself.

I propose that we consolidate all of our rules onto a single page that can easily be searched and/or cited, and which is clear/easy to read. I was told to propose this here instead of the #wiki section of our Discord server because the rules page is apparently moderated and uneditable by us plebeians.
Last edited by ATHATH on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Re: We should reformat the rules section of our wiki

Post by John_Gobbel » #507102

I don't believe that this is the link you wanted to post under "this ban appeal" . And instead wanted to post this: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=23210
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #507104

John_Gobbel wrote:I don't believe that this is the link you wanted to post under "this ban appeal" . And instead wanted to post this: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=23210

I'll, uh, just fix that...
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #507189

One thing I can definitely agree on is that when I first started playing I didn't even know the headmin rulings page on the wiki existed until I had been linked to it. It's literally not referenced anywhere in the rules.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #507273

SkeletalElite wrote:One thing I can definitely agree on is that when I first started playing I didn't even know the headmin rulings page on the wiki existed until I had been linked to it. It's literally not referenced anywhere in the rules.
I think it actually is linked to at the bottom of the rules page, IIRC.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #507293

This is because the rules page is only editable by headmins.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #507357

ATHATH wrote:
I propose that we consolidate all of our rules onto a single page that can easily be searched and/or cited, and which is clear/easy to read.
Without trying to be snarky or dismissive - go ahead. You can put a copy of the rules page on your own user space in the wiki and edit it and then present it as a proposal.

While I'll agree the rules are messier then they ideally should be, I also don't think there's an easy route to condensing/cleaning them up that doesn't involve removing rules wholesale that we do need - heck, the headmin ruling page was created arguably to avoid cluttering up the rules page with more edge case examples, something which is a real issue on the rules page as it exists.

The easiest one is probably to put the headmin rulings link somewhere more visible then the bottom of the page, and maybe headmins could undertake to shift niche/edge case rules into headmin rulings and more general rulings into proper rules, but it's hardly an easy thing to do and would require a lot of drafting (and even then you might end up with unintended side effects)
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #507368

I can help with this reformatting if there are interested parties. Can contact me through Discord.

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.