Kill and Clone

deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Kill and Clone

Post by deedubya » #511396

Yes, I know a lot of people think it's a meme. But it's not, at least not completely. It's not only within the realm of realistic expectations currently, but some people actually do it. I've only ever seen it done to people in massive crit(150+ damage) or just a refusal to defib(technically already dead), but it is a thing. My question is; how should this be treated as it relates to policy?

For my opinion, I think it's mostly an IC issue, at least if the patient is in crit. If someone gets dragged into medbay in critical condition, a doctor has to make a series of choices based on a large number of circumstances. Circumstances can include: Patient injury type and levels, patient backlog, medicine availability, medicine quality, cryo availability, cloner upgrade status, medbay integrity, and a doctor's own morals. Euthanasia, assisted suicide, DNR orders, and the option to take someone off life support all exist IRL, so I think it's reasonable to expect similar cases in a horizontal spessmen simulator where death is generally treated as a major inconvenience, rather than a true end. If a CMO/Captain has an issue with your methods of treatment however, they are fully within their rights to demote you or maybe even brig you for it. (Not policy related, but perhaps we should add Malpractice as a space law violation?)

Although, I do think it should be warnable if a pattern emerges. Such as is currently done for other line-toeing behaviors. And the obvious scenario of toolboxing someone that came in without being in crit should obviously remain bannable, unless consent is given.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Kill and Clone

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #511408

if a doctor doesnt know shit about his job i ll prefer being cloned while crit than having a medbay wild ride featuring 10 min of cryo if he is taking other docs patients that are actually trying to heal to throw them in the cloner then its valid to beat his ass dead and clone ⌥ banbait ban if he ahelps and job ban
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #511413

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:if a doctor doesnt know shit about his job i ll prefer being cloned while crit than having a medbay wild ride featuring 10 min of cryo if he is taking other docs patients that are actually trying to heal to throw them in the cloner then its valid to beat his ass dead and clone ⌥ banbait ban if he ahelps and job ban
Imagine saying this but unironically. Good lord dude.

As for actually killing and cloning people?

Don't. You can bring someone fairly easily out of hard crit with the surgeries and brute/burn kits or cryo my guy. Ain't that hard. Just don't be a fucking dumbass.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #511426

Killing and cloning is still faster with an fully upgraded cloner than cobbychems
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #511430

Wait is this against the rules specifically

I always kept it in the back of my mind as an option if someone's like hella fucked up (several limbs missing and medbay is already busy) as a sort of last ditch triage. If people are circsawing people to death because they have minor organ damage, that's stupid and not very doctorly I guess
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #511441

So long as cloning exists I don't really see this as an issue.

If you trust someone to actually kill you instead of you just laying down and taking surgery then not much I can do lol.

Some people just need a reset, I don't think it's bad to do that.
Timonk wrote:Killing and cloning is still faster with an fully upgraded cloner than cobbychems
what kind of damage are you taking lol... Maybe rads? I can see that.

Otherwise I think you're just not using the tools you have available to their fullest potential.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #511446

Most advanced chems and even cryo is simply better than outright killing and cloning. Organ replacements are kind of a bitch to harvest early but monkeys are just the room over from the cloner if you need organs.

Hell honestly, why no resleeve into a monkey human? Take their body, copy their identity, put it on a monkey human, take out and swap the brains, defib. Boom. Back to life, good as new. Flawless and it takes almost no time at all.

Of course, humans only...
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #511474

I've tried to not use cloning and it's quite possible to heal people up with TW on Stasis Bed > Defib > Heal faster than the default cloner will churn out bodies. T4 idk but the upgraded ones are probably not as fast as that either if you use upgraded surgeries.

The whole kill and clone meme is dumb in most cases, it's just a funny meme to spout. I'm saying that as a doctor player, not the person who coded it.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #511480

The thing with Cryo and the cloner are that they're set and forget solutions. TW>defib is faster than an un-upgraded cloner, but that requires active effort to do. Not a viable solution when you've got multiple crits and stiffs on the shuffle.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #511484

even your kill and clone (tm) device has that issue though outside of maybe a BYOS, in which case you should build with TW>Defib in mind
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #511802

This is more of a code than policy issue -- ideally the medical and cloning systems would be such that killing and cloning would be an unattractive last resort option, not the other way around.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #511810

go full eclipse phase and have mental traumas that are built up and up each time you legitimately die and get crammed into a cheap sleeve, up to and including complete personality shift (having some random other ghost take over your body) or other !!FUN!! things that make death something you would really rather avoid even if you can be brought back
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #512131

Why would I waste my time on an organ damaged mess with the chance of them dying on me more than once rather than just cloning them
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #513640

time to nerf cloner more I guess
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #514014

Screemonster wrote:go full eclipse phase and have mental traumas that are built up and up each time you legitimately die and get crammed into a cheap sleeve, up to and including complete personality shift (having some random other ghost take over your body) or other !!FUN!! things that make death something you would really rather avoid even if you can be brought back
This would make people very angry
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #514022

4dplanner wrote:
Screemonster wrote:go full eclipse phase and have mental traumas that are built up and up each time you legitimately die and get crammed into a cheap sleeve, up to and including complete personality shift (having some random other ghost take over your body) or other !!FUN!! things that make death something you would really rather avoid even if you can be brought back
This would make people very angry
good
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #514182

The cloner always giving you some sort of permanent defect would make the alternatives a lot more attractive.

It keeps the cloner in the game while providing an actual choice: Do I want the quick and easy route while potentially screwing someone up, or take the long way of revival surgery and patching up their broken bodies.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #514196

Better would be to just have the cloner print catatonic bodies that you can use to swap the brain of the dead guy into. This is more a discussion about code than it is about policy.
Recurracy
Byond Username: Recurracy

Post by Recurracy » #514199

Yakumo_Chen wrote:time to nerf cloner more I guess
this is a serious issue - people seem to think that nerfing medbay out the ass improves things, it doesn't
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #514201

As long as the doc is acting in good faith (i.e. he's actually trying to get the patient back on his feet, not just killing and throwing him in the clone queue and forgetting about him) it should fall into "banning for incompetence" territory, which I think admins don't like to do.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #514224

If someone will die without your help, there is zero wrong with lettin em rot and cloning them. If they’re just standing there with an arm lopped off and you wordlessly kill em, you got an issue.

If they have jungle fever its fair game and if anyone says otherwise deadmin them immediately
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #514375

Dr_bee wrote:Better would be to just have the cloner print catatonic bodies that you can use to swap the brain of the dead guy into. This is more a discussion about code than it is about policy.
l-l-like empty cloning?
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #514388

Cobby wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:Better would be to just have the cloner print catatonic bodies that you can use to swap the brain of the dead guy into. This is more a discussion about code than it is about policy.
l-l-like empty cloning?
Yep, but ONLY empty cloning. Possibly a way to just print the organs themselves using it as well.

Clones with ghosts in them would only be available via the space ruin prototype cloner.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #514391

What is the point of this thread
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #514467

vent thread
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #515100

Yakumo_Chen wrote:time to nerf cloner more I guess
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #515117

AKA nobody will use the cloner and people are permadead unless medbay is graced with strange reagent.

I tried an event where if anyone tried to make a cloner or replace the one I removed from medbay, I'd destroy it. I gave them a third surgery room and additional monkey cubes. More importantly, only one geneticist, so a genetic pod was free. This was a traitor round. People either used strange reagent or they threw the body into the morgue.

I have genuine concerns our playerbase are such animals at times that a semi-reasonable amount of effort on their part would prove to be too much. We have no minimum standard of competency in jobs or roles and we have no desire to enforce any specific requirements needed to being back people who died outside of your efforts. As a result, we can't really force anyone to use complex methods to bring people back into the round or treat them in a non-destructive way (like kill and clone before upgrades).

We could speculate on what would be healthier gameplay all we like. But at the end of the day the bleak reality of it is that we probably are more likely to see extreme laziness on the part of players unless heavily incentivized not to be so.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #515175

NecromancerAnne wrote:
AKA nobody will use the cloner and people are permadead unless medbay is graced with strange reagent.

I tried an event where if anyone tried to make a cloner or replace the one I removed from medbay, I'd destroy it. I gave them a third surgery room and additional monkey cubes. More importantly, only one geneticist, so a genetic pod was free. This was a traitor round. People either used strange reagent or they threw the body into the morgue.

I have genuine concerns our playerbase are such animals at times that a semi-reasonable amount of effort on their part would prove to be too much. We have no minimum standard of competency in jobs or roles and we have no desire to enforce any specific requirements needed to being back people who died outside of your efforts. As a result, we can't really force anyone to use complex methods to bring people back into the round or treat them in a non-destructive way (like kill and clone before upgrades).

We could speculate on what would be healthier gameplay all we like. But at the end of the day the bleak reality of it is that we probably are more likely to see extreme laziness on the part of players unless heavily incentivized not to be so.
Pull off the bandaid.