golems, revs, and cults

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

golems, revs, and cults

Post by ATHATH » #512852

Let's say you're a servant golem named Adamantine Memicus and your master is John Doe. You go and do normal golem things until, suddenly, you get converted to a cult or a revolution! While you are a cultist/revolutionary, John Doe is not.

Who do you serve above all else: John Doe or the cult/revolution?

What if John Doe has told you to go "do whatever"? Can you aid the cult in their goal of summoning Nar-Sie, or would that be considered to be ensuring the doom/death of your master?

Do servant golem allegiances persist after you get polymorphed into a simplemob?
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Re: golems, revs, and cults

Post by ATHATH » #512853

Terranaut also brought up on Discord the possibility of a traitor getting converted to the side of a revolution or a cult and realizing that one of their assassination targets is on their team. Can they still try to assassinate that target, even though they're their "ally"?
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #512855

The reason I bring this up is because the servant golem greeting text says that "This will never change unless your creator's body is destroyed.", with "This" referring to your creator being your master.

Can brainwashing turn a golem against its master?

Also, I just noticed that there's a missing apostrophe in the word "creator's" in the greeting text for servant golems. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #512859

Is this even possible? I thought golems and the like had built in mindshields and were unable to be converted, they could only inherit it from their creator.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #512865

Golems get converted normally (I have been flashed and rev'd by a headrev as a golem)

Also if you are a rev or cultie and make a golem, said golem starts as rev or cultie.
Iron, blood and spider armies
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #512877

I have always been told that conversion rules override roundstart or spawn rules. If you're a blood brother but a rev converts you, you have to kill your brother if he's fighting you and you have to accomplish the revolution's goals even if it will make you redtext.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #512888

NoxVS wrote:Is this even possible? I thought golems and the like had built in mindshields and were unable to be converted, they could only inherit it from their creator.
Golems inherit creator factions, including antagonist factions and status. A golem made by a cultist will also be a cultist.

In my opinion, the golem serves the faction when this occurs as I do not believe a golem can be deconverted traditionally, unless implanters can penetrate golem skin.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #512906

since this also applies to dynamic in general Ive always seen it as, Conversions over single antags. you can still do single antag stuff but not to the detriment of the overall team antag. so in the case of a golem they would have to try and convert their unconverted master but try to not directly harm them themselves.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #512958

Naloac wrote:since this also applies to dynamic in general Ive always seen it as, Conversions over single antags. you can still do single antag stuff but not to the detriment of the overall team antag. so in the case of a golem they would have to try and convert their unconverted master but try to not directly harm them themselves.
If I recall correctly this was it. Team supersedes individual objectives.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #513019

Seems to me that a code solution preventing golems from being converted at all would be the ideal solution. If their master gets converted, they could just order the golem to help the team out anyway.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #513163

Team Directives > Master Directives > Individual Directives
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #515790

After a bit of discussion we've settled on the following:

In general as has always been precedent, team antagonists take priority over other antagonistic goals. You're still allowed to complete those goals, but not if it would be a detriment to the team. This is and will be the case in almost all circumstances.

However, in the case of brainwashing/being granted sentience you are being created and molded to serve a direct purpose, or in the case of brainwashing have had your head modified to outright obey that purpose. As such we've settled on the following hierarchy in the instance of things like dynamic game mode causing conflict between two people who are both technically on teams:

Brainwashing/construct orders/Silicon Laws -> Cult -> Revs -> Blood Brother -> Wizard Apprentice/Abductor Teams/Other niche antags -> Nuke Ops -> Traitors

The reasoning for those: The brainwashing group i've already explained, but with the addition of silicon laws in that these are things you cannot refute. They are part of your very programming and being. Cult is next because you've been touched by an eldritch abomination of a god and want to do whatever you can to please them. Revs come after because it is a minor form of brainwashing, although you can snap out of it with the right circumstances. Blood Brothers follow because ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind. Wizard apprentice is a general category to explain all the other side antag positions that can come up where you're still technically part of a team. Nuclear Operatives are last because you're mostly just doing a job and getting paid for it.

In the vast majority of all games you shouldn't have to rely on this at all, and as always you can still act on your other antagonistic goals as long as it's not harming your team, but this hierarchy serves as a useful reference for those instances when you do have vastly conflicting goals and aren't sure which ones you should be following.

A good example of this is if you're blood brothers with a head of staff and become a revolutionary. Your rev goals take priority over your blood brother goals, so you would now consider them an enemy. They would be entitled to defend themselves against you, or perhaps try to deconvert you.

To emphasize, this is not to say you can't accomplish all your goals within the confines of also helping your team. This is to say that if you're in a situation where you have to choose one or another, this makes it clear which you should be choosing.